Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF: Verticals; Wire; Loop | MyAntennas EFHW-8010 antenna Help

Reviews Summary for MyAntennas EFHW-8010 antenna
MyAntennas EFHW-8010 antenna Reviews: 32 Average rating: 4.8/5 MSRP: $$139.99
Description: 130' End Fed Half Wave wire antenna for 80/40/30/20/17/15/12/10
More info: http://MyAntennas.com

You can write your own review of the MyAntennas EFHW-8010 antenna.

K7HG Rating: 5/5 Jun 14, 2019 18:40 Send this review to a friend
Nice basic antenna  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I hung mine as an Inverted V with the ends at 10' and the center about 20', using PVC plumbing pipe and their Mounting Kit. It all went together quickly and the quality was very good. I am seeing SWR about as their manual predicted. I will likely ground the feedpoint but I haven't yet. I did install a Common Mode Choke at the end of the coax and it made it quieter by an S-unit or two. I think it is a good product for the price.

W0BKR Rating: 3/5 Apr 15, 2019 18:27 Send this review to a friend
Not For Me sadly  Time owned: more than 12 months
I really wanted this to work mainly for low band, but in my set up with the tower and slopers, just too much interaction. Mounted 6 Ft up to the eave and then to a 25 foot pole about 25 feet from the nearest sloper, SWR was anywhere from 2.0 to 6.0 to one. I found my sloper heard signals much more (it is up higher and some of the signal strength is noise as all vertical antennas tend to be noisy). Moved to a different location again, not all that far from the existing wires and still no joy. So for me, just not going to work out in this arrangement. Hanging on to it though.

KB1HMJ Rating: 5/5 Feb 3, 2019 17:40 Send this review to a friend
A simple design and solid performer  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've had this antenna for a few years now and have been pleased. It is not a high altitude dipole or a Yagi on a tower, so it is a compromise in the situation for me, at least. Mine is up as an inverted-V. The vertex is up at 50 feet in the limbs of an oak tree. One end is attached to the feed at 20 feet. and the other end is 12 feet up some distance away. It has survived wind, rain, snow, ice, all the weather that New Hampshire can throw at it. I work mostly on 20m, 40m and 80m: no issues there and really do not need a tuner until the band edge is met on 80m. I can easily work on 17m and others as well, but I do not frequent those bands too much these days. Tuner? Not really needed, but I can use the rig's internal tuner easily enough. For those puzzling the operations of this wire antenna, it is like the classic half-wave, end fed Zepp of old. There are plenty of sites which describe how this works. For those with wires that break: MyAntennas will sell you replacement wires as a package... but you can also just go out and buy the proper length as needed, likely for a lot less money. Just a thought.

K5VVV Rating: 5/5 Jan 21, 2019 21:06 Send this review to a friend
Terrific antenna  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have two of these antennas. One runs from the East end of my lot up to my tower at the 32 foot level and then down to a tree near the front of my lot. The second antenna starts about 10 feet from the base of my tower up to the 32 foot level then to a tree at the east end of my lot then bends back toward the West and ends in a tree near the front of my house. I use the antennas with my Kenwood TS820 running 100 watts out. SWR is as advertised. Most of my activity is on 20 and 40. I have worked all continents using these antennas. I can usually work whatever I can hear. The antennas survived Hurricane Harvey. I am very pleased with their performance.

K5BEZ Rating: 5/5 Jan 20, 2019 20:12 Send this review to a friend
Great Antenna!  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
This is my first use of an end-fed antenna after 25 years of using G5RV's, Dipoles, Bobtail Half-curtains, ETC.
After moving to a new QTH last winter, I decided against putting a tower for now (although I have plenty of room). After doing a lot of research on the web and looking at all the great reviews on eHam.net,I decided to order the EFHW 8010 from myantennas.The box is mounted to the facia board on my house (about 8') and a ground wire goes to the ground and is hooked to a ground rod.From there it goes south about 30-40' up across the branch of a big mesquite tree in my yard (about 30'high) then turns west for the remaining length of the wire and is about 10' off the ground.
My TS-480SAT loves this antenna. I do not need to use the tuner on most freqs.
I have worked all over CONUS, Canada, the Caribbean, South America and have worked Japan twice...all on PSK running 30 watts.
No, this is not a 3-element Tri-banded at 100', but this is really an outstanding setup.

WA4LJJ Rating: 5/5 Jan 4, 2019 15:28 Send this review to a friend
A good all band antenna.  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This antenna is exactly as advertised and is the best wire antenna I've ever used. But when I ordered it, I carelessly overlooked the I.C.A.S. on the rating. I saw only the "1 KW" part so I assumed the 3-400 watts I normally run on CW would be ok. But after using it for 2 weeks, I ordered the higher power, 2KW model. Upon receiving it, the switch was quick and easy. I found for most bands my tuner wasn't needed, however I use it anyway. For me, the I.C.A.S. rating was/is confusing. Danny produces an excellent product, well made and quickly shipped. My only ISSUE with it is that I think the advertisement should read something like "Rated for 2-300 Watts CW. (INTERMITTENTLY)" But I think that is what the I.C.A.S. means anyway. Anyway, I highly recommend this antenna.

