Reviews Categories | QRP Radios (5 watts or less) | XIEGU X5105 Help

XIEGU X5105 Reviews: 8 Average rating: 4.8/5 MSRP: $$650
Description: Basic Specifications
Frequency range:
Receive: 500kHz-30MHz 50MHz-54MHz
Transmitting: 160 meters -6 meters (Amateur band only)
Operating mode: A1A(CW),A3E(AM),J3E(USB/LSB),F3E(FM)
Weight: 0.94Kg[host only]

Transmitter parameters
Transmitter power:5W(SSB/CW/FM),1.5W(AM carrier),
@13.8VDC
Modulation mode: SSB balanced modulation/AM low level
amplitude modulation/FM
Variable reactance frequency modulation
FM Maximum frequency swing: 5kHz
spur reduction: -45dB
Carrier suppression: >40dB
Sideband spurious: >50dB
SSB frequency response: 400Hz-2800Hz(-6dB)
Microphone impedance: 200-10k(conventional 600Ω)
More info: http://www.cqxiegu.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=63

You can write your own review of the XIEGU X5105.

2M0AYZ Rating: 5/5 Feb 6, 2019 14:08 Send this review to a friend
Very nice rig for QRP portable.  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I've been using mine for a while now, and haven't had any issues with it at all. The build-quality is very good. It feels robust and solid. The kickstand (legs) are just right for portable operations. The display is good even in sunlight. The DSP and filters work very well. The battery and built-in ATU are what sealed the deal for me. It's a very complete radio.

I can't think of anything else to say.

It just works.

K2GK Rating: 4/5 Sep 6, 2018 16:55 Send this review to a friend
Like it a lot.  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
In my humble opinion the FT-817-818 line of QRP radios are the most "Adorable" and Pleasurable radios to see and use. Like a full size Yaesu but shrunken down and only 5 watts.

I'm fortunate to have some disposable funds available and bought one of the X5105 radios from MFJ several months ago.
Very impressed with it and no problems at all with anything. It has a couple of features the Yaesus do not have like auto tuner and SWR analyser. Shame it does not have the VHF/UHF that Yaesus do. For me the VHF is used often.
Any how... You will not be disappointed with the Xiegu X5105. For the money ($669) gets you a quite nice little QRP package. BTW, get the hub at the same time if you are interested in digital communications with your computer. 73 de k2gk

KB6LA Rating: 5/5 Aug 23, 2018 21:12 Send this review to a friend
A very good QRP rig for the money  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I picked up an X5105 second-hand in mint condition. I found it to have a very good receiver, and the tuner is definitely a capable piece of hardware. I don't do too much mobile work, but I wanted to tune down to 40m and forgot I still had a 20m stick on my mag mount. The SWR was off the charts when I tuned down, but I ran the ATU, it tuned up, and I logged a contact before I decided to get up and change the stick!

For the money, it has some cool high-end features, like an SWR spectrum function where you can view the SWR between certain bandwidths, both with the antenna hooked up to the tuner and direct.

To be honest, I'd probably give the rig a 4/5 (still a very good rating), but I decided to go with the 5/5 because of the service!

The rig was purchased by the original owner direct from China, so MFJ would not service it. A few weeks ago, it went deaf - couldn't hear any sort of signal except for really strong AM signals. So I emailed Xiegu with a description and video of the problem, and they had me send it back to them. I just had to pay for return shipping to China, but they repaired for free it in 2 days, sent it UPS Expedited back to me for no additional charge, and I had it back in my hands 2 days after that. That is better service than some commercial radio manufacturers I deal with in the USA!! When I have done the "overseas rig" thing in the past, I just figured the cheaper price was a bet I'd never need service, but in this case, color me impressed.

N8PSI Rating: 5/5 Aug 19, 2018 23:07 Send this review to a friend
A perfect QRP rig for me  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I purchased the Xiegu X5105 to complete my HAM travel kit. It is small, light, and durable. I have used it with and without the hand mic. I've made contacts using random wires, telescoping antennae, and a homemade dipole. The built-in antenna tuner works great. When using a manual external tuner, I'm able to switch to the X5105's SWR monitor and quickly see how the adjustments affect SWR.

I was a bit disappointed at first after opening the box and not finding a power supply. Using the supplied power adapters, I was able to converted an old laptop 15v power supply to meet the X5105's needs. In addition, I was able to use a 2nd power adapter to convert my solar panels plug to be able to power/charge the X5105. The solar panels produce more than enough power for the X5105. The internal battery is more than sufficient for my needs. But I am confident if I need to hook up an external battery it will work fine also.

I am looking forward to working on PSK31 and other digital modes as well. Receiving and decoding PSK31 has been fun. I have purchased a accessories so that I can transmit on PSK31 without a computer. I will be writing more on the X5105 on my blog as I gain more experience with it. But for now this is my post on it: http://www.n8psi.info/2018/07/new-trans.html

M0CLS Rating: 5/5 Aug 9, 2018 20:46 Send this review to a friend
Great Portable  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
As portable as you can get in a HF set. Small, battery powered, fantastic ATU, big screen, speech processor, DSP, the list goes on! I use mine for both SSB and Digital FT8 and it works extremely well. The battery lasts a very long time and the tuner will tune almost any antenna you throw at it!

I pondered and pondered whether to buy this radio, my main concern was the fact it was not made by one of the top brands. But after reading only great reviews I decided to buy one. Im glad I did! If you like SOTA or backpacking this radio will be perfect for you! I use mine with a bandspringer antenna from Sotabeams and that set up works really well. 5w from the top of a hill with a length of wire and a built in speech processor to boot feels more like 300w from my usual qth.

If your wanting a portable qrp transceiver and come across this then buy one, you seriously wont regret it!

GM3RQQ Rating: 5/5 Jul 28, 2018 09:47 Send this review to a friend
Easy to use  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
The X5105 is very easy to control with all knobs easy to access and a very nice display. It all feels right. The ATU is terrific. Just press the button and it tunes the X5105 to most antennas, as simple as that. It can also do a SWR scan displaying the swr as a graph. Only con is the mini din and some sockets are recessed and some plugs dont make good contact.

NU6I Rating: 5/5 Jul 24, 2018 22:32 Send this review to a friend
great radio  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
In my previous review I was complaining about one of the radio's keyer input dying.
Well, I liked the radio so much for all its features that when I had the opportunity
to buy a used one, I did. I had the same problem with the keyer except that this one
came with a box of accessories including spare stereo jacks. After reading the review
of AA4EX and replacing the jack from my paddle with one that came with
the radio everything now works fine. The first ones came without anything except
the radio and the mike.
I am really happy that it worked out and I hope that I didn't discourage anybody to
buy one. It is an excellent radio. And a keeper.

AA4EX Rating: 4/5 May 29, 2018 14:25 Send this review to a friend
AA4EX  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Good QRP rig .Everything included in one box.
The issue that is a little irritating is that it used non-standard 3.5 mm plugs for key and acc.
A normal 3.5 mm plug will not make complete contact. It comes supplied with the right plug.
The correct plug has an extension before the rings that makes it a little longer than the usual 3.5 mm plug. The correct plug can be obtained from Ebay.
Otherwise everything works well, tuner ,battery, menu , audio , ect. I am pleased and intend to keep the rig.