Reviews Categories | Transceivers: HF Amateur HF+6M+VHF+UHF models - not QRP <5W | ICOM IC-7610 Help

Reviews Summary for ICOM IC-7610
ICOM IC-7610 Reviews: 65 Average rating: 4.8/5 MSRP: $5,245.00 AUD
Description: NEW ICOM HF Radio IC-7610
More info: http://www.icomamerica.com/en/products/amateur/hf/7610/default.aspx

You can write your own review of the ICOM IC-7610 .

WB6UQA Rating: 5/5 Oct 17, 2018 20:07 Send this review to a friend
Very Good  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
You can transmit on the second vfo by pressing the split button.You can go on the second receiver and turn on the NB and NR.I have a IC 7300 but use the 7610 more.

KB2EOQ Rating: 4/5 Oct 16, 2018 20:51 Send this review to a friend
Very Good but a few things Icom could add   Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I am quite happy with this transceiver now that Icom kept their promise to add direct I/Q out . Prior to that, I could not consider it a TRUE SDR. I took one star off because of the way Icom chose to unveil I/Q via HDSDR and not give other authors a chance to develop use of I/Q . It would be REALLY nice if the Icom interfaced better with CW Skimmer and/or SDR-Radio Console. Icom could thrill the world if they could add FT8 via a firmware update, I'm not sure if that is possible.

Another missing feature is lack of ability to transmit from the second receiver side. Under most circumstances , if you want to transmit to someone you are hearing in receiver 2, you have to flip the VFOs so that B becomes A. For casual users not a big deal, but it is a bit of a hassle. Similarly, you have to do some gymnastics to stop software with CAT control from reverting to VFO A if you are using software (like WSJX, Fldigi, RMS Express) to monitor VFO B. For keeping an eye on several digital mode bands at same time, I find the Flex 6000 radios to be more "flexible" .
While several reviews have mentioned how well laid out the radio is, I do find a few things on the right-hand side difficult to find in a darkened room and the "change" VFOs button is hard to quickly reach.
The menu system and touch screen access is pretty good but awfully confusing at first , even when reading the manual . The on screen "scope" is very good, you can make many useful adjustments to the default setting. The scope to monitor your own transmissions is VERY useful . Sitting at a desk and operating the radio is a pleasure, it "feels" like a real radio but with all bells and whistles . Forget the temptation to use a big screen monitor and external 'scope" displays. They look pretty but you don't really need them unless your vision is EXTREMELY impaired . The remote capability via Win4IcomSuite by VA2FSQ is very useful and easy to set up.
I have owned 9 other HF transceivers over the years, NONE have caused the same reaction I experienced when I first turned on the 7610 with antennas connected , the quietest receiver I have experienced . CW is really a joy on this radio. The bult in CW Keyer is very functional. The RTTY and PSK31 decode/encode works well , not as deep-in-the mud decode as MMTTY or TT , but overall quite good. Commander and Winwarbler from DX Lab Suite make logging a 7610 via CAT control easy (throw out HRD ... please ! ) . The internal antenna tuner is "OK", but it will not even try to tune anything over a 3:1 SWR (maybe that is good because it has forced me to make my antennas more resonant) .

Finally, an SD card for saving configurations is the best thing since sliced bread with bacon. It has saved me many times . The SD card will become a close friend.

Andy K3UK (ex KB2EOQ)

F6DFY Rating: 5/5 Oct 8, 2018 16:03 Send this review to a friend
Amazing  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
The best transceiver in its price range.
The only one has two wonderful identical receiver, even three with the I / Q output on the latest software version.

Used in shack with two speakers Roland, excellent audio, almost stereo in position tracking (two VFO same frequency)
In addition,it is really very beautiful.

KW4CQ Rating: 5/5 Sep 29, 2018 23:10 Send this review to a friend
Outstanding radio but horrible user manuals.  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
A truly amazing receiver compared to my Yaesu FTDX-5000. Pulls the weak DX signals right up out of the noise. I give it (5+) for performance, quality, and price.
The User Manuals were poorly written and appear not to have been carefully edited before publication. Full of confusing descriptions and numerous errors. I give the User Manuals a (1) for accuracy, usefulness, and lack of proper editing.

N1JM Rating: 4/5 Sep 26, 2018 04:10 Send this review to a friend
Great Radio Except for Spectrum Scope  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
The spectrum scope needs more vertical gain. It takes a big signal to get it half way up the scale. The fixed tracking is horrible. An Elecraft P3 blows it away. RumloNG and DXLabs cures it but that is external software. Hopefully there might be firmware fixes for these things I've mentioned in the future.

