Reviews Categories | Transceivers: HF Amateur HF+6M+VHF+UHF models - not QRP <5W | Kenwood TS-2000 Help

Reviews Summary for Kenwood TS-2000
Kenwood TS-2000 Reviews: 523 Average rating: 4.4/5 MSRP: $2300
Description: Kenwood HF radio
More info: http://www.kenwood.net/indexKenwood.cfm?do=ProductDetails&ProdID=5016&Group=5

You can write your own review of the Kenwood TS-2000.

KB5CEJ Rating: 4/5 Jun 4, 2019 22:20 Send this review to a friend
A GOOD ALL PURPOSE RIG  Time owned: more than 12 months
I’ve owned 2 of these thus far. One, purchased new in 2008 (sold in 2010 when I moved), and the other, purchased from original owner in 2017 (2011 model). This one is currently still in the shack. It has dodged the “SELL” bullet several times now, most recently after purchasing a Yaesu FT-991A. I compared the 2K against my 991A in the review of it (991), so I’ll return the favor here.

First things first. You’ll hear / read a LOT of stuff about the 2K, much of it being somewhat negative. The two biggest complaints are:

1. Problems obtaining replacement parts (finals, filters, etc.) and,
2. It seems “deaf” on HF compared to current rigs.

There is some credence to the parts issues, especially finals, in 2008 and earlier radios. It’s easy to figure out which ones are which by Googling serial numbers. After 2008 parts are-a-plenty and these are good parts- not those suspect Chinese chips on Ebay. As far as being “deaf”, you’re comparing technology from 2000 to now (19 years) and I’d say “sure” it’s not cutting edge. The 991A’s receiver is better than the 2K sitting next to it using side-by-side comparisons. The rest of the review:

As I mentioned, the 991A receiver seems “hotter” than the 2K by a slight margin, however, if I’m planning on doing any prolonged listening I prefer the 2K, by a BIG margin. The 991A exhausts my ears fairly quickly (even with external speaker) while the Kenwood is a pleasure (no internal menu adjustments) with its external speaker (same). As a shack-in-the-box goes this rig will do pretty much whatever you want it to. I like being able to have 2m or 440 on the Sub-receiver while using HF (which I can’t do with the 991A). I just read the review below this about the INRAD roofing filter and I think I'll see if it's something I want to add to my TS-2000.

The Kenwood has more knobs / buttons than most new rigs, but even doing something in the menu system is much easier than the Yaesu due to the excellent owner’s manual. Kenwood wrote an easy-to-read and easy-to-find-what-U-want guide. (991A?nope)

Otherwise, I always get nice comments about the transmit audio quality, when electrical noise occurs I prefer the 2K NB over the one on 991A, and I’m not sure if it’s the bad press relating to early model issues or not, but you can usually p/u a 2010 or newer TS-2000s for a very good price, which makes it a good deal for someone who wants to do-it-all with one rig and you might consider saving some $$$ vs. a new Yaesu shack-in-the-box.

KN4G Rating: 5/5 Apr 13, 2019 15:42 Send this review to a friend
Great Rig with IRAD Roofing Filter  Time owned: more than 12 months
Picked up on fleaBay 2008 build last year at a good price. Installed a INRAD roofing filter and updated LCD lamps to LED's. Works great a real Swiss Army knife of ham rigs for the price. Hard to believe Kenwood just discontinued this radio after 20 years, what a run! Good receiver clean TX audio and one feature I love that all the new $3K++ rigs are omitting is the illuminated keys!!! Pick one up with a serial# starting with a Alpha numeric, updated PA finals that are still available. 73

VE6KMD Rating: 5/5 Apr 8, 2019 01:49 Send this review to a friend
Good all around radio  Time owned: more than 12 months
This radio has filled the bill in every one of my needs. I would not claim it to be the best receiver but I knew that before I purchased it. I have not been disappointed in my use of this radio. Puts out full power as advertised. Really like the ability to tune and listen to HF while waiting my turn on VHF nets as well as the other way around. I have used this radio daily for over 10 years and it has met the need that I wanted it to quite well. Truely a shack in a box. I am NOT a contester and the radio is not suitable for such in my opinion. I got this rig for versatility and functionality . . .and it did it!

