Reviews Categories | Antennas: VHF/UHF+ Omnidirectional: verticals, mobile, etc | Diamond V2000 Antenna Help

Reviews Summary for Diamond V2000 Antenna
Diamond V2000 Antenna Reviews: 47 Average rating: 4.4/5 MSRP: $150 - $175 Average (2/2003)
Description: Tri band (6m/2m/70cm) omnidirectional base station antenna.

You can write your own review of the Diamond V2000 Antenna.

VE3PTC Rating: 5/5 May 29, 2019 23:22 Send this review to a friend
excellent  Time owned: more than 12 months
i bought this antenna at dayton hamfest back in 2001. its never been down for maintenance, the swr plots on 2m and 70cms are still the same!
gives great coverage.
from the get go, i noticed its only resonant in the fm part of 6m, which the manual clearly states. the one long radial rod, can be extended or retracted to lower your swr on 6m.
as a test, i made an extended radial, so the antenna would be resonant at 50.125 and this worked well. i have put it back to normal setting for fm part of the band, as i have a yagi for ssb.
great performance and longevity!

KF4ULD Rating: 2/5 Sep 11, 2018 23:19 Send this review to a friend
SWR too high where I operate  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I would have given this a poor had it not been for the great build quality. The SWR in the upper 70cm band was 1.9 and the upper 2M band was 1.8. I can't fault the install or feed line as it's on a pole above my chimney and fed with Andrews Heliax 5/8 hard line with low loss N connectors. It's been up for 2 days now and I've adjusted the 6M tuning radial thinking that would have a difference one way or another but it did not. 6M tunes as advertised and the SWR is around 1.3 in the lower portions of the aforementioned bands but 1.9 is entirely too high and is almost twice as high as their advertised highest stated SWR. I have an email into ham radio outlet and I'll give them some more time to even respond before I call them and ask for a return for credit or just swap me for the Comet GP-15. To be continued and/or updated based on HRO customer service and/or tuning suggestion.

W4DXL Rating: 5/5 Jan 17, 2017 12:46 Send this review to a friend
17+ Years in all kinds of Weather!  Time owned: more than 12 months
This is probably the most neglected part of my station simply because I'm not that fond of climbing up on the roof. Most of the time I forget it's there, it has been just that trouble free. in 1999 I installed it on a tripod mount on the roof and it's been there ever since. Not a great performer on 6 meters, just okay, really shines on 2 meters and 70cm. We get all kinds of weather here from 10 to 100 degrees, and some windy days too. Never a problem. If it broke tomorrow I'd still say that I got more than my money's worth from it. When it comes time to replace it, I'll buy another one just like it. I hope Diamond makes them as well now as they did back in 1999!

M0MCX Rating: 5/5 Dec 19, 2016 02:37 Send this review to a friend
10 years perfect high gain vertical  Time owned: more than 12 months
Lightning finally blew my V2000 a couple of months ago and I'm replacing with another Diamond, the X510N.

However, before I forget, I'd just like to say that this was an exceptional vertical antenna. It was bolted to the side of the house on a 20 foot aluminum scaffold tube, clearing the roof by around 10 feet.

Never missed a beat and I regularly ran 100W FM into it.

Even on SSB, when most other stations were horizontal, I still had a lot of fun.

Genuine Diamond antennas seem to be very fine aerials. Follow the instructions, help out the manufacturer by sealing the joints and you should be fine.

73. Callum, M0MCX

M1OOO Rating: 5/5 Feb 25, 2015 09:35 Send this review to a friend
BEST OF THE BUNCH  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have owned a DIAMOND V-2000 for around 10 years and I am impressed by the antenna's performance on all three bands. Yes - the 50MHz performance can be improved by replacing all 3 radials with extended-length radials - see mod here: http://ea4eoz.blogspot.co.uk/2012/09/modifications-to-diamond-v2000-and.html

In my opinion, the genuine DIAMOND V-2000 is the way to go if an omnidirectional tri-bander is reqired. There are less expensive (or should I say cheaper) copies on the market - but you get what you pay for! DIAMOND IS QUALITY. Why pay good money for a transceiver and then ruin its potential performance by using an inferior product that under-delivers?!

The ONLY beef I have is a weakness in the mounting structure which DIAMOND HAS NEVER ADDRESSED (shame on them) - the mounting architecture is reliant solely on ONE grub-screw at the base of the antenna. This grub-screw secures the WHOLE antenna to the short-length supplied tube which is, in turn, secured to the pole on which the whole antenna system is mounted. This is a weak point that will need rectifying by the user at some stage, so better to do so before first erecting. (Make some hacksaw cuts in the supplied, short-length tube and secure to the main antenna WITH A GOOD QUALITY STAINLESS STEEL JUBILEE CLIP. You won't regret it, and the whole installation becomes pretty well maintenance-free. SHAME ON DIAMOND FOR NOT RECTIFYING THIS EASILY-RECTIFIED PROBLEM.

