Reviews Categories | Transceivers: VHF/UHF+ Amateur Base/Mobile (non hand-held) | TYT TH9800 Help

Reviews Summary for TYT TH9800
TYT TH9800 Reviews: 32 Average rating: 3.4/5 MSRP: $273.00 Amazon
Description: Quad band transceiver. 10, 6, 2 Meters and 7o CM 50 watts on 6 and 2 meters, 40 watts an 10 meters and 70 CM.
More info: http://www.tyt888.com

You can write your own review of the TYT TH9800.

KB6MAS Rating: 4/5 Nov 25, 2016 22:55 Send this review to a friend
Good radio ? speaker jack  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I bought one second hand for a fantastic price. Everything works as stated in the manual except the internal speaker stopped working. I had to switch to to a external speaker which works well. If they used better speaker jacks I'd give this radio a perfect score. Someday I may open it up to replace the speaker Jack but it works fine with external speaker so most likely I'll run it as it is.

GRIDLESS Rating: 0/5 Jan 16, 2016 18:53 Send this review to a friend
Failed & no warranty  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
based on a lot of reviews, I gave this radio a try. Right off the bat, it had wildly fluctuating power (on L, M2, M1, & H) -- from one frequency to another, the power output would be vastly different (from 10w to 20w to 4w on high) - all with swr of less than 1.5.
I purchased direct from tyt; as I thought that would be the best way to get warranty support, in case I needed it.
Once the radio arrived, I couldn't use the programming cable, it had no drivers for win8; so that was useless.
I had some others check the power, and they too were stumped. I contacted tyt and they wanted videos of the readings -- so I provided it.
Then a few weeks later, I could no longer access the menu system; and then it started having problems changing frequency.
TYT just stopped responding to me & have refused to warranty the radio & it's completely bricked now.

I now understand the woes of buying from China.
It appears well built & sturdy; but it just didn't work from the get go & went downhill quick.

ON3TVC Rating: 5/5 Jan 16, 2016 11:09 Send this review to a friend
Price Quality the best  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Bought two pieces. One for the car and one for the RV camper. Easy programming possible with Chirp. RX TX is good, performance is great. Would buy it again.

N4DXX Rating: 5/5 Jan 11, 2016 21:58 Send this review to a friend
Can't Complain  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Ok Folks i don't have a Yaesu 9800 to compare it with but i can say it works fantastic for me..I have used all bands and currently crossband it to 10 meter FM and get awsome reports..Mine is the Plus model..I have hammered the transmit pa unit crossbanding for hours at a time on full power..Mine puts out 60 watts or more on every band..Does get hot but has yet to fail after hours of long winded qso's..The rx is as good on every band,,It hears very well everywhere i was very impressed in this area as well..Front end seems to handle the strongest signals well..Nothing more to say just give you my thoughts..If you buy one i hope it performs as well as mine has..I give it a very strong 5..Due to the price point and build quality ..I have had many other uhf/vhf radio's and this is as good or better than most..

IU0CXU Rating: 3/5 Dec 18, 2015 09:01 Send this review to a friend
Good but not super  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Good radio but not excellent. Purchased from a well-known retailer on ebay the first of the month of december, used for approximately 15 days then returned to the seller.
Poor sensitivity on the right section of the radio, deviation in reception and transmission.
Noise from the speaker when you press the PTT with tones subaudio in and volume adjusted upwards.
Excellent power (slightly higher than the declared values), good modulation.
Commands and software are very simple and intuitive.
Probably this radio was defective (I do not believe the electronics is the same of Yaesu), but next time I'll choose ICOM or KENWOOD.

K7AVV Rating: 5/5 Oct 4, 2015 07:17 Send this review to a friend
So far so good!  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Have had mine for 6 months and used and probably abused it, and its like a timex... Keeps on ticking. Good reports on the audio. It seems to have good rejection of intermod in heavy RF environments.

I did misplace the manual. Getting a replacement has been a royal pain. Does anyone have a copy that could or has been scanned? I still stand in need of that doc. Thanks in advance

WD0FIA Rating: 5/5 Jul 4, 2015 19:47 Send this review to a friend
Bargain for the money.  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I bought one, and after running it for two months, I bought three more. Quad band, similar to my FT-8900, it gets good comments on audio quality. I only paid $220 each from US Seller, with a 1 year warranty.

