Reviews Categories | Amplifiers: RF Power - HF & HF+6M | OM Power OM2000+ Help

Reviews Summary for OM Power OM2000+
OM Power OM2000+ Reviews: 18 Average rating: 4.9/5 MSRP: $EUR 3500
Description: 2 kW HF+6m amp with a FU-728F tetrode

You can write your own review of the OM Power OM2000+.

N9BVA Rating: 5/5 Mar 12, 2018 13:31 Send this review to a friend
Terrific Amplifier  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I purchased this amp after comparing other makes and models and when Array Solutions offered a year end sale, I placed my order. Both Jim and Jay at Array Solutions were both extremely helpful and kept me informed of the shipping information. The amp arrived timely and was very well packaged and banded to a small pallet.

The build quality and craftsmanship is superb. It is not only built well but built to last.

Operation has been a dream. Just make sure to read the manual. Tune up is fast and easy. So far I have operated on 80 and 40 meters with an input of 20 watts the amp is putting out 1100 watts. The unit is smooth, quiet and powerful. Factory support is second to none. I had one question and Tibi,OM3RM,at the factory, answered quickly the same day. You can't expect better service than that!

If you are in the market for a quality manually tuned amplifier that delivers effortless legal limit power and then some and at a competitive price point, look no further than the OM-2000+.

KK4WL Rating: 5/5 Mar 7, 2018 15:03 Send this review to a friend
Great Amp  Time owned: months
The craftsmanship is amazing.3 days from Slovakia to Florida. Came on a small pallet to my door on a DHL truck banded to the pallet. I took the lid off before I plugged it in . Its the best craftsman ship I have seen yet. All high end parts. Big heavy duty band switch. The anode voltage only drops from 3.3 kv to 3 .1 kv from STBY to full output. Easy tune. Very quiet ! At SSB 1500 watts the squirrel cage fan never has to come on. This amp seems to be very over built. This amp replaced My Acom 1000.
Not cheap but its nice to have such a well made amp. It is a lot of money to me but well worth it.
Array solutions Is great to deal with and they do the warranty. I loved my Acom but this is the one. The final will handle up to 3 kilowatts so at 2000 Its is loafing.

F6EML Rating: 4/5 Mar 6, 2018 07:31 Send this review to a friend
very nice amplifier  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
In my previous review , my remark n°1 wasn't very clear .
In the English Manual in Scope of Delivery , it's written " in STBY the amplifier in by-pass mode and your transceiver is directly connected to the antenna . Maximum allowed power in bypass mode is 100 W ! Passing RF power is measured with analog wattmeter only . Itsn't displayed ( I think at the digital screen ) if PA is either in standby mode or turned off ".
I say the manufacturer my analog wattmeter doesn't work in standby mode , and following my astonishment , he answers me : " the analog wattmeter works correctly only on high power range " .
I test again , with 100 W from tx , 10W only on analog wattmeter , that's true , the analog wattmeter can't measures RF power in STBY mode , between 0 to 200 W , in fact .
Not very important , but still .

AK9S Rating: 5/5 Dec 14, 2017 08:46 Send this review to a friend
Follow-Up Review  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
After several weeks of use, some thoughts...

It is simply incredible how much power this amplifier generates given its small size and light weight. The level of feedback which can be displayed concerning operating parameters is fantastic.

It will do legal limit output and stay cool for hours, at least 40 to 50 degrees C below the threshold of automatic cut-off protection. This eliminates my previous habit of paying very close attention to my amplifier - the OM2000+ is not the weakest link at my station (item with the highest probability of failing).

On 6M running MSK144 meteor scatter mode at 1.5KW every 15 seconds for long periods of time, the amp ran cool and reached a maximum temperature of 53 C. On HF SSB at 1.5KW, I see a maximum temperature in the low to mid-40 C after lengthy QSOs. The cut-off temperature is 90 C, so there is plenty of air movement designed into this amplifier to ensure proper cooling.

