Reviews Categories | Antenna Analyzers | Comet CAA-500 Mark II Help

Reviews Summary for Comet CAA-500 Mark II
Comet CAA-500 Mark II Reviews: 25 Average rating: 4.7/5 MSRP: $449.00
Description: The Comet CAA-500 Mark II antenna analyzer is a professional class instrument for measuring SWR, resonance and impedance. It features a highly sensitive, high precision Yokogawa meter for measurement accuracy in seven ranges covering 1.8 to 500 MHz. Impedance is 12.5 to 300 Ohms. VSWR 1:1 to infinity. Digital readout accurate to 1 kHz.

You can write your own review of the Comet CAA-500 Mark II.

KA6GEM Rating: 5/5 Dec 21, 2018 20:35 Send this review to a friend
Excellent Antenna Analyzer  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have owned the Comet CAA-500 Mark II for about two months and like it very much. I have owned the RigExpert Model AA230 and the MFJ model 269 but find the Comet Antenna Analyzer the easiest to use. It is the best in my experience. The frequency range of 1.8 to 500 MHz leaves nothing to be desired. The color graphics and cross-needle meter display work nicely together. It feels very professional.
I purchased the black carrying case and the analyzer is “upside down” as someone remarked but its position is more far more natural for reading than the reverse. The carrying case also eliminates any worry about the battery plate screws scratching a delicate surface. And the instrument also lays flat. The analyzer with the carrying case fit snugly in a Pelican Model 1150 case. The Comet CAA-500 Mark II has both a SO239 connector for HF/VHF (on the left) and an N-type (on the right) for reading at or above 300 MHz but one should be very careful that SO239 adapters are never placed on the N-type: doing so will split the center pin of the N-type connector.

WD0BCT Rating: 5/5 Nov 15, 2018 23:39 Send this review to a friend
Great meter  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've had this meter over two years now. When looking for an antenna analyzer I decided it was between the Rig and the Comet. At the time of my purchase things were still rocky in the Ukraine and I had difficulty getting parts for another piece of equipment made in the Ukraine. So I settled for the Comet CAA-500 Mark II and have been very happy with it. I think the Rig is a comparable unit but now that I'm fully familiar with the Comet I would recommend to anyone. It does have a quirky freq control knob but I have gotten used to it. Another quirk is when changing the batteries you will get quirky response until you put the battery cover back on the unit. That note was buried in the manual.

W7MCK Rating: 5/5 Jul 31, 2018 19:24 Send this review to a friend
Best Of Both Worlds  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I looked and used the RigExpert analyzers and owned an MFJ one.
The 266B MFJ I owned was not reliable on the readings, touchy and felt cheap.
The RigExpert was nice with a lot of features but I wanted a graph combined with a real analog meter in one unit.
This was it and so far has been flawless.

WO4V Rating: 5/5 Jun 14, 2018 15:16 Send this review to a friend
Very nice!  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I have owned 3 or 4 mfj antenna analyzers, various swr meters, noise bridges, etc. over my time as a ham and once worked as a installer of antennas and radio equipment in police and sheriff department vehicles and public service agency buildings. I sure wish I had owned one of these Comet analyzers back then! Without spending big bucks for high-end equipment, this little meter would have done the job nicely.

As the gentleman below pointed out, it does not come with NIST traceable calibration (I guess you could spend the money to have this done, if you really thought it was necessary). It was designed for fairly rough service conditions, outdoor use, up on towers, in vehicles, etc., and the resolution of the controls is more than adequate for this use. If you really are concerned with it scratching your dining room table or some such situation, get the optional soft case! If you really need a bench instrument, there are other, not necessarily better, choices. For normal antenna installation situations, you would be hard pressed to find a more useful instrument than this little gem!

I have used it to identify the impedance of unknown coax. Other measurements are possible with this instrument if you need it. Other advantages are the ability to charge rechargeable batteries inside the unit, or you have the option to use Alkaline AA cells in a pinch. You can switch off the charging option internally, if you are using non rechargeable batteries. Or, it can be used on a power supply without batteries. If you use pl259's or BNC connectors on your UHF radios, you will need adapters, as it has an "N" connector for above 300MHZ (SO239 connector for below 300MHZ). It also has a lanyard attachment post. If you are up on a tower, I would recommend using it!

For the money, you would be challenged to find a more useful meter. If you need vector analysis, etc., look elsewhere. For regular antenna installations, these are hard to beat! Such an improvement over the "kits" you get from a certain Mississippi outfit for just a few dollars more!

