Reviews Categories | Transceivers: VHF/UHF+ Amateur Hand-held | Yaesu FT-70DR dual band digital HT Help

Reviews Summary for Yaesu FT-70DR dual band digital HT
Yaesu FT-70DR dual band digital HT Reviews: 21 Average rating: 4.5/5 MSRP: $199.95
Description:

FT-70DR C4FM FDMA / FM 144/430 MHz Dual Band 5W Handheld Transceiver

The new FT-70DR is a compact and very attractively priced YAESU System Fusion transceiver providing both conventional analog FM operation and the advanced C4FM Digital mode. The FT-70DR provides up to 5W of reliable RF power, and its large Front Speaker delivers 700mW of Loud Audio Output. Because C4FM has better BER (Bit Error Rate) characteristics than other digital modulations, the user can expect exceptional audio quality. The new digital FT-70DR includes our unique Automatic Mode Select (AMS) function. AMS detects the operating mode of the received signal as C4FM digital or analog FM, and then automatically and instantly switches the receiver to the appropriate mode. Users do not need to manually change between modes. The multi-colored LED Mode-Indicator displayed on the front allows the operator to easily see what mode the FT-70DR is in at any given moment. LED Mode-Indicator clearly and visibly shows the transmit/ receive mode by changing its color so that the operating mode of the transceiver is easily recognized at a glance. One of the other distinguishing features of the FT-70DR is Digital Group Monitor (GM) with DG-ID (Digital Group Identification) and DP-ID (Digital Personal Identification) now included in the FT-70DR, to simplify the GM operation. Simply put, the transceivers selecting the same DG-ID or DP-ID can communicate with each other. Between 00 and 99 DG-ID and DP-ID are selectable which provides loads of flexibility so that users can enjoy group communication with friends in GM mode in accordance to their individual operational needs.
More info: http://HTTPS://www.yaesu.com

You can write your own review of the Yaesu FT-70DR dual band digital HT.

M3SXA Rating: 4/5 Jan 20, 2019 16:11 Send this review to a friend
To early to say  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Only just got this little radio and thought lets program it up, oh dear what a disastrous way to have to program, take out the battery, plug into charger switch on, remove plug, plug in programming lead plug charger lead back in hold down 'band' key... nearly there.... JEEZ!! more to follow if I get any further...

KB9FMV Rating: 5/5 Jan 9, 2019 01:58 Send this review to a friend
GREAT HANDIE FOR THE MONEY AND WIRES X  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I must say for $139.00 this radio is a steal for getting on wires x! But in addition to wires x it is a really great receiver ! The transmit and receive audio is outstanding! I highly recommend that if you want a great buy this is it! By the way the battery is no issue for me! Maybe they had an initial bad batch of batteries!

KA7EII Rating: 5/5 Oct 9, 2018 20:46 Send this review to a friend
Fantastic entry level Fusion HT!  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I have had my Yaesu FT-70DR for over six months now and it is a very capable analog/digital HT. Very nice upgrade from my 20+ year-old Yaesu VX-5R HT.
As others have noted, the battery life may be a little short but I knew what to expect before purchasing the FT-70DR after reading the owners manual online. Battery life is as good if not slightly better than the VX-5R. I can get a days use out of the FT-70DR if I'm just listening to one frequency and use low power on the local repeaters. Longer QSOs and scanning will run the battery down faster. Easy solution – just purchase an extra battery and call it a day. I also purchased the drop in desktop charger and soft case. I already have a DC cable and speaker-mic that was used with the VX-5R. Using the stock antenna, I find the FT-70DR to be a bit more sensitive than the VX-5R and the receive audio is louder. It took a few days to get used to the single knob on top – having to push a button then twist the knob to adjust the volume was crazy at first but now I like that arrangement. I no longer bump the volume knob and either miss calls or have the radio blast when a call comes in. The FT-70DR does not cover as much receive spectrum that the VX-5R has but I rarely listened to AM or FM broadcast stations or shortwave stations on the VX-5R. Never did any public safety monitoring with the VX-5R so the extended receive is not really missed on the FT-70DR. I do listen to the aircraft band a lot and the FT-70DR does a better job than the VX-5R of receiving the VHF aircraft frequencies.
C4FM is a lot of fun. The FT-70DR does not have a dedicated “WIRES-X” button but you still can access WIRES-X by pressing the “F” key followed by the “AMS” key. The FT-70DR does not have GPS so you only see the callsign of the station you are working on digital. The FT-70DR does not have true dual receive but again, this is something I would rarely use. GPS would be nice but it was not a deal breaker for me when deciding to get an FM/digital HT. Those that want or need dual receive and GPS may want to consider the Yaesu FT-2DR.
For my needs, the FT-70DR is a winner and I look forward to enjoying many years of use out of my HT.

