Reviews Categories | Transceivers: HF Amateur HF+6M+VHF+UHF models - not QRP <5W | Yaesu FT-991/991A Help

Reviews Summary for Yaesu FT-991/991A
Yaesu FT-991/991A Reviews: 181 Average rating: 4.1/5 MSRP: $1699.95
Description: The FT-991 is the next generation in all mode, all band MF/HF/VHF/UHF
transceiver with C4FM (System Fusion) Digital capability. The FT-991
includes multi-mode operation on CW, AM, FM, SSB, and Digital Modes
(Packet, PSK31, RTTY and C4FM), with 100 Watts of HF/50mhz Capability
(50 Watts VHF/UHF). High-resolution full color 3.5" TFT Touch panel for
superior operability and visibility, High Speed Spectrum scope with ASC
(Automatic Spectrum-scope control) built right in. Internal High Speed
Automatic Antenna Tuner included in the package.
More info: http://www.yaesu.com/indexVS.cfm?cmd=DisplayProducts&ProdCatID=102&encProdID=D24F60F33816ED8BE5568D7E2B5E2131&DivisionID=65&isArchived=0

You can write your own review of the Yaesu FT-991/991A.

AB3MO Rating: 4/5 Jan 30, 2019 17:50 Send this review to a friend
991A Better Choice Than 991!!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Used a 991 during Field Day 2016 and the same 991 upgraded to a 991A during Field Day 2017. Almost no comparison between the two in the sense that the 991A is so much better -- almost comparable to a Kenwood TS-590S. The difference between the two mainly lies in the 590S being better at strong adjacent signal rejection, a narrower pass band, and more readily accessible filter shift and bandwidth controls without entering a menu! The 991A does have the advantage of being an almost universal HF/VHF/UHF transceiver! This is a good starter rig. Both the 590S AND 991/991A travel well!!

K7LZR Rating: 5/5 Jan 30, 2019 06:39 Send this review to a friend
Very good all-around radio  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have a brand-new FT-991A and I'm quite pleased with it. First, its drop-dead gorgeous! Afterall, looks are everything you know ;). Second, it really is a very good performing all-around radio for those who want all bands & modes in one box.

On HF, I find the receiver to be quiet and sensitive. I use it regularly with 3 different antennas - a small magnetic loop, an 80m double-bazooka at 35ft and a 50ft. random wire. On all antennas, the receiver really shines compared to past rigs in terms of quietness and fatigue free listening.

It did take me a bit to get used to using the touch screen. I have such screens on my cell phone & tablet computer of course but they operate differently because they use moving graphics whereas the FT-991A display shows only static buttons and scrolling lists of options. It also can be somewhat awkward to use because some of the virtual buttons are close together. Some of the FT-991A options are not logically grouped together and so it might be necessary to jump across several screens in order to set certain items.

The built-in panadapter & waterfall are useful and do work well as-is but would be even more useful if the visual gains could be adjusted.

I do feel that way too many options are devoted to adjusting the transmitted audio, and also too many contest-oriented features.

These are just my personal small nits and none are deal breakers on an otherwise awesome radio.

I also bought & tried an FT-891 but quickly found problems (for me) with it. Most glaring was the dumbed down interface and feature set with its clunky mode select and no LSB/USB selection without having to reset the BFO in a menu. And unlike others, I didn't really care for the DSP nor overall receive audio.

The FT-991A overcomes these things nicely. Like the FT-891, the FT-991A also has 15 DSP algorithms available but they all seem to sound MUCH better and less aggressive than those of the FT-891.

Another thing of note is that the FT-991A has (2) CAT ports. One of them is pure old school RS232 and that is simply a GREAT feature vs USB because it requires no drivers with their associated problems. It also means that if so desired, a simple old DOS computer with a terminal program and macros could fully control this radio. And for the one-cable USB data & audio digimode fans, the FT-991A can do that too. Way to go Yaesu!

I think that Yaesu has done a good job of overcoming the early teething problems of the FT-991 and has produced a fine all-band, all-mode radio.

