Reviews Categories | Transceivers: HF Amateur HF+6M+VHF+UHF models - not QRP <5W | ICOM IC-7300 Help

Reviews Summary for ICOM IC-7300
ICOM IC-7300 Reviews: 326 Average rating: 4.7/5 MSRP: $1,499
Description: This new HF plus 6 meter 100 watt transceiver hosts new
capabilities and technologies for its class. Instead of
the conventional superheterodyne system, a direct RF
sampling approach is used. The brilliant TFT touch screen
provides complete operational status including a stunning
real-time spectrum display with waterfall plus a useful
audio scope display. There is a built-in tuner. Other
features include: Voice memory, 15 Band Pass Filters,
CW/RTTY memory keyer functions, RTTY decode, SD card
slot, USB for CI-V and audio I/O, digital noise reduction
and 101 memories. Only 9.45 x 3.75 x 9.37 inches
(240x95x238mm). Supplied with HM-219 hand mic, DC power
cord and fuses.
More info: http://www.icom.co.jp/world/products/amateur/hf/ic-7300usa/

You can write your own review of the ICOM IC-7300.

K7TXO Rating: 4/5 May 11, 2019 16:03 Send this review to a friend
Bandscope for TS-590SG  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
From the perspective of dollars spent, this is a very good radio. On the other hand, some hams with years of experience may still find this radio meets all their needs. My point: Whether this radio meets all of your needs, depends largely on how you operate. In terms of receive audio quality, if you think the first generation ELECRAFT K3 sounded great, then the IC-7300 will probably sound ok to you too. I think some of this depends on your state of hearing. For me the receiver sound quality is tiring, regardless of settings or choice of external speaker or headphones. Lets say this is just me because given the quantity of IC-7300 radios sold, the audio must be good for the majority?

Functionality. No arguement that it has what it needs for most operators. Lets say you want to change bands. Touch the screen, touch a band and you are there. Not as fast as directly on a front panel 10 key pad but this is splitting hairs.

Band stack switching is done with a repeat process of touching the frequency and again touching the (same) band button on screen. A physical 10 key pad allows you to whiz through a band stacked group with rapid single button push of the band button. Still think its splitting hairs? Ok but it is faster to use a real 10 key pad. But that adds real estate to include on the front panel, some additional electronics and certainly adds to the cost. So maybe the reasonably fast soft screen method is ok. Soft screen selection is not my preference but hey, this radio is a great buy for a reason and this point is perhaps insignificant to some or no issue at all for others.

Adjustment of RF Power output is fast. I cannot do it any faster or slower with the dedicated Power button on my other radio.

What you cannot do on the IC-7300 in less than one second is to quick-check the SWR or Power level to the antenna. I have a button to do just that. As fast as I can press it, look at the result and press again to turn off, I know the state of an antenna at a particular frequency, typically at my preset power level of 5 watts. Regardless if the radio is set to any other value for tranmission, this quick button action is normally set at 5 watts, minimizing on the air interference. On the IC-7300, you have to check and dial the power level you want to use, switch to CW mode if not already there and then key down to achieve a similar result. Then reset these controls to your operational levels for what you intend to do on that particular frequency. Yes there is a way to do this with an external switch through the rear panel external Auto Matcher connection as long as 10 watts is the level you always want this to transmit. For the quick antenna check example, this is fine.
But what about adjusting a tube type linear amplifier? Lots of hams still use these type of amps because like the '7300, they are economical to get into. Using my dedicated output function that is normally set to 5 watts, I can dial-adjust this up to say, 30 watts to get an optimal state of tube amplifier match. Or for solid state, perhaps a slow-dial up of power from the exciter has some benefit too. Even for the use of an external manual match box, I can quick-punch this 5 watt level of output to adjust the capacitor(s) and inductor in a commmon matcher to optimum values, again with virtually no interference since we all attempt to do any on the air adjustments (if we must) on a clear frequency with the least amount of RF TX power. Everyone does that, right?

There are many other "call to action" functions that I can do more rapidly than a radio like the '7300 that is more menu based. ICOM did do a great job on providing a limited number of front panel button functions within the price point and size of this radio. Nothing wrong here, just a matter of choice and operational needs or preferences.

