Reviews Categories | Transceivers: VHF/UHF+ Amateur Base/Mobile (non hand-held) | Leixen VV-898 Help

Reviews Summary for Leixen VV-898
Leixen VV-898 Reviews: 36 Average rating: 3.4/5 MSRP: $150
Description: Tiny dual band vhf/uhf mobile transceiver

You can write your own review of the Leixen VV-898.

W5APL Rating: 5/5 Dec 7, 2018 03:19 Send this review to a friend
Nice Radios  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I have both the VV-898 10 WATT and the VV-898SP 25 WATT-No problems, both work great-Very easy to set up-Nice audio on both rigs-Paid $49 for the VV-898 and $117 for the VV-898SP with the backpack. The VV-898SP is nice with the battery pack inside the case.

SP9HZX Rating: 5/5 Jul 20, 2018 13:35 Send this review to a friend
small and reliable  Time owned: more than 12 months
Very good and compact.Ideal for mobile operation though I use it at home.too.
No problems with it.

KJ4DGE Rating: 4/5 Apr 26, 2018 13:23 Send this review to a friend
Good deal, Good price  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have to admit I wanted a little more power for local nets on 2 meters than a HT together with a outside antenna, so spent an extra 30 bucks for this radio after reading the Miklor site review. There are so many China brands out there now its hard to gauge what is worth the bucks but was pleased with my purchase from BuyTwoWayradios.com The rig has plenty of memory with 200 channels and is easy to program from the hand mic even without a PC.

This rig comes in a variety of flavors. A VV898 (10 watts), VV898S (25 watts) and even has an ad-on man-pack accessory with battery that lets you take either into the field.

The receive of the radio surprised me as its very good and loud and have gotten good audio transmit reports just running 10 watts. all in all a better way to go for a base rig that takes less space on your desk than a paperback book.

I give it a 4 only due to the fact the scan mode is painfully slow, but I did not buy it for a scanner :)

KJ4DGE Rating: 5/5 Apr 25, 2018 01:43 Send this review to a friend
Works well  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have the V-898S 25 watt version and am very pleased for the price and size. Where can you get a dual band mobile that can be man-packed into a portable 25 watt radio as an afterthought. It has very good receive and signal reports are great. The 10 watt version is really all you need in a car. As a base the radio takes up less space on a shack desk than a wattmeter and likely for less the price.

KJ4DGE Rating: 4/5 Apr 12, 2018 01:56 Send this review to a friend
Good for a base unit  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I bought this micro mobile to replace a much older filing rig with few memories and no UHF. I was surprised at how easy it is to program just from the hand mike. It worked great on both VHF and cleanly on UHF. The 25 watt model gets me to repeaters I never thought I could hit from Leesburg VA. Forget the manual though. The menu button and up/down arrows on the hand mike are all you need to program this radio. Xmit reports have been very good and the audio is VERY loud at low settings. 200 channels is plenty and it covers 220 receive as well, whats not to like?

N1IDN Rating: 2/5 Feb 10, 2018 09:55 Send this review to a friend
You get what you pay for  Time owned: more than 12 months
I may be a bit late for the party, but I bought 4 of these last year and only 1 is still working properly.

IMO, if you want a daily driver radio or a radio for the shop, something that is going to experience heat and cold and prolonged listening etc, this is not the radio for that. If you want one for a bug out radio (the one that still works), where you might fire it up from time to time and run it on a battery, they seem to work for that.

I am not downing the radio, just confirming that you need to set your expectations properly and realise that you get what you pay for.

K9PLG Rating: 3/5 Mar 9, 2017 14:49 Send this review to a friend
OK If you get a good 1  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Got one @ Dayton 2016 to use as mobile (25w version). Seems to work OK after almost a year... Dual watch isn't really usable and the speaker / audio is not very good & hard to hear .. Needs a decent ext. speaker or headset to be heard well IMHO. I connect it to the line-in on my cars audio system sometimes and it sounds so much better than the little 1.5 inch speaker on the top.. Looks like their QA lets a few bad ones slip thru to market as so many have reported DOA units.. Guess I was lucky to get a good one that works FB so far. Chirp worked OK w/ the included programming cable.. Manual / factory software are 'marginal' at best, normal for Chinese products it seems...

KB6HOH Rating: 3/5 Nov 30, 2016 00:32 Send this review to a friend
For Packet Radio  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have the Luiton LT-898 which is the same Radio.
I would like to use this for Packet Radio.
I do have the Mic pinout for wiring a TNC BUT does anyone know if Pin 7 is actually Receive Audio? Not a bad Radio for the price.

G6IYD Rating: 4/5 Nov 12, 2016 11:21 Send this review to a friend
Excellent value  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
There may be some very negative comments over the Leixen VV-898, but what do you expect for such a budget priced mobile TX. I was pleasantly surprised when I obtained one from a UK ham retailer. For the price, it performs well with good transmitted audio reports, and a reasonable receiver. Repeater programming was reasonably easy and I found it simple to correct any errors I made! Yes, I do have a Yaesu mobile which cost me over 5 times the price of the Leixen, but for a tiny 10 watt Chinese mobile, I have found it extremely good value for anyone starting out, or as a back-up to your Yaesu, Kenwood, Icom etc. I would say, purchase it from a reputable amateur radio retailer, just in case you have any problems.

K3HRN Rating: 1/5 Oct 13, 2016 02:51 Send this review to a friend
Waste of Time  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Lots of nice features....BUT
First radio had bad power lead and low power transmit

Replacement radio had a defective power fuse holder and the programming cable was so shoddy, the shell broke.

To give the ebay seller credit, they tried to solve the problem and offered a refund.

Looking for an alternative to this not so great radio.