Reviews Categories | Antenna Analyzers | RigExpert AA-230 ZOOM Help

Reviews Summary for RigExpert AA-230 ZOOM
RigExpert AA-230 ZOOM Reviews: 19 Average rating: 5.0/5 MSRP: $550
Description: The analyzer is designed for measuring SWR (standing wave ratio), return loss, cable loss, as well as other parameters of cable and antenna systems in the range of 100 kHz to 230 MHz. A built-in ZOOM capability makes graphical measurements especially effective. An integrated Time Domain Reflectometer mode can be used to locate a fault within the feedline system.
More info: http://www.rigexpert.com/index?s=aa230zoom

You can write your own review of the RigExpert AA-230 ZOOM.

N4YX Rating: 5/5 May 19, 2019 12:58 Send this review to a friend
Oh Wow; Super Nice!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I've owned the AA170 & now the AA230Zoom with Bluetooth. Also have the MFJ 269. Having Color Display along with the ability to Zoom in & out of the examined spectrum plus the Ham Sub Bands highlighted makes this AA230Zoom just a delight to use.

M0KZX Rating: 5/5 May 11, 2019 07:20 Send this review to a friend
Must have shack essential  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This device replaces my MFJ 259B which has given me many years good service.

Wow! The AA230 Zoom is amazing. It's so easy to use (didn't look at the instructions to start with)and the display is very clear.
It's very logical to use and tells you everything you need to know about the antenna it's connected to.
I love the graphical sweep function which displays a graph of the SWR over a user defined frequency range. Then, at the push of a button you can zoom in or out decreasing or increasing the frequency range and test again.
The PC software installed and worked without issue on my Windows 10 PC. Although the software has a basic look it replicates everything on the device.
Great value for money. This is one of those things that if I broke it I would immediately buy another.

KM0U Rating: 5/5 Apr 12, 2019 22:01 Send this review to a friend
Nice to Have  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I bought the AA-230 Zoom with bluetooth. I had previously owned a MFJ 259B and a Kurinishi BR 200. They both filled my needs at the time but the 259B went belly up and I carelessly dropped the BR 200 and broke it.
The AA-230 Zoom is amazing. A great tool and it is very intuitive to use. It is packed with features -- I thought it was more than I needed but I am using many of the features that neither of my previous analyzers had.
Pricey, sure, worth it? Absolutely.

PA3EWP Rating: 5/5 Mar 14, 2019 20:29 Send this review to a friend
Great analyzer  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
We got the AA-230 ZOOM analyzer from Rigexpert for our DXpedition to T31EU Kanton Island (www.kanton2019.de). Without this analyzer it would be difficult to adjust the antennas, especially the low-band antenna. The analyzer is easy to use for everyone. Perfect and clear display, the user interface is simple and understandable. Thanks again Rigexpert for using this analyzer.
Ronald PA3EWP

K0TW Rating: 5/5 Mar 5, 2019 22:18 Send this review to a friend
Great function but...  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I agree with all the comments I've read here regarding the great features and function of the AA-230 Zoom. The only functional comment I'd add is that this model DOES have the SWR2AIR mode (although it's not mentioned in the User's Manual). One negative: I do find the cover over the battery compartment pretty flimsy with the latch just waiting to break. And while removing the alkaline batteries before storing the analyzer one of the battery contact springs popped out onto the floor. Seems there's only a small tab holding those springs in. Thanks to a magnifying glass and a pair of tweezers I was able to carefully get the spring back in place. Just be careful with battery tasks.

W7UV Rating: 5/5 Aug 16, 2018 16:19 Send this review to a friend
Excellent Analyzer Amazing Customer Service  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have owned many antenna analyzers, both professional and Hobby. Some of these are MFJ 259, Autek VA1, Array Solutions Power AIM 120. But I am REALLY impressed with the AA230 Zoom. It covers all ham bands up to 1.25 meters (222 Mhz). It has a nice form factor fitting easily in your hand. It comes with a nice form fitted leather case with a clear plastic cover to allow you to operate the unit in the rain if necessary and also keeping the unit clean and dust free during fair weather. The unit has an N connector, which is really a plus for me, as my standard terminations (Open Short and 50 ohms) are N connectors which makes for easy calibration. While I'm sure that the unit is more than adequate in accuracy without calibration (a five minute procedure from the main menu), I prefer to perform an O-S-T calibration (Open Short Termination) so I start out calibrated.