Using the OM2000+ is simple except for someone who possesses no experience tuning tetrodes, such as myself. I am used to tuning amplifiers which run 3-500Z tubes. It took me a while to figure it out, as I could only muster about 1200 or 1300W output before running up against the cut-off protection for screen current. The following information may prove useful to others.

Typically, one adjusts an amplifier for maximum output by first turning the TUNE knob followed by turning the LOAD knob. And then repeating.

When tuning the OM2000+, use the same procedure. However, you will need to complete a couple of additional steps.

There are two indicators, one for TUNE and the other for Is (screen current).

This procedure assumes the TUNE indicator shows:

>_|_<

which implies you maximized power output while rotating the TUNE knob.

Once completed, progress to turning the LOAD knob.

As you increase input power, the screen current indicator will move to the right. The allowable screen current resides within the arrows of the indicator and the current level itself is depicted by the "|" symbol.

For example, as input power is increase, the screen current indicator will show the following change:

>_|___<
>____|<

In other words, the screen current increased slightly and indicator showed it as moving to the right. If you continue to increase the input power, the screen current will continue to move to the right eventually falling outside of allowable limits. At this threshold, you may only see 1200 to 1300W output.

The first additional step is to turn the LOAD knob slightly clockwise.

This will move the screen current back to the left. Then increase the input power and you will quickly reach 1500W. Continue repeating this procedure with turning the LOAD knob slightly clockwise and then increasing input power and you will easily reach 2300W.

The second additional step is to try to avoid having the screen current all the way to the right of the indicator. Any fluctuation in screen current may trigger a cut-off warning, which may occur during a voice peak in SSB.

Your screen current should be in the middle of the indicator or just to the right of center, but not up against the right of the indicator as shown:

>__|__<

I originally thought something was wrong with the amplifier, as it was not making the specified power, until I tried this tuning procedure.

Enjoy!

W7WRJ Rating: 5/5 Jul 11, 2017 20:49 Send this review to a friend
Great Amp - Next one will be an OM Power 4000  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Ordered the amp on a Wednesday from Array Solutions, and the amp arrived 6 days latter on Tuesday, directly from OM Power. Both Jay and Jim at Array Solutions were great to work with and helpful. The amp is a dream to operate. Easy to tune. Legal limit out with 22 watts drive. The only thing I would change if I did it again, would be going with the OM Power 2500+, since I don't work any 6 meters at all. I've been running the amp for 2 weeks now and no issues. Last weekends IARU HF World Championship Contest, I worked 118 countries on 40 meters, and never had to call any station more than once. I see an OM Power 4000 in the future.

Mike / W7WRJ

IK5HHA Rating: 5/5 Mar 8, 2017 00:47 Send this review to a friend
Great HF+6mt PA  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I received this PA from a few days.
The PA is incredibly powerful, quiet and compact.
Recommended!
'73 Luca IK5HHA

KC6OBT Rating: 5/5 Mar 1, 2017 15:38 Send this review to a friend
Money Well Spent  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Any piece of equipment is only as good as the product support it has from the supplier as well as the factory.
From Jay and Jim at Array Solutions to Tibi at OM Power this purchase was totally painless. DHL had a small snag and the crew at Array was all over it. It left Slovakia on a Tuesday and arrived that Friday. Emails to both OM Power and Array Solutions were answered promptly some of which were on a Sunday.
So many times we purchase items that do not meet our expectations, the 2000+ is not one of these items.
This amp rocks
Tuning is quick and easy, and it is just loafing at full legal limit.
If you want a excellent amplifier at a resonable price look no further. These big black boxes are pure magic.

K6AER Rating: 5/5 Aug 2, 2016 18:59 Send this review to a friend
Game Changer  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Well I received the OM-2000+ and I am duly impressed. It was shipped from Slovakia and came attached in a padded double box strapped to a shipping pallet. Took four days from receipt of order. Jay at Array Solution’s was very helpful with the order. Array Solutions paid the shipping and customs. Total cost was $3500 and change. I was able to track the DHL progress the whole way.

