Reviews Categories | Transceivers: HF Amateur HF+6M+VHF+UHF models - not QRP <5W | FlexRadio FLEX-6300 Help

Reviews Summary for FlexRadio FLEX-6300
FlexRadio FLEX-6300 Reviews: 52 Average rating: 4.7/5 MSRP: $2,499
Description: FLEX-6300 for the Serious Amateur

The FLEX-6300™ is for the amateur operator who wants to
experience the magic of software defined radio in the
highest performance 100W transceiver family available today.
The FLEX-6300 provides an entry point into multi-dimensional
amateur radio operations from CW to the latest digital
modes. Providing dual panadapters and waterfall displays,
as well as two full-performance slice receivers, the FLEX-
6300 opens up new operating capabilities at an affordable
price.
More info: http://www.flexradio.com/amateur-products/flex-6000-signature-series/flex-6300/

You can write your own review of the FlexRadio FLEX-6300.

N2DTS Rating: 5/5 Aug 19, 2018 04:13 Send this review to a friend
VERY good!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I got a used one direct from Flex, very fast shipping (same day).
I needed tech support because the first time you fire up the radio it has to be connected to the web along with the computer (to get the software licence).
Flex responded in under one hour.

Very good performance, and I really like the new software. It seems to do everything I would want.

I can see it not being a contest radio though, not because of the performance, but you can hit something by mistake and hose things up and not know what is going on, the radio (software) can do some crazy stuff, like switching to vfo b by mistake and not knowing what is going on.
You can also push the panadaptor from one band to another, for example, you can click on the 80 meter tab and tune down to 160, and if you hit the 80 meter button its still where you left it (on 160 meters).

The hardware seems great, the fan can make some noise when its on high but you don't have to have the radio close. The software is really the major thing and I find it very easy to figure out and use for all the basic operations. Most stuff is right on the screen for adjustment with very limited things in menu's.

CW seems to work great, audio out on RX and TX seems great, the only minor issue I can find is the delay through the radio on TX is high on phone.
The Anan had less delay (latency) and the Elad has almost none.
The Elad (FDM DUO) standalone has almost no latency from the microphone to the antenna, the Flex has quite a bit. The Anan had a small amount when low latency filter option was selected...
Somehow they get CW to work really well though.

The antenna tuner has been able to match everything, it has a memory, but takes a while to tune when it needs to.

The global profile is very handy, it remembers all the settings, frequency, levels, mode, antenna tuner settings, EQ, etc.

This seems to be a lot of radio for the money (used) and a very good radio at that.
The RX seems very quiet and sensitive.
Two antenna ports plus an RX port, I would like more, same as every other radio.

For only a bit more, it offers much more then the Icom 7300 I had, easier to use, better performance, many more things it can do and better fidelity.

Very pleased with the radio.

K4FX Rating: 5/5 May 8, 2018 14:48 Send this review to a friend
Great Radio  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I really love this radio. It has brought new excitement to this hobby for me. I use it remotely with my IPad and IPhone as well as in front of the PC. I do not miss knobs, I have a Flex Control and that is all I need. The rig has a superb receiver, the best I have ever owned. I upgraded from a Flex 3000 and at first I was a little disappointed with the SSDR as compared to PowerSDR, but as I have learned other add on programs like DDUtil, FRStack and others that greatly enhance SSDR, so now I am completely happy with the upgrade. I use the KPA500 and KAT500 with the 6300 and DDUtil's lets me interface it like it was designed for the Flex. Auto drive settings set the 6300 for precise drive levels for each band with the amp on and full power with it off or in standby just as with the K3. It makes contesting a lot easier. No screw-ups. I really enjoy all digital modes, especially RTTY. The best RTTY rig I have had prior to the 6300 was an Icom IC-756 Pro II. It was a very nice RTTY performer. However this 6300 blows it out of the water. The filtering is outstanding, I can use 250 hz with no problems on RTTY, on CW I normally use 250, and in tight spots I can go to 100 hz, or even 50 hz with no ringing. On SSB the filtering really shines. I can go as tight as 1.6 KHz and it is still very readable. I can actually enjoy phone contests now. The SSB stock filtering works fine for me, it goes from 4.0, 3.3, 2.7, 2.4, 2.1, 1.8, 1.6 KHz. I hear it does ESSB out of the box if you are into that sort of thing. It has a 10 band EQ for TX and/or RX, as well as a Downward Expander (Noise gate). I use a Heil PR-20 and it sounds great, I have a nice Normal mic profile and a DX mic profile.

