Reviews Categories | Transceivers: HF Amateur HF+6M+VHF+UHF models - not QRP <5W | ICOM IC-7300 Help

Reviews Summary for ICOM IC-7300
ICOM IC-7300 Reviews: 349 Average rating: 4.7/5 MSRP: $1,499
Description: This new HF plus 6 meter 100 watt transceiver hosts new
capabilities and technologies for its class. Instead of
the conventional superheterodyne system, a direct RF
sampling approach is used. The brilliant TFT touch screen
provides complete operational status including a stunning
real-time spectrum display with waterfall plus a useful
audio scope display. There is a built-in tuner. Other
features include: Voice memory, 15 Band Pass Filters,
CW/RTTY memory keyer functions, RTTY decode, SD card
slot, USB for CI-V and audio I/O, digital noise reduction
and 101 memories. Only 9.45 x 3.75 x 9.37 inches
(240x95x238mm). Supplied with HM-219 hand mic, DC power
cord and fuses.
More info: http://www.icom.co.jp/world/products/amateur/hf/ic-7300usa/

You can write your own review of the ICOM IC-7300.

VE4MM Rating: 5/5 Oct 13, 2019 01:04 Send this review to a friend
BEST VALUE - GAME CHANGER  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have 2 of the IC7300's and love them.

Bought the 1st one when the radio first came out.

Have one at home and the other at the lake house.

I also bought an IC9700 and love it.

Makes satellite contacts easy as pie.

Mike, ve4mm

M6OXO Rating: 0/5 Oct 10, 2019 16:06 Send this review to a friend
WHAT A PIECE OF JUNK!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've had this PIECE OF JUNK now for 14 months.
I bought it for one band ONLY that was 4m. Same time last year I sent this nail back to ICOM UK. says nothing wrong & shafted me for return postage.
So on Sunday 22nd of September I travelled from the Wirral IO83KI over to JO03AE close to 200 miles to take part in the 2019 PW 4m contest.
Kit taken the Icom7300, super Moxon, 3ele LFA, 4-40m Delta Loop & my 4-80 vertical the last to being built by Howard G4YKB reviews on these antennas speak for themselves! Also too a backup radio & transverter FT-817 & micro comm's transverter. Trying for 20 minutes getting reports back, but could not hear them coming back to get reports over several minutes for each contact.
Swopping antennas & coax ( RG58U, MINI 8, ECOFLEX 10 & ECO FLEX15 ) still nothing of any quality.
So for the last 30 minutes put on the FT-817 transverter getting stations all over Europe, UK & IE.
At 16:00 today 10/10/2019 the STRAW that broke the camels back came. We have had you radio plugged into the BS control box checking out your radio NOTHING WRONG with it! So I asked if there's any chance of getting me a PRESCRIPTION to get a hearing aid for this NAIL of a radio that COST me £1049.99 just for one band that was the 4m section. HF & 6m blinding quality. This has left me wondering that I might not have a FULL UK spec radio?
Well told Steve the engineer who told me there is nothing wrong with the radio then asked " DID YOU CONECT IT TO A ANTENNA ) Ans. WE DON'T HAVE ANY ANTENNAS ! so how the hell can you find the fault if you CANNOT replicate the radio as if it's in the FIELD? Ohh! I have this little testing box that your radio is plugged into says all is OK.
So my reply was PUT THAT PIECE OF CRAP IN THE BIN WHERE IT BELONGS!
Twice travelled out around 200 miles to work the PW contest ( Practical Wireless ) then I hit this years MEGA score with 5 contacts 4 multipliers total 20 points. Those 20 points this year cost me £6 each bleeding one!
Tip if your going to buy any Icom's get them from Germany anything from 10-20% cheaper thank from the greedy big five in the UK who have set the prices way above any EU ham has to pay!
Overall if you want just HF & 6m you won't go to far wrong with the 7300 not quite as good as the FT-920 but it does have a colour screen & a simple menu like the FT-920.
But for 4m BUY SOMETHING ELSE, I did a 4lb lump HAMMER to hit this nail if it ever comes back!
Brian De M6OXO

