Reviews Categories | Transceivers: HF Amateur HF+6M+VHF+UHF models - not QRP <5W | Yaesu FT-991/991A Help

Reviews Summary for Yaesu FT-991/991A
Yaesu FT-991/991A Reviews: 162 Average rating: 4.1/5 MSRP: $1699.95
Description: The FT-991 is the next generation in all mode, all band MF/HF/VHF/UHF
transceiver with C4FM (System Fusion) Digital capability. The FT-991
includes multi-mode operation on CW, AM, FM, SSB, and Digital Modes
(Packet, PSK31, RTTY and C4FM), with 100 Watts of HF/50mhz Capability
(50 Watts VHF/UHF). High-resolution full color 3.5" TFT Touch panel for
superior operability and visibility, High Speed Spectrum scope with ASC
(Automatic Spectrum-scope control) built right in. Internal High Speed
Automatic Antenna Tuner included in the package.
More info: http://www.yaesu.com/indexVS.cfm?cmd=DisplayProducts&ProdCatID=102&encProdID=D24F60F33816ED8BE5568D7E2B5E2131&DivisionID=65&isArchived=0

You can write your own review of the Yaesu FT-991/991A.

K6IOU Rating: 4/5 Aug 6, 2018 16:38 Send this review to a friend
PLEASE FIX the DNR  Time owned: more than 12 months
My 991A has the latest firmware updates.

Yaesu touts the "15 algorithms" available with the Digital Noise Reduction {DNR]. However, they are all [to my ears] to aggressive.

Most give the "under water" warble sound. Only one setting [#9 on my rig] is even close to acceptable on SSB. The other 14 are useless.

I wish Yaesu would have one of the 15 settings programmed that would make the level of DNR variable by turning the Multi knob.

I really like the radio so I'm still giving it a 4.

K6TRQ Rating: 5/5 Jul 10, 2018 20:09 Send this review to a friend
does the job  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Purchased an FT-991A a few months ago as a first "base" station radio. While I often find that products that try to do everything well fall short, this radio hits the mark, at least for my needs. I have non-permanent antenna installs at home, with a Buddipole set up as a 20m vertical (full size) and a Comet VHF/UHF vertical. I don't contest, but do try to work DX when I can. In addition I listen to air bands as well due to my proximity to local airports.

I think the typical competitor for this is the IC-7300. From my messing around a bit with that radio, it does have a better/more flexible spectrum display. I can't speak to HF RX or TX performance on the 7300. I can say that I've been able to work stations in EU and AUS on the 991A (on 20m) and signal reports are positive.

I've A/B'd the 991A with my KX2 and find the receivers to be comparable. I do like the UI/UX with the Elecraft, but the touch screen on the 991A is functional (I just prefer dedicated buttons - I want a radio, not a computer/smartphone). On TX, the 100W of the 991A of course trumps the 12W of the KX2. No surprise there.

So for those looking at 7300 vs 991A, it really is a simple question - do you want/need VHF/UHF along with HF in one rig. If so, 991A is hard to beat - has real-time waterfall, decent DSP, and covers most everything. The 7300 will give you a bigger/nicer display, not sure there is night/day difference in RX/TX performance though. If you want VHF/UHF though, you'd have to get a second radio. Which isn't too expensive these days, but depends on what you want in your shack. As they say, YMMV.

W0LD Rating: 5/5 May 22, 2018 19:20 Send this review to a friend
Great DXpedition Radio  Time owned: more than 12 months
The 991A is a great DXpedition radio. It has the right power, 100 watts, a very good receiver, CW and voice memories and it is easy to operate. I travel with a 991A and a small linear amplifier and this is the absolutely best DXpedition solution.

YO2NAA Rating: 4/5 Apr 6, 2018 12:24 Send this review to a friend
Great radio, but it can be improved  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I have an FT-991A since Sep 2017. Overall, it is a great radio, good RX and nice features. Used only on HF so far.

For CW contesters and DX hunters, FT-991A is missing an important feature, the PTT for CW.
I'm using the internal USB serial port to key the radio in CW (contest software N1MM). Keying is done OK using the DTR line of the serial port. The RTS line of the same serial port is used as PTT by the N1MM software but FT-991A is ignoring the RTS when in CW mode (when DTR is set for CW keying).
In DATA modes PTT using the RTS of the same serial port is working OK.
I am forced to use the BK-IN delay and often on fast replies I miss the first part of the transmission.

Even when sending the internal CW memories using the FH2 remote, the PTT is depending on BK-IN delay, it should be asserted for entire message and then switch to RX with no delay, like it was on older FT-450.

I asked Yaesu Japan for an improvement on this matter in Jan 2018, no answer yet. Only Yaesu USA and UK answered very friendly, they also passed my request to Yaesu Japan but no feedback.

Beside CW PTT, I asked Yaesu for some additional improvements:

- The DNR is too aggresive with the last DSP firmware(01-11). On CW is actually OK but on SSB even DNR level 1 is affecting the intelligibility of the voice too much.
Some users have rolled back to DSP ver 01-09.

