Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF: Verticals; Wire; Loop | CHA F-LOOP 2.0 (CHAMELEON ANTENNA) Help

Reviews Summary for CHA F-LOOP 2.0 (CHAMELEON ANTENNA)
CHA F-LOOP 2.0 (CHAMELEON ANTENNA) Reviews: 8 Average rating: 5.0/5 MSRP: $399.00
Description: CHA F-LOOP 2.0

3.5-29.7 MHz

The CHA F-LOOP 2.0 was designed with portability, ease of use
simplicity, ruggedness and high performance in mind. Unlike any other
similar antennas on the market, the CHA F-LOOP 2.0 is made with
premium materials that are precisely manufactured and assembled in
the USA!

This is an exciting new product from Chameleon Antenna. Easily
deployable HF magnetic loop antennas, also called small transmitting
loops, have been routinely used for many years in military, diplomatic,
and shipboard HF communication links, where robust and reliable
general coverage radio communication is a necessity.

These antennas have only recently become commercially available for
amateur radio. The real practical advantage of the small loop, compared
to a short vertical whip tuned against earth or a full sized vertical
antenna, is the loop’s freedom from dependence on a ground plane and
earth for achieving efficient operation; this unique characteristic has
profound significance for portable or restricted space antennas.

In comparison, the bottom of a vertically oriented loop does not need to
be more than a loop diameter above ground, making it very easy to
install in a restricted space location. There is no significant improvement
in sky wave propagation performance when a small loop is installed
high; all that matters is the loop is substantially clear of objects in the
immediate area and oriented towards the desired direction of radiation.

Field trials of the CHA F-LOOP 2.0 demonstrated that an indoor
magnetic loop antenna was only around one to two S-units lower, on
both transmit and receive, than an outdoor full size quarter wave
vertical antenna. Remarkable for an antenna that is only less than three
foot in diameter and covers 3.5 MHz to 29.7 MHz (80 – 10 meter ham
bands)!

The magnetic loop is different from typical antennas because it
emphasizes the magnetic part of the radio wave (H field) rather than the
electric part (E field) of the radio wave. It also has a high Q resonance of
around 17 KHz on 40 meters, providing immunity from interference
outside the bandpass.

The CHA F-LOOP 2.0 Antenna was designed with weight, portability,
versatility and cost in mind and is ideal for RV/camping, hotels,
apartments, condominiums, homeowner’s associations, deed
restrictions and CCRs (Covenants, Conditions & Restrictions),
Shortwave Listening (SWL) and other places where it is not feasible to
erect a multi-band wire or vertical antenna. We’re sure you will be
amazed by the performance and agree that the CHA F-LOOP 2.0 is the
most advanced portable magnetic loop antenna available today.
More info: http://chameleonantenna.com/

You can write your own review of the CHA F-LOOP 2.0 (CHAMELEON ANTENNA).

KK7SS Rating: 5/5 May 26, 2018 01:47 Send this review to a friend
Best of the Breed  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have the F-loop 2.0 Plus. First of all I must say the build quality is superb and very professional. I watched the videos on how the 36 inch diameter Aluminium loop is formed from 1" diameter tubing. and the CNC machining used to get consistent precision connections. This convinced me that this was the loop for me.
Although I will not be back-packing I was pleasantly surprised with the quality of the heavy duty bag supplied that holds everything (except the 2-part loop).
The tuning unit is in a very solid plastic molding and has connections for both the aluminium and the co-axial loops.
The base plate has pre-threaded holes for 1/4" and 3/8" for mounting on a tripod or other support - I'm using a small DSLR tripod in the house.
The tuning knob is nice - large enough for my hands - and the reduction gearing makes it easy to tune and gives a nice smooth tactile feedback.
I use it in the house and in the back yard connected to an mcHF SDR radio. Note: It is not weatherproof!.
I was pre-tuning the antenna for a noise peak and then fine tuning using an antenna analyzer (the FG-01A) so that the antenna system is resonant for the chosen frequency, but now I just do the pre-tuning with the analyzer - no ATU in circuit so as to try to maximize power transfer.
My home-brewed testing showed the F-loop bandwidths agreed extremely closely with the published data by Chameleon and by KP4MD which both showed that it is a very high-Q antenna. No unjustified hype herer by the manufacturer.
Directivity is in the plane of the loop with nulls broadside which gives the ability to try to null directional noise/interference. It is much quieter than my HF6V (about 25 ft between them).
The 2.0 Plus uses a telescoping support for the coupling loop. The coupling loop is fabricated from 1" wide flat Aluminium stock with an SO-239 socket for connecting the feedline.
Chameleon was very responsive to my email questions - great customer service.
I shall be adding the remote tuning and rotating (CH-RTRR) accessory in the very near future which will give me "armchair" operability with the F-loop up to 20 ft away..
ATTN: Do not touch the loop when transmitting.. small transmitting loops can invoke extremely high RF voltages..