A very well-made piece of gear.

N2IPH Rating: 4/5 Jun 8, 2018 20:17 Send this review to a friend
Buy it  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Only had it a few weeks, but the first few things I see wrong are cosmetic.
1. Manual says use the meter laying down as that is how it is calibrated, BUT THE BOTTOM OF THE CASE HAS TWO SCREWS FOR THE BATTERY COVER STICKING OUT THAT WILL DESTROY ANYTHING THEY COME IN CONTACT WITH. So get yourself some small rubber stick-on feet before you set this thing down or your dining room table or anyplace else you don't want getting scratched up.

2. there is no 'drag' on the frequency tuning knob, which makes it difficult to adjust to your desired frequency. It turns nice and smooth yes, but it's too coarse and makes precise frequency setting difficult.

Wanted features:
a. Add a USB port and offer some simple companion software to connect to a PC -or- better yet a BT link to a smartphone or desktop app.

b. Is this thing calibrated? If yes most instruments that have been calibrated or checked for calibration have a calibration sticker, this has only a QC sticker which is not the same thing.

AH6FC Rating: 5/5 Feb 17, 2017 14:18 Send this review to a friend
I waited too long  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Some how....too cheap I guess, I only now, after 40 years as a ham, bought an antenna analyzer. Really don't know what I was thinking. Out there fussing with folding back dipoles, trial and error of gamma matches, etc. Just don't get it.

I'm sure there are imperfections with this device, but it sure works for me. Turn it on, look for the swr, etc...done.

Don't wait, buy it. I am sure others are fine too...in any case, get an analyzer.

W2TXB Rating: 5/5 Sep 26, 2016 16:20 Send this review to a friend
So far, so good.  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Having considered the purchase of an analyzer for more than a year and hearing great things about this brand and model, I decided to buy one at the Elmira Hamfest last weekend. As soon as I arrived home, I read the manual (many typos in printed manual, but PDF version is OK) and turned it one. While I still use a Bird wattmeter to test antennas, this device will make antenna tuning a lot quicker and easier.

I am impressed. :)

VK5CQ Rating: 4/5 Sep 19, 2016 03:47 Send this review to a friend
Cf QST Sep '16 Lab Test  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
We bought, then Sep.'16 QST arrived, w/ hints of issues above a given freq. 'might have waited for price-drop or got another model.

Issue: Antennas w/ known excellent 70cm SWR curves (apparently) changed to have awful SWR curve, due to
loss of contact with centre lead of unit's N type (Female)
connector (4-piece "fingers" found to have spread away
from N type to (antenna's lead-in connector type) adapter.

Comet's choice of panel-mount N type Female conn'r
(on top of unit) could have been better, IMO.

We had trouble changing 70cm's sweep bandwidth, ie,
after successfully changing 2m's to + / - 2 MHz fr 146 MHz.

Still, when the (reported) measurement inaccuracies (above
a given freq.) are fixed (eg, in Mark III), this will be a useful
tool for our Antenna Lab kit

Use it - with an Ohmeter (or continuity checker) - to test antennas (incl antenna + transmission line systems).

Select optimal length(s) for adjustable & telescopic antennas
eg, for portable & mobile VHF (&, to some degree UHF) gear.

Photograph (auto or manual) SWR-by-Freq. Graphs, for
inclusion in station or repeater site Antenna Perf. records;
compare orig. to, eg, post-storm or -earthquake, to find
damage to Antenna systems.

To some extent, make more informed guesses about
the freq. / band of an unknown Antenna system.

Only the absolute value of the systems Reactance (Z) is given.

Sorry, but Remarks text box won't scroll in an iOS device (running iOS 10.0.1). Couldn't edit after previewing. :-(

I gather that such Graphs would be most reliably if

N4DWS Rating: 4/5 Sep 15, 2016 04:21 Send this review to a friend
Good -- One Missing Feature  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This is a good instrument. It is solid both physically and electronically (outside powerful fields as explained elsewhere). The one feature it lacks is a USB connection to a PC. If the data could be moved off to a computer for storage and further processing, this would be truly a 5+.

WY0WDR Rating: 5/5 Sep 13, 2016 18:11 Send this review to a friend
Easy to use, very accurate  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I bought this analyzer to supplement my Bird 43. It's very easy to use, fast, and accurate. Accuracy, as measured against my Bird, is spot on. My only gripe is the nylon case- I wish it were a bit better padded, and a little larger.