Reviews Categories | QRP Radios (5 watts or less) | XIEGU X5105 Help

XIEGU X5105 Reviews: 12 Average rating: 4.3/5 MSRP: $$650
Description: Basic Specifications
Frequency range:
Receive: 500kHz-30MHz 50MHz-54MHz
Transmitting: 160 meters -6 meters (Amateur band only)
Operating mode: A1A(CW),A3E(AM),J3E(USB/LSB),F3E(FM)
Weight: 0.94Kg[host only]

Transmitter parameters
Transmitter power:5W(SSB/CW/FM),1.5W(AM carrier),
@13.8VDC
Modulation mode: SSB balanced modulation/AM low level
amplitude modulation/FM
Variable reactance frequency modulation
FM Maximum frequency swing: 5kHz
spur reduction: -45dB
Carrier suppression: >40dB
Sideband spurious: >50dB
SSB frequency response: 400Hz-2800Hz(-6dB)
Microphone impedance: 200-10k(conventional 600Ω)
More info: http://www.cqxiegu.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=63

You can write your own review of the XIEGU X5105.

W8IJN Rating: 2/5 Sep 9, 2019 02:31 Send this review to a friend
Nice try: Needs serious QC  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I bought my X5105 directly from Radioddity, the firm that ships for Amazon. In fact, it came from a shipping point in Kentucky inside an Amazon shipping box.
. . . According to the Radioddity site, the radio was supposed to come with the most recent firmware version. This is not what I got. I got a radio with firmware version V1.0.06 of November 11, 2018. So the display & metering functions that are part of the most recent firmware are not what the radio had when I turned it on.
. . . I brought this up with the FaceBook X5105 membership and was informed that I was lucky. Apparently the V1.0.06 firmware is more stable or reliable or functional than the most recent firmware. So I left it at that. (I am loathe to engage in firmware upgrades on stuff that I spend money on, which stuff is/was supposed to be the most recent firmware. I don't like checking or repairing other people's work. I don't get paid enough to do that.)
. . . I turned on the radio, put it on 40m in CW mode and was immediately bothered by what I took to be obvious distortion in the noise and signal levels. I turned on the attentuator but that had little effect. The noise was a bit less distorted in USB mode on the same band.
. . . I then spent the next couple hours getting familiar with the various buttons and menu functions. I hooked up a Begali Pearl and set up the CW functions. I hooked up the microphone and tried the radio on LSB using a dummy load. I listened to the signals on my IC718. The CW sounded good; the first dit wasn't clipped and the t/r turnaround time seemed pretty decent. (I subsequently changed the t/r to 600ms.) On SSB it was kinda weird. I used the onboard mic and noticed that there is a slight delay between me speaking and what I heard on the Icom's receiver, as if I were listening to an old tape recorder with a delay playback monitor. No biggie. At least I had a nice sounding signal.
. . . I hooked up an antenna (Hustler 4BTV in the backyard) and heard a special event station in Missouri. Gave him a call & we had a short QSO. He gave me a 58 report. That was good enough for then. I had other chores to do so I let the radio sit for a while. When I got back to it, I switched to CW and gave a CQ. Ended up connecting with a guy in North Carolina. He gave me a 579 report & we chatted for about 20 minutes. Then it was time for lunch.
. . . I got out the soldering iron and put a connector on the pigtail for the power cable so I could power the radio with the Samlex 1223 supply that runs all the other stuff in the shack. Powered up the radio no problem.
. . . At which point I started exploring the deep menu settings. Reducing the RF gain did just that, but without much change in the still bothersom distorted AF that sounded line receiver overload. I tried the primordial PSK decoder. It appeared to work well enough, when I could find someone still using PSK31. Then I set up some memories, putting in the five US 60m frequencies.
. . . That's when the fun started.
. . . Suddenly I had no SSB signal unless I turned on the compressor.
. . . It took me all afternoon to figure this out: When the radio was tied to the power supply, if I went into a menu and came back to try SSB, the mic was as good as dead until I turned on the compressor. I thought it was a heat problem but it did the same thing when I left it sit for a couple hours during dinner: Powered up on the supply, adjust a menu function, the SSB transmit with either the internal or external would be dead. Turn off the radio, disconnect the supply & turn the radio back on, the SSB would function again. Turn off the radio, plug in the supply, turn on the radio: SSB works. Adjust a menu -- any menu -- and SSB transmit would go south.
. . . Once I figured that out, I let things stand for a while and played with the memory functions. That's when I noticed that the screen would get weird. Like the numbers on the screen would be overlaid with some numbers -- some of the same numbers on the large display -- by smaller versions of the same numbers. Going out of the V/M setting -- back and forth from VFO to memory -- would clear this but it made me wonder what else would go wrong. Like memories disappearing, as in: I couldn't find 'em. I knew there was a frequency & mode encoded on memory position 7 but I couldn't get to memory 7. I could go to 6 and 8 but the dial skipped 7. So I rewrote the memory and it showed up. But then memory 3 disappeared. Same thing. On and on like that until I just turned the radio off and set to this review.
. . . Suffice it to say that my original thoughts about the radio -- given the non-current firmware as promised by the vendor was not what I got -- and my appreciation of it began to cloud up even more.
. . . I had a couple QSOs on it and got good signal reports. Heard stations in Europe during the contest that weekend on 20m and later on 30m. Set memories and could almost use 'em. Sends good CW. Decoded some PSK. Adjusted power. Used the ATU on some wire strung in trees. All that. It was -- note that I said WAS -- a pretty nice little QRP radio. Small, practical, nominally ergonomic, all the good stuff.
. . . But it is and remains unreliable. Having SSB disappear just by going into a memory function and back is bad juju. Display vagaries, memory disappearances, distorted audio, all that adds up to a no-fun experience.
. . . If I can't get Radioddity to fix or replace this one, I'm afraid I'll treat it the same way I treated my first Xiegu radio experience (I bought one of the first X1M dogs): I'll sell it at a loss and never touch another Xiegu radio again. Twice bitten.