Hook up is easy and the manual explains the operation very well. Basically you peak the tuning and adjust the load to center the tuning meter to keep the grid and screen currents within operating limits. USE THE RECORDED PRESETS TO GET STARTED DRIVING AT LOWER POWER LEVELS. For 35 watts in I saw 2100+ watts out on 20 meters. About the same on 40. On 6 we obtained 1500 watts out for 29 watts in. The tuning is a bit sensitive on 6 so you need to go slow. The construction is excellent with sharp attention to detail. Sort of an amplifier version or a Breitling Watch. The OLED meter is very well light with several menus are settable and easy to customize. The amplifier weighs about 57 lbs. and has a small foot print on the desk. When turning on the unit the countdown timer starts at 210 seconds and at zero you are ready to go. The amplifier has many fault protection conditions and you will be hard pressed to harm the amplifier in any way.

The manual is very helpful but is a black and white copy of some original somewhere. The pictures are fuzzy at best and you are better off downloading the manual from the internet and printing a copy yourself. The Analog VSWR meter is very accurate but the meter back lighting needs some work. White LED lights would be helpful here. The amplifier has three antenna selections which is very nice. Fuse sockets ore on the rear and protected with a metal strap. All the watt meter readings were confirmed accurate on my test watt meters. The amplifier has a rear fan and a blower for the tube plenum area. Exhaust is out the top of the left rear chassis cover.

The amplifier came with a test sheet showing the tune and load for 1500 watts out which is very helpful for getting started. Being a Tetrode amplifier your tuning will change with different wattage drives. I found the amplifier efficiency to be very good and the heat from the tube cavity exhaust was normal at legal limit out. The OLED display will give you the anode exhaust temperature. The power cord is detachable which is very nice when carrying something this heavy. The keying patch cable was included along with spare fuses. The chassis has several feet (more than 4) for table top use along with extra feet in the location of the transformer. Fan noise is very low.

The on the air reports indicated the signal was very clean and the spectral foot print was as clean as the IC-7300 exciter. I did notice some transformer hum when tuning at maximum continuous carrier output but under normal CW and SSB modes the transformer was quiet.

This amplifier breaks the price quality barrier for a 160-6 meter, legal limit amplifier with up to 700 watts of head room. Power output is lower on 6 but still above legal limit. It has been a long time in coming where a ham can get this performance for under $3600. I have been an Alpha man all my life and this unit is a game changer.

IK7UXY Rating: 5/5 Apr 21, 2016 06:20 Send this review to a friend
Great amp  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I'm very happy for choosing this amplifier. All specifications are easily obtainable. Excellent relationship with a manufacturer.

Gianni IK7UXY

KB8O Rating: 5/5 Mar 26, 2016 10:51 Send this review to a friend
BEST Amp for the money!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
After much research of other amplifiers I bought 2 of the OM Power 2000+'s. I needed an amp that had 6m in it and also legal limit on rtty. I have had all the Ameritron amplifiers in the past, and even the ALS 1306 solid state. These amps replaced an AL80B and a ALS 1306 in my multi 2 contest station. I bought the amps and received the amps in less then 3 days direct from Slovakia. Both service from Jay at Array Solutions and the Gentlemen at OM are very helpful and pleasant to work with. Both amps take about 30-40w for full legal output , are totally overloaded with protection , and just sit and run at low temperatures. Inside and out the build quality is over the top and the features on the display are more then most people will ever use. I was worried about the noise of the fans but they are quieter then the old amps we used to use . We just did 8 hours or so in the CQ WPX SSB contest and we tried our hardest to get the secondary temperature controlled fan to come on but couldn't make it happen... 100% satisfied with amps , the buying process, and the support !

Jay KB8O