Reviews Categories | Amplifiers: RF Power - HF & HF+6M | ACOM-2100 Help

Reviews Summary for ACOM-2100
ACOM-2100 Reviews: 10 Average rating: 5.0/5 MSRP: $3500
Description: Acom 2100 - 1500W (continuous carrier, no mode limit). 2000W PEP 160 through 6m manual band change and tuning. 3 Antenna Outputs, 1x 4CX1000A final.
More info: http://www.acom-bg.com/products/amplifier/acom-a2100

You can write your own review of the ACOM-2100.

N7ABL Rating: 5/5 Jun 2, 2019 05:40 Send this review to a friend
A Real Thumper  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I join the previous reviewers with my praise for this rugged amp but there were some speed bumps:

1.) The transformer is so heavy that it requires separate packaging, bolted to a thick piece of scrap plywood. Before installing, one must ignore the instructions that state that the dealer installed the miniature jumpers that set the low current necessary to operate the tube's filament. I did not check the jumpers settings and could not get the amp to work. The dealer did not set the jumpers. Several telephone calls to the dealer gained me a new amp in exchange after which I reset the jumpers to their correct positions. Power flowed after my bad was corrected. One must also set the HV pins but these are larger, easier to see and clearly marked. I had a 240 VAC fixture installed in my radio room. The dealer wired the amp's plug. It all worked.
2.) On the air, this amp is splendid. The amp is more of a semi-automatic given its ease of tuning, described in its entirety on various websites. The amp will tolerate up to 3:1 SWR's without a tuner. Ease of tuning is a great feature as so many don't know how to tune an amp properly. The 4CX-1000A/8168 ceramic tetrode, originally designed and manufactured by Eimac, has a practical output of 1,630W per the manufacturer's data sheet as a clear PDF on line. Today's tube is a Chinese copy, made well. Replacements are available from RF Parts Co. who offers tubes of various prices based on condition (e.g., clean medical pullouts, more recent NOS, etc.)Absent over driving, the tubes have relatively long life. Apparently, some overdrive it, however. For good linearity I suppose some tune the amp at around 2,000W and then reduce the drive to generate but 1,500W or less so as to gain better linearity by reducing the drive, an acceptable practice provided one is using a dummy load but "everything to the right" makes little sense if one considers the minimal increase in dB at the risk of frying the rig. This amp doesn't need to be pushed.
3.) The amplifier employs a muffin fan on the intake, located on the back right side of the chassis. A robust squirrel fan pumps air throughout the RF deck and exits out a vertical stack on the left rear of the cabinet. The result is enough heat to roast an ox. Cozy in winter, it is not so fun in the summer. Fortunately, my radio room is cooled by a good air conditioner but the heat can be oppressive if one is not attentive to it. Fortunately, the exhaust temperature is measured and displayed upon the operator's need by the built in OLED meter information display. Despite the heat, the fan noise is minimal.
Acom is based in Bulgaria, a former Soviet bloc satellite country in part known for manufacturing high quality electronic communications equipment. While the old Svetlana amplifier tubes, mostly made in St. Petersburg, said to be copied from Eimac, are no longer readily available, adequate and probably those of better quality are on the market, made in China. How the evolving trade war and tariffs may affect availability is anyone's guess. I still rate this amp a five because it is robust, of good design, well constructed, enjoys good dealer and manufacturer's support, has an outstandingly simple tuning procedure and the problems noted were my fault but for the heat. Those who buy tube amplifiers know they are going to be hot; just a matter of how much. So, if you want a really well engineered and performing, powerful amplifier perhaps you will join me in the ranks of ownership of this fine product. Cheers de N7ABL, QRO but SK for now.

G8DX Rating: 5/5 Mar 2, 2019 19:26 Send this review to a friend
The best amplifier I've ever owned  Time owned: more than 12 months
Quiet, smooth, powerful, stylish and high quality.

Little else to say about this amplifier - I've owned and operated most tube amplifiers on the market from a Yaesu FLDX-2500 to an OM-4001A. This is the best overall package if you don't need automatic band-changing/tuning.

