Reviews Categories | Transceivers: HF Amateur HF+6M+VHF+UHF models - not QRP <5W | ICOM IC-7300 Help

Reviews Summary for ICOM IC-7300
ICOM IC-7300 Reviews: 299 Average rating: 4.8/5 MSRP: $1,499
Description: This new HF plus 6 meter 100 watt transceiver hosts new
capabilities and technologies for its class. Instead of
the conventional superheterodyne system, a direct RF
sampling approach is used. The brilliant TFT touch screen
provides complete operational status including a stunning
real-time spectrum display with waterfall plus a useful
audio scope display. There is a built-in tuner. Other
features include: Voice memory, 15 Band Pass Filters,
CW/RTTY memory keyer functions, RTTY decode, SD card
slot, USB for CI-V and audio I/O, digital noise reduction
and 101 memories. Only 9.45 x 3.75 x 9.37 inches
(240x95x238mm). Supplied with HM-219 hand mic, DC power
cord and fuses.
More info: http://www.icom.co.jp/world/products/amateur/hf/ic-7300usa/

You can write your own review of the ICOM IC-7300.

SM3LEI Rating: 3/5 Oct 24, 2018 10:17 Send this review to a friend
Good basic radio. But....  Time owned: more than 12 months
Icom first SDR radio that change the market.

I have used the radio in Sweden, Florida and now in Portugal and often as the main radio but also as backup.

Used on beam antennas, dipole and big verticals.

My opinion it is a good basic radio that work for most regular use and easy to handle. I got the EU model so I could use it on 70 MHz.

Overall I am happy with the radio but there is some issues that I have noted.

LF audio is not up to date need to be improved. Used internal and several external speakers and headset and compared with non SDR radios the performance is not good. Yes I have used the built in EQ to get it as best as possible.
But the sound from an old tube radio it is not able to get. Also my FTdx-3000 and FTdx-9000 is far better.
However the big problem is overloading of radio with strong nearby ham or commercial transmitters is not fun to deal with. In the country side no or only minor problem but in city areas there we have the problem. In Sweden and Portugal I used it near Lisboa and Stockholm and this area has a lot of cell phone site but also TV and FM radio transmitters and that was not good for the 7300.

Tried different antennas to find a way around the problem and yes problem was change between better and worse.

The final test I did was to put a filter in the antenna feeder that blocked all over 52 MHz and that did the best help. 75% of the problems was gone and 100% of the 70 MHz band that was one of the things that was vital for me.

Now we have moved to the country side on Portugal the 7300 perform better and are used as main radio on 70 MHz and as a general patio radio for HF when I need to sit outside in the sun and just monitor ham radio bands.

M6OXO Rating: 2/5 Oct 16, 2018 16:42 Send this review to a friend
ICOM.UK won't repair any EU bought radio's we are in EU?   Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Without Prejudice ICOM.UK won't repair any EU bought radio's we are in EU?
Bought a Icom IC7300 in September 2018 mainly for one reason the 70Mhz band, for contesting. Firstly on the top left knob marked TWIN PBT CLA turn up to much and then acts like a second SQUELCH, but when speaking to Icom on the phone they could not tell me which knob to adjust to solve the problem; Instead I ended up sending it in to their workshops & had to pay the return postage. SO BE AWARE if your not hearing anything back off that knob first!.

As being in the UK the big five outlets are price fixing well over 15% above any other EU country. Then there's the so called warranty that is not worth the paper it is printed on, as we are in the so called EU state so there should be a level playing field for any repairs of any equipment bought in the EU but not here! Icom pay the importers, for any warranty work needed doing. But will only repair sets that you get over here the reply you get is (comes under EU State law EU is EU and anything bought in the EU should be under repair warranty anywhere in the EU! ) all you get here is "SEND IT TO THE COUNTRY IT CAME THROUGH"! THIS IS SO THE GREEDY BUGGERS can slap on another 15% more than you need to pay Via Germany or Italy.
Rings Icom UK today 16/10/2018 asking what can cause my 7300 to keep going off & on while transmitting, answer all my faulty equipment 30Amp PSU & a 135Amp wagon battery " both still under warranty with no faults"
but it's funny I can work a FT-920 solid for 27 hours without it packing up on full power.
Reason I bought this set was to make things easier for portable use instead of taking the FT-817 & transverter & to double output from 5 watts up to 10 watts. So in three contests I had to revert back to the old trusty 817 & transverter. Had a right job setting up the SD card as saying not recognised in the menu settings tried 4 others before the set would accept one all were SAN DISC class 10 micro not the cheap copies. There's the bad points, now the good points very simple menu easy to navigate through. the waterfall display for quick frequency change two taps of the screen & your there with a bit of fine tuning. Being a SDR it is expensive for what it is, I've had to pop a 12v PC fan on the top of the radio when driven on 90% of power as they get very hot very quickly. Since surrendering my other two licences as don't need the power as a QRP operator. In my opinion NOT as good as all the hype would have you believe & for the same money the 7100 still looks the better radio as there is VHF 2m & UHF 70cms as well.
Quick point if you want a carry handle & pay 40+ for one or get a strip of rubber off the sidewall of a scrap car tyre four penny washers & 2x m4 x10mm total 50p & stronger with a bit of work with a modelling knife & a bit of sandpaper the add some boot polish jobs a good one.

