Reviews Categories | Amplifiers: RF Power - HF & HF+6M | Acom 600S Help

Reviews Summary for Acom 600S
Acom 600S Reviews: 24 Average rating: 4.5/5 MSRP: $2995
Description: Acom's first solid state amplifier 600 watts pep all mode. 1,8 to 54 Mhz. 12Kg
More info: http://www.acom-bg.com

You can write your own review of the Acom 600S.

UNCLEIKE Rating: 3/5 Mar 24, 2019 12:29 Send this review to a friend
Three years, three finals.  Time owned: more than 12 months
After three blown finals, Acom traded me for the Acom 1000. They did upgrades and mods to my old 600s as they are doing on all the new ones being produced. I however had had enough and requested the trade. Acom is a good company and I will buy again from them. The 600s produces full out put power with very little drive. You must be exceptionally careful not to overdrive it. Also pay close attention to the ALC settings on your rig. I will post a review of the A 1000 after using it for a while but first impressions are great.

ON4VP Rating: 5/5 Feb 13, 2019 09:28 Send this review to a friend
2nd purchase in 5 years  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I've owned this Acom 600S before, got one when it just came out back in 2014 (first review page 1). As I understand (also looking at the firmware versions) the Acom 600S now is 2nd revision. New production started late 2018 (firmware version now 7.xx) and it seems some things are redesigned or engineered.

For a while now the amp comes in a black finish. Still looking great but I kinda liked the first color what was the same appearance as the Acom 2000a. Nevertheless it's all about the performance. Still great as ever. I like the new display and still love the way I can monitor all data from the lcd screen.

For those who are interested in controlling the amplifier from your computer take a look at "Acom Director Plus". Connection made with standard RS232 9-pin cable between amp and computer gives you a nice screen (kinda duplicates the lcd screen) and you can monitor all on the computer screen. The little program lets you also use the buttons remotely like opr/stb or band switching, tuning and switching the amp off remotely. It makes operating the amplifier form another location possible. As my IC-7610 has internal web server I can use my radio and amplifier from a laptop anywhere I have internet access.

It took me a few moments to set RF Power + drive level on the Icom 7610. Drive level is kinda critical but once adjusted I can change RF Power and on most bands RF Power % setting is between 10 and 20 according bands. Drive is set to 42%.

After 5 years owning the first revision and now the 2nd revision I still am convinced this amp is worth its price. 5 star rating !

UNCLEIKE Rating: 3/5 Oct 21, 2018 19:50 Send this review to a friend
Review update.  Time owned: more than 12 months
After two years and two sets of finals, I stand by my initial review. When it works, it works well enough. Obviously the protections circuits don't work well enough to protect the output transistors.

EA5BZ Rating: 0/5 May 8, 2018 18:59 Send this review to a friend
NEVER AGAIN  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I owned the amplifier 1 year and it was 6 months repairing at Acom factory.
My amplifier broke finals 2 times and Acom couldn't give a solution.
Finally they changed (under warranty) for an Acom 1000.
I won't buy again a transistor Acom Amplifier.

G4OER Rating: 5/5 May 3, 2018 18:07 Send this review to a friend
Superb  Time owned: more than 12 months
Acom have years of experience in producing high quality amplifiers and the 600S is probably the best currently in production. Mine needed updating to use with the auto Atu. Val at Acom brought it up to date and free of charge. The shipping was efficiently handled by Steve at Martin Lynch and sons and I was kept up to date on its progress. First class service. Highly recommended.

K0CWO Rating: 5/5 Dec 27, 2017 12:33 Send this review to a friend
Absolutely wonderful amplifier   Time owned: more than 12 months
I canít ad to what others have already said. This thing does everything as advertised. Light weight, small, quiet and superb build quality. I was going to buy the 1200S but when I found out that the SPE Expert 1.3K-FA without an antenna tuner is price competitive I chose that one instead.

N4DCD Rating: 5/5 Dec 25, 2017 09:23 Send this review to a friend
Great amp!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Most of the reviews here are 5 with the exception of one which to me sound like RF. Not the fault of the amp and 100 hours in 6 days? Anyway, great amp, does what it should with out a hiccup. 600w with 20 watts of drive, can't ask for more and whisper quiet, fast band changes and let's face it, it a ACOM!! IN my opinion, Acom makes the best amp's on the market. I also have a Acom 1500..

KD4POK Rating: 2/5 Oct 27, 2017 22:39 Send this review to a friend
Problems in week 1  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Amp was delivered a week ago today. Set it up and used it for 6 days total power on time is about 100 hours. Using an Icom 7300 to drive it with and have the control cable between the two. Amp tracks the 7300 band (set to TTL command set 3) nicely. Have continuous issues with the amp tripping its like its too sensitive to the mic drive. Spent hours adjusting it. Finally got it happy with about 10w output from the 7300 but occasionally it still tripped and output was only about 400 something from the display reading. Just didn't feel I was getting to use the 600w I should have gained with this purchase, but everyone said it sounded good and I kinda got over the power output level. In one QSO tonight I keyed up and the amp beeped an error and turned off. When i turned it back on and started using it two things I noticed. First, the output was about half what it was before it shut down. Second, it was not as sensitive from the mic input which I actually liked, because if it had worked like this from the beginning it would not be so picky about the 7300 input levels and I would have been able to use the rated output of the amp. I investigated further and looked into all the diagnostic menus and found that idle current readings were bad for the right side, the left was good (2.7v vs 0.69v). I assume one of the super reliable final stage freescale MOSFETs lived a short life. I'll have to follow up with distributor DXEngineering Monday where I purchased it to see what happens next. Bummed out. Looking forward to fixing this and hopefully there was a problem from the beginning which is why it always seemed temperamental.

Went to website to look at firmware. Kinda weird. Youtube videos show different looking screens and firmware on one of them 2.5. My firmware says 2.0. Manf. website says last firmware available is 1.5 from years ago. Maybe they stopped letting people update firmware but something doesn't seem right with the different versions I have seen on the screens. This one is still a mystery for now I'll have to inquire about it.

It has lots of potential, I hope this issue is resolved and things just work the way they should. It seems like a nice amp, even though its not too happy right now. 73

YB3OX Rating: 5/5 Oct 10, 2017 23:41 Send this review to a friend
Extraordinary  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I use this amp with Sunsdr pro2. As previous reviews said this is a good amp.Silent, easy band change, good protection etc.
Along with sunsdr e-coder, this package cost me about 5k usd. Now I have 500+ watts excellent sdr radio at reasonable price.
Thank you Val for another good product.

G3RCE Rating: 5/5 Mar 12, 2017 04:57 Send this review to a friend
Superb  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
This amp is a delight to use
I use it with my Sunsdr2pro, ICOM7300 and Yaesu FT891 no problems.
Protection is first class