Reviews Categories | Transceivers: HF Amateur HF+6M+VHF+UHF models - not QRP <5W | Yaesu FT-920 Help

Reviews Summary for Yaesu FT-920
Yaesu FT-920 Reviews: 177 Average rating: 4.7/5 MSRP: $2299
Description: Yaesu FT 920 HF/6M Transceiver
More info: http://www.wm7d.net/hamradio/ft920/

You can write your own review of the Yaesu FT-920.

KC7MF Rating: 5/5 May 31, 2018 14:44 Send this review to a friend
A Surprisingly Good Radio  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I gave this radio a 5. I did so because of the value it represents these days. Is it the equal of a FT-5000? Of course not. But for someone with a limited budget it is a great choice compared to some of the modestly priced new radios.

This is a big radio and mostly analog. Everything you need is right in front of you. As the previous reviewer said, you will want to study the manual and practice with this rig to get the most out of it.

Comparing it to the FT-1000D it fares pretty well. It is not quite as quiet but darned close. It does have DSP and it is easy to use and useful which is more than I can say for some versions of DSP out there. The listening experience with this radio is similar to my ProIII. Pleasant. I should note here that I never review a receiver with it built in speaker. I always recommend a high quality external speaker. Currently it is backing up the Icom IC-756proIII but not because its receiver is any "worse". I am simply used to the extended feature set on the ProIII.

I disagree with the previous reviewer on one minor point. I think this would be a wonderful first rig. It will give the new operator the opportunity to learn about what all of the features do while not being so technical that they get lost in the details.

So rather than go over old ground so well covered by other reviewers I would simply say that I would recommend this radio for anyone with any level of ability and experience. It is a very good radio available now at a great price. I think I will keep it for awhile.

2E0HVC Rating: 5/5 Mar 19, 2018 09:57 Send this review to a friend
Superb rig  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
OK so I am a relative newcomer to Ham Radio (14 months) and I started HF with a Kenwood TS570DG. Perhaps I upgraded a little too early but have never regretted buying the FT920. Now I have got my head out of the manual it is a real pleasure to use and never ceases to amaze me when the frequency is crowded. Good audio reports even at low signal levels. Too complicated for a beginner? well probably, but well worth getting to know this rig. Definitely a keeper.
FT920 vs TS570DG, the Kenwood is an excellent first rig, the FT920 may be too complicated as a first rig, unless you are prepared to spend a lot of time reading the manual and practising, or have good support from your local club.
Thanks to everyone who reviewed this rig and helped me make this excellent purchase.

W0BKR Rating: 5/5 Mar 15, 2018 04:44 Send this review to a friend
Great Performer..PERIOD!  Time owned: more than 12 months
Sold my new radio, decided to use/keep my FT-920. Nuff said!

W0BKR Rating: 5/5 Mar 16, 2017 06:24 Send this review to a friend
Great Radio even today!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have owned and let some of the 920s go over the years and always regret it. I so enjoy using the radio and its excellent performance, I suppose I get blind sided by newer radios with more bells and whistles. Sad it was never "upgraded" to a D model or something but still, an excellent value today. Receiver performance is stellar even if no IF DSP (has AF DSP) which suits me fine. Easy to use, understand and likely never need the manual.

N2MAQ Rating: 4/5 Nov 9, 2016 16:09 Send this review to a friend
Nice rig but   Time owned: 0 to 3 months
First let me say I really like this rig. A problem
popped up last night. While talking on 10 meters to a local buddy I was trying a new mic. playing with speech proc. and power output settings when I noticed I could only turn power down and it was actually showing over 100 watts output no matter where the knob was set. This may or may not become a issue. Otherwise its a very nice rig.

KI4FQZ Rating: 1/5 Sep 16, 2016 22:28 Send this review to a friend
Yaesu's Shameful Rig  Time owned: more than 12 months
The FT 920 is an extremely ergonomic and physically attractive rig packed with excellent features. Also exceedingly simple to operate, and capable of excellent audio quality and most definitely a nice hot receive with very discerning audio with an undoubtedly smooth quality. Very pleasant to listen to. And with it's automatic antenna tuner which operates flawlessly, it creates a wonderful experience for the seasoned and new ham alike.
Now the bad news. At the rather pricey purchase cost, and all it's technological features, I believe Yaesu should be ASHAMED to have built such a beautiful rig with the intention of making it completely disposable. The processor section of the rig is no longer available, and Yaesu no longer supports the rig at all.For a beautiful rig of this caliber, it is absolutely shameful that if one encounters a bad processor that they must just "throw it away" and purchase another Yaesu product that they hope will not follow suit. I have since purchased a Kenwood 950 SDX....who's is actually still supported. Again...a shame. I used to really like Yaesu products until this experience. Well....you live, and you learn.

JP1DJV Rating: 5/5 Aug 17, 2016 06:28 Send this review to a friend
weak signal catcher  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Quiet receiver performs clean and gentle sound on both SSB and CW. Easy and quick controls, big sub-dial provides easy tuning. Quick split operation. NR is effective enough. Digital Band Pass Filter works well in some situation. Strongly recommended radio for all weak-signal seekers.

AK6ZZ Rating: 5/5 Oct 7, 2015 16:42 Send this review to a friend
Back again fourth time  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I just purchased another FT920 for the fourth time in five years. For some reason I keep coming back to this model. This time I bought a very nice condition fully loaded unit with the inrad roofing filter mod and the switchboard mods for SSB and CW. It also have the AM board. I really liked the rigs I have owned in the past but with these mods it is a really nice performer. For $700, I just couldn't pass it up. My next mod will be to install the RTL SDR for the panadapter and it will be complete. So happy to have one on the desk again. It has so many nice features like autotuner, separate receive antenna, that it is hard to believe that they are so inexpensive. Mine was also calibrated before I received it so it also puts out full power which is sometimes an issue with this model. So far so good. I don't plan to sell this unit ever.

KG4FET Rating: 4/5 Jul 6, 2015 15:56 Send this review to a friend
great RX'er  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This rig's been on the bench only a few days, but supplanted the TS2K on day one for HF operation. It came to me as an AF model which was MUCH more then I expected, so has the AM bypass board, FM module, and the 500 CW filter. Yes I am aware the DSP is AF, not IF but this 920 can hear things the 2K can't and it's MUCH easier on the ears. NR works great, takes the annoying summer band noise almost out WITHOUT distorting signals like the 2K. The giant LC/HC knobs are easy to find and with a graphic display of the band pass it's great. Step attenuation is a big plus with 6/12/18db most rigs it's 18 or nothing. Menu system is easy to get around in and you can adjust carrier off sets of both Sidebands and the carrier offset for the Processor too! Only reason I gave it a 4 over a 5 is I am still trying to get the audio out just right and I have not run it on PSK31 yet. There will be a much more comprehensive review in the future.

WB4JJI Rating: 4/5 Apr 30, 2015 19:19 Send this review to a friend
Add the inrad filter for decent cw  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Bought one used to go with my kx3 elecraft from KE7FD(nice guy). I also have a Icom 746 pro. The Yaseu FT-920 with its wider filters sounds really nice. That however could be its downfall. Love to listen to am, bbc, shortwave etc on it. If you like cw get the inrad filter, although it is somewhat expensive it sure make cw a lots easier. It is, however, almost impossible to beat the kx3 in cw.