N4KZ Rating: 5/5 Sep 21, 2019 03:49 Send this review to a friend
Wow. What a rig for the money  Time owned: more than 12 months
I'm going on 2 years with my IC-7300. No issues whatsoever. Tremendous rig. But I agree with the previous poster about the lack of an APF. That's an Audio Peak Filter which boosts weak CW signals out of the noise. My IC-7600 has an APF and it's a great DXing tool. But I found a way to set up the IC-7300 on CW to emulate an APF. While in CW mode, adjust the audio bandpass filter. This will adjust the lower and upper cutoff frequencies. Try setting the CW audio bandpass filter 200 Hz above and below your sidetone frequency. These settings remain until you change them, but when you want an APF-like sound, reduce your CW bandwidth to 100 HZ, carefully tune the desired signal and turn your NR up rather high. I find when I take these steps, weak CW signals really pop up out of the noise. Sounds like the APF on my 7600. YMMV.

CX5FK Rating: 5/5 Sep 20, 2019 01:17 Send this review to a friend
No APF  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I am a 99.99% CW operator. It is an excellent Radio. The spectrum is unbeatable, great sensitivity the whole is impeccable. I just don't understand why Icom doesn't include an APF maybe you will listen to me and include it in the next update. I think that with an APF it would be a perfect rig for the price.

N4NYK Rating: 4/5 Sep 18, 2019 22:47 Send this review to a friend
It's a Good Radio  Time owned: more than 12 months
There are some pros and then there are some cons.
First the pros:

1. Solid transmitter. Never had any problems. Always solid power out.
2. Sensitive receiver.
3. Great display (for its size) and very useful bandscope.
4. Easy digital operation. Simple to set up and operate.
5. Good audio.

CONS (Not so good)

1. Vents on top of radio. Catches dust, water, and anything else that might fall into it. All ICOMSs are the same.
2. Receiver is easy to overload. (Yep, it's true)
3. No free computer control software (like Kenwood for example). I find computer control VERY useful from an ergonomic point of view.
4. No programmable push buttons (like TS-590S and others). Great when using CW, RTTY or other functions. Making an external switch panel overcomes this deficiency.
5. No "TUNE" input for external tuner or amplifier. The power must be manually reduced unless using external control techniques.
6. Power control flimsy/too many turns from max to min power. (10W tune to 100W operation). If a 5 watt step was available via radio software, it would be greatly beneficial.
7. Touch screen control for most operational changes. Would rather have front panel switch control or computer control as an option for major control functions.
8. No separate key / paddle jacks. (CW related). A pain every time I want to tune an antenna tuner, operate a straight key oy use a paddle.
9. Loud OE fan. (Yes, it can be changed to a less efficient albeit quieter fan).
10. NO DATA VOX. ( That's a big deficit).
11. Clock battery dies if radio is not powered on regularly. (Don't go on vacation for more than 3 weeks.

All in all, the IC-7300 is still a great radio if you can do without a few "annoying characteristics".

GM1SXX Rating: 5/5 Sep 13, 2019 20:39 Send this review to a friend
I'm Lovin' it.  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I'm not much of a fan of comparison websites such as EHAM .... but...
Well folks, I haven't had so much fun in ages since I treated myself to a shiny new ICOM IC-7300. Since it's regarded by some as an 'entry level' radio, I expected to find some limitations with this radio but thus far, and I've used it a lot, made quite a few contacts and I've found absolutely nothing to make me unhappy. On the contrary, I think it's a great little radio. I have it connected to the shack PC via USB and CI-V cables and running the excellent Airlink Express software. The radio has been in use every day since it arrived and I keep discovering new things it can do. It's what I'd call a 'compact radio' typical of ICOM radios but it's built like the proverbial brick shithouse, It's constructed on a diecast ally chassis fitted into a good thick two-part steel case. The front panel and control knobs seem to be the only things made of plastic. Internally, the radio is modular being built on various PCB's connected by small ribbon connectors. It's a little gem.all made from stuff some folks call 'fairy dust' components.

I'm working on a few accessories for it including a handheld unit to drive the voice keyer system via buttons rather than the touchscreen, simly for convenience. My only 'tweak' to the radio was to bin the factory fitted fan for an incredibly quiet alternative. Makes a big difference to user comfort does a totally silent cooling fan. I reckon ICOM made a very poor design choice in using that noisy fan! I absolutely love the brick wall software filtering.... awesome if you are used to using narrow xtal filters that always ring! On the subject of ADC overload, that will only happen if you are stupid about using the preamp. Yes, you can overload the ADC, but of course it would be *your* fault/stupidity if you do!. It is not the problem some people make it out to be. Having said that, this is not a radio for field-day use alongside nearby transmitters. The front end filtering is just too wide.

