Reviews Categories | Transceivers: VHF/UHF+ Amateur Hand-held | Yaesu FT-65R Help

Reviews Summary for Yaesu FT-65R
Yaesu FT-65R Reviews: 33 Average rating: 3.7/5 MSRP: $$169
Description: The FT-65R is a very compact, ruggedly constructed
Handheld VHF/UHF with three selectable power settings 5W
/ 2.5W / .5W allowing each user to select the power they
need. The big front speaker provides a full 1 watt of
crisp, clear audio quality. The unit comes supplied with
a 1950mAh Li-ion battery pack capable of over 9 hours of
operation, with an optional higher capacity 2500mAh Li-
ion battery for over 11.5 hours of operating time. A 2.5
hour rapid charger comes standard, making the transceiver
ready to operate at any time. Our newly designed large
white LED displays are vibrant and highly visible. Four
Quick Recall Keys (QRK) are user programmable to
instantly recall favorite channels with just the push of
a button. VOX operation is available with the optional
Earpiece Microphone SSM-512B. Other useful features
included: versatile scanning capabilities such as
Programmable VFO Scan, Memory Scan, Priority Channel
Scan, and Weather Alert Scan, WX Channels with "Severe
Weather" Alert, PC Programming, Transceiver-to-
Transceiver Cloning, FM Broadcast Receiver, Automatic
Range Transponder System (ARTS), CTCSS/ DCS Operation,
Busy Channel Lockout (BLCO), Automatic Power Off feature,
and Transmitter Time Out Timer (TOT).
More info: http://yaesu.com/indexVS.cfm?cmd=DisplayProducts&ProdCatID=111&encProdID=79E6683CC766565D2CB197C293AB6219&DivisionID=65&isArchived=0

You can write your own review of the Yaesu FT-65R.

KZ4ZK Rating: 4/5 Sep 9, 2019 22:16 Send this review to a friend
Great for the money  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Seems to do everything advertised. I've had no issues with this radio. I wonder if anyone has tried the Motorola 4013 speaker mic on this radio.....it has the same 2 pin set up.

K6GBW Rating: 2/5 Jul 31, 2019 04:30 Send this review to a friend
DOA  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
First new HT in several years. I was kind of excited to get it programmed. I charged it and powered it on to find the display would light up but there was no digits or other information visible at all. I tried a hard reset to no avail. No amount of tinkering could get the display to show anything at all. Back to the dealer it goes. Will get a replacement and see what happens. Physically, I like the size and overall design and feel so I'm giving it a second chance.

W5CRY Rating: 4/5 Jul 28, 2019 21:31 Send this review to a friend
Reasonable for the price  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This HT has reasonable performance for the price, IMO.
The only issue encountered was the manual could be written better.
Especially in regards to repeater use, requires three (s) steps not discussed clearly in the manual to set up.
Menu 8 CTCSS Tone = As required.
Menu 24 Automatic Repeater Shift = On
Menu 29 SQL Type = T-Tone
So far pleased with the operation of the transceiver.

KE8LWB Rating: 4/5 Apr 15, 2019 01:06 Send this review to a friend
Great Radio to Start Out!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I recently just earned my ham radio license, and am pretty excited to get on the air. Soon after obtaining my license, I purchased the FT 65 from Yaesu for about $90. I also purchased the SCU-35 programming cable for it. So far, I have enjoyed the radio. It is a great size, it fits well in your hand, its got a nice feeling weight to it, and its not too big, or too small. The case is plastic, but feels sturdy. The buttons are easy to push, and the menu is well laid out, and easy to get a grasp of. One thing that I have had trouble with is programming with a PC. Using the free software (Downloaded from Yaesu) I have been unable to connect the radio to the computer. I managed to get it to connect with Chirp, but I'm still suprised the designated manufacturer's software has not been sufficient. Either way, I don't really have enough channels to NEED to program with a PC yet. The provided rubber ducky antenna seems to work fine, although I think I will be purchasing a whip antenna to get better reception. Overall, I've had a great experience, I think it is easy to setup and use, I only gave it a 4 because of the programming issue.

KC1HRC Rating: 3/5 Mar 8, 2019 04:06 Send this review to a friend
Ok but not great!  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
NOTICE! This is not a full, comprehensive review of this radio! It only highlights certain aspects that some might find useful.

Let me first say that I like Yaesu products. The warranty is 3 years currently and I have needed to use the warranty on two Yaesu radios so far. Saying THAT, I have certain criteria I would rather have in an HT transceiver. I'm not a fan of menus but I understand that there is only so much room to put buttons on these little radios these days. One of my biggest issues with usability of this radio is the lack of a continuously variable squelch adjustment. It seems that most newer HT's have menu based squelch adjustments, I'm just NOT a fan. On the other hand, I like the full backlighted keypad and display. LED lighting has really made a great impact on many small products.