K4IIE Rating: 5/5 Nov 13, 2018 00:55 Send this review to a friend
Second antenna  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This is my second antenna.Feedpoint is at 5 ft. and end at 80 ft,with no ground.No tuner needed from 80-12M.Only need it on 10 where the swr is 3:1.On 75/80 no tuner needed on any frequency.Comparing it to my ocf inv. V dipole at 70 ft.,signal reports have been almost identical,both local and dx.A great antenna!

VE3FZ Rating: 5/5 Nov 5, 2018 15:45 Send this review to a friend
Excellent  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I live in a condo townhouse and needed a fairly stealthy antenna. I ordered an EFHW-8010 and put it up with the feedpoint at 16 feet rising across some trees to 20 - 25 feet in November 2017. I also used their common mode choke at the feedpoint which is grounded.The SWR is quite low and the IC 7300 tuner takes care of it so instant bandswitching 80 to 10.

My rating is results based - in the past 12 months 109 countries confirmed, WAS on various modes all while using 100 watts or less. I have had no issues with RFI.

Considering the lousy conditions and low elevation I am very satisfied.

The build quality is excellent as well.

Al VE3FZ

NO9E Rating: 5/5 Oct 29, 2018 14:05 Send this review to a friend
Good SWR, performance depends on geometry  Time owned: more than 12 months
EFHW is a special way of feeding wire from the end. Whatever way it is set up, SWR is usually < 2:1 on most bands from 80 to 10 (slightly higher on 30m), well within built-in antenna tuners, and the high power version withstands KW easily. On high power it needs a balun at the end of coax or the amp may be hot to touch. A few turns around a ferrite toroid may be enough.

The actual performance depends on geometry. Think of it as a 40m long dipole. High will be better, low will be worse, inv V will be in the middle. On higher bands lots of lobes. When mostly vertical, high lobes on higher bands.

All in all, a remarkable way of feeding a multiband dipole. With performance on the air depending on how it is set up.

N7TB Rating: 5/5 Oct 28, 2018 20:39 Send this review to a friend
Now own 3 of these  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought my first Myantennas EFHW 80-10 antenna on the recommendation of a friend. The matching unit was at the 7ft. ht. of my house wall sloping up to a tree at 40ft. then horizontally at 40 ft. This was a temporary setup at my vacation home in WA. I was very pleased over my previous end fed random length antenna. I was able to work some DX CW from my location in WA, and many contacts around the US on 40 in the evenings with 20 meter ops during the day.

When my new home was built in Salem, OR, I put the matching unit on my tower at the 10 ft. level, then using a pulley, the wire goes up 35 Ft. then diagonally across my yard to a tree in the neighbors yard at the 40 ft. level. The antenna then drops vertically about 30ft.

This is my go to antenna for 80,40,and 30 Meters. I use an ATU with my KX3 and KXPA100 so I can't comment on how the SWR is. I know that if I can hear them, I usually can work them.

This summer I bought another 80-10EFHW. I cut it in half so that I did not have to hang 130 ft. out of a tree in the back country of AK. I used it as a 40-10 EFHW. I put connectors on the end segments so I could join them together again for 80-10 use later.

The antenna matching unit was 5 ft. above the ground sloping up 40 ft. into a birch tree with the rest of the wire vertical.

I was operating my KX2 on 10 watts. I was able to make contacts on 40 in the evening (fishing during the day) into the Pacific Nortwest. The highlight of my operating was to make CW contact with my friend in a wilderness area in NE Oregon from the cabin in AK. We were both operating 10W!

When I use our RV, I use a 31ft. Jackite pole with this antenna. I used it recently as the 40-10 EFHW with the antenna as an inverted V using the Jackkite, then later as an end fed sloper. I attached a counterpoise to the gnd connection and was able to work 80 meter successfully to folks in the Pacific Northwest on 10 Watts.

On my last RV trip I was able to connect both sections of the antenna and operate it as an 80-10 antenna. Again made some contacts in the Pacific Northwest on 10 watts. If I had had my 100W rig, I would have had more success.

I recently purchased my third 80-10 EFHW to install permanently at my vacation home in WA.

The key to making this antenna work well is to get some elevation. It will never compare on the upper bands to my Mosley TA33 JR WARC that is 35 ft. up on my tower, but for versatility, ease of setup, this antenna simply works.

For RV ops, I can lash the Jackite pole to my rear ladder, run the antenna up 31 ft, and sloper for 34 ft. and have a 40-10 antenna up quickly and with counterpoise 80-10. Most RV sites are limited in size, so this configuration is easy. I connect the matching unit to my rig with RG-8X and run the wire along the ground then through my passenger door on my motor home and the rubber flashing around the door holds the wire without crushing it when the door closes.

I am looking forward to using this antenna when the band conditions improve.

73's,