Reviews Categories | Transceivers: HF Amateur HF+6M+VHF+UHF models - not QRP <5W | ICOM IC-7300 Help

Reviews Summary for ICOM IC-7300
ICOM IC-7300 Reviews: 313 Average rating: 4.8/5 MSRP: $1,499
Description: This new HF plus 6 meter 100 watt transceiver hosts new
capabilities and technologies for its class. Instead of
the conventional superheterodyne system, a direct RF
sampling approach is used. The brilliant TFT touch screen
provides complete operational status including a stunning
real-time spectrum display with waterfall plus a useful
audio scope display. There is a built-in tuner. Other
features include: Voice memory, 15 Band Pass Filters,
CW/RTTY memory keyer functions, RTTY decode, SD card
slot, USB for CI-V and audio I/O, digital noise reduction
and 101 memories. Only 9.45 x 3.75 x 9.37 inches
(240x95x238mm). Supplied with HM-219 hand mic, DC power
cord and fuses.
More info: http://www.icom.co.jp/world/products/amateur/hf/ic-7300usa/

You can write your own review of the ICOM IC-7300.

W4DXL Rating: 5/5 Feb 21, 2019 16:25 Send this review to a friend
Better Than Entry Level  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I must admit I bristle a bit when I hear the IC-7300 called an entry level radio. The 718 is and the 7200 are but not the 7300. It really doesn't leave most Amateurs wanting for much. Almost everything you could ask for is there and it's easy to access too! The menus make sense. I am not an Icom user, I've had a few but mostly had Yaesu so there is no bias here. The ability to see a signal a couple of KC away and not even a squeal or anything is great. I haven't had any problems with mine mor have I heard about any problem from the huge base of installed 7300's. Icom obviously has this one down to a science. My only wish is that the mic imput would handle a standard dynamic mic instead of needing an electret or high output dynamic. I used a mixer with my Heil PR781 until I started getting some RF in the line. I'll find the problem and get back to it but for now I'm using the Heil iCM-BG mic which works fine.

GI0ZGB Rating: 4/5 Feb 17, 2019 14:15 Send this review to a friend
Icom 7300 HF/6/4  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Because of my experience with the Icom 7800 Mk2 I was reluctant to purchase Icom again.
So I waited, read reviews from reputable sources, before squeezing the trigger.
After using the IC-7300, I was impressed by its build quality and its clear informative display which allowed quick familiarization with its impressive array of features and real world capabilities.
This little radio is a true stand-alone direct-sampling, digital up-conversion SDR.
Icom has a class winner with the SDR performance, intuitive touch-screen and the no nononsense USB computer interface.
This radio delivers a lot of bang for the buck.
Like all SDR's it suffers from front end overload when massively strong stations draw near. In this instance it is necessary to back off the RF gain, switch out the pre-amps and perhaps introduce some attenuation. The Kenwood down conversion architecture is much more robust in this regard, but certainly not immune to the same conditions. The 7300 can hear the grass grow, in quiet conditions its weak signal reception is without peer in its class. I find the internal ATU worse than usless, even in Emergency mode, all my Kenwood internal ATU's are much better.
But when hooked up to an external auto ATU this ceases to be an issue.
The TX audio quality, even with the standard mic is crisp and clear, being adjustable via a menu item.
The lack of a HDMI jack to allow an external panadapter display was a disappointment, or even a Kenwood style DRV output to allow the use of SDRPlay or similar with suitable third party software would have been a desirable option.
The RX audio, even with the tiny internal speaker is good, but I run mine through an Asus STX 7.1 soundcard and into a Loigitech studio 5.1 sound system which can be tailored via an internal EQ capability that will shake your windows and rattle your walls when cranked up.
And then we have the RS-BA1 version 2 software. Even with firmware update 2.10 it's still buggy, agricultural, and does not compare well to competitors offerings. The software does not allow the scope to be used when working from a remote location, major bummer.
My workaround is to use TeamViewer to directly access the base computer and run RS-BA1 on it gaining the scope function in that way.
All in all, I'm probably tempting fate, but this little radio has restored my confidence in Icom products.

