Reviews Categories | Transceivers: HF Amateur HF+6M+VHF+UHF models - not QRP <5W | Yaesu FT-991/991A Help

Reviews Summary for Yaesu FT-991/991A
Yaesu FT-991/991A Reviews: 173 Average rating: 4.0/5 MSRP: $1699.95
Description: The FT-991 is the next generation in all mode, all band MF/HF/VHF/UHF
transceiver with C4FM (System Fusion) Digital capability. The FT-991
includes multi-mode operation on CW, AM, FM, SSB, and Digital Modes
(Packet, PSK31, RTTY and C4FM), with 100 Watts of HF/50mhz Capability
(50 Watts VHF/UHF). High-resolution full color 3.5" TFT Touch panel for
superior operability and visibility, High Speed Spectrum scope with ASC
(Automatic Spectrum-scope control) built right in. Internal High Speed
Automatic Antenna Tuner included in the package.
More info: http://www.yaesu.com/indexVS.cfm?cmd=DisplayProducts&ProdCatID=102&encProdID=D24F60F33816ED8BE5568D7E2B5E2131&DivisionID=65&isArchived=0

You can write your own review of the Yaesu FT-991/991A.

G0TVM Rating: 4/5 Feb 19, 2019 23:14 Send this review to a friend
Follow up from a previous review  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This is follow up of a review I wrote earlier 9th Feb 2019, where I reported my two week old radio stopped transmitting on all bands.

The radio was sent back to Yaesu UK on Saturday, they received it on Monday and on Tuesday a NEW radio was dispatched and it arrived Wednesday. Now that's great service from Yaesu UK.

I use an external audio mixer and separate monitoring loudspeakers so each radio is heard on the same system. On RX compared to my ICOM 7300 the FT991A sounded a bit woolly lacking in HF, however using the contour menu I was able to make radio sound a little bit more crispier by adjusting the frequency to 2900hz and setting the level to 7. Surprisingly this didn't really increase the noise or hiss but did improve the audio quality.

using the MD100 microphone or the MH31, audio reports coming in suggested that the audio was not as good as the ICOM 7300 basically lacking in LF and HF, however using the Microphone Parametric Equaliser I was able to improve the TX audio, but this still didn't sound a smooth as the ICOM 7300.

I do not like the DNR, I cannot find a setting (1 to 15) I like, they all sound awful making it sound as though its under water. Therefore I tend to leave it off. What would be nice if Yaesu added the ability to adjust the amount of DNR level this way one can adjust the amount of noise reduction that takes place and possibly stop it sounding as thought your speaker is in a fish bowl.

Finally this is a great radio which covers 1.8Mhz to 440Mhz all from the one box, it can easily be used as a mobile in your car or motor home. in my opinion it doesn't put a big dent in your wallet either, you get a lot for the price you pay.

G0TVM

NW2M Rating: 5/5 Feb 19, 2019 20:25 Send this review to a friend
Outstanding radio  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I just purchased my new FT-991A at the 2019 HamCation in FLA. I have only had this radio for a week, however, my comments are based upon knowing the Yaesu product line. I like the Yaesu products as I have a FT-857D, a FTdx-3000, a FTM-400XDR, and now a FT-991A. I did not buy this because of the System Fusion capability, but rather, the other outstanding features and performance. I needed a base unit with solid 2M and 440 all mode capability. This is a perfect fit for my needs. Discounts and promotions made the decision that much easier.

First, I was surprised about the relative small size. For an all-in-one radio, this is very compact. I am being critical here, as the compactness comes at a price. The controls and features must be moved to the screen or internal menus, as there is simply not enough real estate for buttons and controls on the front panel. The touch sensitive color display is easy to see and touch-navigation is a snap. As a contrast, my 875D is 95% menu driven and the 3000 is 5% menu driven. The 991A has a nice balance between menus and controls. The 991A's 3-deep band stacking keeps all of my previous setting for 3-different modes for each band. The tuner has no problem with slight mismatches. The 3-band parametric equalizer works very well. The local monitor MON function allows me to listen to my signals via over the ear cushioned earphones. Radio checks are almost a thing of the past. I also ordered the FH-2 control pad to record voice tracks and CW messages.

I operate the new digital modes by using a *single* USB cable. Data in/out and PPT are work seamlessly with HRD and WSJT-X. Always load the Yaesu USB drivers *before* you ever connect any radio! FT8 and PSK31 work great. I find that when the radio is cold the ALC really jumps requiring me to lower the drive. After 2-4 minutes I can go back to my normal settings. I have the same issue with my 3000. Frequency accuracy is very accurate. Menu #39 even allows you fine tune with calibrated equipment. No need to ever open the covers. On the high-side, 2M and 440 work very well. Menus allow you to easily adjust the microphone settings on FM. I have yet to make a Fusion contact, but that is next.

Overall this is a really great radio. I really like the sound and features of the 991A. I use a 6x9 external speaker. My FTdx-3000 is now set aside. It is unclear what I will do with my 857D and Y3k. My car already has the FTM-400XDR. Time will tell. After listening to a 991 to/from the Hamvention, I knew I wanted the updated 991A. I wish you all the best if you are considering buying a 991A. 73, Al - NW2M

AB3MO Rating: 4/5 Jan 30, 2019 17:50 Send this review to a friend
991A Better Choice Than 991!!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Used a 991 during Field Day 2016 and the same 991 upgraded to a 991A during Field Day 2017. Almost no comparison between the two in the sense that the 991A is so much better -- almost comparable to a Kenwood TS-590S. The difference between the two mainly lies in the 590S being better at strong adjacent signal rejection, a narrower pass band, and more readily accessible filter shift and bandwidth controls without entering a menu! The 991A does have the advantage of being an almost universal HF/VHF/UHF transceiver! This is a good starter rig. Both the 590S AND 991/991A travel well!!