KB8O Rating: 5/5 Jan 22, 2019 22:31 Send this review to a friend
The best amplifier yet.  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have had many amps in the past from tube to solid state. The Acom 2100 by far is the quietest amplifier both in general fan noise and keying I have had. I find myself looking at the watt meter to make sure I took the amp off of standby. Easily does legal limit on all modes. Couldn't be happier with this amplifier.

N2DY Rating: 5/5 Jan 19, 2019 22:06 Send this review to a friend
Effortless Power  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
This amp can run at legal limit all day long. It is easily capable of 2,400 watts into a dummy load. Tuning is easy as can be. Internally it looks a lot like the excellent build quality of my Alpha 91B. As others have noted, these guys built the 91B for Alpha years ago. I guess they took that experience and applied it to their own designs. It has all sorts of protections for the amp for when you make mistakes, as I inevitably will. If you want a reliable, really well-made legal limit amplifier, stop looking. The 2100 is it.

ON7HLU Rating: 5/5 Jan 18, 2019 21:34 Send this review to a friend
Great amplifier and easy to tune  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
There is really nothing negative about this amplifier. If you are in the market for a manual tune kilowatt amplifier, the ACOM 2100 should be at the top of your list. If you buy this amp you will not regret it.give 2400W ;)

N4DCD Rating: 5/5 Jul 26, 2018 05:03 Send this review to a friend
Best amp around  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I have had many amps but only two Acom's. My last one was a Acom 1500 which was great, quiet and power output was good for 1450w at full input. I now have a Acom 2100 (after a few solid state amps) and I have to say, Acom did it again. FANTASTIC amplifier and hands down one of the best amp available. With a full drive I see over 2,000w output (into a dummy load) so doing legal limit is no problem at all... If you're looking for a great amp out of the gate, don't screw around, go get yourself a Acom 2100 and be done with it. Solid performer and top shelf build quality and engineering.

N9AOP Rating: 5/5 Jan 6, 2018 20:12 Send this review to a friend
Well Built  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have an ACOM 1000 for the last 2 years and use it for 2 hours a day all week. It works as it did when I bought it. I recently bought the 2100 from DXE. It comes in 2 boxes so you have to open it up to install the XFMR. Inside you can see the quality--like looking inside an ALPHA which isn't unusual since they made the ALPHA 91B a few years back. I wanted a quality legal limit amp and this definitely is it. Also it uses a currently manufactured tube.
Art

K1ZN Rating: 5/5 Jan 2, 2018 20:13 Send this review to a friend
An Outstanding Performer  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
The ACOM 2100 is fantastic. It tunes easily. It is built like a tank - very solid. When properly tuned, it is capable of 1500 Watts, plus.

HK3PJ Rating: 5/5 May 6, 2017 16:25 Send this review to a friend
GREAT AMPLIFIER  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have had the amplifier for one month. The ACOM 2100 arrived from Sofia in two hard boxes in perfect conditions. The transformer installation was easy and is well explained in the manual. I did it myself. The initials settings were confused because the explanations on the manual are not clear. ( LINE switch must be ON ).
It is very robust, with good components, professional manufacturing, very quiet and nice design. ( Others amps look pretty homebrewed with a lot of visible screws and ugly front panel ).
The operation is intuitive and tuning is simple and fast with the help of the TRI system.
When SWR is less than 3:1, no tuner is needed.
Their customer service in Bulgaria ( Val, LZ1VB ) is excellent and opportune.
2000 watts in SSB, 1500 in RTTY, CW and digital modes, no time limit. The model 2100 is an up grade of model 1500 with a bigger and heavier transformer.
I have been a Ham since 1.959, and owned many amplifiers. This one is by far the best.
It does everything as advertised. I recommend it without doubt.

RK3TD Rating: 5/5 Aug 17, 2016 03:12 Send this review to a friend
Quiet and Powerfull  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
For a long time I gazed at the low noise HF amplifier. First I wanted to try Ameritron with glass vacuum tubes, but Acom design won me over.

It is quiet, with the protections for all faults. It is heavy duty - 1500W carrier modes.