Reviews Categories | Transceivers: VHF/UHF+ Amateur Hand-held | Baofeng/Pofung BF-F8HP Help

Reviews Summary for Baofeng/Pofung BF-F8HP
* FM Radio and Built-in Flashlight
* ANI Code
* Emergency Tone Burst
More info: http://www.baofengradio.com/en/shownews.asp?id=28

You can write your own review of the Baofeng/Pofung BF-F8HP.

ADAM2 Rating: 5/5 Nov 18, 2018 02:33 Send this review to a friend
Can't beat it for the price  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Some people can't afford $200 - $400 handhelds. This could be the difference between having a dual band radio and not.

The BF-F8HP is a powerful HT for the price. You can get one for about $35 on eBay or $65 from Amazon. Haven't had any problems so far. I think RT Systems BAO-F8 Software and USB-K4Y Cable are far superior to Chirp + the FDDI Baofeng cable, but about $29 more. Programming the HT through the menu is strange, but doable.

This is not my EDC, because it may lack the ruggedness of the big three, but Baofeng has hit a home run with this unit (as long as it's $35 - $65). The company is building a good reputation in this area, so would not be surprised to start seeing them start competing on the high end as well.

WA2ZQX Rating: 1/5 Mar 13, 2018 05:18 Send this review to a friend
JUNK  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Died 10-days after I received it. Returned it to Amazon and got full refund. Instruction manual looked nice but wasn't concise...found better programming instructions online. Don't waste your time and money. I bought another Kenwood TH-K20A...for a few dollars more got a reliable and proven, well-made product.

KG5YEZ Rating: 4/5 Feb 15, 2018 06:42 Send this review to a friend
CLONE: HT-UV8R  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
My radio(s) are a re-brand marketed by HESENATE on amazon. The radios come in a nice box, the plastic pack. The power (center of bands) is 6.3 VHF and 5.2 UHF. Swapping the antenna for the NA-771 resulted in significant improvement in both transmit distance and receive sensitivity. I paid $35 for this radio on Amazon. as a note, the first radio charger died in minutes of use. I already ordered 2 more (after getting my license) however corresponding with HESENATE on amazon, they agreed to send a new charger. Am awaiting same.

K1RSU Rating: 5/5 Jan 3, 2018 11:50 Send this review to a friend
Great Radio  Time owned: more than 12 months
Great sturdy rugged, good to hold.... works all the time, inexpensive... easy to program....need to come up the learning curve... me or my wife can set up a repeater contact is less tha 60 seconds....stop the belly aching..... also like all transmitters, use the lowest power setting that gets the job done... the best antennas are the ones that come with the unit, made by Baofeng....... do not transmit with out an antenna..... DUH!

as for rubber duck antenna..... none work better than those that come with the unit.....

shut the radio off when switching over to a magmount... duh!

I have not seen any place where 8 watts was needed.... we do everything with one watt sometimes 4 watts...

BaoFeng sell millions of these radios and various derivitives all over the world, they are not "cheap" they are inexpensive due to the economy of scale.. a basic capitalism principle..

bao sounds like bah, ba ba black sheep.. together ba owe

feng sounds like fung not fang

show some respect to the correct pronunciation.. less you sound like a bigotted zenophobic ugly American..

great reliable radio....... no problems.....

KJ4RFX Rating: 3/5 Dec 28, 2017 14:25 Send this review to a friend
VHF Xmit Died After 18 months  Time owned: more than 12 months
I really like this radio and used it for many public service events that my club provides communications support for. Easy to program using CHIRP and no problem hitting repeaters in my area. Unfortunately, while operating one evening, the VHF transmit quit working. UHF was still fine, as was receiving on both VHF and UHF, but no VHF transmit. I tried to explore repair options but was told by Baofengtech (where I bought it) that repairs would probably exceed the cost of a new radio -- which was about $62. I replaced it with a GT-5TP, which has a two-year warranty. The Bf-8HP only has a one year warranty. If the radio was still fully working I would have likely given it a 4 or 5 rating.

