Reviews Categories | Receivers: General Coverage | SDRplay RSP1 and RSP1A Help

Reviews Summary for SDRplay RSP1 and RSP1A
SDRplay RSP1 and RSP1A Reviews: 91 Average rating: 4.5/5 MSRP: $100
Description: The current production version, the RSP1A which launched in November 2017, is a 14- bit full featured SDR receiver covering 1kHz Ė 2GHz with 10MHz visible bandwidth. The full datasheet can be found by going to https://www.sdrplay.com/rsp1a/
More info: Http://www.sdrplay.com

You can write your own review of the SDRplay RSP1 and RSP1A.

ON5HB Rating: 5/5 Feb 19, 2019 16:29 Send this review to a friend
Excelent value for money.  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I have 4 of these boxes.
3 for my online websdr at http://www.heppen.be:8091 and 1 for testing purposes.
They are really good and on par with most expensive Ham-radio receivers.
If you need a good and stable receiver this tiny box is the one to buy.
Also the support and help of SDRplay is excelent.
Well done!

KD8CGH Rating: 5/5 Feb 18, 2019 11:52 Send this review to a friend
Great performance  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This SDR with a 14 bit ADC, switchable prefilters and a preamp provides great performance at a low cost. I plan to use mine for satellite work. Meanwhile I have downloaded its spectrum analyzer software and am using it on the workbench.
With a white noise generator I can check filters and with an RF bridge I have an inexpensive way to tune VHF and UHF antennas.

7Z1SJ Rating: 5/5 Jan 1, 2019 20:13 Send this review to a friend
Great   Time owned: more than 12 months
It's receiving window opener
Effective and easy to set up

EA5BZ Rating: 5/5 Jan 1, 2019 19:58 Send this review to a friend
Great for the money.  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Using RSP1A here.
For the money you can't get more.
I am using it like panadapter with my FTDX3000 and it is a great add-on for my HF TRX.

N8ULS Rating: 5/5 Dec 16, 2018 15:08 Send this review to a friend
Loving it!  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
My first foray into SDR was with the usual cheap TV dongles and was a real disappointment. Along came the SDRPlay RSP1A and I am still amazed at how much performance can be packed into one small box. I tried all the available software packages and settled on SDRuno as the best performing and easiest to use software companion. Being able to see activity on a whole band while monitoring a station is just game changing to me. Since I have the RSP1A my other receivers see little use. If you havenít figured it out by now - I love it!

MW1CFN Rating: 5/5 Dec 14, 2018 15:58 Send this review to a friend
I'm fussy - and I like it!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I take WSPR reception very seriously, and have a special interest in unusual high latitude propagation. I am often the first in the WSPR listening challenge and never out of the top 8 or so.

So I demand a lot out of this £89 box. I have to say, it seems to be delivering! What's that some say about a 'cheap plastic' enclosure? It's an enclosure, it's adequate and it works. How silly!

Software (SDRUno) is great. Very easy to understand without instruction. Just download Virtual Audio Cable for piping the audio from the SDR into WSJT-X or other decoding software, and off you go! If, after selecting virtual audio as the input, you can't see a signal on WSJT-X, then just press 'Stop' on SDRUno software and then 'Play' again. Signals then appear!

Excellent value for money, with what appears to be superb sensitivity. Update at a later stage.

KE0OHO Rating: 5/5 Aug 5, 2018 21:30 Send this review to a friend
OutStanding  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
When used with a transceiver as a stand alone panadaptor or spectrum analyzer, it allows you to view the entire band, allowing you to see activity thats going on and can then go to, instead of scanning your memories or spinning the VFO knob in search of traffic. The performance of this unit is beyond compare. The software, SDRuno is no worse to learn than any good radio. Using a HP Stream PC for $150 including w10 you have $250 total investment. Greatly improving your awareness of when operators are on the air. The only challenge is interfacing it with your antenna system. The MFJ1708 does a good job of dropping and shorting the SDR antenna input to ground to protect the SDR from being connected to the output of you amplifier, BUT. Your automatic antenna tuner will freak out when it tries to tune. I put a coax switch in line with the SDR input and manually open the SDR to get the tuner on line with the Tx and then switch it back. The 1708 still receives the PTT signal to activate it and it also has a built in RF sensing circuit that also activates it. I have not tried this set up with the linear amp yet and dont know what will get into the SDR. I suppose a receive only dipole in the attic would help isolate the SDR. Careful testing while watching the SDR metering would be in order. And using a coax switch to remove the SDR while your in QSO should keep it from damage. Should.
When used as a receiver only this RSP1a is tops in performance. Probably equal to any high end SW receiver on the market.

