Reviews Categories | Interfaces, Radio to computer, amp, rotor, coax switch, internet | HRI-200 Help

Reviews Summary for HRI-200
HRI-200 Reviews: 4 Average rating: 2.5/5 MSRP: $$125
Description: HIGH PERFORMANCE DIGITAL AND ANALOG INTERNET LINKING.
The Yaesu WIRES-X HRI-200 (Wide-coverage Internet
Repeater Enhancement System) enables Internet to RF
communications that expands the range of amateur radio
using internet enabled Voice-over-IP technology. With
WIRES-X, an amateur node station connected to the
Internet and Interfaced to the WIRES-X HRI-200 unit can
communicate using VoIP over long distances reliably with
ease.
More info: http://www.yaesu.com/indexVS.cfm?cmd=DisplayProducts&ProdCatID=108&encProdID=1D23D01F7B34D76072988D9857AA1A7C&DivisionID=65&isArchived=0

You can write your own review of the HRI-200.

N8AAA Rating: 0/5 Jan 30, 2019 22:13 Send this review to a friend
Only compatible to TWO radios  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I recently bought a FT-991A and as there are no Wires X compatible repeaters in the area, I was looking for alternatives. All I could find was the HRI-200 device. Supposedly it not only allows you to use Wires X with all features, but even allow you to operate your own digital Wires X node....

WRONG!

The "latest and greatest", all-band, all-mode, waterfall, touch screen digital radio the experts at Yaesu sell is NOT COMPATIBLE to the HRI-200. And of course, the message that there is only the FTM-100DR and the FTM-400DR compatible is not even found anywhere on their website,

The "analog" mode they squeezed in to claim "compatibility" is as useless as a dummy load for DX success. NONE of the Wires X functionality is available in that "analog" mode, not even changing rooms... completely and utterly useless and something a Raspberry Pi DMR hotspot can deliver for 1/3 of the cost of the HRI-200.

The other thing Yaesu leaves out of their description/advertisement is the fact that you need a PC/notebook connected and running ALL the time when you want to use the HRI-200.

Bottom line, unless you own a FTM-100DR or FTM-400DR and have a spare computer, my recommendation is to leave this 1980s technology alone. I am convinced that there is a reason that Yaesu made their digital mode approach closed caption - it most likely is pretty embarrassing what they put together.

VK3MJA Rating: 5/5 Sep 3, 2017 03:47 Send this review to a friend
Flawless  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This interface took me almost 3 weeks to work it out. The challenge for me was how to allow it in my router, but after I worked it out it is perfect! I used this interface with my Yaesu FT-400 XDR and it works flawless. This interface even works with FT-8900 and FT-2900R.

KC0VOE Rating: 0/5 Jan 15, 2016 16:34 Send this review to a friend
Failure   Time owned: 0 to 3 months
The wires x servers need to be handed over to amateurs. Yeasu should not be running this system. There are problems with the system. Messaging sometimes works, sometimes sends the same message multiple times. Everything is intermittent. I was surprised you have to take it apart and flip a switch to update the firmware. It reminded me of the 1990s. Windows only software is a disaster. Nodes won't run for more than a few days before the software hangs up. This is a digital system, We should be able to type in someone's call sign and have it tell us what room she is In. It should be able to tell us who is currently in a room, all right on your radio. Fusion is turning out to be a disappointing experiment.

WD0FIA Rating: 5/5 Dec 20, 2014 18:21 Send this review to a friend
WIRES-X  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
So far I can find nothing to complain about. Hardware and software is easy to setup, all cables are included. Audio is great, it works reliably. Everything was Plug and Play, even the ports on my router were fully configured by the software!