My best friend saw enough difference he paid $169 extra to get a Yaesu FT-8900 instead. My thoughts were that being able to have similar radios in all vehicles, for a 40% savings made the TH-9800 a good deal.

N6PET Rating: 5/5 Jul 2, 2015 13:54 Send this review to a friend
The Good Chinese  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I was first hesitant investing this much on a Chinese mobile radio for my car. This is a clone of the FT-8900, which is about $180 more expensive AND has a lot less capabilities. To my surprise, I am very happy with this purchase. Chinese radios has been criticized by many ham operators but little do they know that all "Japanese made" radios are actually made also in China, or parts of it at least. This is no exception. I see a well built and good quality ham radio. It does exactly what the FT-8900 does but with unlocked transmit in all 4 bands, outside the ham band. Plus, it already comes with the remote separation kit, that you have to purchase for $70 with the Yaesu. All these the FT-8900 can not do or does not have. This is a good addition to your shack if you are really objective in evaluating quality, performance, and capabilities. I own a Yaesu FT-8800 and a FT-450D but I have to admit that this is better that the FT-8900 in so many ways.

See details of my review here:

VK5CQ Rating: 4/5 Jun 19, 2015 03:35 Send this review to a friend
A "Good Chinese" (as N6PET writes...)  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
TYT's TH-9800 Quad Band radio is said, by some, to be a [near-]clone of Yaesu's FT-8900R, but it seems to go beyond Yaesu, in some areas.

Eg, when life is in danger (ie, in a genuine emergency) & no one replies from all the Ham Repeaters you know about in the area, you can- without a mod - try CB, BOTH 11m (AM only) &, in AU, UHF (near 477 MHz).

Why AU's regulator (ACMA.gov.au) forbids Hams' use of a radio, like this one - designed with such flexibility (out-of-the-box) - in this wide, brown land (especially, in remote part of the Outback), I'll never fathom; it reportedly needs to be programmed to transmit ONLY on Amateur frequencies, to make it legal for Ham use.

(Good luck if your 4WD vehicle fails somewhere far from the nearest Ham repeater, eg, in the Outback, & need to call for assistance, in such an emergency. If you haven't brought along a costly (eg, Codan) Outback radio or a SatPhone, you could wait a lot longer; may you last so long...)

More subtle indicators of Excellent Design quality by TYT include:

+ a separate (if mini-USB) port for programming its memories (ie, no need to pull out the mic. before plugging-in the cable, AND you might still have a mini-USB to USB cable around, from earlier generations of gear... No need to buy a programming cable)

+ a manual with very high quality English (OK, some improvements are possible, but all the bits we've read in it, so far, are clear & easily understandable)

+ sensible, easy-to-learn configuration (via control panel) PLUS (cost-free) programming software (for Windows)

Other conveniences:

+ power connector is like those used on radios by ICOM (& other makers)

+ multi-function mic has 2 slide switches for: Lock & Backlight

+ "Preppers" might find its built-in Scrambler useful [after Armageddon]; of course, it's feature (generally) unavailable to Hams

Something you can "stumble over" (read this BEFORE you bother your supplier to get the same info):

+ only the Left-side is Quad Band; the Right-side is Dual Band (2m & 70cm)

Some issues yet to be solved (after less than a week of having a loaner TH-9800 in the shack - on a dummy-load, mostly), either by me or TYT (in a future version?):

- out-of-the-box, each key-press causes a loud "Beep!" (there's Off setting (but no volume control for it); in menu & in Prog'g S/W)

- control head doesn't seem to be "invertable" (ie, heatsink's external fins are BELOW the radio, with potential to heat it, eg, during long "overs" ...as a yellow warning label - on the top of the radio - puts it: "High-temp. surface, do not touch after long-term use!" Given such a warning, I'd aim to keep its Tx Power on Low or Med.1, except in a case of Emergency; then making only short transmission, in Summer or when in the hot Outback.)

