Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF: Verticals; Wire; Loop | Cobra Ultralite Senior by K1JEK Help

Reviews Summary for Cobra Ultralite Senior by K1JEK
Cobra Ultralite Senior by K1JEK Reviews: 16 Average rating: 4.4/5 MSRP: $$125
Description: 140 Ft (70 ft a side) Wire antenna fed with Twin-Lead
More info: http://k1jek.com/

You can write your own review of the Cobra Ultralite Senior by K1JEK.

KF6E Rating: 5/5 Jun 7, 2019 15:57 Send this review to a friend
Works well on small lot  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I was having trouble finding a reasonably efficient antenna for 160 - 30 that would present a low-enough SWR (< 8:1) so my Palstar HF-AUTO would handle it. I have some tall trees at the back of my lot, but have limited space overall. I tried longwires, G5RV, verticals, etc., but wasn't happy with the result.

The Cobra loads up easily on the bands of interest to me. (I have a TH-11 on the tower, so 20 - 10 are covered.) It isn't a four-element Yagi, but it works fine in the inverted-V configuration. Unfortunately, I'll have to wait until next winter to see how well it does on 160.

KG7AV Rating: 5/5 May 22, 2019 22:22 Send this review to a friend
Does the Job  Time owned: more than 12 months
Downsized two years ago to a midtown lot, had to give up the acreage and my beloved 80m skywire loop. Given the geometry of the new property, agonized over what to install. Went with the Cobra Sr. Loads up well on all bands and has survived a couple of tough winters with no problem.

K1SEC Rating: 5/5 Apr 12, 2019 01:17 Send this review to a friend
Excellent all band antenna  Time owned: months
Have been using the cobra ultralite junior and senior for many years. Initially I purchased a junior several years ago for a backup dipole. After comparing the junior with my resonant 40 and 80 meter dipoles I was shocked to find the Cobra junior was consistently out performing my resonant wires. I did not expect those results! To make a long story short, I took down my other dipoles, purchased the cobra senior and have two ultralites hanging off my 70 ft tower. Have been operating with these two antennas for many years and am more than satisfied with their consistent performance and can work all bands. My QRZ home page has a picture of the wires hanging off my tower. Feel free to contact me if you should have any questions or need further information about my experiences with these antennas.
Paul

EI8KF Rating: 5/5 Oct 19, 2018 16:30 Send this review to a friend
Great antenna!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought an UltraLite Senior during a trip to the US last year and put it up shortly after returning home. I bought this antenna mainly to get me on top band and my DXCC totals quickly started to rise from 1 or 2 confirmed to currently (19-Oct-2018) 46 worked with 38 confirmed.
I've now mounted the centre a little higher and I'm looking forward to working a few new ones on top band with this antenna this winter.
For anyone with limited space or difficulty in putting up a full size dipole for 160m this antenna is a great solution. For the first time since I became licensed I'm able to work top band with relative ease.
Buy one, you won't regret it..!

K2DVA Rating: 4/5 Aug 10, 2018 02:44 Send this review to a friend
Got on 160M   Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Purchased from Granite State Antenna, great company. I got this to get on 160M in my city lot and thats exactly what it did. Within 20 minutes of stringing this up in trees in my yard i was working 160m, 80m also impressive. I have this about 50ft up in center etending over three trees in parallel with my fence so its pretty stealth for such a long antenna. Bought with 4:1 balun. Ordering was very fast as well, had it in a few days.

KM1G Rating: 5/5 Jun 25, 2018 02:14 Send this review to a friend
Strong, simple, effective  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've used K1JEK Cobras for 20 years, after building my own approximation many times. Mine never worked 160-six, like Joe's does. I've read critical reviews and thought, "What did the critic do wrong?" My Cobras have been up five, six and seven years in nasty New England wind, ice and snow, and I can only recall one halyard failure—and never a component failure. Never.

Performance is good. Will it whip six element yagis? No. Will one yagi work DC to light frequencies? No. My Cobra is like my Apple computers: set it and forget it. Case closed.

N4LCD Rating: 5/5 Feb 23, 2018 08:53 Send this review to a friend
A Premium Dipole  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've had mine up for several years now. It survives better than any other dipole I've had before. I shortened the feed line to fit. I use a 1:1 current balun from Balun Designs instead of the 4:1 balun that K1JEK recommends, because DX Engineering recommends a 1:1 balun. That has turned out to be good advice because my Elecraft KX3 can tune all bands, 160 through 6 using the Balun-Designs 1:1 balun. I use a pulley system so I can adjust the location of each end of the antenna and so I can lower it slightly if there's going to be a storm. I also want to note that some hams have a dipole shootout up in Jasper, Georgia and the Cobra Ultralight Senior wins every year.

K3DGR Rating: 1/5 Aug 30, 2017 18:43 Send this review to a friend
Just a replacement test-failed!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Installed this antenna in place of my super performing 80m Doublet Vee..Big mistake!..160m swr lowest only got down to 3.5-5.0!!..This is a very high gain doublet which adds 2 or 3 s units to the signals on 80 and 40m, however was totally useless to me and which resulted in destroying my LDG100Pro2 ATU, ..Got replacement and put my trusty 80m doublet vee back up and 1.0-1.1 swr on 80 thru 30m!!- as it should be. Sorry, maybe this will work in your installation, but I don't recommend this antenna for a top band replacement!!. 73's Dave,aa3ej

N4QEX Rating: 5/5 Nov 24, 2016 15:59 Send this review to a friend
Excellent antenna!  Time owned: more than 12 months
Purchased one new and installed 8 years ago, has been through all kinds of weather including one category I hurricane. Has lasted longer than any dipole I've had in the past 30 years. Can't tell it's better than others re performance, but is easily as good and far more durable!

K8CPA Rating: 5/5 Sep 12, 2016 10:49 Send this review to a friend
Two Years later still working great!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I put it up in 2014 and it still works great. Better than the guy that owns it! Ha! (meaning me, not Joe...LOL!)

No problems, rope still holding up and the antennas hasn't come down yet!

Get one, you won't regret it.