Reviews Categories | Receivers: General Coverage | SDRplay RSP1 and RSP1A Help

Reviews Summary for SDRplay RSP1 and RSP1A
SDRplay RSP1 and RSP1A Reviews: 85 Average rating: 4.5/5 MSRP: $100
Description: The current production version, the RSP1A which launched in November 2017, is a 14- bit full featured SDR receiver covering 1kHz 2GHz with 10MHz visible bandwidth. The full datasheet can be found by going to https://www.sdrplay.com/rsp1a/
More info: Http://www.sdrplay.com

You can write your own review of the SDRplay RSP1 and RSP1A.

KE0OHO Rating: 5/5 Aug 5, 2018 21:30 Send this review to a friend
OutStanding  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
When used with a transceiver as a stand alone panadaptor or spectrum analyzer, it allows you to view the entire band, allowing you to see activity thats going on and can then go to, instead of scanning your memories or spinning the VFO knob in search of traffic. The performance of this unit is beyond compare. The software, SDRuno is no worse to learn than any good radio. Using a HP Stream PC for $150 including w10 you have $250 total investment. Greatly improving your awareness of when operators are on the air. The only challenge is interfacing it with your antenna system. The MFJ1708 does a good job of dropping and shorting the SDR antenna input to ground to protect the SDR from being connected to the output of you amplifier, BUT. Your automatic antenna tuner will freak out when it tries to tune. I put a coax switch in line with the SDR input and manually open the SDR to get the tuner on line with the Tx and then switch it back. The 1708 still receives the PTT signal to activate it and it also has a built in RF sensing circuit that also activates it. I have not tried this set up with the linear amp yet and dont know what will get into the SDR. I suppose a receive only dipole in the attic would help isolate the SDR. Careful testing while watching the SDR metering would be in order. And using a coax switch to remove the SDR while your in QSO should keep it from damage. Should.
When used as a receiver only this RSP1a is tops in performance. Probably equal to any high end SW receiver on the market.

N3HKN Rating: 4/5 Aug 2, 2018 11:40 Send this review to a friend
Very Good SDR Performance  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
First how I use the RSP1A. It is fed by an amplified loop antenna on my deck. This is to reduce local condo noise. The RSP1A is managed by HDSDR. HDSDR also manages my Yaesu FT-450D which is exclusively used for transmitting via a tuned attic dipole.

All reception is via the RSP1A/HDSDR equipment. It works very well. I have seen some impacts from very strong commercial stations during a rare band opening. Not harmful-noticeable.

I was going to buy a 7300 for the SDR receive performance. But, this system offers performance, in the critical receive area, that "possibly" rivals that of the 7300. Certainly my cables and software setup could be in one box but for $129 versus $1,000 I see no outstanding need for a 7300.

I also add to the mix the DXLabs PSK31 messaging (real digital QSOing) software through virtual software "cables" and all of the stuff starts in the morning and has no weird glitches "yet". One more Windows10 update and that could change.
N3HKN

GM0WEZ Rating: 5/5 Aug 1, 2018 19:24 Send this review to a friend
Excellent SDR  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This review is for the RSP1A.
I agree with N7BWB. This was probably the best 100 I have spent on radio kit.

The wide coverage 10kHz to 2Ghz gives you a lot of scope to do new (well, new to me) stuff - amateur satellites, WXsat images, low band working. Using the VB virtual audio cable you can feed the appropriate decoding software very easily.

It works pretty good on MF/LF, I am copying WSPR stations across Europe on 472kHz even in summer, lots of NAVTEX on 518kHz, it gets excellent copy on Region 1 LW broadcast stations, pretty good on MW broadcast too. The built in filters work well.

I use it with a PA0RDT active antenna for VLF to HF and a discone for VHF and up. This is really convenient - no antenna tuning, just a 2 way antenna switch.

Very impressed with what it will hear with this antenna set up. The box is tiny and makes for a tidy shack compared to a bank of different receivers.

I found set up extremely straightforward - the SDRplay website gave me everything I needed - on Windows at any rate. I am going to try and set it up on Linux which is apparently not nearly so straightforward.

One issue is that I find moving the box around sometimes causes it to crash. Might well be a cable issue rather than the device itself.
I see you can team it up with a Raspbery Pi 3B+ which I might try in the future for low power consumption unattended monitoring.

I did not like SDRuno to begin with - as people have said it is not intuitive. I read somewhere that this used to be a rather expensive commercial program but SDRplay bought it and made it available for their SDR receivers, so on the grounds that it must be good enough to sell I stuck with it and now I am pretty converted to it.

Pros: hugely convenient, covers a massive chunk of spectrum, works well (way better than cheap dongle) filters good,opens up many new horizons and stimulates the self-learning which is supposed to be the raison d'etre of the amateur service.

Cons: Looks cheap (plastic box), bit sensitive to being moved.

N7BWB Rating: 5/5 Jul 12, 2018 21:31 Send this review to a friend
RSP1A  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This is my second SDR, the first being an SDR-IQ. Very pleased with the RSP1A, had it up and running in no time. I'll pipe in on the software though, SDRuno is not the most intuitive or friendly package around. After fiddling with Uno for a couple days, I ended up liking SDR Console, a huge improvement. Feels much more "radio-like." I have this hooked up to a W6LVP broadband loop, and the combo works very well. It has no problem bringing in our local FM stations. This is the best $120 radio dollars I've spent, and I've spent a lot of radio dollars.

