Reviews Categories | Transceivers: VHF/UHF+ Amateur Base/Mobile (non hand-held) | Icom ID-4100A Help

Reviews Summary for Icom ID-4100A
Icom ID-4100A Reviews: 13 Average rating: 3.5/5 MSRP: $$459
Description: UHF/VHF D-Star Transciever
More info: http://www.icomamerica.com/en/products/amateur/mobile/id4100a/default.aspx

You can write your own review of the Icom ID-4100A.

K6DS Rating: 2/5 Dec 25, 2018 23:37 Send this review to a friend
Really disappointed  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Recently got the radio from HRO. Paid $309 for the radio, $11 for the SD card and $45 for the programming software and cable. I have been a Yaesu guy for a long time, but wanted to see about this D-Star thing from Icon.

The contrast on the display is horrible. Have it adjusted as high as possible and when on "amber"...Forget it! When the display says "white" and it is light blue.

The scanning stops with no visible signal. The volume varies even on the same ongoing QSO. And, maybe it is just me, but the programming seems to be "all-over-the-place".

Haven't gotten into D-Star yet, but hope the radio is better there and makes it worth the money. Still think I mad a mistake, and I guess I should have figured that maybe the dropping of price from $425 to $350 to $304 and now to $289 was an indication of lack of acceptance of this rig. I hate to give bad reviews, but sometimes it is necessary to hopefully help others.

VE7REN Rating: 5/5 Dec 22, 2018 00:48 Send this review to a friend
excellent !!  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
i bought this to replace a 880 and 8800 yaesu in the mobile. the receiver for me is remarkable. I compare it to the 2730 I have. same antenna. the audio is pleasant,loud,and clean.my 2730 is more tinny. same speaker,settings.
this 4100 is a huge update from the 880d I have. the gps is accurate and gives all the info I need. im very happy with my purchase and have only used it on vhf/uhf/ no dstar here yet! I consisitently get audio reports when talking local and using my irlp from the mobile. this is a keeper radio. no intermod either!

G1XXV Rating: 2/5 Dec 21, 2018 22:16 Send this review to a friend
poor receive  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I've recently been comparing my ID-4100E in the car with my near on 30 year old Alinco 605 and there is no comparison on receive. This radio is stone deaf compared to the Alinco. Both were connected to difference versions the same model of mobile Antenne. Even swapping the Antennas made little difference. While on D-Star it's good enough to get across the Thames Estruary to Icon's own repeater (41 Kilometers), as a 2meter/70cms Radio the receive is very poor, the receive range being about one third worse than the Alinco. The fan is also very noisy. When it kicks in it means the volume on the radio has to be turned up. I'd recommend this radio as to D-Star use, but not as a 2m/70cms transceiver. I have two of these ID 4100s and both compare with each other. Both were easy to set up, having done one in under an hour the other took minutes.

MI0GTA Rating: 5/5 Nov 10, 2018 10:50 Send this review to a friend
Fantastic rig  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Fantastic Icom radio..
Very easy to navigate and programme.
The menu is a doddle to use and inputting info to the radio to set up manually or via the WCS D4100 data software and interface cable is very easy done.
I've my rig interfaced with an MMDVM NANO CUBE. 4cm square, wireless and fan cooled.
D-star is main operation on this rig.
Yaesu ft4x for 2m / 70cm local.
Would recommend the ICOM ID-4100 to everyone.
Another ICOM classic has been born..

N4KH Rating: 4/5 Aug 3, 2018 17:21 Send this review to a friend
Good Radio  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This radio is a huge improvement over the ID-800 which I owned previously. The ID-800 was a good radio once programmed, but programming it was very difficult. I had to use the software. The ID4100 is much easier to program out of the box, the menus are pretty logical, and the DR function is very nice for finding local repeaters. Then I as able to use a flash memory card and CS-4100 software (free on Icom site) to load settings, memories and an updated repeater file from dstarinfo.com directly into the radio without having to purchase the $50 programming cable.

I don't really have an issue with the display although the text is a bit small in a mobile application. Different display color options is nice.

My nits with the radio that keep it from being a "5" are first the speaker quality - the small built in speaker sounds pretty bad. I haven't tried an external speaker yet but would expect it to be quite an improvement. Second, the fan - it comes on not long after you start transmitting, even on low/med power and it is pretty noticeable. You can use manual fan settings instead of auto but then I think it stays on all the time and that's not good. Third as others have pointed out is having to pay extra for a basic mobile bracket, and the cost for hardware to mount the control head in a mobile installation is very high. Lastly, Icom changed the stock mobile mic and did away with the two buttons on top that I was accustomed to using on my previous radio to start and stop the radio from scanning - on the ID-4100 you have to push the center button on the main tuning knob, select whether you want to scan all or a certain memory bank and then push it again - less user friendly in my opinion.