The unit is very intuitive, and comes with a USB cable to connect your analyzer to a laptop for more detail.

The unit offers standard SWR measurements, Multiple SWR measurments, Smith Chart and RX measurements. I've used professional units not having as many features as this analyzer does.

My only complaint is the use of AAA batteries, which I hate :-) In order to keep the form factor of the unit. The battery life is excellent, and the unit turns itself off if you forget to shut it off.

I had some questions about my unit, and was promptly answered by Michael Aretsky in California. They provide service for their units from the PNC Engineering office in California. It's good to know that they are available should any problems arise.

Personally I think every Ham should own an antenna analyzer. They give you a great education on how various factors (Height, surrounding objects, and length of elements affect antenna performance, it also allows you to have a truly resonant antenna. This unit does all this and more. I havent even touched on the cable length, velocity factor calculation and cable loss/fault functions of this unit.

For the price it's a bargain, I purchased mine through Ham Radio Outlet, but they are available at most of the larger Ham stores.

Highly Recommended!

AA7LX Rating: 5/5 Aug 16, 2018 05:48 Send this review to a friend
RigExpert AA-230ZOOM  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Received from DX Engineering. Excellent Antenna Analyzer ! Perfect if You need 1.8 MHz to 230 MHz. Easy to operate with medium size and extra features included. If, You have owned an RigExpert Analyzer already, You will fall in Love with this Model. My AA-230 will be used as a back-up to the AA-600 I own however, the AA-230 will now definably be the mainstay of my Antenna design work! You can always update the Software and Firmware from the RigExpert website. RigExpert Analyzers are the best and outclass all others on the Market. I used MFJ's for 23 years-- RigExpert Antenna Analyzers make Your Antenna design/install/repair expertly done. Buy the highest Frequency You will work with. But-- Buy RigExpert AA-230ZOOM; You will not be disappointed. '73, George

WB8VLC Rating: 5/5 Apr 13, 2018 08:04 Send this review to a friend
big leap above my old mfj  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Two weeks ago I brought my aging MFJ259 in to work to measure some antennas on our companies AS350 HELICOPTER along with a base station antenna to contact the same helicopter.

I was pretty much laughed at about the garage shop appearance of the MFJ and then when another co-worker/new ham showed up with his own 230-ZOOM the next day I decided to retire the flaky MFJ and move up to a better product.

Moral of the story is don't show off and brag to co-workers about your so-called cool MFJ product because some young kid will come along with another better product.

As a result I bought my own 230 zoom, not needing to load in a ton of batteries like the mfj required along with the zooms size and advanced features was certainly worth it.

Best of all was that HRO recently lowered the price on RIG EXPERT products.

W0TDH Rating: 5/5 Aug 27, 2017 06:33 Send this review to a friend
Works very well  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Received AA-230 a few days ago. Two day delivery from DX Engineering. There has been a price reduction... :)) I have had an MFJ analyzer many years ago, this is much better. Right out of the box it confirmed my Double extended Zepp on 75Mtrs was pretty close. Even the 4 element Bobtail Curtain on 40 Mtrs, my Tri-Bander and 2Mtr vertical are right in the Ball Park.
Just put up a 6 element Six Mtr Bobtail yesterday. Still testing, but showing good promise. The AA-230 is taking the guess work out building antennas. It has several other jobs in-store for it, including tweaking a hmbrw 4 element Six Mtr beam. Very happy with the AA-230. Only negative would be the flickering on "All". Still getting used to the software. Screen captures are easy.
My friend W4OP has had one of the more expensive models for several years...and very happy with it.
73, Tom W0TDH

VE3KKQ Rating: 5/5 Jun 17, 2017 10:34 Send this review to a friend
Excellent  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Why buy anything else?
Does a great job and there is to be an Android app soon.
I can see only one problem with it...once you have all your antennas sorted out the way you want them...what do you do with it?
I guess you could donate it to the local club or sell it like the guy I got it from.