The best radio for field day is probably an FT102 or other hybrid radio with a sharp preselector type front end! Horses for courses! You can't have everything for a measly 1200 quid!

I really do like this radio but it can catch you out. So many features are user-configurable and it's entirely possible to mess things up by applying inappropriate settings. The solution to this is simple.... you can back up all the settings onto SDCARD so they can be restored to your particular settings. I first saved the factory settings as 'factory' then after getting things working nicely in datamodes...RTTY, PSK etc, I saved the new settings as 'datamodes' so no matter if I screw up... I can backtrack to settings that work. It's not rocket science, just common sense.A cheap little standard SDCARD is your friend.

One thing I was worrled about was damaging the touchscreen surface over time so I bought a handful of cheap plastic screen protectors. These cost peanuts and work great. Came from a German EBayer. They have no effect on the operation of the touch sensors. and because of this, I reckon the touchscreen consists of an X/Y matrix of resisttive lines on top of the LCD. It works great.

Ergonomics. Often ignored by designers, ergonomics are as vital to some users, myself included' as functionality. When the 7300 arrived, I dived straight in, just ignoring the manual. ICOM did a fabulous job! pah! Who needs manuals anyway? I worked out most things withought it, but I had one big problem.... how to adjust the TX power! Turned out that's one of the jobs the MULTI knob does. Not a big deal, but I did RTFM for that one. The shame of it! I love the ergonomics. ICOM got it close to perfect with this radio. I've never had a modern ICOM, only a really old one, but the 7300 is incredibly well thought out.

"And my mind got to ramblin', like wild geese in the West'.

A line from a song.... In short, if you fancy an IC-7300 but you are not really sure, my advice is 'go buy one'. My other most recent radio was the KX2 from Elecraft and it is at the other end of the spectrum.... great radio with terrible ergonomics. You pays yer money and you takes yer choice. When it come to the 7300, in the words of a fast nosh chain... 'I'm Lovin' it'. Seriously.

I can forgive INOUE Communications their minor faux-pas in fitting that noisy fan and of course the fix is cheap, so it's 5/5 for me.

Gotta excuse me..... I'm off to play radio

KG5JJ Rating: 4/5 Sep 8, 2019 14:15 Send this review to a friend
Icom IC-7300  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
First new HF purchase for 18 years. Have been using a Kenwood TS-2000 for 18 years with not a glitch. First, the TS-2000 is a 'shack in a box' that does nothing particularly well but does it all. It was kept for VHF/UHF capabilities, instead of selling it for a 7610.

The 7300 is a good radio for its price point. I'm a casual DXer, so a 7610-class radio was not a necessity. The 7610 receivers are incrementally better, but not so much better they forced me to get rid of the TS-2000, to be able to afford it.

Bottom line, the 7300 is a $1,000 radio, nothing more, and nothing less. My expectations going in were not high, and they were certainly met, and exceeded, because of the 7300 receiver, compared to the TS-2000. Digital modes are a breeze. Audio is good on transmit and receive. It's an excellent radio for a casual operator, and it doesn't pretend to be any more than that.

K5OOO Rating: 5/5 Aug 23, 2019 20:44 Send this review to a friend
Best of the Best  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have owned probably 25 HF radios in my 35 years as a ham. None have even come close to the ease of operation and quality of the rx and to. This is probably the last radio I will ever purchase which my XYL danced with joy! Hihi

K6TLA Rating: 5/5 Aug 14, 2019 07:16 Send this review to a friend
Verry Satisfied  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
After reading the reviews and hearing numerous 7300's on the air I decided to go for it. I was able to turn an older IC-706MKIIG into the 7300. Not magic, just selling and buying! The first thing that impressed me about the rig was it's excellent transmit audio quality noted in many QSO's with other users. What can I say about features? Everything and anything a contemporary op would want is built in. There are no filters to add because they are already there in DSP. Voice and CW message recording are built in and it interfaces beautifully with HRD and Win4icomsuite. All around it's a great rig for anyone from the newest ham to old timers like me. It's really exciting to contemplate what Icom will do next in building on the technology developed in the 7300.