K4TK Rating: 4/5 Apr 4, 2018 11:45 Send this review to a friend
just got my RSP1A  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Just got an RSP1A from HRO the other day. I love it. I will say, hooking it up via my 9 Mhz IF output of my new Yaesu FT DX 3000 was a little bit more involved than I would have thought it would be. I used HDSDR (and OmniRig) for my display. Again, quite a few settings/ configuration if you elect to go the IF output method. But worth it.

It was even harder to figure out how to run my RSP1A (with the HDSDR software/app)....and my DX4WIN logging program AT THE SAME time. I went through TEN different Virtual Splitter programs before I found one that worded.....with the right configuration/settings. I spent days testing to get that all working.

But again, well worth it. I do see a bit of a delay in the audio coming from my Yaesu 3000 and the SDRPlay. I have to turn down one or the other...and just use one of them. no big deal.

I love seeing a signal on the spectrum display....clicking on it....boom, radio is tuned to it and there they are. Or working split DX operations....great way to find where they are when they say "listening up 5-10".

Glad I added this capability. Price was right too.

N9MXQ Rating: 5/5 Apr 3, 2018 15:09 Send this review to a friend
Neat little box.....  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Got this today from HRO.. Setup was dead nuts simple.. Fired up the recommended software SDRUno.. and yeek! Who designed this software? Took 3 minutes just to find the PLAY button amidst all the windows.. receive performance was lack luster..Could barely hear signals my Icom 756ProII had no problems with.

Fired up SDRConsole and pointed it at the RSP1A and it worked like a charm. Was able to tune in a signal in about 10 seconds.. Receive was much better than with the Uno software. Nice receiver for the price. It's rekindled my interest in utility listening.. Spent the whole afternoon just scrolling down the bands below 20 meters..

K5TED Rating: 5/5 Mar 4, 2018 20:12 Send this review to a friend
Fantastic  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I have the RSP1 and 1A. The bandpass filters on the 1A make it worth the extra few bucks if you plan to do any LF or MW DXing, but they are both essentially the same performance for most purposes.

No problems running either on WIndows 10, 8.1 or 7

SDR-Uno is good, but after trying SDR-Console, I tend to use the latter.

WE1X Rating: 4/5 Mar 4, 2018 19:17 Send this review to a friend
Have 2  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've have two RSP1 receivers that I use as panadaptors with my HF rigs. Works well with SDR-Radio Console.

By the way, drivers install easily with Windows 7.

WB5AGF Rating: 5/5 Feb 22, 2018 21:48 Send this review to a friend
The RSP1A - An Amazing Receiver In A Nondescript Plastic Box  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I live only a few miles from the local Ham Radio Outlet (HRO) store and while there a few weeks ago I was looking in one of the display cases when I saw cardboard containers full of little gray boxes. I looked on the front of the containers and there were signs saying that the gray boxes were SDR receivers - I looked a bit more closely.

I'd been aware for several years that there were some designs for SDR receivers (mostly USB 'dongle' things) that used chipsets originally intended for the European TV market but they didn't cover the HF frequencies initially - you needed to put a upconverter on the front end to cover the shortwave bands (where my interest is).

These little gray boxes in HRO's display case were labelled as covering from a few kHz to 2 GHz (almost the "from DC to blue light" that was a joking description of wideband frequency coverage when I was in the Air Force).

The prices were .... well compared to a modern HF transceiver (you can drive that old car a few more years can't you?) ... these little gray boxes were quite reasonable (if they worked as advertised).

On closer inspection of the labels I saw that there were three different receivers ... an RSP1, RSP1A and RSP2. The RSP1 and RSP1A are in plastic boxes (which I read later have some kind of conductive coating on the inside for RF shielding) while the RSP2 is in a little metal case. The RSP1 and RSP1A have a single RF connector (a female SMA) while the RSP2 has two SMA connectors and a little greenish connector with a couple of small screws (I later learned this was a Hi-Z input for balanced antennas in the HF spectra).

What grabbed my attention was that the RSP1A was shown as having a 14 bit D/A converter (I get a bit 'fuzzy' on how much dynamic range each bit gives you but I know that 'more is better'). Presumably this meant that the RSP1 and RSP2 have fewer bits in their D/A devices (that may not quite be the case I learned later).

The price for the RSP1A was low enough to fall within my 'I want it/get it' range and so a sales immediately ensued.

Having been working on the software learning curve for the 'SDRuno' software, that is provided free by the maker of the RSP1A Receiver, so far I am VERY impressed. I have had some difficulty finding out what everything does (and where some things are 'hidden') but it is a very impressive receiver.

I do think that this is one of those pieces of equipment (sounds almost funny to say when the actual hardware is a little gray, plastic, box) where a new owner would benefit a lot from having some one-on-one tutelage from someone who knows the software well.

I've already availed myself of the excellent tech support provided by SDRplay. For some inexplicable reason my installation of SDRuno software (on my Windows 7 Pro PC) 'woke-up' with a problem that caused some very peculiar symptoms ... After some remote trouble-shooting by an SDRplay tech support guy he told me to click a 'reset to factory defaults' button (two layers down in software) and that solved the problem.

(signed)

Paul, WB5AGF

WB0WQS Rating: 5/5 Feb 13, 2018 16:28 Send this review to a friend
Not a just toy, but very useful wide-band receiver .  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
After a steep learning curve and help, from youtube videos, I have reached the point where I can successfully navigate tuning the HF ham bands with SDRuno, tuning the FM broadcast band... and listening to FM low orbit ham satellites. Have to admit, that for 100 bucks, I thought the RSP1A was gonna be a toy for some listening amusement. It is much more then that, and I have several projects in mind for this versatile little receiver, which includes a cw skimmer from the home qth for dx and contests, and working the ham Satellites with Doppler control and full duplex operation.