Reviews Categories | Transceivers: VHF/UHF+ Amateur Hand-held | Radioddity GD-77 Dual Band DMR Help

Reviews Summary for Radioddity GD-77 Dual Band DMR
Radioddity GD-77 Dual Band DMR Reviews: 17 Average rating: 3.8/5 MSRP: $86.99
Description: Radioddity GD-77 DMR Dual Band Digital Two Way Radio Dual
Time Slot Compatible with Mototrbo Tier 1&Tier 2
More info: http://https://www.radioddity.com/radioddity-gd-77-dual-band-dual-time-slot-digital-two-way-radio-walkie-talkie-dmr-compatible-with-motrobo-tier-1-tier-2-programming-cable.html

You can write your own review of the Radioddity GD-77 Dual Band DMR.

W1AEX Rating: 5/5 Sep 8, 2018 19:44 Send this review to a friend
Reliable performer and surprising easy to use  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
After reading all the reviews here I ordered my Dual Band GD-77 through Amazon as a package deal with a spare Li-ion battery. I received it a few days later at the beginning of June 2018. My GD-77 came with firmware version 2.6.6 which lacked a number of features embedded in newer releases so after reading all the caveats about firmware updates I went ahead and flashed it to version 3.1.3 without any problem. (I’ll add that I later updated to 3.1.6 but went back to 3.1.3 because the battery level indicator was not reliable with the newer release. So, I am currently running 3.1.3 very happily.)

I had read up on programming code plugs and decided to start out by creating some “zones” (think of them as memory groups) for the usual analog services that I like to listen to with my portable scanners. I use Roger Clark’s “GD-77 Community CPS” to create code plugs and a nice feature is that his programming software has the option for “RX Only” that can be used for any channels you program. This allows you to safely put in police, fire, marine, EMS, NOAA or whatever you want to listen to without any danger of inadvertent transmitting. I also programmed a zone for a handful of nearby analog ham repeaters to test how well the GD-77 handled non-digital 2 meter and 70 cm work.

The short story is that even if you never get around to messing with DMR the GD-77 does a beautiful job with VHF/UHF scanning and analog VHF/UHF simplex and repeater operating. It hears things things as well as my VX7R and has far better transmit and receive audio. I did a mix of public service listening and also some transmitting on the ham bands with the GD-77 and was very pleased and surprised that it would run for several days (8 hours per day) without needing to be recharged. While operating on 2 meters and 440 I received outstanding TX reports with specific comments about the clarity of the natural sounding audio.

In the second week of use I went ahead and edited my code plug to add a Brandmeister UHF DMR repeater that some friends use (about 25 miles away) and found that I could get in reliably with the stock antenna if I ran 5 watts. I got excellent TX audio reports and found the RX audio with DMR to be quite good. After a few weeks of running 5 watts (and tripping every GFI that I walked by in my house) I added a ZumSpot to my station so that I could use low power to chat with my friends and that has worked out nicely. I went ahead and programmed zones for 3 other UHF DMR repeaters that are located in different parts of the state and they are working fine.

After a couple of months with the GD-77 my report is still very positive. You get a lot of radio for less than 90 bucks that offers a lot of features. It has been 100% reliable and is far more rugged than I though it would be, having survived a couple of 3 foot drops onto the floor. It’s unfortunate that the GD-77 can only hold 10,000 contacts in the DMR-ID list but that’s not a deal breaker for me as I generally watch the PiStar Dashboard on my station’s computer screen when I am using any of the US or world-wide talk groups. There are also online tools that allow you to create a custom DMR-ID list with less than 10,000 contacts that is specifically for your region. This allows me to include all the New England states as well as NY, NJ, and PA. I would also add here that the GD-77 display is a bit primitive when compared to some of the more expensive DMR radios out there but it displays the talk group and other operator’s call sign (or DMR-ID) reliably and that has been enough for my needs.

The inexpensive GD-77 is a reliable HT for daily use that is convenient and fun to use and it performs far better than I expected it would. I would not hesitate to recommend it.