It's great that DIAMOND refers to their gain figures in dBi - 2.15 dBi gain on 50 / 6.2 dBi on 144 / 8.4 dBi on 430. This equates to REAL-LIFE GAINS of 0 dBd gain on 50 / 4.05 dBd on 144 / 6.25 dBd on 430. dBd (real-world dipole) is 2.15 dB LESS than dBi (isotropic theoretical). Too many suppliers KNOWINGLY & FLAGRANTLY misrepresent these figures by quoting the HIGHER gain figures and just adding "dB" (without the "i" or "d") in order to mislead (con) purchasers into believing they are purchasing a higher gain antenna. So - come on suppliers, less of the con, and publish gain figures as dBd!!!

KI4WVZ Rating: 5/5 Feb 13, 2014 22:34 Send this review to a friend
I like it  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have had this antenna for a few days, and I thought it was going to be a bear to set up 6 meters... so easy a monkey could do it...
flat to 1.3 swr's on 2m and 70cm
center freq of 52.500 is flat swr's
1.3 at 50.000 and 1.2 at 54.000
can't ask for any better than that ...
I haven't made any contacts yet, but then there are very few in the area ...

W4KVW Rating: 4/5 Oct 30, 2013 18:42 Send this review to a friend
Does what it's suppose to do.  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Well I've owned & used the antenna since February 2011 & it has GREAT SWR on all 3 bands.It's not up very high but I will get it on the side of the tower one day or on a taller mast.I think the price is a bit high but at least it has worked for what I need it for so far.Beats having two or three antennas for what I use it for.

G4VVQ Rating: 5/5 Jun 9, 2013 17:07 Send this review to a friend
Good Performer  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Great antenna, works on 6 mts, 2 mts and 70cms, works as 1/2 wave on 6 mts, 2 x 5/8 wave on 2 mts, 4 x 5/8 wave on 70cms, I have used it quite a lot on 6 mts under sporadic E condition and have good reports back from the European Continent, Sweden, Portugal and Spain etc, it's quite costly but being Diamond well made, has 3 ground planes, adjustable one for 6 mts, which I left alone, power rating is 150 watts, I have tried 100 on ssb and no problems, vswr on all bands is good, can't think of anything bad to say about it, the joint in the middle is a bit loose, but not really a problem, works good on ground wave as well, it's performance is as good or better than other makes I have used..73 Fred g4vvq UK.

G7NTG Rating: 5/5 Oct 19, 2012 03:19 Send this review to a friend
Great Antenna!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
l bought myself a clone V-2000 (I WONT BE SPECIFIC AS TO MANUFACTURER BECAUSE THERE ARE MANY SUCH CLONES AVAILABLE IN THE UK AT ABOUT 80) which had a one piece fibreglass radome and a non-adjustable long radial. When l had assembled it l put it on top of a pole 7.5 metres above ground level and measured SWR on all three bands; 70cm band it was 2:1 at 433 Mhz, 2m band it was 1.7:1 at 145.5 Mhz and the 6m band it was 3:1 at 51.5 Mhz. All pretty bad! lt was as deaf as a post on 70cm and 2m although 6m was pretty good if l used an antenna tuner!
l took this antenna down and replaced it with a Diamond V-2000 which gave the following SWR readings when mounted in the same position.
70cm 1.1:1 at 433 Mhz, 2m 1.1:1 at 145.5 Mhz,
1.2:1 at 50.5 Mhz. This antenna stayed in place!
UHF is fantastic with lots of different repeaters on the same frequency coming up when using different CTCSS!
2m is really good and on 6m it performs the same as my homebrew 5/8 vertical whip.
THE ONLY DOWNSIDE TO THIS ANTENNA IS THAT THEY DID NOT INCLUDE FOUR METRES!!

M0MCX Rating: 5/5 Dec 22, 2011 05:41 Send this review to a friend
5 Years, 5 stars  Time owned: more than 12 months
Many of my club members "make do" with various random white stick co-linears for VHF, not realising the V2000 is a real beefy antenna which blows most others away. I have not had any of the issues or bad experiences that a small number of other people have spotted. I have low SWR across all of my 6, 2 and 70cms bands and fabulous gain. The feedpont of the antenna itself is about 10m (30+ feet) above ground, well away from anything other than the 20 foot aluminium pole that it's bolted to on the gable end of my house. I'm feeding with 25m of Westflex (UK low loss coax) and regularly open repeaters 100 miles away.

I rarely work 6m band but I have used it on both FM and SSB and even scored some DX however it's not a yagi so I only use it with similarly polarised, locally based hams.

I am considering upgrading to an X-510N not because I'm dissapointed in the V-2000, on the contrary. I'm upgrading to the higher gain BECAUSE I've been so impressed with the V2000.

I will absolutely keep my V2000 and may even re-install it alongside my X-510N. I'll be interested in observing any side-by-side differences in the long term.

73, Callum.