N4MQ Rating: 2/5 Jan 3, 2019 00:21 Send this review to a friend
Connectors are a pain and not standard  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
The Yaesu 991A's 8 pin connector on the rear is not standard in that the #4 pin is off set from typical 8 pin mini din plugs. I found what I needed by searching EBAY. Woody

N4MQ Rating: 3/5 Jan 2, 2019 01:07 Send this review to a friend
Connectors are a pain  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Just bought this radio, works well BUT the rig does not come with connectors for the rear panel, and the 8 pin mic cable is awkward to use. How do you add your own mic? Factory desk mics are listed at 400+$ and 700+$= stupid. The mini din connectors to connect to MY AMP are not provided and I have to figure out how to interface pins and there is NO SCHEMATIC to id the pins - I had to meter pins to see what was what and be sure with a new rig. This suprised me, my FTDX3000 was not this way. Pinouts should show specs and ratings V and I etc. WOODY

KD2OAM Rating: 3/5 Dec 17, 2018 13:59 Send this review to a friend
FT-991A sent in for Repair 3 times now  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I've had the Ft-991A for a year now and have had to send it back 3 times for repair. The first time the finals went, the second time the motherboard had a short, and the third time the PA Unit was replaced.

Maybe I just got a lemon, not sure. Comparing this 991A to my 450D, the 450D has a better receiver and just works better all around. Only lacks the spectrum scope. Granted the 991A has more bells and whistles.

When I sent it in for the third time I purchased an Icom-7300 based on a lot of the ham operators who own one. No comparison of the 7300 to the 991A.

Comparing the 991A to the Icom-7300 is like comparing the flicker of a fire fly's butt to the blustering rays of the noonday sun.

I can only figure I bought a lemon.

GM0ELP Rating: 0/5 Dec 8, 2018 15:17 Send this review to a friend
DO NOT BUY IF YOU ARE A CW OP  Time owned: more than 12 months
This radio is currently incapable of PTT using RTS in CW mode! You can only use break-in and an associated delay. This renders the radio useless for any serious cw operations involving contest logging software (eg Wintest, N1MM etc).
I have contacted Tim Factor, KT7F of Yaesu Amateur Radio Technical Support to report the fault who answered "I am sorry the circuit does not operate as your particular supplication requires".
Please do not fall into the same trap as I did, what a waste of money!

KB9FMV Rating: 5/5 Dec 1, 2018 18:48 Send this review to a friend
OUTSTANDING FT 991 NOT A  Time owned: more than 12 months
Well after just about a year with this rig must say GREAT ALL AROUND RIG! It pulls out the HF weak signals and once you learn how to set it up thru the menus great receiver and NO DOUBT GREAT TRANSMITTER! I worked this rig through the paces working DX for 3 day straight and no problems also used it so much on FUSION AMAZING RESULTS! This rig is the 991 that went back to Yaesu to set the bias correctly ! I bought it from MTC with a 2 year warranty would highly recommend them good staff! I would say if you could get either the A model or just the plain 991 for all around shack in the box this is it! I had the Kenwood TS 2000 and the receive on HF was not as good as the Yaesu course the Yaesu is newer technology!

K4IIY Rating: 4/5 Dec 1, 2018 14:39 Send this review to a friend
solid rig  Time owned: more than 12 months
Three years on line with the FT-991 and going strong. Very nice for digital modes. Once I learned the menu system operation was a breeze. Has been used for field day ops with very good success.

N8NN Rating: 5/5 Nov 25, 2018 22:32 Send this review to a friend
Good Radio!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
My Yaesu FT-900/AT died after 24 years of faithful service as a portable and back-up rig. I replaced it with an FT-991A. I am not disappointed! The 991A receiver is excellent and the filtering works well as expected. This weekend I worked 42 countries on 40 and 20 meters CW barefoot using a portable vertical antenna. With a computer it works well on PSK, RTTY (true FSK or AFSK) and FT8. CW QSK break-in works well. The interface to my Yaesu Quadra amp at home is flawless.

I'm not crazy about the menus, but with a small radio there isn't enough room to install a dozen or more dedicated knobs. It's unfair to compare this small radio to a full-sized base station radio. It is intended to give you HF/VHF/UHF in a small portable box. For the price, it delivers a lot of performance.

It's a modern radio with three COM ports (RS-232 and two USB) to interface with all your ham software. You seldom seldom need the Menu once you're setup. There are dedicated buttons to bring up the Band, Mode, and Function screens with a single push.

I recommend this radio for those needing a full function 100 watt portable radio. At home it does everything you would expect of a base station radio.

K6IOU Rating: 4/5 Aug 6, 2018 16:38 Send this review to a friend
PLEASE FIX the DNR  Time owned: more than 12 months
My 991A has the latest firmware updates.

Yaesu touts the "15 algorithms" available with the Digital Noise Reduction {DNR]. However, they are all [to my ears] to aggressive.

Most give the "under water" warble sound. Only one setting [#9 on my rig] is even close to acceptable on SSB. The other 14 are useless.

I wish Yaesu would have one of the 15 settings programmed that would make the level of DNR variable by turning the Multi knob.

I really like the radio so I'm still giving it a 4.