KK7SS Rating: 5/5 May 25, 2018 19:23 Send this review to a friend
IMHO Best of the Breed..  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
The tuning unit is in a very solid metal casting and has connections for both the aluminium and the co-axial loops.
Chameleon was very responsive to my email questions - great customer service.

WA9VFD Rating: 5/5 Mar 10, 2018 15:06 Send this review to a friend
Believe The Hype (Follow Up Review)  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
It is on rare occasion you should ever believe the hype. This is one of those occasions. Under the worst band conditions anyone has ever seen I have had QSOs in the EU and the outer islands of Wash state from my station in North Carolina. The HOA inspectors think it is just a Frisbee golf trainer. By now you've heard that Chameleon is a great company with excellent customer support. That hype is deserved as well.

AE5SN Rating: 5/5 Feb 3, 2018 19:34 Send this review to a friend
Good loop, Great Customer Service  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Chameleon F-Loop works as advertised and their customer support is excellent. I had to get 2 very small brackets replaced and they were sent very quickly with no headache. Chameleon knew of the issue I had and didn't make excuses, just sent the replacement parts and it worked fine. I would add that they even offer operational advice/support and will take you through setup/operation if you're having any trouble or just need some help.

The antenna is High Q (narrow bandwidth) but easy enough to operate - just read the instructions, put it together in the operational configuration you want, and you're off. My experience indicated the F-Loop Plus with the Aluminum element to performs well even in my home - the LMR type loop setup works well enough too but the aluminum wins out marginally.

I also purchased the rotator with autotuner - the rotation works as advertised with a few shaky spots but easy enough to operate. It's expensive but it's solid (thick metal base - won't tip over)so you get what you pay for. The autotuner works very well (saves having to manually twist the capacitor when changing transmit frequency).

Bottom line - a good small antenna with excellent customer support. I would buy from Chameleon Antenna again.

OH8STN Rating: 5/5 Sep 7, 2017 23:34 Send this review to a friend
Awesome update  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I've owned the original F-Loop for a couple of years now. I have the basic series and the plus version. I also have the RTRR remote control. The only thing I was missing from the original version, was a little smaller breakdown size. When I saw a video of the new F-Loop 2.0 on YouTube, I immediately ordered this antenna.

To achieve this smaller breakdown size, and to make the  magnetic loop easier to assemble/disassemble, is the telescopic mast. This is very similar to the latest P-LOOP 2.0, and also makes the accessories compatible across both Loop antennas. What this gives me is a very versatile magnetic loop antenna, which can be configured for the different types of operations I find myself in. My F-Loop 2.0 is the plus version, but when I take it out on trips or using it from hotels I usually use it with the double coaxial Loop for 80/60/40, the single coaxial Loop for 40-10 (I don't work 10/12 meters), or the Booster kit, for more efficiency on 40-15m. Finally,  I have the power compensator allowing me to run up to 60 watts SSB through the loop.