I use QSK and it works fine with my KPA-500, it's a very competent CW rig.

I hope to upgrade to a 6600 by the end of the year. With the 6400 and 6600 now being shipped, there are plenty of 6300's on the market for excellent prices. You won't regret buying one.

K7QDX Rating: 5/5 Jan 17, 2018 19:43 Send this review to a friend
No problems, and I miss my 6300  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Great radio. I had it for about 7 months before I traded it into Flex for the 6400.
I was first looking at the Anan Apache Lab radios, and did a lot of research on the difference between the Apache Lab and Flex. Even one of the Anan users said, if you want support and good running software then go with Flex. He said you need to be really good with computers since the only support you get are other users on the forum for the Anan radios. So I signed up on the Anan forums. So a lot of people “bricking” their radios with the software updates. However this still didn’t sell me on Flex.
While I was doing this research I had an Icom 756 Pro III, but flex offered a trade in for it. So I went for the flex or the Anan Apache Lab Radio. I did think in the back of my head that maybe I should’ve but once I got the flex radio, I was sure that I made the right choice.
The Flex was easy to set up, even though I had a few issues but a few calls to Flex resolved that issue.
I’m currently back to a “box radio” (FT-1000MP) that my boss loaned me while I wait for my 6400 to arrive. I have to say it’s the hardest and longest wait ever. At least I’m on the air, but wow have I missed a lot of DX having this Yaesu radio. The receiver is so much better in the Flex. You can do so much more with the Flex.

K4YAB Rating: 5/5 Jun 6, 2017 04:28 Send this review to a friend
Top of the Line !  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I purchased my Flex 6300 and Maestro used. It is a Top of the line HF Transceiver . The Panadapter on the Maestro is Great ! GREAT RESOLUTION

KD2LMR Rating: 5/5 May 10, 2017 17:36 Send this review to a friend
Wonderful radio, easy to set up, use, and grow with.  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I have had my license for almost 1 year. Everything is new to me and I don't have the luxury of having a neighbor who I can ask questions of each day. I do have some friends at the local club that has helped with many things. However, I'm the only one in my area with a Flex (system) 6300. Fortunately, it's so easy to set up, I didn't need help. That's saying a lot for me because I'm not technologically inclined, nor the most patient. Learning curve is painless and quick.

I'm learning my way as I go and become interested in different things. Ham has so much to offer. I recently got started with PSK-31. I found it challenging to figure out on my other radio. Cables, downloads, etc. My Flex, I watched a Youtube video, followed the instructions and was up and running in no time.

I love having the ability of having two radios up and running at the same time, via the split screen, pan adapter function. Point and click where the action is, so much fun. I'm not much of a rag chewer, more listening at this point and it sure is easy to see all the QSO's out there.

Lot's more to learn and experience. It's nice to know I will not out grow my rig as it will probably grow (via SDR) faster than I can learn.

Haven't needed phone support but it's there. Excellent support via users on line at the Flex web cite and Facebook.

Go for it! I would be shocked if you didn't love it. If not I believe there is a 30 day return policy.

N5LB Rating: 5/5 Mar 22, 2017 14:09 Send this review to a friend
Two Months - Still A-Ok  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
After two months and hundreds of CW QSO's the 6300 remains the best equipment ever in this shack. Today was a CWops CWT, a one hour CW event featuring moderate to high speed CW and sometimes a lot of power. The difference between some of the loudest stations at 10 over and the weakest at ~S3 (ambient noise level) had zero effect even when the two stations were separated by a few hundred hz. I know, not scientific at all but the fun for me in the past two months is experiencing no overloads, intermod as far as I can tell, and the ability to hear more stations than I can work at 100W. CWT can be very crowded at times and the 6300 holds up better than the F5000, and it was very good.