(On second thought, maybe this ISN'T the radio to depend on in the Aussie Outback, except after dark, when it's cooler...?)

If it continues to work as it is today (ie, well, AFAIK), I'll give it Full Marks. We'll review it again, if it changes for the worse, but I don't expect it to. Of course, YMMV. BTW, I've yet to learn how to tell it the one I borrowed (for pre-purchase eval.) is the "Plus" version...?

If you like to direct-import your Ham gear, I'm eliably told to pass this tip on, to you: Check places like AliExpress.com (use their app for larger discounts, when applicable) for low prices.

An excellent [ongoing] TH-9800 review (w/ tips) is here:

+ http://N6PET.com/tyt9800-good-chinese/

N9SSU Rating: 2/5 Apr 5, 2015 16:20 Send this review to a friend
This radio has potential. - Great points, Bad points.  Time owned: more than 12 months
Fair & Balanced review, which I also provided the same review, on the site I bought one of the units from:

PROS:

*4 bands, full power
*EASY to use
*Price lower than the Yaesu it is cloned from
*Free separation kit, mounting head, programming software (even if it is klunky to use)
*GREAT sensitivity, almost NO intermod in the big city full of RF. GREAT transmit audio. (based on 2/440).
*GREAT receive audio. Loud and clear, but on the bass side.
*Decent scanning speed.
*AM receive for 11 meters and AIR band.
*You like 6 meters FM and/or repeaters? You will love it. I did.

CONS:

**Hit or miss Quality Control (mostly miss).
**Multiple birdies in the 10 Meter band, giving intermittent S9/30 reading for a few seconds at a time. (At first you think someone is actually passing a signal on the radio)! I am not the only one, read about it on the internet where others experienced it.

****** Had 2 units go bad. 1st one in 6 months (2 meters would only transmit exciter power). 2nd one died in 5 MINUTES. (440 died this time, transmit & receive) - Check the internet, the 2 meters issue is possibly a resistor with insufficient solder causing it to "creep" or lift off the board. Honestly, looks like they use solder PASTE! Which means long term reliability is a questionable thing.

**Gets HOT! Make sure you put at least 1 (or more) external fans on it.
**The Microphone is substandard. Up/Down buttons failing after a few months on 1st unit.
**I say this about every radio these days, but it REALLY applies to this one as it has over 800 memories and each memory has several settings you can set. --- It is 2015 people, radios have changed and almost all need to be programmed via PC to get full value out of them! ESPECIALLY THIS ONE!
**TYT will NOT warranty these units. Check sellers return policy.
**TYT will NOT release schematics. - They say it is secret and proprietary. Really? We are HAMs. A lot of us can't work on SM boards, but we CAN read schematics and troubleshoot.

It is a shame because their TH-9000 line of radio are SOLID and fill a void for the 220 band. This one has just been rebranded as MKII - but NOTHING has been specified as being changed! (UPDATE: The MKII or PLUS version has: crossband feature added a "TOT, Time Out Timer", the "busy" feature not allowing you to key up when a repeater is transmitting has been removed, reportedly the 2 meter drivers are different values and have improved solder on them).

Also please note, take the "voltage range" serious. If you "spike" this with voltage that goes up and down or constantly run it over the recommend voltage, you will fry it.

The display unit, the display itself is the SAME from a Yaesu! Even the beep tones are the same. The chassis looks exact too. One has to wonder if they are not sharing parts suppliers!

This radio does have potential. It is an analog radio with no digital or other frills, that the main 3 are shoving down people's throats these days. At the price point, no warranty and limited return time is a gamble.

Don't dismiss the Chinese radios. Yes they are clones. Yes they are inferior. Yes it is questionable if they are all coming from the same factory. But questionable were the Japanese when they entered the market. Now, see where they are at.

Wish I could offer a YES as an entry level, first radio, 2nd radio for the house or car. But I can't. You will enjoy the radio, but you are gambling. (UPDATE: IF you buy one, make sure it is from a US SELLER and make sure they have a "return" period. (There is no factory warranty on this. If you think I am wrong and before you flame, look at the box and search the manual for it.)