So why do I have an IC-7300 if I have only pointed out nit-picky things that might not matter to many of you? Because I love my '7300. Just not the way all of you (today) use it. In my station, I only use it's receiver. Although in most cases the receiver audio is dialed to zero. I literally, only spent a grand to buy the '7300 to use its band scope. Spendy just for that? I have a slight eye condition that is helped if I do not swing my view back and forth between a computer monitor and the radio. Even if most everyone do not have any issues, a case can be made that the constant rotation between the computer screen and radio to focus adapt to brightness-difference while gathering current data has some effect on everyone. We all do it and it won't go away since we have a number of programs we run in Amatuer Radio between a radio and computer. But what if I can lower that mental and visual workout? Besides that, what if I can keep a band scope operational without some other program or human action on the computer stepping on non-stop operation of an external SDR receiver from losing active display on the computer screen?

What I did was to link the '7300 to my preferred radio of TX and RX operation, my KENWOOD TS-590G (aka 590SG). I won't go into the details here but very simply I have the DRV/RX Antenna OUT port of the '590G feeding an INRAD RX7300 it that provides RX Antenna IN on an isolated Receive INPUT only path into the 7300. And then I use DXLAB's Commander program for it's MultiRadio CAT control to sync both of these radios together, only for Band, Frequency and Mode control. What does that do for me?

The excellent albeit small screen band scope of the '7300 is directly above my '590G radio. I can now visually see activity or clear frequencies as if this scope was built into the 590G itself. I can touch screen move to a frequency instantly on the 7300 and the 590G is right there too. I can use either radios VFO or the faster band and mode change buttons of the '590 if I wish, to make changes. I have both VFO controls at different rates of speed such that it makes it faster and easier to fine tune any signal. Or just troll across a band at a preferred rate of dial operation by picking the VFO that gives me the rate I want to travel at that time.

For this bi-directional, dual radio setup I give the '7300 an eHAM "5". Overall I give the radio a 4 which is not harsh because a 4 is the Good, next to Great rating. For me the radio, used as a standalone radio is Good; no complaint; just not as good as my TS-590SG in some areas. If this were based on NR only, the TS-590SG in my opinion would rate only a "2" which means Needs help. The 7300 NR is outstanding by the way, even if for my ear, the RX audio is still just not my cup of tea. How you use the radio will have a different perspective but I imagine for most, this radio is incredible. And hey, in todays choice of radios, it is simply hard to beat for many of you at its price point.

One last point in case your wondering why I did not buy an IC-76710 or TS-890S or pick another rig? Because my budget does not favor spending north of $3,500 for a rig. For less mula, spread over to rigs purchased between Nov 2014 (the '590G) and the $980 after rebate I spent last month/April 2019 on the 7300, I have what I was after for a reasonable outlay over time. I can sort of justify that I have a backup rig. I can in some rare cases, prefer to use the 7300 receiver audio and NR filter. And... I can setup Diversity reception by setting up the radios as independent receivers on also independent and different types of antennas. The range of "hardware configurability" is excellent. Drawbacks? Devising ways to make some ham raido computer programs play nice with the radios while the CAT program must have total control of the USB lines to the computer for bi-directional Command strings is a bit of a challenge. Because the TS-590 also has an RS232 port which is an independent COM port with the computer, that helps to deal with this. The '7300 is key to this, even if I am using my '590 as the primary radio. But now the '590 has a top notch band scope. Perhaps a small scope but very effective. Kind of like marrying an ELECRAFT P3 in cost and size except I could not do that properly with the clever up/down conversion design of the '590 receiver.

Gene / K7TXO

N4UE Rating: 5/5 May 3, 2019 00:11 Send this review to a friend
Try one!  Time owned: more than 12 months
HI. Been a ham for 55+ years. I have a large collection of radios. Can't seem to sell anything. ha ha

I have both the 7300 and the 7610. My 7610 although out of warranty, has less than 5-6 Power On Hours (POH)
Why? The 7300 is that good! Although my JA 756PRO still has the best band scope (minus the waterfall) the 7300 is the first radio I go to every time. It is SO simple, SO easy to use, it has left my Collins and Drake collection in the dust.

One final point, and this IS important, the NB on the 7300 has to be heard (or NOT heard) to really appreciate it, even on "default"!!!

ron
N4UE

W9RAD Rating: 5/5 May 2, 2019 20:07 Send this review to a friend
What more needs to be said?  Time owned: more than 12 months
What more can I say that hasn't already been said? Just over a year with this rig and totally satisfied. I challenge anyone to find a better, more entertaining rig for under $1000 new.