AG7UM Rating: 5/5 Jul 27, 2019 17:45 Send this review to a friend
Great for the money and what it can do is amazing!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Let me be straight up and say this is a long review and it may help answer the long standing question of “which radio should I buy? The ICOM 7300 or the Yaesu FTDX 3000?

I purchased my first transceiver back in April 2019. It was an ICOM 7300. Let me start off by saying this radio is EASY to use! Absolutely easy. Setting it up isn’t hard, being able to use the touchscreen is a very big convenience, hooking it up to my computer is a snap and overall the radio performed outstanding for me using only a ZS6BKW dipole at 48 feet it was really good. Was able to contact people all the way from the Dominican republic to the island of Saipan on voice and CW many times using fldigi.

I was going to give this radio a 4 because of how loud the radio is with QRM. I would still have mine if it wasn’t so noisy. Sure, you can turn up the noise reduction and go “all the way up to 15” with it. But even with the noise reduction maxed out, it’s still is pretty loud remember, at higher noise reduction levels just like the 3000, it makes signals and challenges if they are “underwater.“ When you have to turn the volume up to maximum to try and hear a DX doesn’t help as it just magnifies the noise and hurts your hearing over time.

As with everything, you get what you pay for.

With the Yaesu 3000 that comes with a triple het receiver with great filters. There’s your main difference. If you want to work DX by the 3000. If you want to do a lot of contesting, I’d buy a couple of 7300s. I like to work DX to see how far I can work.

So I went searching for a quieter radio. I ended up purchasing the Yaesu FTDX 3000 which has much better filtering and is a much quieter rig overall. However, it’s also $400 more expensive too brand new! Then, if you want to record your voice to say call CQ or something, the 3000 doesn’t have that unless you buy the $65 additional chip.

The ICOM already has that feature built-in.

I give this radio a five even with the noise issues because it’s such an exceptional value. You’ll definitely be able to do everything on each band and 6 m that you may want to even with the noise issues because it offers so much at a low price point.

Remember, as with any radio you definitely need a good antenna. And if you’re a new or ham reading this, don’t be afraid of a dipole. Don’t fall for people telling you that a dipole isn’t true “real antenna that works.“ Research them. Find out which one works best for you. I’ve covered half of the earth using voice on 100 watts, in bad conditions.

The simple answer in my opinion to the “which radio should I buy the 3000 or the 7300?“ Comes down to a simple question… Do you want the better quality receiver? And yes, I’ve seen Sherwood’s review on this but I’m telling you from my ears which are pretty good from 40 years of working DXD 3000 close to 7300 away and yes, I’ve seen Sherwood‘s review on this but I’m telling you from my ears which are pretty good from 40 years of working DX, The 3000 is simply a much better receiver. You can hear the difference right away.

The ICOM 7300 is kind of like a Corvette versus a Ferrari. Really pretty to look at but lacking features that could help make it better. No I’m not saying that my Yaesu is a “Ferrari.“ But what I am saying is compared to the 7300 there’s no comparison on the RX side.

The 7300 is a very “good looking“ radio with a great screen which is the first thing you notice and the one thing you remember about it… Also, it’s easy to use…

I would buy three of them before I would buy a 7610. Why not? You’d have three rigs for the price of one. That’s how well priced for 7300 is! And no, I’m not a big proponent of the 9700 even with two receivers. You have to remember, the 9700’s second receiver doesn’t do HF.

New Hams, BE CAREFUL OF YOU TUBE VIDEOS WHEN IT COMES TO SOUND QUALITY. YouTube videos are helpful but they don’t come close when showing the long standing question of “which radio is better between the 7300 and the 3000.” The Yaesu is simply the better one and I’ve had both rigs. Now, wouldI buy another 3000 for contesting? No.

Here’s why:

The easiest way to describe the difference is I could never use voice and work Japan and Australia I’ve worked both on voice now with the Yaesu in the first week in similar band conditions from my Oregon QTH. You can’t work what you cant hear.

And, this STILL doesn’t make me a “Yaesu Fanboy.”

For contesting, I’d have no problem buying another one to have as another rig to use for contest weekends. I would use the 3000 for DX and the 7300 for stronger signals. I won’t part with my 3000 for a while but I definitely wouldn’t be against purchasing another 7300 because It’s just too easy to work stronger signals AND SEE THEM not to.

Well done ICOM.