SP6CTC Rating: 3/5 Jun 10, 2019 18:46 Send this review to a friend
Good but no cw rig  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
At the beginning, I would like to emphasize that due to its simplicity and efficiency, the basic emission on QRP radio is the cw (A1). X5105 is an example of how to build a radio (or software, btw.my version is V1.0.06) by people who have no idea about the issue of the cw. It is not enough that the radio does not have the possibility of transmitting cw after pressing PTT (with QSK disconnected), it is impossible to transmit cw when setting the switching times rx / tx below 100ms (the setting range available in the menu is from 0 ms!).
Other disadvantages noted are:
- high sensitivity of the radio to the RF field, also its own transmitter,
- it is not possible to smoothly adjust the received bandwidth,
- it is not possible to choose the width of the broadcast band at SSB,
- no possibility of tuning the symmetrical BFO tuning (in my radio I noticed differences in the setting of LSB and USB filters with also cw and cwR),
- no possibility to monitor your own SSB signal,
- WPM speed changes when switching to transmit,
- electrical diagrams of the device are not available.
As a buyer and user of this radio, I expect XIEGU to quickly introduce changes that I hope will eliminate at least the most of the abovementioned disadvantages. As the enthusiast of telegraphy emission, despite of other good features, for today I give a only 3/5 rating.

EI3IBB Rating: 5/5 Jun 8, 2019 15:11 Send this review to a friend
Great little radio !  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This is a great little radio, I use it portable with a hyendcompany.nl portable mini 4 band 100 watt end fed, no radials and no earth. First time I used this antenna in my mothers I got into Slovenia on 20 meters from Ireland with the X5105, mounted about 20-25 feet in the air between two trees, He called , I answered and he heard me straight away, first time. Good antenna for this radio when portable.

The tuner is brilliant. Will tune pretty much anything. But don't really need it with the 4 band endfed from hyendcompany.But I have used it to tune random lengths of wire and my myantennas.com base antenna the 8010 on 160 and 60 meters no problem.

To make use of as much of the 5 watts as possible using a resonant antenna will be better than using the tuner but it's useful for flattening our any swr that may exist.

Receiver can be a bit noisy on the lower bands but I have been lucky enough to test the upcoming firmware and NR is good but NB does nothing so far , it does not reduce electric fence noise However this is at my QTH and I'll be mainly using it portable and not on 80 meters and the FW I am using right now is in beta, NB never did anything anyway. It shows Xiegu are committed to keeping this transceiver updated.

Battery life is good and saves carrying around a separate battery and it's much better then others that have to use AA NiMh cells and it outputs full power until depleted.

The SWR analyzer is a very handy feature !

I have not yet used any digital modes.

It's a good radio , as good as the elecrafts ? I don't know , I don't have one but can it be almost 3 times as good to reflect the price ( E.U price ), does it have Lithium battery and can it output full power to the end ?

The X5105 is a good little radio and I'm making contacts on it and that's what it's all about. Throw in a small bag with a small end fed antenna and find a tree or get spiderbeam 12 m pole and off you go.

KJ6MC Rating: 4/5 Apr 27, 2019 08:03 Send this review to a friend
Nice, in spite of MFJ  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I was worried at first. The fact that MFJ was selling these was a definite negative, as, after two decades of experience, I have always associated MFJ with low-quality products and lack of customer service to match. But the X5105 is an excellent radio in spite of MFJ. A completely self-contained, well-thought out and exceptionally easy to use radio, don't let the unfortunate stain of the association with MFJ dissuade you from an otherwise great radio.

