Reviews Categories | Antennas: VHF/UHF+ Omnidirectional: verticals, mobile, etc | Ed Fong TBJ-1 triband vertical Help

Reviews Summary for Ed Fong TBJ-1 triband vertical
Reviews: 8 Average rating: 4.8/5 MSRP: $60
Description: 7' tall PVC antenna with UHF female or N female connector on the bottom.
Antenna has low SWR on 2m, 220 and 440 bands.
More info: http://edsantennas.weebly.com

You can write your own review of the Ed Fong TBJ-1 triband vertical.

KB6TYN Rating: 5/5 Jun 6, 2018 15:55 Send this review to a friend
Awsome Value  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I use this antenna on my traveling repeater. It works as well, if not better than some commercial antennas I have tried. Very easy to assemble.

KK6DUO Rating: 5/5 Jun 6, 2018 15:50 Send this review to a friend
Best Antenna I Have Ever Used Hands Down  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have been using this antenna for well over a year now and I just can't say enough great things about it. I have been using this antenna with FT-60. I use it in my cabin in the Sierra's.

I plan to buy another one soon. 5 Stars all the way!

N6MQF Rating: 5/5 Jun 6, 2018 15:45 Send this review to a friend
Awesome Antenna   Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I have own the TBJ-1 now for 6 months and love it. It has good SWR on all three bands.

It is simple to put up and serves my purpose of hitting all the local repeaters on all three bands.

This antenna was a perfect companion for my BTECH UV25x4. Not too expensive, yet very functional.

You also can’t beat the price at $60.

KX4IZ Rating: 5/5 May 2, 2018 15:05 Send this review to a friend
Great Antenna!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I purchased an Ed Fong Triband antenna, and wow, what a difference it made
over my ground plane quarter wave. I went from scratchy audio to full
quieting. I have it mounted on a 20 foot mast, I'm 23 miles from the
repeater, and everyone says my audio is perfect.

I also purchased one of his commercial (155Mhz) antennas for my scanner, and my
scanner has never sounded so good.

Ed was great with his customer service, I am very happy with this antenna,
and would recommend it to anyone.

AH6QO Rating: 5/5 Mar 20, 2018 13:43 Send this review to a friend
Great antenna! Does what it was designed for.  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
What I wanted was an antenna that would allow me to use the new inexpensive tri-band (144/220/440) radios at the house and for Emcomm operations. That's what I got with the Ed Fong TBJ-1 antenna. It's easy to mount with hose clamps at home or bungee cords out in the field. It's light weight and does not break in the wind. The coax connector is easy to get to even when mounted (a plus for emcomm field operations!) and takes just a few wraps of 3M Super 33+ tape to temporarily weatherproof it or add some Coax Seal for home installation. I would have given up some gain for all the other goodness I got from this antenna, but I didn't have to. I am hitting repeaters I couldn't hit with antennas of similar size and the same repeaters as my Big Name antennas costing twice as much on 2m/440. So I get the 220 band for free! This antenna is so popular our club ordered 20 antennas. I have used the TBJ-1 at home in some heavy gusts with no ill effects, now for a couple of months. I have a spare that I throw in my car (easy since no radials) for portable use or for demos. I now have three of them. I'm building go-kits around a couple of 144/220/440 inexpensive radios and supply them with the TBJ-1. What more can I say?

KI6AZB Rating: 5/5 Feb 5, 2018 22:13 Send this review to a friend
This is a superb triband antenna.   Time owned: 3 to 6 months
TBJ-1 Review

I saw Ed Fong’s TBJ-1 triband antenna in the March 2017 QST issue. It is 6ft long and it is enclosed in ¾ inch 200 psi pvc pipe. Two connector types are available, SO-239 or N type. I chose the SO-239 connector for my version.

This antenna is priced at $60 for the antenna, plus shipping cost. For more information you can go to edsantennas.weebly.com.

The TBJ-1 antenna performs really well on the 144 MHz, 220 MHz, and 440 MHz bands. It is built with a rugged PVC pipe unit that has no radial elements, which provides for mounting it in many more places than working with ground plane antennas.

Far field transmitting tests (e.g., ~ 5 miles between transmitting and receiving antennas) on the TBJ-1 were done on all three bands and compared to a reference ground plane antenna for each band. The transmitting and receiving frequencies were 146.520 MHz, 223.500 MHz, and 446.030 MHz simplex.

With a Hewlett Packard 8594E spectrum analyzer, relative signal strengths were measured. The results showed that the TBJ-1 tri band antenna was equivalent in signal strength to each of the three ground plane antennas. Signal strength comparisons were within about 0.5 dB, the margin of error.

In its price range I therefore highly recommend this antenna. The only other triband base antenna I know of is the Comet CX-333 (that includes radial elements) which sells for about $180.

This excellent antenna will work well with the latest BTECH UV-5X3 triband handie talkie, or with the newer low cost triband mobile transceivers such as the BTECH UV-25X4 and the QYT KT-8900R.

In summary, my rating is 5 out of 5 stars.

Ron Quan
KI6AZB
05 February 2018

K3NXU Rating: 5/5 Jan 5, 2018 20:37 Send this review to a friend
Excellent results and portability  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
After running one of Ed Fong’s DBJ-1 antennas for over a year, I decided to give his TBJ-1 for the addition of the 220MHz band. Performance wise, I couldn’t be more pleased.

Due to space restrictions, my preference is a J-Pole style antenna with no radials. The antenna is only 20’ up, and the 220MHz coverage is excellent. 25 miles to the repeater with a 5W handheld is typical.

I added a small stainless steel eye hook to the top PVC cap on mine and cemented both caps in place. The reason for this was my using the antenna for double duty. As well as a tri-band base antenna, it is also my preferred antenna for portable and EmComm. With help of a launcher to get the initial nylon cord over a branch, the TBJ-1 makes the ideal Field Day antenna. With no radials involved, hoisting the antenna into place as well as de-installation is a breeze.

SWR was less than 1.4:1 on all 3 bands. Performance wise, I’d put it up against any 6’ vertical or J-Pole on the market.

KA2DEW Rating: 3/5 Sep 2, 2017 10:22 Send this review to a friend
durable-no radials-low gain  Time owned: more than 12 months
The antenna is excellent for tossing in the back of a truck with no preparation, taking it directly from operational to storage. The lack of ground radials and low-tech housing make the thing trivial to maintain, repair, install and remove from service.

The only failings of the antenna are: 1. very low radiation gain. 2. no waterproofing on the coax connector. 3. no included mounting hardware.

I did a test on the antenna by placing a ground plane at the top of a 20' mast behind a 12' high house, and making 9 contacts to repeaters. I moved the mount to another random location 5' away or so, then made another 9 contacts. Then moved again and did 9 again. I trimmed the ground plane when moving from 2m to 220, and again to 440. I then placed a Comet CX333 antenna in the same location and made the same 27 contacts. Then did the Ed Fong TBJ-1 and did the same. My test was to see what kind of power output I needed (adjustable in 1dB increments) to just key the repeater. BTW, this took 4 hours to perform with help! I then averaged the results across each band.

My results showed that the CX333 was a few dB better than the ground plane, though my error was up to 2dB. The Ed Fong showed 10dB below the CX333 on 440, 6dB below on 220 and almost the same gain as the CX333 on 2m, maybe 1dB down.

I contacted Ed Fong about these results and we had a very nice phone call for an hour last week. He said that he was designing the antennas to be durable and cheap, low SWR, and to have no ground radials. He had no intention of competing with Comet. These are priorities and I can affirm that he has achieved these goals. The SWR on the antenna was great on all repeater frequencies on all 3 bands.