- SCP SPAN FREQ - please add 10KHz and 20 KHz SPAN, if technically possible. It would be useful for detailed CW pile up view

- Please add a gain parameter for spectrum and waterfall if possible. On quiet bands and very weak signals no waterfall can be seen.
Sometimes AMP2 needs to be activated to see the waterfall but for a good audio or from IMD point of view AMP1 or IPO should be activated instead.
Actually they solved somehow this issue in the last update (Main 02-01) by increasing the gain of the SCP.

- Please display CW-U instead of C-U

If other FT-991A owners are considering these improvements useful too, please send a request to Yaesu, maybe they will listen to us.

Sorry for the long writing, TNX for reading.

73 Ady YO2NAA

WZ4I Rating: 5/5 Mar 22, 2018 09:54 Send this review to a friend
Nice...  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
FT-991(A). Very good shack in a box solution. Menu system is well thought out. Touch screen works well, and is crisp visually. Very configurable. DSP filtering works better than I expected. Live band scope is nice. Internal tuner works like most others. Does have itís limits. Addition of an external speaker is a plus.

W8NWN Rating: 2/5 Mar 21, 2018 16:25 Send this review to a friend
TOO LITTLE  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Yaesu has finally mass produced a microscopic version of a real radio. Tiny tiny screen, small little buttons. I will say the back lighting on the buttons are a great addition. Radio is too small for big fingers. I guess we can use a "stylus" on the screen instead of a finger. I would not recommend this Radio. Sorry.

KB9FMV Rating: 5/5 Mar 12, 2018 04:33 Send this review to a friend
GREAT RIG 991  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Well after posting in January still going strong and what a delight ! HF OUTSTANDING AND FUSION OUTSTANDING HIGHLY RECOMMENED! AAAAAA ++++++++ GREAT RIG !

N7JS Rating: 0/5 Mar 5, 2018 07:59 Send this review to a friend
FT-991 Beware  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
This review is for the 991. These radios blow finals just looking at them. If you are buying one (which means it would be used) be sure they have had it in to Yaesu for adjustment/mod or most likely final replacement/adjustment. If not, you will probably be sending it in at some point. Yaesu really should have compensated (or offered a free upgrade to) the original purchasers of this radio. There is a big reason why they rushed out the 991A and it wasn't just for the real time display.

G8UBJ Rating: 5/5 Mar 3, 2018 10:29 Send this review to a friend
Solid - a winner  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have had this a short while and really am enjoying it. Yes the menus are a little buried but they are easy to understand and the range of features is excellent for such a small transceiver.

The DNR works well and 70CM sensitivity is really good (Re-discovering that band). I noticed my other C4FM transceivers all suffered serious intermod from a local pager on 2M but this one is clean as a whistle.

It would be nice to have 4M but I have an Icom box for that.

Considering the price, range of features, and bands covered this is an excellent transceiver and definitely the radio for field day use.

ON4VP Rating: 4/5 Feb 26, 2018 01:58 Send this review to a friend
Nice shack in the box, very versatile  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I've had several radios that do all band, all mode and most came from Yaesu.
The're the only company that does the effort to offer a shack in one box except the Icom 706/7000 model.
It will probabely be not the best radio around but for sure the most versatile.

Things I use this transceiver for are:

- portable HF and 6 meters (having 100 watts to my disposal and not just qrp)
- VHF/UFH ssb or cw with directional antennas, beacons, both at home or portable
- C4FM (Fusion) digital modes.
- Winlink packet radio both in 1K2 or 9K6. (with soundmodem no hardware needed, but I do have dedicated tnc's)
- Digital modes while portable.

The menu structure imho is something to get used to. According band and mode you get a lot of things to change or set.
Per mode one can assing 4 quick buttons on the bottom of the screen. That is good, 6 would have been better to cover most.
I do like the real time bandscope although it's no match for my IC-7610 screen. Not even close. But real time means you can see what is going on on neighbour channels.
The FT-991A already does a lot of stuff but full duplex dualband would have been the max. Even with some additional price raise.
I use this radio a lot for satellite work and it does a great job at it but nut full duplex. But dual vfo's tend to follow the software and are corrected for doppler.
The lcd touch display has a decent clarity when using outdoors when set to highest value. It will cost you a bit of battery power.
I have a 10000 mAh 4-cell LiFe pack that works great and gives me several hours of outdoor fun, even with 50 watts or more.

Audio is good, filtering does good job, quiet receiver but close in though signals can be hard to filter out.
The A-model comes with a 3KHz roofing filter and this does help.

Using the two virtual com ports does give you total control and even access to real FSK and CW keying without any cables or hardware.
Memory menu's for contesting are present, both in ssb, cw, rtty.

Personally I choose this radio for it acceptable size and weight for portable use and it's still a nice desktop rig in the shack for all band use with all modes at your hand.
Price is good and thanks to some new features and better receiver + digital Fusion it is a way better radio than the older 897 and 857 radios.

I can recommend this transeiver for people that like one solution for all their needs and don't want to overpay.
And like in real life, some compromises have to be taken in account.

If it had full duplex satellite mode, I rate it 5 since it has so much to offer in one box.
Looking at it's performance it's a solid 4/5.