WA6EJO Rating: 5/5 Jan 23, 2019 15:02 Send this review to a friend
Love it - Just bought another  Time owned: more than 12 months
Had a TS-2000X since 2012 until I lost it all in the 2017 California fire. Always performed flawlessly. Loved it and used all the bands 160m through 1.2 GHz. 1296 MHz SSB is a must for me. Just ordered one of the last ones. The only alternative is a $1K more IC-9100 and it doesn’t have a spectrum ‘scope, 220, or 902 either.

KA2LIM Rating: 2/5 Jan 18, 2019 15:19 Send this review to a friend
Glad I got rid of it.  Time owned: more than 12 months
DEAF... could not hear. Used it at home and tried it mobil for VHF and UHF - Still DEAF. Use a Yaesu FT-847, with same antennas in both places, can hear a mosquito fart. Glad to see the TS-2000 go.

KB6HRT Rating: 5/5 Jan 18, 2019 03:21 Send this review to a friend
Glad I Have one!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Have 4 HF radios in service, 3 of them I need to use headphones when conditions are not there best, but the new TS2000s is different can use it under all conditions for HF most all the time, All 4 have some form of noise reduction but can use the TS2000s with out any and just use the preamp an RFgain and get good results whether I am using my hearing aids or not using the Yaesu SP8 external speaker that is common to my TS990s and the TS2000s am old and my hearing is not what it use to be. The radio is used daily for Rag Chewing most morning on 75m, glad I brough the TS2000s on close out in Dec of last year, this radio is keeping me in the game!..................kb6hrt

WB9MSM Rating: 5/5 Sep 1, 2018 19:25 Send this review to a friend
Great All Around Rig!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I now own two of these great all around rigs! I bought my first one back in 2002 and it is still working quite well. Currently being used only on 2 meters. Purchased a second one just a few days ago from a ham friend. It works very well. I am using it on 40 meter CW. I feel the receive and transmit are both very good. I like the receive of my TS-590S better but the 2000 is certainly quite respectable. Don't hesitate to pick up one of these rigs if you can. You won't regret it!

VE7REN Rating: 3/5 Nov 26, 2017 17:07 Send this review to a friend
average..  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
2016 model .

I just acquired in new condition. ive always wanted to try the ts2000,but have opted for other radios over the years. finally acquired one,and I can say,it is a nice radio feature wise,but...... the receiver is lacking.. big time. I cant find the sweet spot like I can with my 7300,7410,756 pro3, and yes,my 718 sounds better in receive. no lie. I'm happy with all other aspects of the 2000,but the receiver just isn't pleasant like other radios.. I kinda knew this going in,cause I have some friends who own ts2000s,and I always notice the noisy receiver when I'm visiting them..verdict... if your looking for a overall flexable radio to do everything. get this one. if you want a radio to work some dx,and daily rag chews along with being enjoyable to listen to for long periods.. look elsewhere..would I buy again....hmmm. only if the price was right.overall still not a bad radio,but leaves me wanting more from the reciever

N8MJS Rating: 2/5 Oct 1, 2017 14:06 Send this review to a friend
HF power out failed.   Time owned: more than 12 months
I purchased new from Gigiparts in December of 2013. The radio has been a decent performer up until this past weekend. Out of nowhere my transceiver developed an issue with no power out on any HF band. I feel for the money you pay when buying this transceiver new you should get much more than 3.5 years out of it before something fails. I am not a big HF Enthusiast but I do go there from time to time. I don't do any conesting or digital modes on HF. Only voice. I am very disappointed in the quality of my Kenwood ts-2000. I have since sent my ts-2000 to a repair facility.
I will await the outcome. I have heard some of the early model ts-2000's have had many issues but I would think by 2013 those would have been corrected with better quality control checking at the factory.
I have never had any Icom or Yaesu equipment so I cannot comment on them. But I will forever have a doubt in my mind about buying Kenwood.

N5IVZ Rating: 5/5 Sep 28, 2017 08:56 Send this review to a friend
A Pleasant Surprise!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
At first, all the buttons are overwhelming! Once you work with this rig, the intimidation fades out.

It is a good rig built on good old Kenwood technology. You cannot go wrong with KENWOOD'S dependable quality,