Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF: Verticals; Wire; Loop | Myantennas EFHW-8010-2K Help

Reviews Summary for Myantennas EFHW-8010-2K
Myantennas EFHW-8010-2K Reviews: 6 Average rating: 5.0/5 MSRP: $169.99
Description: Half wave, end fed, multiband antenna rated for 2KW ICAS. Length 130 feet.
More info: http://myantennas.com/wp/product/efhw-8010-2k/

You can write your own review of the Myantennas EFHW-8010-2K .

K8DXX Rating: 5/5 Dec 13, 2018 05:08 Send this review to a friend
Very Good  Time owned: more than 12 months
Well, I started out last year with an EFHW-40-102K. It worked well but subjected my shack to a lot of RF (despite 2 ground rods and one of the manufacturer's line isolators). Still it was a well performing stealth antenna. Over the summer at our Florida QTH, a storm broke the 2 inch branch, leaving the wire in our back yard. The lawn service crew soon cut it up real good!

Upon returning to Florida, I found a better branch (8 inches thick) that was 140 feet away. I opted to upgrade to the 130 foot 14 gauge wire from Danny and just got it up today. SWR is about what you'd expect; nothing that an internal antenna matcher can't deal with. 3700-1.6:1. All of 40 essentially flat. 20 about 2.1:1. 17 FLAT. 15 about 2.5:1 and 10 resonates best high in the band. The antenna itself is 8 feet at the feed point and 40 feet at the far end. This time, NO RFI, probably because it is angled perpendicular to the house. Anyway...

I am looking forward to many hours of fun hamming this winter I think I'll do myself a favor by taking it down before heading back to Michigan in May!.

Performance seems good. Running 100 watts, had a nice QSO with guys in Ohio and Michigan. On 40 during the afternoon running 600 watts, worked a lot of the eastern US. 20 sounds promising. I have heard signals in 17 but have not pursued any.

As usual, service/delivery time were good.

KI5FJ Rating: 5/5 Nov 4, 2018 14:11 Send this review to a friend
Performance os Advertised  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Transformer up 5 Ft on a fence, ground terminal connected to Earth stake. Lightning gas tube discharge and Common Mode Choke to 100 Ft LMR-400.Inverted-L shape horizontal wire up 25 Ft.
DX worked:
20-Meters:RA3,LY5,ZS4,G3;
40-Meters: I3,HB9,HA1,VK1,VK2;
80-Meters: EA1,EA4,EA7,G0;
17-Meters: F1,F6,F8,HB9,IS0,IK2,S56,KG4;
This antenna compliments my 43 Ft Vertical.
73 Joe O, K I 5 F J,NNNN

KE4HGP Rating: 5/5 Sep 18, 2018 05:10 Send this review to a friend
A+ So far  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Great Antenna for something that's pretty much plug n play.SWR's seem fine and TX/RX is good.No complaint's so far.

K7NA Rating: 5/5 Jun 16, 2018 13:54 Send this review to a friend
Good Low Profile Solution That Works!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
A move to a new home on Whidbey Island (WA) with a nice water view and a desire not to sully that view with antennas prompted me to not build home brew but to look for something low profile that might work well. I appear to have found it in the 2KW EFHW wire antenna with upgraded #14 wire. Mine is up as a horizontal flattop 82 feet at the match box end and about 65 feet at the far end. I feed it with 125 feet of RG8X to a MyAntennas CMC130-3K RF choke, followed by a connection to a nearby ground rod and an Ameritron remote antenna switch. From the switch, another 100 feet of RG213 brings the antenna to my LDG AT1000ProII tuner in the shack. I feed a maximum of 500 watts to the antenna. On many of the bands, the SWR is quite low and the tuner is placed in ďbypassĒ mode. For example, the SWR is about 1.2:1 at 3690kc, which is great because I tend to operate CW mostly with some SSB work in the low end of the phone band. The SWR on 40 meters is 1.1:1 at 7120kc and allows full band coverage without the tuner. On 30 meters, the SWR is at its highest at 2.7:1 but the tuner easily takes care of it. On 20 meters, the antenna resonates up in the high end of the phone band and since I only operate the CW band, I need to use the tuner. Iíve experience no issues with toroid transformer heating at full power. The antenna appears to ďhearĒ well and Iíve worked plenty of DX on 20 and 40 meters so far. Of course, the height above ground has a lot to do with that. The antenna appears well constructed of quality materials and should last a long time. The flat black color of the wire blends easily into the background clutter and the XYL hasnít noticed it. Iíve experienced no issues of common mode currents in the feedline such as hot mic, audio distortion, excessive noise pickup, etc. Perhaps the MyAntennas choke is to be thanked for that. This has resulted in a really usable, solid installation of an all band antenna that is XYL approved and should last a long time.

