Reviews Categories | Amplifiers: RF Power - HF & HF+6M | Ameritron ALS 1306 Help

Reviews Summary for Ameritron ALS 1306
Ameritron ALS 1306 Reviews: 34 Average rating: 4.4/5 MSRP: $$3,000
Description: Ameritron HF+6 1200W Solid State Amplifier 1.5-54 MHz . .
. 1200 Watts PEP Output, Instant Automatic band switching,
no tuning, no warm-up, SWR protected, Quiet Variable-Speed
Cooling . . . PEP FWD/REF Metering...PA Balance /ALC
Metering and LED Indicator . . . Front Panel Band/Error
LEDs . . . more!
More info: http://www.ameritron.com/Product.php?productid=ALS-1306

You can write your own review of the Ameritron ALS 1306 .

WA4DOU Rating: 5/5 Jan 16, 2019 03:58 Send this review to a friend
Very Good Amplifier  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've had my ALS-1306 for about 1.5 years, without a hint of failure. It's my understanding that it's 2 RF sections from the ALS-606, with a combiner, and I assume the same is true for the ALS-1300 and ALS-600, as well. Although rated at 1200 watts PEP output, with no mention of a CW rating, it stands to reason that the 1306/1300 amps should only be rated at 1000 watts on CW, as the smaller amps are rated at 500 watts, on CW. Since I operate CW almost exclusively, I tend to run this amp mostly in the 500-900 watt range, and never over 1 KW. I've read one or more reviews that reported users measuring power outputs up to as much as 1700 watts output, I would strongly advise against trying to exceed the rating of 1200 on voice peaks, and getting an accurate watt-meter, as this sort of conduct invites failure. Having owned the ALS-600 for several years previously, without any hint of failure, I'm quite happy with Ameritron in general and this ALS-1306 in particular.

KK4LB Rating: 4/5 Jan 11, 2019 21:33 Send this review to a friend
Broken revisited  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Had to send unit back 2 times. Was the power supply problem. They paid the freight, but fairly long waits both times. Now that it's back and running, it is the best thing since ice cream.

KI7SJC Rating: 0/5 Nov 15, 2018 01:06 Send this review to a friend
FAILED AGAIN  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
SECOND FAILURE. 1ST WAS MOSFET PWR OUTPUT TRANSISTOR. REPAIR WAS REPLACEMENT. NO CHANGES. NO EXCUSE. 40W INPUT FROM ICOMM 7300 TO HEXBEAM AT 1kw.
NOW, SWR 1:1, RG733 TO HEXBEAM 20m SINGLE BAND, 1 KW OUT. "PA" LIGHT COMES ON, SHUTS EVERYTHING OFF TO RESET AND REPEAT IF PWR OVER 20 WATTS RTTY. WAS WORKING FINE EVERY DAY FOR MONTHS IN SAME OP MODE ON 20M.
PWR SUPPLY OK.
THIS SECOND FAILURE IN LESS THAN 3 MONTHS SINCE FIRST FAILURE AND 5 MONTHS SINCE MISTAKE BUYING THIS THING. $2800--ASKING FOER REFUND.

KD0YSW Rating: 5/5 Sep 20, 2018 23:05 Send this review to a friend
Great reliable amplifier  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Have had one now for about a year. Wanted to make sure it didnít have any problems. It has been a gem and works with with K3s amplifier. It has great protection. Auto band switching works great especially as Yagi antenna is flat swr across most of band. Canít think of anyway to make this amp easier to use. Can easily hit 1500 watts but really this is not needed. Usually drive for less than kw. I have had nothing but 3 solid state amps and all have been very reliable.

K0KS Rating: 5/5 Aug 25, 2018 16:15 Send this review to a friend
Solid Solid-State Power  Time owned: more than 12 months
After a year it still works as new and protects me from my errors. Friends had problems with the ALS-600 so I was nervous about purchase of the 1306 but no problems have emerged. This replaces a very old AL-1200 and the warm up time, believe it or not, is the same for the solid state. The 1306 can easily run legal-limit power but I'm happy with 1200W they recommend. It works well with my IC-7300 and IC-746 and required no interface box. It's so quiet compared to the tube amp fans and the PS is tucked away out of sight/sound. The down side of SS amps: they require an antenna tuner since they don't have the pi-net output that tube amps have. Any tuner, even automatic ones, have loss that may be significant depending on the match required.
I'm not a contester but have run some RTTY to warm things. There are thermal warning and shut-downs that my tube amps have lacked.
AND--it works 6 Meters if that band ever awakens again.