2M0AYZ Rating: 5/5 Feb 6, 2019 14:08 Send this review to a friend
Very nice rig for QRP portable.  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I've been using mine for a while now, and haven't had any issues with it at all. The build-quality is very good. It feels robust and solid. The kickstand (legs) are just right for portable operations. The display is good even in sunlight. The DSP and filters work very well. The battery and built-in ATU are what sealed the deal for me. It's a very complete radio.

I can't think of anything else to say.

It just works.

K2GK Rating: 4/5 Sep 6, 2018 16:55 Send this review to a friend
Like it a lot.  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
In my humble opinion the FT-817-818 line of QRP radios are the most "Adorable" and Pleasurable radios to see and use. Like a full size Yaesu but shrunken down and only 5 watts.

I'm fortunate to have some disposable funds available and bought one of the X5105 radios from MFJ several months ago.
Very impressed with it and no problems at all with anything. It has a couple of features the Yaesus do not have like auto tuner and SWR analyser. Shame it does not have the VHF/UHF that Yaesus do. For me the VHF is used often.
Any how... You will not be disappointed with the Xiegu X5105. For the money ($669) gets you a quite nice little QRP package. BTW, get the hub at the same time if you are interested in digital communications with your computer. 73 de k2gk

KB6LA Rating: 5/5 Aug 23, 2018 21:12 Send this review to a friend
A very good QRP rig for the money  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I picked up an X5105 second-hand in mint condition. I found it to have a very good receiver, and the tuner is definitely a capable piece of hardware. I don't do too much mobile work, but I wanted to tune down to 40m and forgot I still had a 20m stick on my mag mount. The SWR was off the charts when I tuned down, but I ran the ATU, it tuned up, and I logged a contact before I decided to get up and change the stick!

For the money, it has some cool high-end features, like an SWR spectrum function where you can view the SWR between certain bandwidths, both with the antenna hooked up to the tuner and direct.

To be honest, I'd probably give the rig a 4/5 (still a very good rating), but I decided to go with the 5/5 because of the service!

The rig was purchased by the original owner direct from China, so MFJ would not service it. A few weeks ago, it went deaf - couldn't hear any sort of signal except for really strong AM signals. So I emailed Xiegu with a description and video of the problem, and they had me send it back to them. I just had to pay for return shipping to China, but they repaired for free it in 2 days, sent it UPS Expedited back to me for no additional charge, and I had it back in my hands 2 days after that. That is better service than some commercial radio manufacturers I deal with in the USA!! When I have done the "overseas rig" thing in the past, I just figured the cheaper price was a bet I'd never need service, but in this case, color me impressed.

KI2H Rating: 5/5 Aug 19, 2018 23:07 Send this review to a friend
A perfect QRP rig for me  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I purchased the Xiegu X5105 to complete my HAM travel kit. It is small, light, and durable. I have used it with and without the hand mic. I've made contacts using random wires, telescoping antennae, and a homemade dipole. The built-in antenna tuner works great. When using a manual external tuner, I'm able to switch to the X5105's SWR monitor and quickly see how the adjustments affect SWR.

I was a bit disappointed at first after opening the box and not finding a power supply. Using the supplied power adapters, I was able to converted an old laptop 15v power supply to meet the X5105's needs. In addition, I was able to use a 2nd power adapter to convert my solar panels plug to be able to power/charge the X5105. The solar panels produce more than enough power for the X5105. The internal battery is more than sufficient for my needs. But I am confident if I need to hook up an external battery it will work fine also.

I am looking forward to working on PSK31 and other digital modes as well. Receiving and decoding PSK31 has been fun. I have purchased a accessories so that I can transmit on PSK31 without a computer. I will be writing more on the X5105 on my blog as I gain more experience with it. But for now this is my post on it: http://www.n8psi.info/2018/07/new-trans.html

M0CLS Rating: 5/5 Aug 9, 2018 20:46 Send this review to a friend
Great Portable  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
As portable as you can get in a HF set. Small, battery powered, fantastic ATU, big screen, speech processor, DSP, the list goes on! I use mine for both SSB and Digital FT8 and it works extremely well. The battery lasts a very long time and the tuner will tune almost any antenna you throw at it!

I pondered and pondered whether to buy this radio, my main concern was the fact it was not made by one of the top brands. But after reading only great reviews I decided to buy one. Im glad I did! If you like SOTA or backpacking this radio will be perfect for you! I use mine with a bandspringer antenna from Sotabeams and that set up works really well. 5w from the top of a hill with a length of wire and a built in speech processor to boot feels more like 300w from my usual qth.

If your wanting a portable qrp transceiver and come across this then buy one, you seriously wont regret it!

GM3RQQ Rating: 5/5 Jul 28, 2018 09:47 Send this review to a friend
Easy to use  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
The X5105 is very easy to control with all knobs easy to access and a very nice display. It all feels right. The ATU is terrific. Just press the button and it tunes the X5105 to most antennas, as simple as that. It can also do a SWR scan displaying the swr as a graph. Only con is the mini din and some sockets are recessed and some plugs dont make good contact.