My biggest issue with this HT was when I tried powering it on one day and it wouldn't! I tried with it on the charger, charging the battery, pushing certain buttons etc. but still, it wouldn't turn on. So I sent the radio to Yaesu in California for service, hoping it would be covered under warranty.

I just received a service invoice that showed a "main system board" replacement. It was covered under warranty and it is in transit to me at Yaesu's expense. Yaesu service is great but my concern is that the main system board failed. This is the second radio I had to send back for service but both have been covered under warranty at no expense to me other than the shipping costs to send the radio to California from Connecticut. Yaesu will not reimburse for shipping costs to send the radio to them. I should get the radio in a few days.

Now, the radio I'm describing next as comparison to all others is the Standard C528a. This radio is one I bought new and in hind site is an HT gold standard others a judged by, well, in my opinion! I don't have the radio now but I wish I still had it. I miss it. I wouldn't even both to search for another HT if I still had the 528.

Anyway, that's my experience an my 2 1/2 cents worth.

Best regards and 73',
KC1HRC

N9SD Rating: 5/5 Dec 11, 2018 18:29 Send this review to a friend
Followup  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
A followup on my first review - our family was taking a trip over thanksgiving. I had the FT65 in my car, my son-in-law had a Baofeng in his car. He had to turn his Baofeng OFF because of all the random crap it was picking up around cell towers, other sources. The FT65 was silent - no noise at all. We turned PL on for both radios and of course all was well then. This really speaks to the superior front end rejection in the Yaesu.

K7ZX Rating: 4/5 Oct 18, 2018 06:42 Send this review to a friend
My Second Review  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
My first review was a bit premature, as I had not had time to master all the settings that are provided. My main complaint was about the receive audio distortion. I had selected "NFM," which only gives 2.5 KHz deviation. The normal 5 KHz deviation caused severe distortion with the narrower bandwidth! When I switched from NFM to WFM the problem disappeared.

The receiver is very sensitive, but it is NOT bullet-proof. In an the presence of very strong signals it will cave in, and you will hear stations which are off frequency from where the radio is tuned. For my purposes it is just fine.

I have received very good reports on the transmit audio.

Once the operator is familiar with the menus, programming is a cinch.

This is a rugged radio which I will gladly take just about anywhere!

W4ZWU Rating: 4/5 Oct 5, 2018 01:24 Send this review to a friend
serviced under warranty  Time owned: more than 12 months
Updating a previous review. I sent both radios in for repair under warranty and we've used both radios with both digital and tone squelch. All is working, all day long instead of giving out after an hour to a few hours. Self-induced intermod is no longer a problem. There was no information about the nature of the repair or repairs included with the radios. I would like to know what was wrong.

The good part about these radios are: the ability they give you to organize simplex and repeater frequencies, ARTS (automatic range transponder system), weather radio, and broadcast FM radio. Using ARTS I was able to see how good the propagation was at 0.5 watts while doing work on our land without needing someone else controlling the other radio.

Why 4 out of 5 when they're such a compelling radio? Quality control. I CANNOT recommend buying these in good conscience when your or someone else's life might depend on them working properly. As stated before, we were forced to use tone-squelch or digital squelch due to intermod problems EVEN WHEN IN THE MIDDLE OF NOWHERE. However, tone-squelch and digital squelch would stop working at some random time after the radios were powered up. The way they didn't work was the squelch wouldn't allow any audio to come through even when signal strength was good. Yes, there's the monitor button, but do you want to press that all day long???

Again, they seem to work just fine now, but I do not trust them yet.

WX4O Rating: 5/5 Sep 8, 2018 22:12 Send this review to a friend
Excellent  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Had one about a month. Works very well, especially for the price. Going to sell my 270.

N8DJR Rating: 5/5 Aug 5, 2018 08:36 Send this review to a friend
Not hard to program at all!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This radio is so easy to program my kids do it for me, I can not understand how a grown man
who's been a licensed ham for years holding the highest class of ticket there is
Can Not figure out the basic setting of a simple radio? Then cry about on here and give the radio a poor score
and a terrible review so everyone will think the radio is junk when in reality his
dissolution of grandeur and unwillingness to adapt to today's technology was his own downfall
and his inability to program the radio in the first place, his frustration was taken out on the
radio. There is nothing wrong with the manual or the radio not hard to figure out CTCSS or +- shift
pretty basic stuff we should know or shouldn't be playing with the radio in the first place huh?
Unbelievable how simple Yaesu laid out the menu to be scrolled through with the arrow keys selecting
what you need tone, shift, WBFM, APO, Skip, DTMF,....all of it so easy I don't understand what's so hard about that.
My wife tells me to turn the radio down it's too loud and it's disturbs her while she's watching TV in the other room
so the audio is fine, you don't need to compand your audio if you do it will compand your mic just speak up lol
What can I say the radio is perfect for trips, outdoor activity, hiking, camping, going to the parks, you name it take it
and stay in touch and throw some public safety or FRS/GMRS/MURS in there for fun too