Reviews Categories | Antenna Analyzers | RigExpert AA-55 Zoom Help

Reviews Summary for RigExpert AA-55 Zoom
RigExpert AA-55 Zoom Reviews: 11 Average rating: 4.8/5 MSRP: $$399
Description: Graphic antenna and cable analyzer. The analyzer is
designed for measuring SWR (standing wave ratio), return
loss, cable loss, as well as other parameters of cable
and antenna systems in the range of 60 kHz to 55 MHz.
Color display and USB interface to AntScope software.
More info: http://https://www.rigexpert.com/index?s=aa55zoom

You can write your own review of the RigExpert AA-55 Zoom.

K5GS Rating: 5/5 Nov 22, 2018 14:16 Send this review to a friend
A Must Have Tool  Time owned: more than 12 months
We had 2 AA-55 Zoom antenna analyzers on VP6D Ducie Island DX-pedition. The CW and SSB campsites were just over a kilometer apart, separated by dense jungle, each camp had a AA-55 Zoom.

One team member brought along his MFJ-259B which failed when he tried to use it to troubleshoot a problem. Within a few minutes the AA-55 told him what the problem was, a quick repair was made.

We also used a Rig Expert analyzer on TX3X Chesterfield Reef DX-pedition where we encountered serious problems with our 40 meter antennas. The analyzer enabled us to completely disassemble the antennas and adjust them for a crushed coral uneven base vs. flat solid ground.

An indispensable piece of test equipment for anyone who builds, tunes or repairs antennas. Will save you countless hours of guesswork and tinkering.

W1ADE Rating: 5/5 Oct 22, 2018 02:23 Send this review to a friend
Great gear!   Time owned: 0 to 3 months
--for a great online video review look up W2AEW's video at the usual place. He does a great review. SWR to air works great, might not have tried without being familiarized by Alan's video.

The true magnificence of this box can only be fully understood by those who toiled with any MFJ-type.

Battery door-no tools, wait--how many?! Lovely.

Works absolutely wonderfully for the multi-banders I'm building and tuning now (half-wave, fed on end) as well as my mobile installations, or anything you'll want to run RF through!

Simple manual, nearly unnecessary. But there again-10x better than any MFJ "manual" I've ever seen.

I'm not a hater, not a make/model/style critic. I've had good service from most MFJ gear I've owned through the years, because what works works--but RigExpert smashed the competition with this one - in my book.

Hey mine had a Memory Function Glitch. It'd lock up the system any time the 4th memory was pre-selected (could not scroll to or past). Required
battery removal to shut down and reset. Then I found "erase all memories" function in the menus. Cleared the mems, no more problems. No big whoop.

WA8EBM Rating: 4/5 Sep 23, 2018 12:04 Send this review to a friend
One Problem  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Does everything you could want up to 6 meters except work in direct sunlight. I have tried all the settings and it is virtually unusable in the sun.
On sunny days I have gone back to my AA-200, which I finally repaired with a new preamp chip.

KA2OFM Rating: 5/5 Jun 25, 2018 00:47 Send this review to a friend
Super Antenna Analyzer  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Purchased a AA-55 Zoom at Dayton. This Analyzer was more than I expected. Its a MUST HAVE TOOL for every ham

N4MIT Rating: 5/5 May 5, 2018 19:25 Send this review to a friend
I love mine  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Every ham should have one of these analyzers in their tool bag. I replaced my MFJ259B with the Rig Expert AA-55 Zoom and I have no regrets at all.

W2AEW Rating: 5/5 Mar 30, 2018 11:45 Send this review to a friend
Excellent Antenna & Cable analyzer  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Very easy to use, with a variety of helpful functions for both basic antenna analysis/tuning, to complex impedance measurements and cable measurements for the experimenter. My comments are fully contained in this video that I produced:

WK0P Rating: 5/5 Oct 27, 2017 14:17 Send this review to a friend
Very Pleased  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Being more of a ham operator and not so great on the technical side I bought one of these to go along with my Steppir Crank-IR.