KC6JQT Rating: 5/5 Jan 29, 2019 19:05 Send this review to a friend
Excellent SDR Rig...highly recommend  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
From a picky guy who held off on picking up one of these rigs, I must admit I am very impressed. ICOM did a beautiful job with the IC-7300. My recent rigs included a 756-Pro3, Ft-3000, and a FT-2000D. The 7300 is beautifully designed and for those who don't like menus is super simple to navigate with the touch screen. From Independent audio profiles based on mode to beautiful split screen scope screen modes, a spectrum scope that is detailed and fast unlike Yaesu's, a SD memory card to easily update FW to 1.30 and or record stellar quality RX audio and or TX contest calls, and a beautifully matched hand mic unlike the dull Yaesu MH-31 they ship with every radio. TX reports are excellent at SSB MIC G=30 Comp=2 Bass=+1 treble=+3. I can tell Icom listened to their customers and really put a lot of thought into the 7300. The two I've run FM/RTTY and PEP SSB at ~89-91 watts into a LP100A/DLoad. A simple service autoset RTTY driver and final tune into DL snapped them up to 105w FM/RTTY rms / SSB pep exactly as factory spec'd. No ALC or full output issues. Enough said but wanted to chime in as I am impressed. So many sold...plenty of used like new 7300's to pick from "demo'ing" hams. 73's

KT0DD Rating: 5/5 Jan 27, 2019 16:01 Send this review to a friend
1+ year update  Time owned: more than 12 months
First of all, I realize this is not an IC7851 for $1099 so I don't expect top level contesters performance. It is a great bang for buck all around everyday radio. You want better performance? Pay the extra bucks for a 7851, TS890 etc. It does what I want just fine. I ragchew with friends, check into nets and work casual DX and the 7300 does excellent on my mediocre inverted L antenna. I love my TX audio and have learned the secret of the receiver. I never run my RF gain wide open and have never had my OVF light come on. I've read Rob Sherwoods paper about modern receivers don't have a lack of sensitivity problem, but rather a too much sensitivity problem. The RF gain knob is your best friend. I turn my RF gain down to where the meter lights 1 or 2 bars on the S-meter and I haven't noticed a weak signal problem but rather less hash to copy a weak signal thru. I learned a contester's trick from the Ten Tec Orion II crowd. Set your volume to an acceptable level and use your RF gain knob for your volume control. It works well when I'm working DX. You get what you pay for and for the money, the 7300 can't be beat.

AF5CC Rating: 4/5 Jan 27, 2019 04:12 Send this review to a friend
Good radio  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have owned about 40 different HF rigs over my time as a ham so I have a good knowledge base to compare rigs to. I have owned some high end rigs like the Yaesu FT1000D, Kenwood TS850SDX, Kenwood TS850 and Yaesu FT1000MP. Much of the time though I have used medium to lower level rigs. I am glad I had the chance to own an Icom 7300 a couple of times.

I will give this a 4 as it is a good radio. A few things keep it from being a great radio. Maybe Icom can fix them with a firmware upgrade. Here are the nits I had with it:

1. No CW APF (audio peak filter). Lesser Icoms like the 746 and 756 original had this. The 7300 has a twin peak filter for RTTY. How hard can it be to add one for CW? A good APF really brings a weak CW signal up out of the noise.

2. The Quick Split function only does half the job. When you push and hold the split button it equalizes the VFOs and puts it in split mode. So what, you cannot program in the amount of split you want. Even the Icom 706 original lets you do that. It is great to come across a DX station on CW who says UP, and to be able to hold down the split button and automatically be set up to transmit UP 1 KHZ, or whatever split you program in. You can't do that with the 7300.

3. The bandscope didn't do much for me. The bandscopes on the 756PRO series are much better. Even if you turn off the waterfall, you cannot use the large setting for the bandscope alone. If you go to the full screen it is half bandscope and half waterfall. I want it all bandscope, that would make it more comparable to the 756PRO bandscope.

4. The DSP based noise blanker isn't all that good. It seemed average at best. The NB in the Kenwood TS590 is better. As our QTHs get noisier and noisier with the crummy switching PS in most consumer electronics, we need better noise blankers.

5. As far as I could tell, there was no way to control the playback volume of the voice keyer, it seemed to be linked to the AF setting. You had to turn the AF volume way up so you could hear when the voice keyer was done playing, but then you got blown away by band noise because the AF was too loud.

6. The menus were not set up very logically at all. You had to go all over the place to set different things, and many of the settings were hard to find.

I had a chance to compare the Icom 7300 to a Yaesu FT450D in the SSB version of the North American QSO Party using an antenna switch so I could listen to the same station on the same antenna using either radio. I really didn't notice much of a different between the radios in terms of receiver performance. The 7300 isn't as quiet as some would lead you to think.