This is a radio worth considering for the price if you want to get on D-STAR.

N1XQ Rating: 4/5 May 29, 2018 21:29 Send this review to a friend
Great radio - could easily be a lot better though  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have also owned the ID-880H and this is a direct replacement for that radio.

The ID-4100A took everything that was good about the ID-880H and generally improved it. The basic radio is the same and the footprint of the base and head are exactly the same. So if you have the mounting bracket and head mount/magnet kit from an IC-880H they will fit the ID-4100A perfectly.

This radio vastly simplifies programing and day to day D-Star repeater use through simple menus that are easily accessable and selected. Which is a great improvement over the ID-880H.

The GPS also locks quickly and works well and is a welcome addition. So is the addition of a SD card slot which lets you load large lists of repeaters into memory. Put these two features together and you get the well implemented "Near Repeater" search that lets you easily scan for Digital and Analog repeaters near your GPS location. Great when traveling!

OK, here are the minuses - and they have been noted by others. Icom used to include the mobile bracket and head mount/magnet kit with the ID-880H. They are now very expensive options for the ID-4100A. No excuse except for price gouging.

Others have had trouble with the brightness of the display. I haven't found that to be a problem. But the layout of the display on the LCD is absolutely atrocious. During the most common operation (i.e. from memories) literally, and I am not exaggerating at all, 66% of the screen is blank space. Yet the text that is there is tiny and crammed in to other parts of the display. Just by moving some things around, they could have easily doubled the font sizes they used for the memory name and frequency readout. Icom needs to get the people who designed the IC-7300 display over to the mobile department and re-do this firmware. I won't hold my breath though.

If they fixed the display font sizes and layout I would give this radio 5 stars.

W4JTB Rating: 3/5 May 26, 2018 13:00 Send this review to a friend
Good Radio, Nickle and Dimed  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Iím giving this radio a 3 for a reason that some would not consider fair, but Iím posting regardless. Let me be clear, Radio alone, itís easy a 4.5.

The price you see for the radio is not the price you actually pay and hereís why:

You have to purchase things like a cheap Bluetooth chip for almost $100.

You have to purchase an incredibly inexpensive mounting bracket for $40.

There are other parts youíll need for different installations.

Icom is nickel and diming you to death with this one.

Now, on the the radio. If you donít care about whatís above, then you will probably really like this radio a lot.

Super easy to get into DStar. This is as easy as it gets.

The design is very nice whether in your shack or in the vehicle.

Honestly, I picked up the face and held it almost like a phone to work with it.

Overall the radio is great, but Icom should learn not to take advantage of their customers.

ZL1CTS Rating: 1/5 Dec 14, 2017 00:58 Send this review to a friend
not compatible  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
OK I own an ID880 which is great for d-star, so thought the 4100 would be good too,
biggest issue is its not compatible with 90% of the repeaters in my country, so mobile its useless. it is not capable of correctly decoding repeaters running ircddb software, only G3 Icom software repeaters, so it thinks its an FM signal and gives digital noise...currently trying to resolve with my icom dealer....
also why sell a mobile rig with a remote head cable, but no radio mounts? its a mobile radio, doesnt make sense to me.
the 880 beats the 4100 hands down for sensitivity, the 4100 gets scratchy inplaces where the 880 would still give a perfect copy.. so over all very disapointed with what should have been a really good radio

ZL1CTS Rating: 3/5 Dec 10, 2017 14:38 Send this review to a friend
Poor display for driving  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Just got a 4100 to replace the 880, and the display is just so hard to read, in VFO mode with just freq displayed its great, change to named memories with name shown, its tiny and most of the screen is left blank, a real waste of display real estate.. with the 880 and named memories its easy to read, the 4100, almost impossible in the vehicle... I am sure a firmware update to make it bigger or even scrolling would improve it greatly... otherwise its a nice radio

K2KN Rating: 5/5 Nov 25, 2017 15:44 Send this review to a friend
Excellent D-Star and FM  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I love this radio. I have had the ID-4100A for about 3 months. It is being used in my shack and not mobile. It replaces an IC-208H.

The ID-4100A has excellent selectivity and receive audio. I continually receive excellent audio reports from D-Star and FM contacts. Plenty of functions and easy to operate D-Star. I totally recommend getting the RT software and program cable, it makes programming both FM and especially D-Star easy and you will get more out of this radio. RT software will gladly help you program over the phone which can be a must for new users.

I have been licenced since 1968, this is the finest mobile 2 and 70 radio I have owned or used.