Reviews Categories | Transceivers: HF Amateur HF+6M+VHF+UHF models - not QRP <5W | Kenwood TS-2000 Help

Reviews Summary for Kenwood TS-2000
Kenwood TS-2000 Reviews: 520 Average rating: 4.4/5 MSRP: $2300
Description: Kenwood HF radio
More info: http://www.kenwood.net/indexKenwood.cfm?do=ProductDetails&ProdID=5016&Group=5

You can write your own review of the Kenwood TS-2000.

WA6EJO Rating: 5/5 Jan 23, 2019 15:02 Send this review to a friend
Love it - Just bought another  Time owned: more than 12 months
Had a TS-2000X since 2012 until I lost it all in the 2017 California fire. Always performed flawlessly. Loved it and used all the bands 160m through 1.2 GHz. 1296 MHz SSB is a must for me. Just ordered one of the last ones. The only alternative is a $1K more IC-9100 and it doesn’t have a spectrum ‘scope, 220, or 902 either.

KA2LIM Rating: 2/5 Jan 18, 2019 15:19 Send this review to a friend
Glad I got rid of it.  Time owned: more than 12 months
DEAF... could not hear. Used it at home and tried it mobil for VHF and UHF - Still DEAF. Use a Yaesu FT-847, with same antennas in both places, can hear a mosquito fart. Glad to see the TS-2000 go.

KB6HRT Rating: 5/5 Jan 18, 2019 03:21 Send this review to a friend
Glad I Have one!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Have 4 HF radios in service, 3 of them I need to use headphones when conditions are not there best, but the new TS2000s is different can use it under all conditions for HF most all the time, All 4 have some form of noise reduction but can use the TS2000s with out any and just use the preamp an RFgain and get good results whether I am using my hearing aids or not using the Yaesu SP8 external speaker that is common to my TS990s and the TS2000s am old and my hearing is not what it use to be. The radio is used daily for Rag Chewing most morning on 75m, glad I brough the TS2000s on close out in Dec of last year, this radio is keeping me in the game!..................kb6hrt

WB9MSM Rating: 5/5 Sep 1, 2018 19:25 Send this review to a friend
Great All Around Rig!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I now own two of these great all around rigs! I bought my first one back in 2002 and it is still working quite well. Currently being used only on 2 meters. Purchased a second one just a few days ago from a ham friend. It works very well. I am using it on 40 meter CW. I feel the receive and transmit are both very good. I like the receive of my TS-590S better but the 2000 is certainly quite respectable. Don't hesitate to pick up one of these rigs if you can. You won't regret it!

VE7REN Rating: 3/5 Nov 26, 2017 17:07 Send this review to a friend
average..  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
2016 model .

I just acquired in new condition. ive always wanted to try the ts2000,but have opted for other radios over the years. finally acquired one,and I can say,it is a nice radio feature wise,but...... the receiver is lacking.. big time. I cant find the sweet spot like I can with my 7300,7410,756 pro3, and yes,my 718 sounds better in receive. no lie. I'm happy with all other aspects of the 2000,but the receiver just isn't pleasant like other radios.. I kinda knew this going in,cause I have some friends who own ts2000s,and I always notice the noisy receiver when I'm visiting them..verdict... if your looking for a overall flexable radio to do everything. get this one. if you want a radio to work some dx,and daily rag chews along with being enjoyable to listen to for long periods.. look elsewhere..would I buy again....hmmm. only if the price was right.overall still not a bad radio,but leaves me wanting more from the reciever

N8MJS Rating: 2/5 Oct 1, 2017 14:06 Send this review to a friend
HF power out failed.   Time owned: more than 12 months
I purchased new from Gigiparts in December of 2013. The radio has been a decent performer up until this past weekend. Out of nowhere my transceiver developed an issue with no power out on any HF band. I feel for the money you pay when buying this transceiver new you should get much more than 3.5 years out of it before something fails. I am not a big HF Enthusiast but I do go there from time to time. I don't do any conesting or digital modes on HF. Only voice. I am very disappointed in the quality of my Kenwood ts-2000. I have since sent my ts-2000 to a repair facility.
I will await the outcome. I have heard some of the early model ts-2000's have had many issues but I would think by 2013 those would have been corrected with better quality control checking at the factory.
I have never had any Icom or Yaesu equipment so I cannot comment on them. But I will forever have a doubt in my mind about buying Kenwood.

N5IVZ Rating: 5/5 Sep 28, 2017 08:56 Send this review to a friend
A Pleasant Surprise!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
At first, all the buttons are overwhelming! Once you work with this rig, the intimidation fades out.

It is a good rig built on good old Kenwood technology. You cannot go wrong with KENWOOD'S dependable quality,

LAMBERTINOS Rating: 5/5 Aug 30, 2017 18:15 Send this review to a friend
Excellent radio full equiped  Time owned: more than 12 months
Great radio. Do a lot of things with it. Need more filter on VHF. Got some interference. Replace the light by green leds. Much better contrast. Really like the cross band UHF to HF!

KC1SA Rating: 4/5 Aug 18, 2017 09:13 Send this review to a friend
Don't overlook the value of the TS-2000  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've had my TS-2000 for over three years now and has worked nearly perfectly. Initially the S-Meter was way off, the factory suggested I do a factory reset and to leave the pre-amp on. Doing those two things make the S-meter believable (but your ears are the best judge). PSK, RTTY, JT, CW, SSB and VHF/UHF all work flawlessly. I did add the Inrad filter to improve preformance, and that made the radio even better in crowded band conditions. There is no USB port on the rig, and that may be a good thing as OS's progress. USB2 and 3 won't be here forever, and it 20 years you may not be able to connect those USB radios to a computer... maybe. I like the multiple antenna connections, dual HF antenna connections with build in antenna tuner. I have experience with the Yaesu 991A and the TS-2000 is easier to use and has equivalent HF performance (in my opinion) for the same money. The rig has been in production for more than 10 years so all the production bugs are worked out. It's a solid performer if you are looking for one radio to do it all and won't break the bank.

ON4IQ Rating: 4/5 Aug 4, 2017 01:32 Send this review to a friend
Excellent value for the money  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
A lot has been said about the TS-2000, it has had issues (filters) and there have been complaints about sensitivity. I have now my 3th TS2000 (changed a couple of times over the last 20y to shift in interest); But now using it on 432MHZ.
As is the sensitivity is average inspite of a front-end that theoretically should be excellent. NF of the FET can be below 2dB. Got a lot of feedback from hams that it is in reality 5-6dB hence my search for a solution.
Proved to be easy, inject your RX signal straight into the RX board.
The antenna jack to RX board circuit is the reason of the low sensitivity, once to do the work around here the NF goes down below 2dB making the ts2000 a good deal (2nd hand they go below 1000euro or $ nowadays)
Johan