VE3TMT Rating: 5/5 Jun 12, 2018 15:58 Send this review to a friend
Great value for the money!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've owned my GD-77 for quite some time now. I've read all the horror stories from those who, because they don't know how DMR works, quickly blame the radio. DMR programming has a learning curve, I wouldn't say a steep curve, but for some it can be difficult to grasp. I'll admit, I initially had a very hard time understanding the concept, but once I got it, the programming was easy. At one time, I had a Uniden 996XT scanner, and the programming was very similar. I think this helped me understand DMR programming.

Now for the radio itself...lots to like here. The radio looks great, has a good solid feel in the hand, and the RX and TX audio do very well. I use my radio with a Zumspot / Pi combo running Pi-Star and have no problems making contacts all over the world on DMR. If I want to chat locally, I simply switch banks over to the local analog repeaters and I'm there.

I'll admit, the channel capacity is a bit lacking, but it's more than I'll ever need. I don't need to see the other guys callsign, because that comes up on the Nextion screen attached to my hotspot (see my pics on QRZ.com).

Yes there are faults with the radio. If you do an upgrade the wrong way, the radio bricks. But if can be recovered. I know, because this happen to me. So I stick with the firmware that works best for me.

I read pros and cons for all the current dual band DMR radios out there, so I don't think the GD-77 is any worse than the others. For the $87USD I paid, I couldn't be happier.

W4FEB Rating: 2/5 Jun 12, 2018 03:29 Send this review to a friend
Don't waste your time!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I've been through two of these in five weeks. Both of mine stopped transmitting after firmware updates that were "bears" to do. The instruction files with with firmware file, included as Worddocs in the zipped files, are hard to read and follow. Software to program also changes from Firmware issue to firmware issue. (Really convenient trying to figure that one out!) My original unit was a door prize at a show, thus the Radioddity support people would not make good on it. The promoter replaced it with a similar unit. That one died after redoing the succession of updates. Yes, This one is now DOA also. I'm just gonna throw it away. What a waste of electronics!

KD5YVY Rating: 4/5 Apr 16, 2018 15:48 Send this review to a friend
I like it.  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I won't be as critical about this radio as others, I didn't buy it for a DMR radio, I bought it to replace a UV5R that quit on me. I did choose this radio because of the Price $89 at time of my purchase (had a $45 gift card so out of pocket it only cost me $44).

So what I like: It's has great audio analog and DMR, the receiver is sensitive, and I just overall like the radio, size, feel, performance(TX), Dual band, price, etc.

What I'm not thrilled about: Being my first DMR radio I haven't ever programmed for DMR, this is a learning curve, and from reading of others experience the GD-77 dosen't make it any more friendly compared to other models...but joining the support groups on FaceBook is a great help on any questions, and with the issues of current firmware I'll just keep mine at 3.0.6 with no problem.

But don't fret, like getting a new phone, you learn how it works and after that it's not that big of a deal. We don't have any DMR repeaters in the area, but I can listen to a neighboring county public safety MotoTrbo traffic and if I ever decide to get a mmdvm hotspot I'm confident I will be able to enjoy it with the GD-77.

I was looking for a analog handheld to replace my UV5R and I couldn't pass this radio up.

N1UMJ Rating: 4/5 Mar 29, 2018 08:32 Send this review to a friend
Good radio  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I have the GD-77 and GD-77S. I keep the firmware updated on the GD-77 because I can always go back if I want to or don't like one version. Both have good audio, software is tricky but not impossible to figure out. I'm happy with the radios, they're comfortable to hold I haven't run in to the bugs some have. I'm getting my wife a GD-77 soon, they really are well made and a great DMR radio. Dual band is great for that price too I did not expect the quality or audio at all.