K6TRQ Rating: 5/5 Jul 11, 2018 18:25 Send this review to a friend
under-rated radio  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I've gone through a couple of HT radios over the past few months. Had the ID-51a and didn't really like it, same story with the FT-2DR (terrible display in the one I had). Currently have a TH-74 along with the FT-70DR and frankly I prefer the way the Yaesu handles. The only thing I find a bit annoying is no dedicated volume knob (have to hold a button on the side along with the encoder) but even with the small display I find I can get around more quickly on the Yaesu than the Kenwood.

For $200 you get wide RX, solid ergonomics, and Fusion. Hard to beat if you're looking for a day-to-day HT.

SAPPHIRE Rating: 5/5 May 19, 2018 17:31 Send this review to a friend
Good radio  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Very robust radio with a good receiver, very readable display. The battery life can be increased with appropriate menu settings. Example: Menu (48) rx save 0.5 sec, Menu (10) bsy led off, Menu (14) dimmer level 3, Menu (28) lamp 3 Sec, Menu (31) micgain level 9 (A good level of modulation means not repeat the transmission)

KB9ON Rating: 4/5 Mar 29, 2018 18:07 Send this review to a friend
Battery Life definitly need Improvement  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I agree with WX2WMU and N1ART It is a good radio except in the battery life. The battery even with the power off loses voltage daily. With the power on the radio drains the battery rapidly even on the half watt setting! just Listening to the radio the Battery only about 8 to 9 hours. It is a great radio foe getting your feet wet in to Fusion radio.

WX2WMU Rating: 3/5 Mar 29, 2018 11:57 Send this review to a friend
Battery Life needs improvement.   Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I use this radio for events and hamfests. It is a good radio except in the battery life. The battery even with the power off loses voltage daily. With the power on the radio drains the battery rapidly even on the half watt setting!

The LED Light on top is a bit much to distinguish C4FM from Analog. The FT-2DR has a small single LED which does the same thing. The price I paid was fair for a single "Dual Band (144/440) radio.

If you want a small taste of Fusion, this radio will suffice but have an extra battery on hand.

N1ART Rating: 2/5 Mar 22, 2018 11:59 Send this review to a friend
FT70D and Yaesu  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Heres an UPDATE to my review:

The battery stinks on this radio,I charged it overnight it said Charge Full.Transmitted a
few times the battery went dead.Tried draining
the battery and then charging it,no joy.
Same thing.I thought I could live with the lack
of 500-999MHZ that the FT60R has,nope,I ended up returning this after finding there is 1 battery
available for this radio at the time of me writing this.It receives poorly out of band so you really cant enjoy the wide receive.A cheap UV82 Baofeng
actually receives better out of band.I live 10
miles from NYC and like to hear the excitement on 476MHZ,you wont reliably do that with this radio.
The guy at Yaesu was no help to me,so I brought it back he could of cared less.I am not getting anymore Yaesu Walkie talkies after the way I was treated.

W5KVV Rating: 4/5 Mar 20, 2018 00:44 Send this review to a friend
EXCELLENT !  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Great little HT. Compact, but not microscopic. Good audio on both modes. C4FM is a novelty for my needs but better to have it and not need it than vice versa. Programming via front panel is easy once you familiarize yourself with the radio. No real need for computer software unless you're dumping a huge file into the radio. The volume control is a non issue once you get use to it.

My only gripe is battery life. It's a certified battery eater. Hopefully someone will offer a high cap battery for it in the near future. Also, Yaesu could have included a drop in charger. Come on Yaesu. Stop the nickel and dime routine. You're better than that.

Overall a great little radio. Mine is combined with a Diamond SRHF10 stubby antenna and makes for a stealthy little HT.

N1ART Rating: 5/5 Mar 9, 2018 11:17 Send this review to a friend
Yaesu FT70D  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This is a nice and compact radio,its loud, has alpha programming,automatic Digital switching to Fusion,goes from 108 to 500MHZ.Has banks you can name.Battery lasts forever.Has a DC jack.Free programming via ADMS Yaesu software and an included
USB cable thats for Both firmware And programming.
What else can I say? Seems perfect.
Doesnt get too hot and I talk on it alot.
Receives 220 mhz but you cant transmit? Why?!
Anyone mod it to do 220 transmit?

My beef :
Why are the new Yaesu HT's excluding 500-999mhz reception?
If I buy an FT-2DR I get this,if I buy a ftm-100DR I get this......Hey Yaesu we do want wideband receive in all your radios.