Reviews Categories | Power Supplies | Astron SS-30/M Help

Reviews Summary for Astron SS-30/M
Astron SS-30/M Reviews: 93 Average rating: 4.0/5 MSRP: $120 to $160
Description: 30 Amp Switching Power Supply (SS-30M with meters) (SS-30 no meters)
More info: http://www.astroncorp.com/sps.shtml

You can write your own review of the Astron SS-30/M.

N4NYK Rating: 5/5 Sep 2, 2018 12:21 Send this review to a friend
Reliable Power Supply  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have had my SS-30M for 15 years and have used it in a variety of portable operations. I have also used it extensively at home. It's been used with several different 100W radios and on about all HF bands. It has never exhibited any problem.

K4LJM Rating: 5/5 Apr 12, 2018 17:39 Send this review to a friend
Great Product  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
The New Astron Power Supply is Top Shelf Quality. Maybe at some point they had problems but the product in production in 2018 can not be beat. I noticed others talking about the meters having problems, but that is a thing of the past. Meters are settled and very well lighted. If you want a solid Power Supply the Astron SS-30M is the one for you.

W5NM Rating: 4/5 Jan 4, 2018 09:17 Send this review to a friend
2nd Review  Time owned: more than 12 months
I reviewed the SS-30M about a year ago and I was not happy with the meter problem. Now my SS-30M started making a lot of noise down on 160 meters.
On the scope the output is clean with no load, but only an amp or two created large amounts of noise on 160. I like many others found that a
simple tightening of the screws on the circuit
board stopped this noise almost entirely. So keep that in mind. Also mine decides to change the voltage on its own. The voltage pot is way too narrow in its adjustment range for a stable
13.8 VDC output. Seems like someone could engineer a better adjustment. And of course the
voltmeter is virtually useless. It's accuracy is very poor. Come on Astron, you can do better.

Carmine W5NM

KE4WBS Rating: 5/5 Nov 23, 2017 16:50 Send this review to a friend
Dependable Power Supply  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have had mine for about 15 years great Powersupply has worked great over the years with various rigs has been dependable and it still is. The newer ones have lighted meters but I think with a small mod LED could be added..

SWMAN Rating: 5/5 Aug 18, 2017 16:35 Send this review to a friend
Great for me   Time owned: more than 12 months
I have had my SS-30M for 15 years now. No problems at all and no RFI anywhere. But it is strange that mine does not have any lights on it at all. Never has been any. I am getting ready to adding some.

KH6DC Rating: 0/5 Aug 18, 2017 11:33 Send this review to a friend
DIED  Time owned: more than 12 months
After 3 years of owning and using this PS, it is now a POS. Voltage dropped to less than 5 volts. I could open the cover and take a look to try and figure out a fix but threw it in the garbage.

N1MM Rating: 5/5 May 8, 2017 15:06 Send this review to a friend
Make sure you get the new one  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I bought an SS-30M from HRO and received it today. I was interested in the issue with the meter lamps that a number of owners have had. However looking at mine, it looked like it has LEDs, just from the whiteness of the glow. Then I noticed that front panel doesn't look like the one at the top of these reviews, nor even like the one currently on the Astron brochure. They appear to have shrunk the case from what it was and *probably* put LED lights in it.

The case is different in two respects. The on/off switch is to the left of the ammeter, but more importantly, the cutouts that permitted adding 4 powerpoles to the back panel are gone. You might still be able to put 4 powerpoles back there, but it would require removing the existing power connectors.

N5XJT Rating: 2/5 Sep 21, 2016 07:51 Send this review to a friend
Not up to Astron name  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Pros: No hash, reliable, compact size and fan is
very quiet.
Cons: Meters are incredibly inaccurate, meter lights failed early on, poor quality construction and voltage drop from 13.8 to 12.7 under any load. Rear panel connectors are terrible. For this price Astron could at least provide decent connectors.

K5JXH Rating: 3/5 Sep 20, 2016 10:03 Send this review to a friend
rehash.  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I discovered, one can NOT edit a post here after time passes, how odd, that is, things change!, as do tests get added....
as do models , revisions and years.!
FYI:
first you need to say what it's connected to.
12vdc runs lots of things,,, not all things are same.
on my ICOM7200, it has a bullet proof filter on the DC line, see that below.
if using it on a 1975 SB104, it's hopeless. as an appliance hookup, I had to modify my SB104, the first step was read the service bulletins, and bingo. they do just that. Noise filter updates. (I have the list)

on my SB104 I added a line choke, toroid, #46 for whopping $1 at mouser. qt1, covered on my sb104 page.
revision 2;below now, later the SS30 live test, version 3.
I have more than one SMPS, and have data sheets on them all now.(and linear's)
Most SMPS sheets are near useless... unlike the sheets for the long ago gone USA makers, ! long gone, sadly.

K5JXH Rating: 3/5 Sep 17, 2016 11:53 Send this review to a friend
okay,  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
the SS-30 will be better than the meter version.
If you try to find a datasheet in the Astrons.
oops? (nada)
Made at least from year 2000 to now.
SMPS
There home page has no real data sheet nor on ripple.
their linears are spec'd at 5mv ripple.!
to be fair, it complies with part B FCC,
and means...
the math....
that means it's, is 178 micro volts max, beats this FCC number. as do all the below too.
The spec for ripple is full load., by all makers.

That is p-p so is 63mv rms. noise max. SS-30 !
China owns this domain, 12v-30amps. complete.
research and I have many 12v supplies...
I then downloaded all specs on all china smps (this class) from Alibaba.com and from all in mouser.com.
We see like 20 choices, world wide, not a lot.
at spec. and SMPS only.
12v (adj) at 30amps.

My DATA IS: (20hz to 20mhz)
28 to 63mV rms all are, spec'd there,
every one results, I did my home work.
there is the full field, of SMPS . on noise.

the SS30 has an AC EMI line filter, with choke,
and is 65 micro volt to the AC line max. or less.
FCC regulates this too. this end.
Small that is, the AC line will eat that for breakfast.

last is direct RF radiated noise. (I dont know,but will soon..,tests. )

Solutions.
so don't set it on top the radio.
fact is, the FCC B class does not check
electromagnetic radiation, (transformer core outward.) (just RFI , 3 ways)
I have the schematic.
The year 2000 SS-30 has a huge output filter(pi)
3 series inductors, tuned to the chopper Fo.
and 4 huge electrolytic filters. (Pi like, low pass)
if you look at most SMPS made, its mostly better in this area than most.(parts and noise)
so what can you do?
plenty.
1: buy extra amps, to avoid overloading yours.
2: keep DC leads short, under 1meter, or 10 meters may fail. (the 1/12 wavelength rule)
3: keep it off the gear, don't stack it on the gear.
4: heavy gage wire. and no ammeters here.
5:Try the #43 fair-rite donuts(or coffin blocks with 3 turns of the DC line, both) 2mhz noise. (tell me yours>? scope it?)
6: buy an SMPS that is in metal box, not plastic only.
Faraday shields and all that....
7: avoid used SMPS. or relics,many were horrible.
8: avoid NOS, if the new ones are better,then new.
9; spend $300 on a linear PS.

or if got issues now?
Do tests to learn what is the noise signature.
frequency. levels...
location. exact.
line, or DC side.,or
radiated noise or conducted.? use a scope as noise sniffer, learn that.

my full review here, and will grow with radiation tests
later.

then with facts , the fix is super easy.

no lie the chopper inside is a very bad beast.(photos soon)
Keep it off the gear do not put it on the sides of your
gear. any of the 6 sides.
3feet away is about perfect.

They can work.