Best 73 Brian De M6OXO

W0XX Rating: 5/5 Sep 30, 2018 17:26 Send this review to a friend
Great Little Radio  Time owned: more than 12 months
Had a K-3, parted with is (don't miss it) and this radio runs rings around the K-3 I had.

W1ADE Rating: 5/5 Sep 16, 2018 04:51 Send this review to a friend
Glad not EVERYone likes it.  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I'm glad not everybody likes these rigs because that makes them available on the second-hand market. I got mine used, and I really love the rig.

I started in the 90's with an 80's Corsair. Radios have come a long way baby. I've had all brands but mostly Yaesu and this is my first Icom HF rig. Well not exactly the first-I bought a 7100 just a few weeks before, I'd already made up my mind to buy both, but waited for a good deal on a used rig in both cases.

Also excited to see that two of these rigs can be linked together and share controls or split as needed. N4LQ's videos on this rig sold me on trying one, and I'm glad I did. Steve also has a few videos showing some practical hints and getting the most (or most tailored) experience from your 7300. The comparison he makes to the FT-991 is what got my attention.

There's a good deal of learning (especially if new to late model Icoms) but I think it's well worth it. 73

WA7HJV Rating: 5/5 Sep 8, 2018 15:47 Send this review to a friend
Exceeds Expectations  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have been looking at the 7610 so I bought the 7300 to get a general idea of what the 7610 has to offer. I am both pleasantly surprised and 100% sold on this inexpensive performer.

I will be placing my order for the 7610 shortly.

KE2TR Rating: 5/5 Sep 6, 2018 17:49 Send this review to a friend
Excellent compact station rig!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I am writing this review after I sold my 7300 only to parlay the purchase of there 7610 SDR but I still read these reviews and find that most who say the receiver may have some overload issues at time may not be reading the manual at all, when in fact when you do see some overload issues just back down on the RF gain control and for the most part that will solve most problems. The attenuation is 20db which is far too much to add but a slight twist of the RF gain control to the right and its like a variable attenuater control, in most cases this is all you need plus if you have played with the radio enough for almost all of the HF bands there is no need for the pre amp stages to be engaged, the flat position has more sensitivity then most radio's with there pre amp engaged. The adjacent channel selectivity is -110db or better with by far is much better than allot of 9Mhz roofing filter/DSP superhets around by at least 20db. Notch, NR and NB work extremely well only to be bested by there own 7610 plus the transmit audio on SSB is extremely clean. There are allot of good radio's on the market but this around $1000 radio stands out big time plus its phase noise levels play alongside some of the big dogs in the marketplace. BTW I used to be a Yaesu Fan Boy but from what I have seen as far as specs there still barking down the superhet/maybe SDR type radio with there latest radio, seems to me there a little too late.

VE3GZB Rating: 5/5 Sep 6, 2018 15:01 Send this review to a friend
Amazing!  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I'm new to SDR, I still have my roots in vacuum tubes. I tried this IC7300 in the store in Toronto and the apparent precision by which I can tune in/zoom in on signals is really quite impressive!

The audio quality is pretty decent and now that I'm experimenting with digital modes I find it's not difficult to set up and maintain.

The radio can be overloaded by very strong signals, that is my only complaint and a small complaint at that. I was never an ICOM fan before but this effort of theirs is impressive!

G4AZC Rating: 5/5 Aug 31, 2018 14:22 Send this review to a friend
Awesome Radio A1+  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
As you can see from the callsign I have done a few turns around the block.

This is not my first radio new or otherwise by a long way. However is is my first venture into SDR format radios.

The IC-7300 replaces an FTdx3000 which whilst an excellent radio was over complicated menu-wise and not very ergonomic nor simple to operate in my opinion.

The IC-7300 was purchased in used but as-new condition on a whim simply because I got it for a really good price, too good to say no to.

