Reviews Categories | Transceivers: VHF/UHF+ Amateur Base/Mobile (non hand-held) | TYT TH-8600 vhf/uhf Help

Reviews Summary for TYT TH-8600 vhf/uhf
TYT TH-8600 vhf/uhf Reviews: 10 Average rating: 4.0/5 MSRP: $150
Description: 2 meter 440 dual band base radio
More info: http://www.tyt888.com/?mod=product_show&id=39

You can write your own review of the TYT TH-8600 vhf/uhf.

NJ8J Rating: 3/5 Sep 9, 2019 10:07 Send this review to a friend
OK, if a bit klunky  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I was given one of these last Christmas, and have been using it as a base VHF/UHF radio. It's been ok - receive audio (as far as I know) transmit audio are good. It's programmable from the from panel and microphone, but isn't nearly as easy as the other VHF/UHF radios I've had in the past (Yaesu FT-530, FT-51, and FT-60, and a Icom IC-207H). When programming manually, I've typically found myself doing part of a channel from the front panel, and part from the mic. It's easier than trying to do everything from one or the other.

I've found programming to be easier using the program supplied on a CD. The CD appears to have programs for a number of TYT radios, so you have to hunt for the TYT-8600 one, and you'll need to have archiver software capable of handling .rar files (7Zip will do). The program is usable, if a bit klunky. It makes me wish Chirp handled the TH-8600 (it doesn't yet, even though a few people have offered the loan of the radio for programming purposes, and one person offered to give one right out). There are some dialogs that come up in chinese, even though you've specified English, but it's possible to use the program despite this. I'll note there's a newer version on the web site (the CD came with a version dated 2016-11-08, while the version on the web site is dated in 2017), but so far, that version comes up with all chinese text, even though you tell it to install the english version.

The mike cable is rather stiff, and the scan rate is rather slow (maybe 3 channels/sec, much slower than the Yaesu's I've had, and even than a Baofeng UV-5R).

I've basically dinged this radio for the sloppy programming on the supplied software, the slow scan rate, and the overall klunkiness. It's usable, but not outstanding.

OZ5GOL Rating: 5/5 Aug 17, 2019 21:25 Send this review to a friend
Great waterproof radio  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Fine radio, mine is the waterproof model ip67. Not difficult to program. Like to have it in my boat

KB9KQU Rating: 5/5 Mar 7, 2019 18:14 Send this review to a friend
VERY good for the price!  Time owned: more than 12 months
** All my comments & numerical rating are predicated on the price (value) compared to the "big 4" (A-K-I-Y).

Pros: Size/Reasonable power/Rugged build/Nice mic/Features/Performance/Programmable W/O computer (I don't even own a Windows machine)/Audio both ways is just fine/Nice display.

Cons: Intermod when in city (minor annoyance)/Slow scan speed(I end up using dual watch instead)/Manual difficult to decipher.

1. Believe I've owned mine close to 2 years & it looks & performs like new.
2. I'm the biggest dunce when it comes to things like computers & radio programming. I programmed 30+/- memories including mostly repeaters with the mic & front buttons. If I can do it, ANYONE can!
3. Is it comparable to a TM-V71a? No! Does it cost over $300.00? Not even close! As I said @ the beginning - VALUE.

VE3PTC Rating: 4/5 Jan 4, 2019 03:29 Send this review to a friend
works well.  Time owned: more than 12 months
bought mine from r+l electronics in ohio for $89.
tx audio brings great reports and rx audio is pretty good for low budget radio. i use mine in my suv as connecting it to a good base antenna will bring some problems with intermod, if you live near city centre.
programming is very straight forward, with the supplied disc and cable. i have even programmed frequencies/channels from front panel, although lots of button pushing, but its doable.
if you have ever programmed a baofeng, or a dmr radio, then this will be fairly easy for you.
manual is about as good as a chocolate fireguard ! am i giving my age away here ! hi hi.
for the price, decent performance, although my particular radio struggles to hit 20w output.

KN4RA Rating: 2/5 Oct 28, 2018 01:16 Send this review to a friend
Wasted $99  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Bought this radio for a base unit only. Receive is fine, but transmit audio is low and I am constantly asked to speak louder into the mic. Yelling into a mic is not what I do. TYT has absolutely no customer service. None. Software in box is useless. Website has the programming software available, but when you select English- the end result is in Chinese. They did have it in English, but removed it for some reason? Not very pleased with this Chinese radio overall. Not recommended. Don't even consider programming this radio manually.

KI7SJC Rating: 2/5 Oct 16, 2018 15:44 Send this review to a friend
IMPOSSIBLE PROGRAMMING  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
WILL NOT PROGRAM WITH WINDOWS 7. IT COMES UP WITH "NO OPENING FILE ASSOCIATED WITH THE TH8600.RAR FILE" AND IF THE PROGRAMMING TABLE LOADS, READS "INSERT FREQUENCY CODE" OR "COMPORT 4 OCCUPE" AND DOES NOT WRITE TO THE TRANSCEIVER.
THEN THE RECEIVER GOES SILENT AT ANY SQUELCH.
YOU CAN FORGET ASKING HESENATE RADIO FOR HELP. THEY WANT A MOVIE OF YOUR EFFORTS AND NO HELP AT ALL VIA EMAILS FROM GUANGZHOU CHINA OR FROM A 400 AREA CODE TELEPHONE..
OTHERWISE NICELY BUILT AND NICE DUAL BAND DISPLAY. JUST HOPELESS PROGRAMMING.

K9XT Rating: 5/5 May 6, 2018 13:34 Send this review to a friend
Surprisingly Good   Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I was pleasantly surprised when I purchased this radio. I now own two with one installed in my truck and the other in my RV. I found I had to be patient when reading the manual because some programming steps are not that intuitive. A big "thumbs-up" for a very cost-effective mobile radio.

WD9IQN Rating: 5/5 Nov 5, 2017 09:58 Send this review to a friend
Working great !  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I bought one of these for the RV. It doesn't take up much space. Receive audio is great. Transmit audio reports are good. The color display looks nice and is easy to read. It has a nice microphone that you can control the radio with.
It has a slight pop out of the speaker when the squelch is first opened. Not too bad but it is there. The radio is rated at 25 watts but mine puts out around 20 watts. The manual is not the greatest. A pretty good deal for under $100 with free shipping from R&L.

N8PMG Rating: 5/5 Jun 13, 2017 16:52 Send this review to a friend
Reasonably priced  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Picked one up at Dayton (Xenia) for $100. The receive audio is excellent, better than some much more expensive units. Mine does dual monitoring, so the other reviewer must have something set up wrong or malfunctioning. The included programming cable saves a few of your dollars and works with 64 bit Windows 10. The mike seems large for the radio size but is easy to use. A little surprised to see a cooling fan on a medium power rig. So far no problems and satisfactory performance.

K6ZA Rating: 4/5 May 26, 2017 16:23 Send this review to a friend
newly released  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
You get what you pay for in most of these Chinese imports. This one is no different, however there are some strong points. The xmit audio is reported to be excellent as is the internal speaker audio which is very robust and sounds very good. The TYT website programming software is available, quick and easy to use. Manual is cryptic as expected, and questions arise on feature selections. ISSUE: The feature specs include "dual watch receive", however, it appears that only one vfo can be heard at a time, locking out the audio from the other. Despite choosing the alternate vfo, no sound is heard until there is a carrier or key down. This may be a software bug or some very esoteric setting buried somewhere. If solved, this could be a very nice inexpensive addition or backup radio.