Reviews Categories | Antenna Analyzers | RigExpert AA-230 ZOOM Help

Reviews Summary for RigExpert AA-230 ZOOM
RigExpert AA-230 ZOOM Reviews: 14 Average rating: 5.0/5 MSRP: $550
Description: The analyzer is designed for measuring SWR (standing wave ratio), return loss, cable loss, as well as other parameters of cable and antenna systems in the range of 100 kHz to 230 MHz. A built-in ZOOM capability makes graphical measurements especially effective. An integrated Time Domain Reflectometer mode can be used to locate a fault within the feedline system.
More info: http://www.rigexpert.com/index?s=aa230zoom

You can write your own review of the RigExpert AA-230 ZOOM.

W7UV Rating: 5/5 Aug 16, 2018 16:19 Send this review to a friend
Excellent Analyzer Amazing Customer Service  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have owned many antenna analyzers, both professional and Hobby. Some of these are MFJ 259, Autek VA1, Array Solutions Power AIM 120. But I am REALLY impressed with the AA230 Zoom. It covers all ham bands up to 1.25 meters (222 Mhz). It has a nice form factor fitting easily in your hand. It comes with a nice form fitted leather case with a clear plastic cover to allow you to operate the unit in the rain if necessary and also keeping the unit clean and dust free during fair weather. The unit has an N connector, which is really a plus for me, as my standard terminations (Open Short and 50 ohms) are N connectors which makes for easy calibration. While I'm sure that the unit is more than adequate in accuracy without calibration (a five minute procedure from the main menu), I prefer to perform an O-S-T calibration (Open Short Termination) so I start out calibrated.

The unit is very intuitive, and comes with a USB cable to connect your analyzer to a laptop for more detail.

The unit offers standard SWR measurements, Multiple SWR measurments, Smith Chart and RX measurements. I've used professional units not having as many features as this analyzer does.

My only complaint is the use of AAA batteries, which I hate :-) In order to keep the form factor of the unit. The battery life is excellent, and the unit turns itself off if you forget to shut it off.

I had some questions about my unit, and was promptly answered by Michael Aretsky in California. They provide service for their units from the PNC Engineering office in California. It's good to know that they are available should any problems arise.

Personally I think every Ham should own an antenna analyzer. They give you a great education on how various factors (Height, surrounding objects, and length of elements affect antenna performance, it also allows you to have a truly resonant antenna. This unit does all this and more. I havent even touched on the cable length, velocity factor calculation and cable loss/fault functions of this unit.

For the price it's a bargain, I purchased mine through Ham Radio Outlet, but they are available at most of the larger Ham stores.

Highly Recommended!

AA7LX Rating: 5/5 Aug 16, 2018 05:48 Send this review to a friend
RigExpert AA-230ZOOM  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Received from DX Engineering. Excellent Antenna Analyzer ! Perfect if You need 1.8 MHz to 230 MHz. Easy to operate with medium size and extra features included. If, You have owned an RigExpert Analyzer already, You will fall in Love with this Model. My AA-230 will be used as a back-up to the AA-600 I own however, the AA-230 will now definably be the mainstay of my Antenna design work! You can always update the Software and Firmware from the RigExpert website. RigExpert Analyzers are the best and outclass all others on the Market. I used MFJ's for 23 years-- RigExpert Antenna Analyzers make Your Antenna design/install/repair expertly done. Buy the highest Frequency You will work with. But-- Buy RigExpert AA-230ZOOM; You will not be disappointed. '73, George

WB8VLC Rating: 5/5 Apr 13, 2018 08:04 Send this review to a friend
big leap above my old mfj  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Two weeks ago I brought my aging MFJ259 in to work to measure some antennas on our companies AS350 HELICOPTER along with a base station antenna to contact the same helicopter.

I was pretty much laughed at about the garage shop appearance of the MFJ and then when another co-worker/new ham showed up with his own 230-ZOOM the next day I decided to retire the flaky MFJ and move up to a better product.

Moral of the story is don't show off and brag to co-workers about your so-called cool MFJ product because some young kid will come along with another better product.

As a result I bought my own 230 zoom, not needing to load in a ton of batteries like the mfj required along with the zooms size and advanced features was certainly worth it.

Best of all was that HRO recently lowered the price on RIG EXPERT products.