The F-LOOP 2.0 has three hardpoints on its base plate. 2x 1/4 threaded for a tripod, and 1x 3/8 untheaded hard point for other mounting options like on a balcony. I also have all of the accessories including the booster kit, the plus configuration, and the RTRR (which allows me to control it remotely). The tuning dial is located on the front panel of the magnetic loop. The only other controls are a switch on top of the housing to choose between 80 through 30 meters or 20 through 10. For those of you interested the loop also covers the 60 meter amateur band, MARS, and the 11 meters band.

SWR of 1.1-1.5 is possible on all bands the loop covers. Although the telescopic mast can be used to adjust the pickup loop height on the Plus version, I have never seen any reason to use that feature, as the SWR is always low enough. The Q is quite high, which is normal on any good magnetic loop antenna.

The pickup loop is a rigid design with an so-239 connector. There are a couple of different sizes depending on which main loop (outer loop) you're using. On the original version there was one pick up Loop, regardless of which outerloop you were using. Now the pickup Loop is tuned for the size and length of the main Loop.

In August 2017, I used the F-Loop 2.0 in its Plus configuration to log into a WinLink gateway 2300km away to send and receive emails using Winmor through a ZLP MiniProSC audio interface. I connected with the station several times on 40 and 20 meters, despite QRM from stronger stations. I did this QRP (5w), using an FT-817ND. I've also use this Loop for casual SSB contacts while the loop was mounted in the Attic above my ham Shack using the RTRR remote control.

Like all other Chameleon products, quality and attention to detail are above and beyond. It's definitely not a miracle antenna, but if you can't or don't want to be bothered putting up a full-size antenna, or if you're looking for a backup antenna to augment a full size antenna in a remote location, this is definitely worth considering for your ham radio tool box.

N2LRB Rating: 5/5 Sep 3, 2017 14:45 Send this review to a friend
Excellent Product  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I received my CHA F-Loop 2.0 antenna less than three weeks ago and I was highly impressed with all aspects of it. The antenna is built with quality in mind, and is very easy to setup/put together. It tunes on all the bands it advertises it will tune on. Even from inside a typical New York City steel and concrete building!

I have made contacts into ILL, GA, MO, KS, and OH with the coax outer loop and into MI with the metal outer loop. I have also successfully made WSPR contacts of over 2,000 during times of bad propagation. I made all the above contacts with just 20 watts output power.

Before obtaining the CHA F Loop 2.0 I was making my own magnetic loop antennas. But they do not compare to this antenna. Creating my own magloop has taught me a lot. But when getting on the air and making contacts is important, I use the CHA F Loop 2.0. It's a pleasure to look at, put together and work, both indoors and outdoors.

WY0WDR Rating: 5/5 Sep 1, 2017 07:45 Send this review to a friend
Wow. Great antenna.  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I bought the F-LOOP Plus last winter (2017), and used it primarily in my apartment to listen-it excels in reception, and listening is my primary mode of operation. I've also used it in the field, usually while camping. Even with the high efficiency loop, it's very convenient to use-I often leave it assembled and just slide it onto the bed for quick deployment.
Using it while backpacking is pretty easy as well. I leave the high efficiency loop at home and use the flexible loop made of LMR 400. It all fits in a sturdy bag (included) that attaches to my pack with Molle straps, and isn't so heavy that it's onerous to carry.
On 25 March 2017 I made a 20m contact using 15W to Urbana, Illinois from Casper, Wyoming-with the F-LOOP sitting in my living room.
On field day 2017, I made numerous contacts on 20m, this time with the F-LOOP on my front porch on 15W.

This a great antenna-very well built, durable enough for portable work, and easy to set up and use. I'm very happy with it, and recommend it without reservation.

K1DOS Rating: 5/5 Jul 9, 2017 21:08 Send this review to a friend
Outstanding Antenna!  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I have all three of Chameleon's antennas (F, Pv1.0, and Pv2.0). All three work great and are well built. I use them all the time for QRP digital ops (Pactor) and have never had a problem finding a tuning solution. If you do field ops check out one of these antennas.