KUFBASS Rating: 5/5 Jan 26, 2018 18:23 Send this review to a friend
Great antenna!!!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
My original antenna was a EFHW-8010-1K. I had upgraded my amplifier from a Heathkit SB-201 to a Heathkit SB-220. So I upgraded to the EFHW-8010-2K to handle the 1100+ watts on SSB. I have the balun box on a pipe around 6 feet off the ground. Then run up to my attic window, around 40'feet up. Then run the rest of line to a 25'flag pole. So it is set up as a inverted L. Middle of antenna wire is about 30'-35' high. I worked 40-meter today a good bit. Then went outside to feel if the balun got warm. Not warm at all. Was very cool. Got very good contacts also with this. I did get the upgrade to 14guage wire. All in all if you are going to put out around or over a 1k watts on SSB, get this antenna. You will not regret it. I am not sure how well it does with CW, or RTTY. I only like voice communication.

N4LQ Rating: 5/5 Dec 29, 2016 12:07 Send this review to a friend
Wave of the Future  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
My matching box is at 55' with the far end at 35 feet. I am feeding it with LMR-600 (big stuff).
Performance is as good or better than my doublet fed with ladder line an tuner. I like this antenna because the swr is either low enough to not need the tuner or just a bit of tuning is needed to make the rig happy. The highest swr is on 30 meters, 2.5 - 1, easily tuned by the rig's internal tuner. Although the swr is high on 60 meters and 160 meters my autotuner - MFJ-998 easily matches the thing and I get plenty of QSOs. Yes I know it's not supposed to work there but it does and doesn't get hot.
With my old doublet, tuning was tricky and the auto tuner often complained especially if I tried to use a balun. Now with this new design it's a breeze to tune.
My only concern is the power rating. The 2kw ICAS really doesn't tell you much. I would never try running RTTY or any higher duty cycle mode with 2KW. With SSB you have no worries. The voltage at the end of this antenna would probably scare Tesla! In spite of the fact that CW is an off/on mode it still has a much higher duty cycle than SSB. I run 500 watts CW here. If I get involved in a long winded, high speed CW qso, the transformer will warm up but only on 80 meters.
I added about 6 feet of wire to the end and brought the swr down on 80. In fact, it seems that the higher you install this antenna, the longer it needs to be. Doing this has lowered the swr on all bands and solved the 80 meter heat problem. I still think there is room for improvement on the lowest band. If you didn't care to go higher than 30 meters you could consider his MEF-110HP-2K. I have not tried that product but it might handle power better on 80.
What's inside the magic box? Well I opened it up and found a stack of three 240 cores wound as an auto transformer. This design seems more popular in Europe an is catching on here. The impedance ratio is around 50:1. The cores have no coating or tape for protection and they are fastened down with a couple of wire ties. My wire ties were melted from all the 80 meter abuse. I replaced them. The inside of the box was very wet. There are two tiny weep holes in the bottom but these aren't doing the job. Warm transformers and cold air result in condensation. Some corrosion had already begun on the coax connector and solder. Somehow more ventilation is needed. I bored two large holes in the bottom and put some fiber mesh over them but really it needs more than this. I doubt if the power loss exceeds 10% on 80m with a higher SWR but with 500 watts that's 50 watts and the temperature can get pretty high inside. Don't be too concerned about a bit of loss. With my doublet running high power, the tuner and a balun would also get warm on the lower bands due to common mode current and antenna unbalance.
I have no signs of RFI anywhere. I'm using about 150 feet of LMR-600. The only ground is at the shack entry point. Keep in mind that line-chokes only work where there is current on the outer shield of the coax and the location of the current varies with the frequency. A choke mite work on one band at some point along the way but not on others. So far I haven't heard of any major concerns with RFI. I do intend to improve the grounding out closer to the antenna but mainly for lightning protection.
As for performance.... It's just wire and all the old rules apply. The higher the better as they say. Mounting the box low to the ground and running the wire high in a tree results in a high angle pattern. It's probably the worst way to install it but also the most common. Putting the box high in the tree and sloping the wire yields a low angle in the sloped direction. Putting it high and level is preferred if possible.
If you have been messing with end fed antennas you may have noticed the popular 9:1 unun method of feeding some odd length of wire. In fact, I have one up now at 117 feet long. It's way down in performance compared to the EFHW. It makes me wonder where all the power is going with those 9:1 jobs! I do not recommend the 9:1 design.
Price...Well $170 seems like a lot of money but compared to some if the multiband verticals it's dirt cheap. Look at a Butternut... $600 for a bit of aluminum and you still have to have radials then fiddle with tuning.
You won't find much in the theory books about this design. Most of what you can find on the web is QRP and uses extra coils with limitations on frequency. Myantennas has come up with a way to pack it all in one box. Hopefully Danny will continue to experiment and come out with even better products. What I would like to see is a 160-10 meter antenna only 130' long with a loading coil for 160 and improved power handling plus a better built box with better ventilation for moisture. The reason I dubbed this as "Wave of the Future" is because of the auto-transformer providing a high impedance to drive the antenna at the end. This isn't an "unun". It's a broadband auto- transformer and a first for the market. Others will soon follow. It goes well with my IC-7300, another wave of the future.