K7LZR Rating: 5/5 Jan 30, 2019 06:39 Send this review to a friend
Very good all-around radio  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have a brand-new FT-991A and I'm quite pleased with it. First, its drop-dead gorgeous! Afterall, looks are everything you know ;). Second, it really is a very good performing all-around radio for those who want all bands & modes in one box.

On HF, I find the receiver to be quiet and sensitive. I use it regularly with 3 different antennas - a small magnetic loop, an 80m double-bazooka at 35ft and a 50ft. random wire. On all antennas, the receiver really shines compared to past rigs in terms of quietness and fatigue free listening.

It did take me a bit to get used to using the touch screen. I have such screens on my cell phone & tablet computer of course but they operate differently because they use moving graphics whereas the FT-991A display shows only static buttons and scrolling lists of options. It also can be somewhat awkward to use because some of the virtual buttons are close together. Some of the FT-991A options are not logically grouped together and so it might be necessary to jump across several screens in order to set certain items.

The built-in panadapter & waterfall are useful and do work well as-is but would be even more useful if the visual gains could be adjusted.

I do feel that way too many options are devoted to adjusting the transmitted audio, and also too many contest-oriented features.

These are just my personal small nits and none are deal breakers on an otherwise awesome radio.

I also bought & tried an FT-891 but quickly found problems (for me) with it. Most glaring was the dumbed down interface and feature set with its clunky mode select and no LSB/USB selection without having to reset the BFO in a menu. And unlike others, I didn't really care for the DSP nor overall receive audio.

The FT-991A overcomes these things nicely. Like the FT-891, the FT-991A also has 15 DSP algorithms available but they all seem to sound MUCH better and less aggressive than those of the FT-891.

Another thing of note is that the FT-991A has (2) CAT ports. One of them is pure old school RS232 and that is simply a GREAT feature vs USB because it requires no drivers with their associated problems. It also means that if so desired, a simple old DOS computer with a terminal program and macros could fully control this radio. And for the one-cable USB data & audio digimode fans, the FT-991A can do that too. Way to go Yaesu!

I think that Yaesu has done a good job of overcoming the early teething problems of the FT-991 and has produced a fine all-band, all-mode radio.

N4MQ Rating: 2/5 Jan 3, 2019 00:21 Send this review to a friend
Connectors are a pain and not standard  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
The Yaesu 991A's 8 pin connector on the rear is not standard in that the #4 pin is off set from typical 8 pin mini din plugs. I found what I needed by searching EBAY. Woody

N4MQ Rating: 3/5 Jan 2, 2019 01:07 Send this review to a friend
Connectors are a pain  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Just bought this radio, works well BUT the rig does not come with connectors for the rear panel, and the 8 pin mic cable is awkward to use. How do you add your own mic? Factory desk mics are listed at 400+$ and 700+$= stupid. The mini din connectors to connect to MY AMP are not provided and I have to figure out how to interface pins and there is NO SCHEMATIC to id the pins - I had to meter pins to see what was what and be sure with a new rig. This suprised me, my FTDX3000 was not this way. Pinouts should show specs and ratings V and I etc. WOODY

KD2OAM Rating: 3/5 Dec 17, 2018 13:59 Send this review to a friend
FT-991A sent in for Repair 3 times now  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I've had the Ft-991A for a year now and have had to send it back 3 times for repair. The first time the finals went, the second time the motherboard had a short, and the third time the PA Unit was replaced.

Maybe I just got a lemon, not sure. Comparing this 991A to my 450D, the 450D has a better receiver and just works better all around. Only lacks the spectrum scope. Granted the 991A has more bells and whistles.

When I sent it in for the third time I purchased an Icom-7300 based on a lot of the ham operators who own one. No comparison of the 7300 to the 991A.

Comparing the 991A to the Icom-7300 is like comparing the flicker of a fire fly's butt to the blustering rays of the noonday sun.

I can only figure I bought a lemon.

GM0ELP Rating: 0/5 Dec 8, 2018 15:17 Send this review to a friend
DO NOT BUY IF YOU ARE A CW OP  Time owned: more than 12 months
This radio is currently incapable of PTT using RTS in CW mode! You can only use break-in and an associated delay. This renders the radio useless for any serious cw operations involving contest logging software (eg Wintest, N1MM etc).
I have contacted Tim Factor, KT7F of Yaesu Amateur Radio Technical Support to report the fault who answered "I am sorry the circuit does not operate as your particular supplication requires".
Please do not fall into the same trap as I did, what a waste of money!

KB9FMV Rating: 5/5 Dec 1, 2018 18:48 Send this review to a friend
OUTSTANDING FT 991 NOT A  Time owned: more than 12 months
Well after just about a year with this rig must say GREAT ALL AROUND RIG! It pulls out the HF weak signals and once you learn how to set it up thru the menus great receiver and NO DOUBT GREAT TRANSMITTER! I worked this rig through the paces working DX for 3 day straight and no problems also used it so much on FUSION AMAZING RESULTS! This rig is the 991 that went back to Yaesu to set the bias correctly ! I bought it from MTC with a 2 year warranty would highly recommend them good staff! I would say if you could get either the A model or just the plain 991 for all around shack in the box this is it! I had the Kenwood TS 2000 and the receive on HF was not as good as the Yaesu course the Yaesu is newer technology!

K4IIY Rating: 4/5 Dec 1, 2018 14:39 Send this review to a friend
solid rig  Time owned: more than 12 months
Three years on line with the FT-991 and going strong. Very nice for digital modes. Once I learned the menu system operation was a breeze. Has been used for field day ops with very good success.