To put it simply the receiver performance stunning even compared to the FTdx3000.

More than anything else is the almost total reduction in noise on the MF bands.

I live in a rural area which the bunny-huggers (green brigade) have taken over and festooned with Solar Pannel Array Energy Farms and Wind Turbines whilst preaching green crudentials. As a result the local noise levels are awful on 160M, 80M and 40M
With the FTdx3000 I was getting S9 noise on 80M all the time and the DSP did not really supress it to any great degree without considerable fiddling with the DSP settings.

With the Icom IC-7300 the noise is almost non existant - it still shows S9 on the meter but the DSP almost complety reomoves it even on its default setting, QSOs pop up out of nowhere.
It is literally like getting the band back again as it was 30 years ago.

The radio is delightfully simple and intuitive to operate. I used it immediately out of the box no problem. ML&S (UL dealership) have done an excellent video which is well worth watching.

I cannot comment on how good this radio is for DX/Field day competition work etc as I do not partake. However that is not it's intended market. I do mostly rag chewing although I do a lot of Marine Data Decoding which this radio excells at.

For simple every day use this radio is quite amazing. I loved it instantly I used it, a feeling I never got with the FTdx3000 which is now for sale.

Pros :

Brilliant noise reduction
Excellent receiver
Delightfully simple and intuitive to operate.

All round the best radio I have owned.

Cons :

None so far.

Wish list :
I would have liked to see an audio mute switch on the front panel and I would much prefer a proper size 1/4 inch jack socket for the headphones but they are very very minor issues.

I have given it a thorough hammering on most bands so far and would thoroughly recommend it to anyone for a GP MF/HF radio.

And in answer to another re-viewer further down these pages - YES it is supposed to go to sleep after 30 mins of inactivity ! ! , that is a design feature and Menu option, not a fault. If all else fails read the directions and read the manual.

Treat yourself to one - you know that you deserve it.

G4AZC (QRZ.com)

HA7WX Rating: 5/5 Aug 16, 2018 15:30 Send this review to a friend
great for an entry level rig  Time owned: more than 12 months
I am giving a 5 for this radio which I own and have compared to my trusty and mid-range (in its days) radio, the Kenwood TS-850, while they are not in the same class.
Kenwood beats it hands down, especially with my Inrad filters, but i am not surprised here.
And I prefer the sound of Kenwood, that`s a personal thing.
That said I am mainly keeping the 7300 for its use on higher bands when the scope is very handy at monitoring bands with no easily predictable band openings.
This is to me an added value to the shack for sure.
Everything has been said, on my side I do like the quality of its TX audio right out of the box with the original mic.
Also, it does not warm up on transmit either, I have had the 7000 which gave me concerns with the heat.
Selectivity is where you will recognize that you have an entry rig here : the thing is really open, and filters struggle in crowded band conditions.
This is not a radio for field day and this is not a radio for the contester either, IMO...
For the casual ops and beginners I`d say you can`t go wrong.
While not a beginner, I am keeping that rig for the reasons mentioned earlier, the ability to monitor activity instantly on the higher bands and the quality of TX and manufacturing.
Reasons for buying and eventually keeping it will differ with everyone.

KD4CQZ Rating: 5/5 Aug 16, 2018 02:16 Send this review to a friend
Fantastic Radio  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I added the IC-7300 to my shack to see what all the fuss was about with this radio. Just about everyone who owns one fawns over what it can do, especially for such a low price.

Up until the IC-7300 arrived last week, I have been using a Kenwood TS-2000. It is often described as a 'shack in a box' and I guess that is accurate. Coupled to an Acom 1010 Amp and a ZeroFive 43' vertical antenna I have talked to people all over the world.

As much as I like the TS-2000, it is impossible to ignore just how well the Icom-7300 performs. Before using the IC-7300k I figured that the spectrum scope/waterfall was just marketing department eye candy; I was very wrong. The IC-7300 is not the latest gimmick to sell radios - it really works well at everything that it does.

First and foremost, the IC-7300 has a very sensitive and quiet receiver. The filtering is not just effective, it is easy to use. The controls are a minimalists dream with nothing that you don't need.

The manual is pretty thin, at least compared to my TS-2000 manual and very easy to follow. The menus almost need no explanation. Setup time to get on the air and feel confident working the IC-7300 is very short.

The IC-7300 is what I had imagined SDR would be when I first read about it. I like that I don't need to connect it to a computer too. This radio is just a a joy to operate. I don't waste any time scanning around a band looking for contacts that are not there. One glance at the spectrum scope and waterfall and you can tell if there is any activity or not. I come got it right with this radio.