The RTTY decode does a very good job, and it is nice that you can send canned RTTY messages as well. I did the CQWW RTTY contest in search and pounce mode and never had to boot up a RTTY program. The 7300 decoded RTTY at least as good as MMTTY. That is a very nice feature. You can do mobile RTTY without a computer.

The tuner seemed pretty typical of most internal tuners today, which means it isn't very good. They need to go back to tuners like the FT1000 and TS950 had, they would load up anything! The tuner did match my antennas on a few additional bands when I put it in emergency mode.

One reason I got rid of the Icom 7300 was that it seems to be overly sensitive to RF. I have some RF on the braid of my coax run for the low band doublet I use-long story, but it needs to be that way to work at all on 80 meters. On that antenna the internal sound card kept disconnecting. The previous owner had to send the 7300 back for repair because the CI-V jack quit working. I was worried something like that would happen again due to the RF sensitivity it had. It was nice to be able to run both rig control and digital modes through 1 USB connector.

The RS-BA1 program for remote control isn't that good. The Yaesu and Kenwood CAT programs are easier to use with Teamviewer for remote control. They are free also!

To be honest, I really don't miss the 7300 all that much.

John AF5CC

W8NIC Rating: 0/5 Jan 26, 2019 22:36 Send this review to a friend
Sold mine after a year  Time owned: months
The 2 things I use the most are the internal tuner and cw mode and this radio fails in these areas. The internal tuner is practically useless and the relay is VERY VERY LOUD on cw mode.
THIS IS a low end, entry level radio and that's exactly what you get. SURE it's an SDR and employs direct sampling but guess what? SO WHAT? Half the owners of these radios don't even know what that is. I regret selling my pro3 to buy this radio but it was a good learning experience not to get caught up with all the hype.

MM0XXW Rating: 5/5 Jan 25, 2019 21:25 Send this review to a friend
Simply superb little radio ...  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
There is so much packed into this little radio that it's hard to narrow down any one particular thing that hasn't already been stated in previous reviews.
Bang for your hard earned $$$ is high to say the least.
I'm comparing this radio against such as the FT-1000MP, IC-746Pro, Icom 7410 & TenTec Orion.
The DSP & noise reduction settings help me hear things I haven't been able to for a while with the same antenna systems I've used with previous sets.
The internal tuner is fast and so quiet in operation that I wondered if it had worked!
The setting up needs to be done with the manual handy but once done can pretty much be left as they are and, of course, all can be saved to the SD card ready for your next session.
Do I have any gripes, well I'm still looking for one however so far I can't say I do ..... oh no wait a mo, the stock hand microphone sounds far better than my Heil ProSet iC go figure!
Currently in the UK they're selling at 1199/$1570 new but seeing them on the second-hand market at around 850/$1113 so well worth a shot either way!

So bottom line is simply would I buy another and I can categorically say absolutely without a doubt!

W1TAV Rating: 5/5 Jan 18, 2019 02:42 Send this review to a friend
First Impression, Nice rig!   Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Being primarily an AM operator, I have been enjoying The Flex 1500, 6300 and SDRPLAY as receivers for several years. The thought of a SDR transceiver had a lot of appeal to me. Over the years I have not been impressed with ICOM, primary due to what I call programming ergonomics and "yellowly" audio. My buying a new ICOM was going against some long held prejudices however after 3 days of playing, I have no regrets. It has been exceeding my expectations. I have found the operation to be very intuitive. Performance has been great. With in 10 minutes of coming out of the box, I had it set up for AM on 160, checking into a locale AM net. Best part was no one commented on the audio. It was perfectly acceptable. I have to say, it took a while to set my Kenwood 590 up for decent AM operation. I really like having a standalone SDR in this configuration. I'll refer to it as my hassle free SDR.

W8EDW Rating: 5/5 Jan 6, 2019 20:15 Send this review to a friend
Unbelievable Rig for any money!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought my rig when they had just been released. I paid the $1400. purchase price. I was a little reluctant to buy something that new and was worried about potential "bugs". Turns out, I like the rig so well that I would pay the $1400. again.
There has never been any kind of a glitch to the performance and I use the rig every day. I live in the city and have some ham buddies that live close and I have never had the "overload" problem that some of these guys talk about.
Go get one...YOU WON'T BE SORRY!

SQ5TSS Rating: 5/5 Dec 24, 2018 11:51 Send this review to a friend