KC2QJJ Rating: 5/5 May 1, 2019 21:40 Send this review to a friend
Best bang for the bucks!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
You can't beat this unit at todays price point of around $1000. It is more than just a beginners transceiver. Well made and very useful this is certainly no toy. The only wish I have is it could use a network port for remote functions.

N2XNB Rating: 5/5 Apr 30, 2019 13:42 Send this review to a friend
best Icom for me yet  Time owned: more than 12 months
I love my Icom 7300. Had it 2 years now. I use a w2ihy on it and for me it sounds great. Apparently most other people in dx like the sound too as I usually get glowing reports. I always leave the ip+ button on. Its receiver is really good too. Pretty much everyone I talk to now says they love theirs too. catch you on dx. N2xnb

NP4L Rating: 5/5 Apr 26, 2019 15:42 Send this review to a friend
No beat for the money  Time owned: more than 12 months

We have owned this IC-7300 for around 24 months with no problems at all. And believe me the 7300 and 7610 is the best SDR ever for your money.

AB1GO Rating: 4/5 Apr 15, 2019 03:49 Send this review to a friend
nice, but could be better..  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
It's excellent, but there are a few things I would improve:

There are birdies, nothing bad on the ham bands, but really unfortunate ones on the MW (broadcast AM) band.

I wish the waterfall would scroll its history when you tune, so for example a vertical line for a signal remains vertical and doesn't become diagonal during tuning (and it would be OK for the scrolled-in unknown areas to be blank). Maybe what it does now is the convention, but it's not good. Scrolling should be technically possible: any low end 2d graphics accelerator will be able to do this with bitblt.

KN6SU Rating: 5/5 Mar 28, 2019 22:55 Send this review to a friend
Great Little Rig  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I'd been using two mid-sized HF rigs for years, namely the TS 440SAT and the IC751A and was very satisfied with them. Having read all the generally laudatory hype about the 7300 I went ahead and bought one when they went on sale at HRO that brought the cost down to $980 with the $100 ICOM mail-in rebate. That is way less than what the IC751A cost 25 years ago...without an auto tuner or the optional SSB and CW filters...

There's much I like about this rig. While the 751A is a superb receiver, I found the 7300 hears even better, and the built-in software defined filtering means you don't need to spend mucho bucks on stuff that used to be optional. The spectrum and audio scope work extremely well. The fully adjustable notch is really superb, and when used with the audio scope you can use it to notch out nearby interference and noise. The touch screen and menus are really logically well designed and easy to access once you learn how to use them. There are very few buttons on this radio and ICOM's designers really got it right.

I get great audio reports on my transmissions using the supplied mic. The only gripe I've had is that the ALC does seem to be a bit more aggressive on SSB than my 751A and 440SAT, keeping the average power out below 25W and the PEP below 60W when the rig is set to 100% power output. This issue has been contentiously discussed on the internet. One can argue over how significant the ALC throttling of SSB power output really is in terms of actual radio performance, but the fact is it is true. For those to whom it matters, there is an ALC mod that adds a small capacitor to change the ALC time constant to make it less aggressive, but doing it will void the Icom Warrantee...

In conclusion, the IC 7300 is a superb HF-6M rig, and I don't think there is a better rig you can get for <$1K.

K0GV Rating: 4/5 Mar 27, 2019 23:14 Send this review to a friend
Good entry level SDR, with limitations  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
The IC-7300 is a good entry level SDR. Good receiver, good transmitter. It generally sounds great on the air and it performs well on the digital modes. It is a good bang for the buck.

The area that needs a large improvement is the SDR human/computer interface. ICOM should have brought the I/Q lines out so one can use the IC-7300 with software such as HDSDR or they should have greatly improved the panadapter features available through the USB. The Flex radios and the Anan radios blow the IC-7300 away when it comes to the panadapter features and functionality, even when using the proprietary ICOM RS-BA1 software.

The IC-7300 is a good radio, a great entry level radio, but it could be so much more.

UR7FM Rating: 5/5 Mar 20, 2019 21:27 Send this review to a friend
2.5 year update  Time owned: more than 12 months
Apparently bad reviews write not quite adequate radio amateurs,sri ... I have been using this radio for more than two years, thousands QSO in all modes and am very pleased. Made a modification of the tuner by SP9SOY mod and now the internal tuner tunes my ZS6BKW on all HF bands swr 1:1.3
73!