KA5DOB Rating: 5/5 Aug 7, 2018 10:29 Send this review to a friend
1500 Easy Watts from my 1306  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I'm amazed at how easy it reaches 1500 watts with 65 watts drive. I got 1800 a few times testing into my cantenna dummy load. I added a ALC line between the radio and amp and set the ALC knob on the Amp to limit it to 1200 rated watts while using a signal from the Ameritron Tuning Pulser.

Great amp with the best feature is turning it on and off.
Another is the Auto-Band-feature. Set the Function knob to REM and with the interconnect cable to your radio the Amp will change bands automatically as you change them on your radio.

This is becoming a very popular solid state amplifier due to it's reasonable cost and high watts including 6-meters. I have talked to many 1306 owners in the last few weeks on 20 meters.

KA5DOB Rating: 5/5 Jun 15, 2018 18:42 Send this review to a friend
This is really a nice sold state amp  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I'm really liking this new solid state amp. It includes a interconnect cord to my radio's Comm port. This allows the radios band selection to match automatically in the amplifier. If the amp sees a problem it cuts the power back on the exciter using this same interconnect cable. I found the 1306 tends to hit 15K a little to easy and can go to 18K while testing into a dummy load. I added a ALC cable from the radio to the amp and set the amps ALC to 1200 watts limit which is the power it's designed for.

The twin 50 volt 50 amp supply is separate from the amp itself which makes it easy to move around if needed. I measured the amps exhaust temp and it runs around 93 degrees when i'm using the amp. It cools partially when the other ham is talking. I seldom feel any warm air blowing from the separate power supply.

W8SPM Rating: 5/5 Feb 11, 2018 18:04 Send this review to a friend
Great Amplifier  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Only having the ALS-1306 for a few weeks I can say it really works well! Very Nice for it to track the band I am operating in my IC-7300 ! I am using it on several ham bands 160-80-40 along with a Palstar AT4K Tuner ! These solid state amps do not like SWR so it is important to keep the antenna tuned properly ! The amp is rated 1200 watts and it does that very easily and will do more ! Ameritron advised me to avoid running more than 1200 watts to keep the amp linear ! Runs very cool on any mode and I've never heard the fan increase speed ! Very Nice Product and I don't think you can beat it at its price point ?I have inspected the inside of the amp and it is actually 2-ALS-600 power decks with a combiner ! The same thing was done in the ALS-600 switching supply ! Also having 6 meters is very nice and it does full power there also ! Ameritron supports their products and you can get any questions or concerns you have by Mike in amp service department ! Sam W8SPM

N5BWP Rating: 5/5 Dec 9, 2017 12:07 Send this review to a friend
Not Bad So Far  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
This is my 2nd HF Amp. My 1st one was a Elecraft KPA-500 Watt. I really wanted to buy the Elecraft KPA-1500 but the $5999.95 price tag scared me to death. HI HI Friends told me to take a look at the Ameritron ALS-1306. Well I did, and I bought one and purchased the MFJ-998 ATU also. HRO down in Plano, TX had a price that I could live with. The ALS-1306 really well with the ICOM IC-7300 and performs well the Mosley TA-54-XLN-6 up at 55'. So, I'm going to stick with the ALS-1306 and MFJ's 998 ATU for now. Would be nice if it was full legal limit.

K3YB Rating: 5/5 Nov 29, 2017 06:53 Send this review to a friend
A little bump, but great  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Absolutely delivers as promised. Delivers full rated power with about 40 watts in. Comrades have reported good audio and no adjacent spikes.

When first installed, all worked perfectly except the band select would not be triggered by external band data from the radio.

With the help of Ameritron, found a ribbon cable badly seated with a bent pin. Substituting another cable and works like a champ.

The folks at Ameritron are very helpful and responsive.

(I have run the amp with Elecraft K3S and ICOM 7300 and the amp fellows band data from them both perfectly.)

Only 1200 watts and not 1500 watts?

Yup.

Does it make a difference? Did a side by side on air test and the answer was... no. YMMV

I must admit, despite being an older fellow, I really like solid state NO TUNE operation. I thought I would miss tuning the old finals, but I don't! I emphatically don't!!!

I would recommend the amp highly, as well as the the help from the lads at Ameritron.