Oh, and not a hint of software issues running multiple programs and monitors on an A10/W10

VA3MW Rating: 5/5 Mar 22, 2017 05:49 Send this review to a friend
Onward and upward  Time owned: more than 12 months
By far the best HF deck I have used in over 40 years. And, I started with a DX40 and an HR10B :)

Any computer you can buy today that is built in the last 3 years will run SmartSDR fine with little or no effort. Interfacing all the sound card modes requires no additional cables to buy. And, it is easy to do. How cool is that?

I run mine at my remote base in an unheated building. It has seen -25C and has started up without effort and 'just works'. While true plug and play remote is not yet out (but is coming), I have been running remote for almost a year without a flaw using a Raspberry PI.

I have run it in an RTTY contest and copied signals where no other traditional radio was able to do so. I was able to operate closer to other stations than ever. If you want to give that a try, I highly recommend it.

I will never go back to a tradition radio as the thing is old once you buy it. Also, my 6300 outperforms many radios and give me the biggest bang for my buck.

In fact, I never use SmartSDR anymore to operator. I use my Maestro or sometimes my iPad. :) I bought my 6300 the day it came out at Dayton.

The customer service is second to none (ok, maybe Elecraft is in the same position). Try to get Icom, Kenwood or Yaesu to listen to feedback on how your radio works. You get what Japan sends you and they don't listen to feedback (I speak from someone who used to be a dealer).

I hope that helps a few of you.

Mike va3mw

WB2JVB Rating: 5/5 Mar 4, 2017 17:10 Send this review to a friend
Easy to setup, easy to use  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Like many, I kept toying with getting a Flex for a few years. But I never like the old ones that used firewire, and put all the processing in the computer. The 6300 is amazing. I had it setup and running in under an hour. The screens are very easy to use after about 15 minutes.

Of course you can do lots more, with profiles, and other settings, but just getting it on the air is painless. I have no network problems. It is connected to a switch in the shack. No traffic delays.

Seeing the spectrum while operating is so cool. Sure you can do this with other panadaptors, but here it is all integrated. See a signal, double click it and talk.

I use DXLABS for rig control and logging, etc. Works like a charm. Took a minute to setup. Much easier than my old Kenwood TS-590. JT65 works perfectly too.

I have had zero problems. No hangs, no needed reboots, etc etc. A first class piece of hardware.

N5LB Rating: 5/5 Feb 7, 2017 10:22 Send this review to a friend
Excellent Radio and Company  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
First off I traded my F5000 with FlexRadio's program. They offered a price within a couple of hundred that I figured to net on the open market. Trading relieved me of worries about scams, shipping etc. So it worked for me.

I have had the 6300 for a couple of weeks and I find it to be much higher performance than my 5000. Mostly I chase CW DX and the 6300 meets all of my expectations. Software installation and setup went very smoothly and maybe took 30 minutes. No bumps or issues. The F5000 is an outstanding radio to be sure - no complaints except for the load on my computer.

The 6300 uses much less CPU time. So far no hiccups. None on a W10x64, AMD A10.

I have read some comments from hams complaining about the wideband noise blanker. Well, it works for me - followed the information in the software manual. The setting of AGC-T and the WNB both need to be used.

Some have noted the absence of preselector filters. I was concerned. No need. For me this has proven to be a non issue.

My experience with Flex throughout the transaction was uniformly excellent. From the initial discussions with sales to the receipt of my trade credit, each step was very professional and business like.

That's my two cents worth.

PA1EC Rating: 5/5 Dec 20, 2016 02:07 Send this review to a friend
Great!!!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I sold my Yaesu FTdx5000MP after 3 years and bought a Flex6300. I am very happy with this transceiver,no regrets that I sold the Yaesu. I also bought the Maestro and I am now QRV in the livingroom and garden and also use the IOS app for my Iphone and Ipad.
Great receiver and a lot of settings that makes using the TRX very good. I am using the latest beta software and have no poblems at all.