KJ4RFX Rating: 3/5 Dec 16, 2017 21:01 Send this review to a friend
Good - While It Lasted  Time owned: more than 12 months
This was my first HT dual band radio and it was great while it lasted... which was about 18 months of light use. I was working a 2 meter repeater when suddenly the radio quit transmitting on VHF. I found it still received fine and worked on UHF in both transmit and receive... but nothing out on VHF. Prior to that, the unit worked well, with both good transmit and receive quality.

I contacted BaoFeng tech support -- and to their credit they got back to me very quickly on a Saturday evening. But because the warranty is only a year, I was unable to get an RMA for repair. I asked what the repair options were and was told the labor would likely be close to the cost of a new radio.

I realize it was only $62 new, but I was hoping to get more than 18 months out of it, especially since it's mostly used only for public service events that my radio club provides communications support for... three to four times a year. Otherwise I'm usually running my Yaesu mobile rig on VHF/UHF.

My only other complaint is programming it... which seems to be a common issue with other owners as well. I used CHIRP to get around the tedious programming that the keypad takes.

XE1ZLG Rating: 5/5 Nov 15, 2017 06:24 Send this review to a friend
Super great value radio  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Much better cross modulation resistance with its own antenna and T/R switch much faster than other UV5 based radios.. Good quality speaker sound ( better than Baofeng GT3 Wp )... FM TX modulation very good ( an old Ham buddy told me If I was using a Kenwood handheld ). WFM receiver works better than Baofeng GT3 WP.

Compact and sturdy.

Baofeng/Pofung is getting better and better.

Thanks Baofeng.

I own a Yaesu Ft 70Dr and a Kenwood Th-D74a..... and this is my every day radio. XE1ZLG

N5ID Rating: 5/5 Aug 2, 2017 13:56 Send this review to a friend
Great Little HT  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Can't beat it for the price, works great!

NY7Q Rating: 5/5 Jun 21, 2017 10:02 Send this review to a friend
EXCELLENT HT  Time owned: more than 12 months
I HAVE OWNED A FEW DOZEN BAOFENG/POFUNG RADIOS. THE BF-F8H IS FAR SUPERIOR TO MOST. I LOVE IT
PROGRAMMING CAN BE A BEAR, BUT IF YOU READ, YOU CAN FIGURE IT OUT. TOOK ME ABOUT 15 MINS

W6ARY Rating: 5/5 Jul 18, 2016 20:29 Send this review to a friend
Modest radio, but great value!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months

I purchased a Baofeng BF-F8HP as my first handheld ham transceiver via Amazon.com.

The radio is nontrivial to program manually, but I managed it for a local repeater (N6NFI) after a few failed attempts. I found the radio easy to program with CHIRP, but that requires the additional purchase of a programming cable, which lessens the value of the radio.

The radio has a mediocre microphone. Most people don't complain, but a couple have told me that my deviation (audio volume) is lower than others, even when I speak directly into the microphone hole and my lips are grazing the radio. That said, I listened to myself through EchoLink and felt that I sounded fine.

On *rare* occasions, I've heard a local weather service transmission bleed through on the N6NFI repeater's output frequency. Only Baofeng users have experienced this, which suggests it may be some kind of intermodulation effect that the BaoFengs fail to filter out.

Despite these caveats, I give this radio a 5/5 rating for the simple fact that it and its close relatives (other Baofeng UV-5R based radios) are incredibly good value.

For a bit less than $63, I picked up a radio that transmits at 1/4/8 watts (in practice, 7W max) with a decent rubber ducky antenna.

I am able to hit the local N6NFI repeater from all over the San Francisco Bay Area, from inside my car, with the radio sitting in a cup holder attached to its stock antenna. I haven't yet felt limited by the radio, which suggests to me that it's great value when compared with a $300-$400 HT radio.