W0TDH Rating: 5/5 Aug 27, 2017 06:33 Send this review to a friend
Works very well  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Received AA-230 a few days ago. Two day delivery from DX Engineering. There has been a price reduction... :)) I have had an MFJ analyzer many years ago, this is much better. Right out of the box it confirmed my Double extended Zepp on 75Mtrs was pretty close. Even the 4 element Bobtail Curtain on 40 Mtrs, my Tri-Bander and 2Mtr vertical are right in the Ball Park.
Just put up a 6 element Six Mtr Bobtail yesterday. Still testing, but showing good promise. The AA-230 is taking the guess work out building antennas. It has several other jobs in-store for it, including tweaking a hmbrw 4 element Six Mtr beam. Very happy with the AA-230. Only negative would be the flickering on "All". Still getting used to the software. Screen captures are easy.
My friend W4OP has had one of the more expensive models for several years...and very happy with it.
73, Tom W0TDH

VE3KKQ Rating: 5/5 Jun 17, 2017 10:34 Send this review to a friend
Excellent  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Why buy anything else?
Does a great job and there is to be an Android app soon.
I can see only one problem with it...once you have all your antennas sorted out the way you want them...what do you do with it?
I guess you could donate it to the local club or sell it like the guy I got it from.

KN6SU Rating: 5/5 May 26, 2017 00:24 Send this review to a friend
Perfect  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
With this device you can analyze and tune your HF-VHF antennas far more easily and quickly than you could with non-graphic analyzers like the MFJ and Comet. It's not cheap. but the Comet costs about as much. And if you don't mind spending a great deal more time, you can get the job done with the MFJ-259 for about half the cost. Bu if you have to check antennas a lot and want to make quick work of it, the AA230 Zoom is about perfect. And the zoom function is extremely useful.

AA1K Rating: 5/5 Oct 22, 2016 06:42 Send this review to a friend
Excellent instrument  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I purchased this in December 2015 and had initial setup problems but got a quick response from the company -- on a weekend -- and resolved the issue (needed firmware update). I have used an MFJ-269 for years but the hand-size AA-230 Zoom is so much more convenient for taking up the tower and it is easy to read the display even in bright sunlight. It fits in a large shirt pocket or small tool bag. My only suggestion would be to have a case or hook to attach a lanyard so there's no risk of dropping while up a tower.

KM5YV Rating: 5/5 Oct 22, 2016 02:03 Send this review to a friend
Super tool!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I purchased the AA-230 to replace a MFJ-259 which I have used for many years. The AA-230 has worked flawlessly.It provides all the information needed in building antenna and working with coax. A well built unit with very good features. I did upgrade to the latest firmware and I do recommend to do that (it free to update).
Super Instrument!

W3UT Rating: 5/5 Jun 13, 2016 10:22 Send this review to a friend
Quality Instrument  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Recently purchased to replace an MFJ-259C. This small handheld analyzer is amazing, and works exceptionally. The analyzer is rock stable with an attractive color display. Uses 4 AAA Nimh rechargeable or regular batteries vs 10 for the MFJ. Light years ahead of the MFJ. A bit pricey, but one of the best purchases I have made.

G4AON Rating: 5/5 May 18, 2016 07:13 Send this review to a friend
Easy to use, works well  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I had concerns about being able to view the colour screen in sunlight, having been assured by a user that it wasn't a problem, I replaced my MFJ-259B with one.

Another Rigexpert review complained about the N socket centre connector and battery cover. I have no such issues with my AA-230.

There wasn't a CD of software supplied in the box, however it's a free download from their site. The upgrade tool and Windows software work well, although tying the analyser to a PC seems a bit pointless to me, it's an antenna measuring tool and is easy to use "stand alone" either outdoors or in the shack.

While the illustrations show an orange colour scheme, in bright light I find the blue scheme seems easier to see.

Battery life is excellent, setting a frequency and span only takes a moment and you can view 5 bands at once.

I've yet to use the SWR2Air tone transmission in anger, but it might be handy for remote antenna matching. You select the SWR meter display and select a frequency to listen on (eg 145.4). You listen to the tone on a hand held, while adjusting the antenna/matching. The tone transmission is independent of the frequency you are using to test the antenna. The better the SWR the higher the pitch and more rapid the pulsing.

All the measurements and checks I've done seem easy and accurate.