Reviews Categories | Transceivers: VHF/UHF+ Amateur Base/Mobile (non hand-held) | Icom IC-2730a Help

Reviews Summary for Icom IC-2730a
Icom IC-2730a Reviews: 31 Average rating: 4.0/5 MSRP: $419.00
Description: VHF/UHF Transceiver

You can write your own review of the Icom IC-2730a.

DV2AWN Rating: 4/5 Jul 14, 2017 08:55 Send this review to a friend
good radio, modification required for cross band operation  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
i first wrote a review on this radio whilst i was trying to enable the cross band repeater function which i then gave only 2. i am now re-evaluating my review after having found out how to finally make the cross band repeater function work. it turned out that for non-u.s. models, there is a modification required, which is to removed a diode and a key press combination to enable cross band function. after doing this, my ic-2730a finally worked as a cross band repeater. the RX and TX is as can be expected of ICOM radios, which is to say good. build quality is also good. about the only gripes that i have is that you have to shell out extra money for mounting brackets. otherwise, i would recommend this radio with one caveat.... modification required! 73!

DV2AWN Rating: 2/5 Jul 12, 2017 06:50 Send this review to a friend
can't setup crossband repeater  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
the build quality looks solid. good thing i ordered this with mounting bracket. however, i can't seem to get the crossband function setup. it didn't help that the manual did not have any chapter on this. you have to get the separate crossband setup addendum on icom webpage. however even with that addendum, i still can't make the crossband function work. right now, i'm trying to search the internet on how can i do this. there is not much documentation on the net about this. what gives icom? dissapointing.

N1AUP Rating: 5/5 Aug 19, 2016 15:01 Send this review to a friend
Awesome dual bander.  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I bought the 2730 over the Kenwood, mainly because I liked the idea that I could plug the mike into the head, rather than running a separate cable back to the RF desk.

So far, I love the radio. It's like having two radios in one box, with two squelches, two tuning knobs, and two sets of buttons. I find the white display easy to see both in sunlight and darkness, and the features are easy to use. I didn't bother to manually program the unit. I bought a real cable for $25 off of Ebay, and used the Icom software. The public domain software does not yet talk to this unit.

Radio is far more sensitive than my 706, and it doesn't seem to be bothered by intermod or other kinds of interference.

VE7REN Rating: 5/5 May 28, 2016 14:59 Send this review to a friend
excellent  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
upgraded from a ft8800,to this beast.. whats not to like.. huge readout. backlighting in the buttons,and overall great build.. it was fairly easy to program,and the audio is fabulous.. ive had people notice the difference.i bought it new,with a free mobile bracket for the body..velco the faceplate to the body.. never a problem. you will have to make a 2-3 inch jumper for the control head,as it does not come with a shorty..

OZ1HMN Rating: 4/5 May 5, 2016 03:59 Send this review to a friend
Generally working well  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Don't want to repeat other already mentioned stuff, just my additions.

1) I have a number of times been forced to turn the unit off and on again to get RX Audio through. I can see in the display that there is RX activity, but no audio heard. Off/On cured it every time. But in my init???

2) I have see moist/damp inside the display if used in moist/damp weather.

3) I wished that RX audio would be present directly in the mic connector.

YELLOWLEMON Rating: 5/5 Apr 30, 2016 06:21 Send this review to a friend
Good radio, reasonable price  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This dual band mobile radio is relatively inexpensive and works very well. Even considering the mounting hardware it's still cheaper than the Kenwood.

The screen is fantastic and I find manual programming doesn't take long. Simultaneous V/V and U/U operation is really cool.

The free programming software from ICOM works as it should. I use "Ron's CSV editor" to create a list of local repeaters to import directly into the ICOM software, rather than typing into the ICOM software directly - this is because it's much easier to paste a whole stack of channels from EXCEL into Ron's editor than the ICOM software.

Other good points I noticed:
- Fast scanning
- Adequate built-in speaker (good enough for me)
- Solid build quality
- Lots of controls on the remote mic head

Bad points:
- No TNC/data port for APRS etc.
- Only 6 alphanumeric characters for memory names.

KE8CDH Rating: 5/5 Mar 23, 2016 11:28 Send this review to a friend
Great radio. I've got two of them!  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
This was my first radio when I got my tech ticket in Sept 2014. Menu system is very easy to use. It is a deep menu system but you only access two menu items when programing repeaters into the radio. Real easy to use. I decided to buy another for the house when I took my car down to Chicago. Wife was reading off repeater frequencies and I was programing them in just as fast as she was reading them down I94. Very easy to use. Performance is top notch. Fan is a bit loud but I've mounted the radio in the trunk and ran it up under the carpet and used the GPS style mount to mount the head on my dashboard. Most basic controls can be used by the microphone (channel section and keypad). Would I buy another for my other vehicle? YES I definitely would. Best value for a basic 2m/440 radio.

KD4EG Rating: 4/5 Feb 7, 2016 12:28 Send this review to a friend
Excellent Radio, Limited Manual, Disappointed in Icom  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I will have to concur with all the reviews reports form earlier users. The operation and performance of this radio is among the best. But Icom really losing a moral compass without including proper mounting hardware. The plastic interface between the radio and the control head is a $50.00 accessory. For performance I will rate as a 5. I feel kinda cheated when it comes to value. I would rate as a 2.

N3OVT Rating: 4/5 Dec 5, 2015 20:00 Send this review to a friend
Overall, I'm happy!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Love the display! Large and easy to view. The radio is basically split in two sections right down the middle and that helps with operating the radio. I don't object to Icom not including mounting options since there are so many ways to mount most of the new radios but if you are going to sell us basic accessories like mounts, at least price them reasonably. The prices they are asking for a piece of metal bent to accommodate the radio itself, as well as the other brackets, is RIDICULOUS! The internal speaker sounds horrible! Very tinny! Additionally... this particular radio pretty much requires remote mounting due to the excessive fan noise. I want the radio to run cool but there has to be a better way. This fan is LOUD! Not much fun to program manually so I bought to RT Systems software and it works beautifully. I think the 4 rating is appropriate since overall, the radio seems to be quite the bargain even with its issues.

PA1XL Rating: 5/5 Aug 17, 2015 07:28 Send this review to a friend
Outstanding  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
* Bought all the mounting options for maximum flexibility.

* Very sensitive, no intermod.

* Scanning options are very sophisticated, actually more sophisticated that many dedicated scanner-receivers!

* However: it is complicated. The massive waterfall of (menu) options may bother you. If you don't touch the rig for a month, you may have to start all over to get to know it.

* Don't even try to program the rig manually! I bought the RT Systems programmer, which is a masterpiece on itself. You can easily copy and paste channel settings from any spreadsheet, regardless of its layout! Well done!

* The on-board speaker is a joke. Don't even fire it up for the first thime without a 8 Ohm communications speaker attached to it!