Makes tuning a breeze.

Great display, easy to use (even for a guy like me) and would recommend this product to others.

N3XKB Rating: 4/5 Apr 4, 2017 09:36 Send this review to a friend
Pretty okay for the money  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I bought this over a MiniVNA because I didn't want to haul around a laptop to take measurements, it was in my toy budget, I needed it NOW, and I didn't need to go above 6 meters on that project.

The unit is limited to 100 data points collection. This results in a very low resolution graph if you're scanning the whole band. This can present a very misleading view of your antenna.

The work around is to limit the scan to the bands, perhaps with a little bit of the spectrum on either side of the band you're scanning.

The original firmware lets you choose the number of points collected and happily ignores your setting. I talked to the company and they got me a firmware patch yesterday. I am very impressed that they listen to customers. This is why I'm rating them a 4 instead of a 3. The firmware update simply removed the choice of resolution. It really is limited to 100 points.

This only matters if you're saving data for later use, which is what I was doing at a remote antenna site. Got home and wasn't happy with the graphs on the screen. It's not a huge deal, but if I had known this before the purchase, I would've definitely gotten the MiniVNA that goes to 3GHz and either dragged a laptop along or interfaced it with my cellphone (yep, you can do that).

This is the 2nd RigExpert hand held I've used and both feel about the same in the hand. Not hefty. Light weight. They don't convey that quality feel, but they sure as heck work and are great for the money and beat dragging around a rack mount Agilent for some work.

The company is very responsive to bug reports. Major bonus points to them for this.

If you need more than 100 points for a scan, bring your laptop with you. You can set this up over 1000 points without any problem. The software running on the laptop/computer must be dividing up the portion of the spectrum and scanning each, none exceeding 100 points, then concatenating the data into a seamless set.

Overall I'm happy with the unit and extremely happy with the customer service.

W9AC Rating: 5/5 Jan 5, 2017 18:46 Send this review to a friend
Great Product  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
The AA-55 Zoom and AA-230 Zoom are outstanding complex impedance analyzers. For several years, I had been using the Array 2180 and N2PK VNAs for antenna and network measurements. These are both excellent devices, but I wanted an analyzer that could be easily dragged out into the field and not bring a tablet PC and battery supply. For outdoor field measurements, it's rare that a 2-port VNA is ever needed.

Both Zoom units have a deep color display, with the 55 Zoom's display being slightly larger. These analyzers fit comfortably and can be controlled with one hand.

Some of the Zoom attributes I like:

- Color LCD Display readable in sunlight
- OSL calibration (you must purchase your own OSL loads)
- Very intuitive menu without a lot of layers
- PC interface and companion software for greater measurement detail that can be saved and/or printed once you bring the unit inside and attach to a PC
- Multiple memories
- TDR, cable length, and stub tune testing
- Smith chart mode
- Multiple parameter mode to simultaneously view all complex Z, SWR and return loss
- Long battery life

The 55 Zoom has a reasonably high output level near +10 dBm and is great for taking measurements in the presence of strong AM broadcast stations when sweeping 160m systems. That and an extremely narrowband detector allow for accurate sweeps through the broadcast band with little detection of the broadcast station's carrier in the sweep.

If you're analyzing only HF systems through 6m, the 55 Zoom is THE handheld analyzer for the job. If you need measurements through 220 MHz, then the 230 Zoom is an excellent choice.

Paul, W9AC

N3HEE Rating: 5/5 Dec 29, 2016 05:34 Send this review to a friend
Very Good !  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I got one of these for Christmas. It is a new analyzer for Rig Expert with improvements over the AA-230 Zoom. I did not need the extended frequency range of the 230 so this was perfect for me. It has a beautiful large crisp and clear color display. Very intuitive to operate. The one button stub tuning tool makes tuning coax stubs a breeze ! Time will tell how durable and reliable this analyzer is.