N3HKN Rating: 4/5 Aug 2, 2018 11:40 Send this review to a friend
Very Good SDR Performance  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
First how I use the RSP1A. It is fed by an amplified loop antenna on my deck. This is to reduce local condo noise. The RSP1A is managed by HDSDR. HDSDR also manages my Yaesu FT-450D which is exclusively used for transmitting via a tuned attic dipole.

All reception is via the RSP1A/HDSDR equipment. It works very well. I have seen some impacts from very strong commercial stations during a rare band opening. Not harmful-noticeable.

I was going to buy a 7300 for the SDR receive performance. But, this system offers performance, in the critical receive area, that "possibly" rivals that of the 7300. Certainly my cables and software setup could be in one box but for $129 versus $1,000 I see no outstanding need for a 7300.

I also add to the mix the DXLabs PSK31 messaging (real digital QSOing) software through virtual software "cables" and all of the stuff starts in the morning and has no weird glitches "yet". One more Windows10 update and that could change.
N3HKN

GM0WEZ Rating: 5/5 Aug 1, 2018 19:24 Send this review to a friend
Excellent SDR  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This review is for the RSP1A.
I agree with N7BWB. This was probably the best £100 I have spent on radio kit.

The wide coverage 10kHz to 2Ghz gives you a lot of scope to do new (well, new to me) stuff - amateur satellites, WXsat images, low band working. Using the VB virtual audio cable you can feed the appropriate decoding software very easily.

It works pretty good on MF/LF, I am copying WSPR stations across Europe on 472kHz even in summer, lots of NAVTEX on 518kHz, it gets excellent copy on Region 1 LW broadcast stations, pretty good on MW broadcast too. The built in filters work well.

I use it with a PA0RDT active antenna for VLF to HF and a discone for VHF and up. This is really convenient - no antenna tuning, just a 2 way antenna switch.

Very impressed with what it will hear with this antenna set up. The box is tiny and makes for a tidy shack compared to a bank of different receivers.

I found set up extremely straightforward - the SDRplay website gave me everything I needed - on Windows at any rate. I am going to try and set it up on Linux which is apparently not nearly so straightforward.

One issue is that I find moving the box around sometimes causes it to crash. Might well be a cable issue rather than the device itself.
I see you can team it up with a Raspbery Pi 3B+ which I might try in the future for low power consumption unattended monitoring.

I did not like SDRuno to begin with - as people have said it is not intuitive. I read somewhere that this used to be a rather expensive commercial program but SDRplay bought it and made it available for their SDR receivers, so on the grounds that it must be good enough to sell I stuck with it and now I am pretty converted to it.

Pros: hugely convenient, covers a massive chunk of spectrum, works well (way better than cheap dongle) filters good,opens up many new horizons and stimulates the self-learning which is supposed to be the raison d'etre of the amateur service.

Cons: Looks cheap (plastic box), bit sensitive to being moved.

N7BWB Rating: 5/5 Jul 12, 2018 21:31 Send this review to a friend
RSP1A  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This is my second SDR, the first being an SDR-IQ. Very pleased with the RSP1A, had it up and running in no time. I'll pipe in on the software though, SDRuno is not the most intuitive or friendly package around. After fiddling with Uno for a couple days, I ended up liking SDR Console, a huge improvement. Feels much more "radio-like." I have this hooked up to a W6LVP broadband loop, and the combo works very well. It has no problem bringing in our local FM stations. This is the best $120 radio dollars I've spent, and I've spent a lot of radio dollars.