Reviews Categories | Transceivers: VHF/UHF+ Amateur Base/Mobile (non hand-held) | Icom IC-2730a Help

Reviews Summary for Icom IC-2730a
Icom IC-2730a Reviews: 31 Average rating: 4.0/5 MSRP: $419.00
Description: VHF/UHF Transceiver

You can write your own review of the Icom IC-2730a.

KA4AQM Rating: 4/5 Jul 30, 2019 12:56 Send this review to a friend
Great radio  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Like all the features. Recommend you do complete research before you buy any radio/radio accessories. I mark the radio down one notch because the fan is very noisy. I replaced mine with quieter after market fan that still responds to the radio’s internal instructions that can be set up via the menu. If you will remote the head from the body, then you probably won’t hear the fan. But if you attach the head with the optional attachment, it will be noisy in the shack. No excuse for Icom not supplying some type of body mounting bracket. Hope it does not start a trend with radio manufacturers.

N3ETA Rating: 0/5 Aug 4, 2018 16:13 Send this review to a friend
New low for Icom  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
As a long time Icom man, It pains me to say, This radio is an altogether new LOW for Icom. This is without a doubt one of the worse implemented, unthough out radio I have ever owned. Starting with the fact that almost everything is an option and expensive options at that. The documentation has sunk to an all time low. Even for Icom who has never been know for good manuals. The controls are absolutly the worst I've ever seen. The most used controls are the smallest and in the most inconvenient positions. the mounting system is awful. (Even after you spend an extra $200 to buy the brackets! None of which are included. You actually need a special accessory to attach the faceplate directly to the radio! So obviously it was designed to be used separately and yet you have to run a separate line from the main unit to the operating area just to plug a speaker in. This isn't bad if your putting it under one of the front seats but a pain if you plan to install it anywhere else. the separation cable isn't long enough to reach anywhere except under one of front seat and the only option is a RJ45 coupler and another piece of separation cable. To say that menu system is overly complex is an understatement This menu makes the old Yaesu menu system look great.
I have a earlier version of this radio and it was a pretty well thought out. Well....they threw all that out the window on this implementation.
If your looking for a dual band, dual VFO radio. I strongly suggest you look else where. If you can't find something better than this radio. DON'T BUY ANYTHING! It is that bad! Ive written my share of reviews on Eham and I do believe this is the first time I've checked "Awful!
As I said "A new LOW for the group at Icom":

WB3DYE Rating: 5/5 Jul 12, 2018 14:16 Send this review to a friend
QUESTION  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have an Icom 2730---duel band---50 watts.

I have looked at the Manuel but can't determine when listening to a repeater---how do I search for the correct pl tone?

VK2FZR Rating: 4/5 Jul 7, 2018 22:32 Send this review to a friend
pretty good  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have only had the radio for a couple of months and I really like it. its fairly easy to set up and use. I like that you can change pretty much every setting including mic gain. like other operators I don't like the fan, it runs full at speed when TXing no matter what power level and is very noisy, its more annoying than a dislike but otherwise I'm very happy with it.

SY9CGZ Rating: 4/5 Mar 28, 2018 15:06 Send this review to a friend
very good radio!!  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
very good dual band radio, but the fan makes a lot of noise especially at night.
I would like to have a mosque on the screen

KD9GOL Rating: 5/5 Feb 1, 2018 12:04 Send this review to a friend
Excellent dual band radio!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have owned this radio for almost 2 years now, it was actually my first radio after getting my license. 99% of the time it has been used in a mobile environment.

Received audio is great, although if using the radio in a mobile environment you will probably need an external speaker. Mine works fine with a non-amplified speaker, but in louder environments than my pickup you may need one. If using as a base the built in dual speakers should be fine. Air band receive is also excellent, and actually outperforms all my scanners in that respect. The radio includes a weather alert feature which is very nice when I'm in the field for SKYWARN, and the alarm is quite loud. The one touch access to weather channels is also a very nice feature. My only complaint with the weather alert function is that you can't set a SAME code, it will activate for any alert on the station that you select, which may get annoying during wide area severe weather events. It also will not display the type of watch/warning/advisory like weather radios and some scanners will.

It has been used in multiple vehicles with no problems. The base version does not come with the faceplate mounting hardware, but I simply bought a cheap mount designed for cell phones that works perfectly fine. The crossband repeater feature is easy to set up and use. I think there's a problem in my mic cord, I had to turn it backwards because sometimes I'd press the PTT and nothing would happen, but I believe that's a result of how I had my mic cord run. Since I switched it the other way I've had no problems.

