Reviews Categories | Transceivers: VHF/UHF+ Amateur Base/Mobile (non hand-held) | Yaesu Ftm-3100R Help

Reviews Summary for Yaesu Ftm-3100R
Yaesu Ftm-3100R Reviews: 7 Average rating: 4.0/5 MSRP: $$ 140.00
Description: 144 MHz 65 watt Fm rugged and compact mobile transceiver.

You can write your own review of the Yaesu Ftm-3100R.

N7AQQ Rating: 4/5 Jun 5, 2019 04:50 Send this review to a friend
Has some good features but noticed an issue  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Purchased a Yaesu FTM-3100R to install in a 2009 Ford Expedition. I like that they have included the home channel as an available function for the 4 microphone function buttons. That was a very good thought. As others have mentioned, the fan does indeed cycle off and on even when the unit is not transmitting...depending on environmental temperature. No problem in the mobile environment as far as I'm concerned, but I would hesitate to use it as a base station for the noise factor. However, I have noticed an issue with scanning on my unit. It seems a little flakey when trying to initiate preferential scanning of the memory channels. Seems to be difficult to get it to go into preferential scan instead of just regular memory scan. I can get it to do it, but sometimes it takes some fiddling with the particular starting channel and more than one try. And yes, I am aware that you have to start it on one of the "flagged" channels. Not sure if it is a global firmware issue, or just a little glitch with my particular radio.

WA3JRS Rating: 4/5 Oct 10, 2018 17:18 Send this review to a friend
Very good 2m value  Time owned: more than 12 months
Owned the FTM-3100r for 3 years. It is very well built - the unit is heavy, knobs feel solid, the case heat sinking seems adequate given the rear mounted fan. It does get quite hot on long transmits at Hi power (65W) but I've never had it shut down. As others have noted, the fan can be a bit annoying in the shack as it frequently cycles on/off, but it is unnoticeable in the car. The WX channels are a useful addition. Audio output is loud and clear enough to hear with the windows rolled down. Adjustable transmit audio output and high quality hand mic have yielded very good audio reports. Would be nice if Yaesu had added a Squelch knob (maybe concentric with the volume knob?) instead of the button - not a deal beaker for me. I like this radio a lot, especially for the price and would recommend for someone wanting a powerful, 2m-only workhorse.

DL7AT Rating: 2/5 Apr 29, 2017 10:54 Send this review to a friend
Fan noise  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Nice rugged 2m radio, buuut the reason I would not give a recommendation to buy this radio is the fan.
Itīs not noisier than other fans, but in stand-by mode the fan turns on and off all times ! I hope YAESU will offer a solution for this problem by a new software up-date soon ! Just 2/5 points, sorry!

K4TXI Rating: 5/5 Oct 29, 2016 20:29 Send this review to a friend
Great Radio  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have had very Good Results & compliments on my Audio sounds very good . Just had some band enhancement worked Simplex 150 plus miles away on high power 60 Watts is what mine Shows on my meters . Very good Radio & if familiar with the menu of the 2900r,1900r , 2800r Then This is the Radio for You & wont break the piggy Bank . I give it a True & Honest 5 all the way & would buy another one . Great Job Yaesu . 73's Todd

WD1W Rating: 4/5 Aug 31, 2016 16:44 Send this review to a friend
Did The Job ...  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Bought 2 of these for a trip from Vermont to Colorado. One went in a 12 year old Toyota Camry and the other in a U-Haul. We used them to communicate on simplex over the entire 2000 mile trip. Audio was excellent on both ... clear natural sounding voices. They stayed cool to the touch on low power. Only complaint is what seems as poor transmission distance. Couldn't copy each other if the distance of separation was over a mile. Not sure what's up with that. That's why the 4 as a rating. Otherwise, pleased with how they functioned. For the price ($119.95), what's there to complain about? Remember the days (mid 1990s) when a single band 2-meter radio cost $450? I do.

KN0JI Rating: 4/5 Aug 21, 2016 09:35 Send this review to a friend
Great radio, but acts like a BTech  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
The FTM-3100R seems to be a terrific transceiver, in that it has a great sound on receive and people report a clean, strong-sounding signal when I transmit. Its body shape and size reminds me of the FT-8800R.

There are three seeming drawbacks I'd like to mention, but I hope somebody can tell me why my point of view might be incorrect on these. First, it seems to have the same over-current issue that the BTech UV-5001 (and Icom IC-2720H, BTW) is notorious for, in that, on medium or high power, the transmitter attempts to draw so much current that the current-starved radio will turn off as soon as you press the PTT when the transceiver is powered by a less-than-perfect power source (12 Ah battery presenting 11.9 volts comes to mind.) I have a computer PSU that I've homebrewed into a ham PSU, and did a rather poor job (because I forgot to load the 5 volts with a power resistor.) When I transmit at 75 watts using my FT-2900R on that PSU, it runs normally, even when I try and over-deviate. When I attempt to transmit at medium (30 watts) or high (65 watts) power using my FTM-3100R on that same PSU, the transceiver powers off. This is exactly how my BTech UV-5001 and Icom IC-2720H behave on this same PSU and on an 11.9 volt, 12 Ah battery.

Second, the FTM-3100R has no squelch knob, so you need to get into the menu to adjust the setting incrementally, just like the BTech UV-5001 (and most Chinese transceivers, for that matter.) Most hams seem to not need this feature available on the front panel, but in my noisy environment, it's nice to have it handy.

Third, even though many of the menu selections look like those of the FT-2900R, the screen itself is smaller, and resembles the size, shape, and feel of the BTech UV-2501 and UV-5001 displays.

To be fair, I'll have to say that three advantages of the FTM-3100R over the FT-2900R are a cooling fan, its slightly lighter weight, and the front-mounted speaker, which I thought was a definite improvement. Strangely enough, the fan appears to be the same as that of the Icom IC-2720H. BTW, it uses the same microphone as the FT-2900R (MH-48).

So, does it work well as a transceiver? Yes, so far. But it's not the familiar FT-2900R I'm so used to.

W5GSR Rating: 5/5 Jul 14, 2016 22:45 Send this review to a friend
Great mobile radio so far  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Just got this radio to put in my truck, so far works great. I checked the transmit output power and on my meter showed Low = about 8 watts, med = was almost 40 watts and on hi = was about 65 watts. Not bad for a mobile radio.