Reviews Categories | Amplifiers: RF Power - HF & HF+6M | GBHS HAL 600 solid state linear amplifier Help

Reviews Summary for GBHS HAL 600 solid state linear amplifier
GBHS HAL 600 solid state linear amplifier Reviews: 6 Average rating: 4.0/5 MSRP: $2250
Description: Solid state HF linear amplifier , made in Italy by GBHS.
600W 160-10m, the production include also a new 1200W version with 6m included
More info: http://www.gbhs.it

You can write your own review of the GBHS HAL 600 solid state linear amplifier.

I2YSB Rating: 5/5 Apr 23, 2019 17:55 Send this review to a friend
Great amp for DXpedition  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
We used HL1200 from 9X0T and 5X3C Dxpedition.
Over 51,000 QSOs, in CW. No problem, we decided to buy two amplifiers, Bravo Giordano, great job
Silvano i2ysb IDT Team

HZ1FI Rating: 1/5 Feb 19, 2018 03:17 Send this review to a friend
GBHS weak support  Time owned: more than 12 months
Review of the HF amplifier HAL1200 Atlantic from GBHS Italy

Features of the PA:
All Amateur Bands, 160m 6m, Automatic Band Change, Output Power : 1000W CW of HF, 500 W CW on 6 meters, 4 x SD2933 as final Transistors

I am really disappointed about this kind of PA and the manufacturer.

Weak temperature concept:
The temperature concept is weak. If you start transmitting, the temperature of the PA will increasing fast and fans are starting to run. After about 30 seconds transmitting with full power, all fans are on with maximum speed. Because of the noise, you need a headphone. It is very loud. I cannot recommend this PA for contests or DX expeditions. If you have only 1 contest QSO per minute and do not call CQ, the PA will be OK, but if you transmit 50% or more of your time (like CQ or more QSO per minute), the PA will be very hot and will switch off automatically.

Noise from the power supply or display:
If you switch the PA on, you will hear a noise (QRN) on the higher bands. I was not measuring it, but definitely you will hear it, maybe 1 or 2 S-steps noise is coming from the PA. When you work weak stations is not nice when this noise comes into the DX-Stations.

Weak automatic Band switching:
In CW and RTTY the automatic band switching is working well. In SSB sometimes the PA is switching to another band if you transmit. If this happens, the PA will switch of immediately, because of bad SWR. The unexpected band switching happens often, so I decided to switch the bands manually, automatic band switching in SSB is impossible. When I connected the PA to my TRX, I got a CAT Error, but I do not exactly is it my station or the PA itself and I was not trying to find where the problem is.

Difficult to reduce output power to low levels:
You can switch to maximum power (1200 watts) or to the half of power (600 watts). If you would have less, for this PA it works not well. With less input power, the output will be 0 watts till a certain level of input power. At this point the PA will start to send with a power close to the maximum power. So, if you try to send with 250W or 700W, this will not be possible.

Protection Circuits:
The documentation of the PA shows, there are a lot of protection circuits included (bad SWR, Overload, Temperature etc.) In real it is not properly working. I was not working hard with the PA, but the final transistors damaged after a half year of use because of temperature.

Very bad service from the manufacturer (GBHS):
After my final transistors damaged (within the guarantee time) I sent my PA in August 2017 to the manufacturer. He wants to repair the PA only when I pay the repair. After 5 months of sharing a lot of e-mails the manufacturer had every time another excuse, why this case will not be his fault. To my questions about the protection circuits, never he was answering. After 5 months (December 2017) he asked me again to pay the repair, because of a mechanical damage, like transportation harm, what is not part of the guarantee. Before, in all the other e-mails never he mentioned harm like this.

Conclusion:
I cannot recommend this PA and this manufacturer. In my active time I made more than 250000 QSO. In 2017 I made about 30000 QSO (5Z4/DL2RMC, HZ1FI, ZA/DL2RMC and QSOs from home). My plan was to use this PA for my expeditions, what never was possible. Maybe I did 20 or 30 QSO with the HAL1200.

Best 73
Tom

DK6MP Rating: 3/5 Jul 3, 2016 03:35 Send this review to a friend
Good for Jumping between the Bands , Poor for Waeak Signals !  Time owned: more than 12 months
i had this Very Quick , Small and Easy to Use Amplifier .

I Love it to Jump from Station to Station , from Band to Band.

But the PowerSuplay or the Display makes Noise on 10-20m Band
( i have Videos were you can see the Wandering Noise on Waterfall )
When you work VERY Weak Stations is not real Cool when this noise comes into the DX-Stations when you think they call you in Pile UP

Also i get a CAT Error with the TS590SG .
( my Mail with the Cat Error i write in the Time of Warranty to the Manufacturer GBHS )
I Wait more than a Half Year for an Update
( then the PA was not longer in Warranty )

The Manufacturer will only fix that Cat issue only when i pay Porto around 40-50 to the Manufacturer and 44 back , also Around 80-95

Thant's not good Support for a PA with 600 Watts for 1800

i run the PA in Automode but in this mode you can`t fine adjust the Output Power !!!

i Sell it an buy y Better Product !
What not generate Noise on the Bands !!!

PA0RTU Rating: 5/5 Feb 19, 2016 07:08 Send this review to a friend
excellent  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I gave a review a few months ago, but now after almost a year I will express my former feelings about this excellent amplifier. I have used and still use this HAL 600 every day on 3630 KHz. Of course I made several mistakes during tuning and I always was afraid something went wrong due to my mistuning, too much input power etc. Yes the red warning light went on, pushed the OK button and again it worked again like just from the factory. I love this little amplifier. Its worth several plusses. 10++++ de pa0rtu, Klaas

ON5CQ Rating: 5/5 Oct 12, 2015 12:18 Send this review to a friend
state of art amp  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
hallo here ON5CQ before buy this amp i'le have following giardano for several years and have make contact with diferent owners of this amp i'le gave this amplifier now for three weeks and nothing than good results i'am agree with the other users of this amp this state of art this amp is this money well wort thanks to giardano bonini the manufactore real 5 73's philip from belgium

IK2RGT Rating: 5/5 Apr 19, 2014 02:09 Send this review to a friend
"State of the art" amplifier  Time owned: more than 12 months
I followed the birth of this new amp since the beginning and I own the first one ever made by Giordano IW2ANU (owner of the company).
It's in my shack sinde February 2013.
Well, I've to say that is a "state of the art" amplifier, completely microprocessor controlled including automatic bandswitch via RS232 on the back panel.
The test "on the field" was extremely hard during pre-production, also by using this amp during the last 2 dxpedition by MDXC in 2012 (9N7MD) and 2013 (S21ZBC).
Once in the shack you can install and forget:it works flawlessly, all the protections are very well made.
You can find also the english manual and carachteristics on the web site.
73's Emanuel, IK2RGT - W7RGT