Buttons are easy to push, back light is adjustable and more than adequate for viewing day or night. Very happy with mine, and considering getting a second one as a shack radio.

AB0O Rating: 5/5 Jan 14, 2018 07:45 Send this review to a friend
Excellent Radio!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
After 40 years of hamming, I finally decided to buy an actual mobile rig. Had always used handtalkies, linears, and speaker mikes. Boiled it down to the Kenwood TM-71A or the IC-2730A. At the ham store, I really liked the fully duplicated controls for each side's Rx/Tx. The programming was easy enough to master while sitting in the car for 30 minutes. The display is large and bright, plenty of audio. I decided to get the suction cup mount, which puts the control head right next to the shifter on my minivan...very easy access. The magnetic mount allows quick removal to store or take the head with me.
I had the ham store put PowerPoles on the power cable, so I was transmitting within 30 minutes out the door.
I also enjoy listening to air band, and this receiver has excellent sensitivity and I can hear all airports within 30 miles easily and obviously planes that are much further. The AM audio quality is outstanding...not just an afterthought.

I bought the deluxe version to get the mounting plate for cheaper, and bought the suction cup mount, so expect to pay around $100 more than the lowest advertised price for the straight 2730A, but the accessories and features are worth it. I could have easily just stuck it to the car dashboard with a strip of velcro and saved $100, but I usually buy radios for a long, long time, so decided to take the high road.

Easy for me to recommend this radio.

KF5IRG Rating: 5/5 Jan 12, 2018 06:49 Send this review to a friend
Cross Band Repeater  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Works Great and is really easy...

To Activate Cross-Band Mode
Before you activate cross-band, set the frequencies you will need. Frequencies can be set in
VFO or using Memory Channels, or also using VFO and a Memory Channel.
Note: Once this procedure has been completed, the cross-band feature will now appear in the
menu unless a full reset is performed.
1. Press and hold both MAIN keys, MONI, and then press power.
2. Press MENU.
3. Rotate a tuning knob and select EXMENU.
4. Press MW. Rotate a tuning knob and select OTHERS.
5. Press MW. Rotate a tuning knob and select RPT M.
6. Press MW. Rotate a tuning knob and select START.
7. Press MW. Rotate a tuning knob and select YES.
8. Press MW. The display will show both bands with rPt listed under the frequencies. The
cross-band feature is now activated and you may operate in cross-band mode

KI4WCA Rating: 5/5 Aug 26, 2017 23:18 Send this review to a friend
Excellent performance overall  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I bought this radio for base/mountain topping use. I have only used it out of the car in front of my house once so...
As a dual band base radio it is excellent. The front end is intermod resistant and very sensitive. It is a fabulous dual band analog radio. It does a very good job on airband as well as for trains. It has received very good reports for audio too. It is very easy to program and I can't wait to work some satellites with it.

I paid the ridiculous 49 dollars for the bracket to attach the front panel to the body but even accounting for the money spent for that this radio is worth it. It performs wonderfully even though a 300 watt NWS station is not far as are some very strong pagers in the 150mhz range. No images or overload at all.

The only changes I would like are 4 power settings 5, 10, 25, 50 vs 5, 15, 50 as delivered.
I would like a bigger internal speaker and 5 watts of audio too. Aside from these quibbles the radio is fantastic. I love it.

If you just want an analog FM dual bander...just get one!!!

SQ5D Rating: 5/5 Jul 16, 2017 01:58 Send this review to a friend
Supercool cheap radio.  Time owned: more than 12 months
Wonderful smal cheap radio. It's analog radio still if it is want you want its hard to find another more userfriendly. UX is great - everything you need on front panel. Search speed is good enough. Audio is exelent. Of course it comes with no mounting brackets whatsoever with no additional items yeasu or chines manufacturers accustomed us yet it's price what compansate it. If you want additional equipment you can buy it - if you dont need it its not mandatory to pay for it. I'm useing it on base so hardo to say how it will preserve car environment but for base porpoise its duralibity is just enough.

Disadvanteges - well I have version E (Europe) and I dont have cross band repeater out of the box which is strange as its not forbidden in my country. Still you can make moddification and problem is gone.
Another probelm is fan which is ridiculously loud but as with previous disadvantege you can fix it by yourself. I've changed my fan for japaneese super-silent fan and its not an issue anymore.

Conclusions - very cheap, userfriendly, good audio radio. So when you want just analog its easy choice for you.