VK7ZJA Rating: 4/5 Mar 13, 2018 20:02 Send this review to a friend
A rough diamond  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Radioddity's GD-77 is the best value dual band DMR hand held radio available. At under $100, you get VHF & UHF, FM & DMR, excellent sound quality on both transmit and receive, a very sensitive receiver, 1024 channels / 10000+ digital contacts all wrapped up in a pretty well built case. Of course at this price you're not going to get Motorola supreme ruggedness, but I've dropped my GD-77 a number of times and it still keeps on going every bit as well as day one. It's small size and light weight make it great for portable work, and it doesn't look like a toy walkie-talkie (looking at you, Baofeng!) The display is nice & clear, battery life is excellent, and the keys have good tactile feedback in use. With all these positives, there must be a downside, right? This is a radio that will make you work hard to get good results. It's not the sort of radio where you can use right out of the box or with just a few minutes of keyboard programming; you've got a lot of work to do in the programming software to get the radio 'just so' for you. You can always use another persons' configuration file, though. The software & firmware do have several bugs, which Radioddity are very slowly fixing up. And lets be honest here, ALL other similar dual band DMR handhelds have issues like that, some to the point where they make the radio un-usable. But as Radioddity & other third parties make their own independent improvements to the software & firmware, once the bugs are all ironed out, I think the GD-77 has the potential to knock the MD-380 off it's throne. If you're prepared to do a little work, to do a little research on how to avoid or overcome some bugs and other issues, and want great value dual band (tri-band with modifications) DMR handheld radio, this is the one for you.

At the moment it's a rough diamond, but once it's polished up, it'll shine real bright.

KA2OON Rating: 1/5 Jan 21, 2018 13:14 Send this review to a friend
Junk  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
AFTER RADIO RESET, THEN FIRMWARE UP GRADE I CAN NOT GET THE RADIOS TO TRANSMIT MORE THEN ABOUT A HALF OF A WATT. I have two of these rigs all results the same. DO NOT BE FOOLED. The display on both rigs shows a change from low to high power. My watt meter says BS, no matter what the display says the watt meter sees no change.To check the results I hooked an MD380 in line, the results were as expected, about half watt LP, about 5 W HP I have done a few resets, and reverted the Firmware a few times. Nothing works, a half watt out. Second test My HP 555A spectrun analyzer, also sees no diference between Low, and High Power. Again all test FM, Two GD77's. I am not happy

KG9H Rating: 5/5 Jan 20, 2018 18:41 Send this review to a friend
Great value for the money  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Had mine since April, I think mine came from the second batch into the US. Never upgraded the firmware, etc, just used it as it came to me.

Works out well, I use on V & U. Analog sounds outstanding and DMR is great. I don't think I will ever upgrade the firmware, it works well as it is.
Can't go wrong with this for the money.

SV2EVS Rating: 4/5 Dec 5, 2017 08:10 Send this review to a friend
Nice DMR/Analog HT  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have been using this DMR radio for only two days and i think its time to share my opinion about this DMR radio. First DMR radio, i am using it now for one day and the battery seems to last long enough with 1w. I did not press with 5w because the local repeater hears me very good. I whould liked a bigger display and some backlight on the keypad.
Digital radio is a huge upgrade from analog handhelds where repeaters don't hear you well enough. One must try it out.

W9MT Rating: 4/5 Dec 1, 2017 12:29 Send this review to a friend
Great fun to price ratio.  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I own both the Radioddity GD-77 and the TYT MD-380. I bought the ‘77 to try a different brand, have dual band capability, have a working radio in the event I brick the ‘380 if I get brave enough to try a “tools software overlay”, and not have to deal with the trackball of TYT’s MD-2017.

Both radios work great with my SharkRF openSPOT and have excellent transmit audio. The ‘77 has a low volume digital “squeeging noise” on receive audio that goes away at higher volume settings when using the internal speaker. It vanishes at all volume settings when using an external speaker-mike.

This is my 2nd GD-77. The original stopped transmitting after about 45 minutes of on the air use. (Same codeplug settings...radio died.) Hooray for Amazon standing behind what they sell.

Overall, I’m happy with my GD-77, but the MD-380’s performance is closer to that of a commercial use radio.