Reviews Categories | Amplifiers: RF Power - HF & HF+6M | Ameritron ALS-606 Help

Reviews Summary for Ameritron ALS-606
Ameritron ALS-606 Reviews: 7 Average rating: 4.3/5 MSRP: $1,995-2,399
Description: HF/6M 600 watt FET No Tune Amplifier
More info: http://www.ameritron.com

You can write your own review of the Ameritron ALS-606 .

AD9P Rating: 1/5 Jun 13, 2019 21:14 Send this review to a friend
ALC too LOW?  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have been using the ALS606s since December and it has preformed ok. I never use ALC, and manually control the exciter output. I connected the ALC from the exciter to the ALS606s, and to my surprise it does not have and effect of any kind.
So I called Ameritron Service Department and explained my issue. I am using a Yaesu FTDX3000, and was told that the ALS606s does not generate the voltage necessary to effect ALC control, of the Amplifier. So I assume that the ALC Set, and the ALC connection is for show. Their response is laughable. I have been a ham for 40 years and this is a first.
My last Ameritron Product. Poor service, and design.

Thanks for looking
Al
AD9P

KK6YO Rating: 5/5 May 21, 2019 14:52 Send this review to a friend
UPDATE  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Problem solved thanks to John a Ameritron See below:
If you are using the DB interface cable, you will not need to use an RCA cable to connect the radio to the amplifier for keying. This causes a conflict which when you key up, it locks everything into transmit.

Also, if the bands that are being skipped over are 30M, 17M, and 12M, then this is normal. The amplifier and the radio both have low-pass output filters. Both units have 30M and 20M sharing a filter. The same with 17M and 15M, and also 12M and 10M. because of this, ICOM only sends out band data for 20M, 15M, and 10M. Even though these are the lights that are lit, it will still operate on 30M when it is switched into 20M, 17M when it is switched into 15M, and 12M when it is switched into 10M.

Jerry

K6BSR Rating: 5/5 Apr 17, 2019 02:51 Send this review to a friend
First impression is great!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I just got this amp a week ago and I'm really having a blast! I use a Yaesu FT-991A to drive it and it requires very little input beyond changing the bandswitch in my case.I've had several tube type amplifiers in the past and this is my first solid state version. So far I'm quite happy with it and despite being antenna restrictedI'm back to happily chasing DX!

K9RE Rating: 5/5 Jun 25, 2018 13:28 Send this review to a friend
Superb Unit!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I bought this amplifier particularly for the 6M capabilities. The first one died within a few minutes during testing and the good folks at Ameritron kindly replaced it with a brand new unit. The second one has been given a thorough workout and has performed flawlessly. I got the switching power supply because I wanted a lightweight combination for transporting to my summer cottage. It really makes a big difference on 6 meters. Most of the time I get through on the first try. I am using an MFJ Moxon antenna, which is essentially a 2 element close spaced beam about the size of a small TV antenna, and it is only 24 feet up. The amplifier runs cool and quiet and so does the power supply. I really love this combination. I want to give credit to Mike at Ameritron service for taking care of me and getting me the replacement amp promptly at no charge. This is an awesome company and I am proud to be an Ameritron owner!

K6AES Rating: 4/5 Mar 29, 2018 19:08 Send this review to a friend
It will serve you well.  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I blew mine up (one final) during the first hour of testing. I transmitted 6m into a Gap TITAN DX, not designed for the frequency. More importantly to the failure, I was transmitting far more than the 25A the amp is rated for, using RTTY to test. I wasn't monitoring the current. This is what 'killed' the amp. And in fact I must have exceeded the Max I for most of a minute. Ameritron honored the warranty even though I was at fault.

AA9NN Rating: 5/5 May 25, 2017 10:27 Send this review to a friend
Nice Amp.  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have serial number 4! and so far so good, I have been using on 40M SSB and CW and while its a NoN qsk Linear its working well on CW. Hitting it with 75Watts will get you 620 watts out, and it seems all within its limits. I use a 7300 and it will auto band switch, its pretty much a turn on and go amp. I replaced an acom 1000 which is a great amp but wanted Solid state and instant on. The acom version is beautiful but its $800 more. Ameritron has been building the 600 and 1306 for awhile and as long as the QC is good the amps are good! the ALS-606S is looking like a winner!

KC4BW Rating: 5/5 May 22, 2017 06:14 Send this review to a friend
Very nice amp  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I found one of these amplifiers at R&L Electronics and bought S/N 0003. As far as I know this dealer is one of the first to receive this new offering from Ameritron. I can't complain about how it works. It operates as advertized. It has 600 watts PEP output with 40 to 65 watts of drive. The unit cosmetically looks like the ALS-1306, it just has half the number of FET's.
I bought it mainly for 6M since I did not have an amplifier for that band. I have used it on 6, 17, 20, and 40M so far with no issues.
Good all-around amp.