Reviews Categories | Antenna Analyzers | FunkAmateur Vector Antenna Analyzer FA-VA4 Help

Reviews Summary for FunkAmateur Vector Antenna Analyzer FA-VA4
FunkAmateur Vector Antenna Analyzer FA-VA4 Reviews: 4 Average rating: 5.0/5 MSRP: $139
Description: A vector antenna analyzer for single port measurements from 100 kHz to 100 MHz. Based DG5MK's article in May/June 2017 QEX. Easy to build "semi-kit" with all SMD parts pre-assembled.
More info: http://www.box73.com/product/5

You can write your own review of the FunkAmateur Vector Antenna Analyzer FA-VA4.

NO9E Rating: 5/5 Oct 11, 2017 18:27 Send this review to a friend
Extra accurate without computer  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
There are many antenna analyzers on the market. Heavy and obsolete like MFJ-259. Easy to use like RigExpert, with accurate SWR but lower impedance accuracy. Very accurate and wideband, like VNWA 3E, that require a computer.

FA-VA4 is a bit harder to use because of only 3 buttons. But after calibration, without a computer and with included loads, it is very accurate for impedance measurements. This means you can measure coils, toroids or baluns for losses, something that is impossible with less accurate devices. Also for accurate selection of coils/caps/transformers in antenna matching. All without a computer.

The device is pretty small and takes 2 AA batteries. For a low price it has a unique place.

VA3VF Rating: 5/5 Sep 16, 2017 11:49 Send this review to a friend
Nice tool at a good price.  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Kit arrived in 10 days. Good packaging.

This brief review is to say that assembling the kit was quick and easy. Most of the components are pre-soldered.

Follow the youtube video on the manufacturers page, if you don't want to read the instructions.

First power up was perfect. Calibration took less than 15 minutes.

Now to explore all the functions and 'treat' the antennas.

KZ1X Rating: 5/5 Aug 19, 2017 06:42 Send this review to a friend
nice value  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Kit arrived in 15 days after order was placed. Came USPS First Class for 5.8 Euro (about US$6.80) shipping charge from Germany.

The case is very nicely designed and fabricated, far better than average.

I was able to assemble the unit in about 25 minutes. It worked perfectly on first power up.

The kit includes the calibration elements: short, open, and 50 ohms. There is an automated function to calibrate the unit over its whole range. Takes a few minutes but very simple.

The frequency coverage range goes way low, so as to allow use on new allocations. And it covers past 6 meters (and 4 meters for the Europeans allowed there), but not 2 meters.

Power is from a pair of internal AA cells. I don't have enough time on the unit yet to say how long these will last. You have to open the case shell to change these cells and this requires removing 4 screws.

The ultra high quality color manual is a nice surprise. The English language use is perfect.

VE3GLA Rating: 5/5 Aug 17, 2017 13:44 Send this review to a friend
great addition to my shack  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
For years, I'd been using my trusty and beloved old MFJ-259B antenna analyzer. But it was bulky, heavy, used up batteries quickly, didn't show graphical information, and only showed the magnitude of the impedance, not the sign. When I learned about the FA-VA4, it seemed ideal for what I wanted --and the price was very attractive -- so I ordered one. I was not disappointed.

It is a kit, but the hard parts were pre-assembled. All I had to do was read the manual and then solder a few connectors and switches, plus turn a few screws. The device came with a quality printed color assembly and user manual --something rare these days! It worked first try.

It is a big step up from my old MFJ. The menus are pretty much self-explanatory and I was able to use it productively right away. Frequencies are entered by push button switches which is a bit less convenient than turning a knob, but for this low price that's OK with me. The antenna connector is a bnc type, so I needed to use a bnc-to-uhf adapter, but I had a bunch lying around my shack so that was not a problem for me.

I really like the small size, light weight and graphical display. The ability to read the actual complex impedance including sign is very useful. It even shows the equivalent capacitance or inductance value for the imaginary part of the impedance which is very handy. I liked the price, too. Excellent value, IMHO.