W8BBM Rating: 5/5 Sep 12, 2018 16:41 Send this review to a friend
Awesome!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
After much deliberation I pulled the trigger on the IC-7610 as a retirement gift to myself and have been in awe of it from the moment it arrived and started using it. The receiver is simply incredible and quiet with audio reproduction unlike anything I have tried out of the box. The waterfall display is real-time, crisp and leaving zero guess work with adjustable resolution that is much needed in CW pileups. I love the flexibility of having all the different screen looks and info on the nice big 7" screen which is crisp, HD and very easy to read. Audio scopes are beautiful and crisp in response to both transmit and receiver audio and show up nicely on the display. Reports of the TX audio have been excellent even when using the stock hand mic. The CW is crisp and the full QSK is as smooth as it gets. Using the radio is very intuitive and there is absolutely no way this radio looks or feels like you are using a SDR. Some have complained about the knobs feeling a little loose but they are dual function and present ZERO problem. Hooking up the external display monitor is something that I questioned whether I would like but after only a few short minutes it proved to be a keeper. You will always find those who don't like this or that or haven't had every possible box on their long list of wants checked but make no mistake, this radio is nothing short of awesome and the price at just over $3K is very reasonable for the cutting edge rig you get.

NW8Z Rating: 5/5 Aug 26, 2018 14:11 Send this review to a friend
Awesome Transceiver!!  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Now that Icom Has Allowed I/Q out of USB 2 it's truly an Awesome Transceiver! Love the looks, reception, and the fact that you have dual receive using only one Antenna. Nice big 7 inch Screen. Keep up the good work ICOM and thank you for coming though with your promise to give us I/Q out. Now if you can allow use with other Programs other than just HDSDR that would be great!

NP4L Rating: 5/5 Aug 23, 2018 13:29 Send this review to a friend
Masterpiece  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I've been using the 7610 for about 10 month now. It's a great rig to operate, all the controls are nicely laid out. The receive audio is very good. I get very good reports on my transmit audio. The audio is so good, they say it sounds like I'm next to them talking. I'm using the Heil ICM microphone straight into the rig.

IK0TIX Rating: 5/5 Aug 8, 2018 09:23 Send this review to a friend
IT's simply the state of the art  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Before 7610 I had a 7600. I was very undecided about the change. For me SDR wanted to say Flex Radio. I thought that between 7600 and 7610 I would not have found much difference (even aesthetically they are very similar). I asked for advice and opinions on the eHam forum trying to grasp the truth by reading everyone's opinions. In the end I decided: sold 7600, bought 7610.
What's different between the two? Believe me: many things!
- First of all NR on 7610 is exceptional. The 7600 with NR set to 4 began to have an audio artifact, the 7610 with NR set to 6 still sounds natural but the noise becomes practically absent.
- The second receiver is completely independent, it is actually a second radio on the same antenna with separate controls.
- The twin-PBT suppresses the adjacent signal by stranding very little (as an SDR).
These are the differences that immediately come to my mind and which I found after 3 weeks of use.
Connected an Heil Sound PR781 without mixer or equalizers: it sounds great.
Defects? In my opinion, these are only:
- external monitor is useless. If you connect the mouse you can only click the waterfall area as for the 7600. Icom should extend the use of the mouse to all the functions of the screen. Thus Ham Radio Deluxe would be obsolete and useless. Adding a third monitor to my station at the moment is the display useless; with this function it would probably have been more useful on the 7300
- too many operations to activate the Notch (on the 7600 there was the dedicated button).
As you can see they are very subjective defects.
The 7610 is the state of the art today for Ham Rig

KE2TR Rating: 5/5 Aug 2, 2018 19:55 Send this review to a friend
One Excellent Radio  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
After having owned this radio for a few more months I can say one thing that This Radio is OUTSTANDING and for the price an excellent value in today's radio market. The 7300 was an big jump for Icom in which that has paid off for them in a huge way with over 20,000 sold in over two years time. This radio which has been out since late November of last years has maybe 3000+ radio's sold since then but your looking at over a $3k investment.
It hold's its own in the coveted Sherwood receiver list and to be honest most of the top 25 to 30 radio's are all very good but were it shines is the features that work and with small firmware upgrades just keep getting better. The Noise Blanker and Noise Reduction systems on this rig are some of the best out there, not like comparing to the Flex rigs in which folks are still waiting for those features to work like they should. The digi select feature works great on 40m to eliminate any spurs that pop up from the SWL Hi Power broadcast stations during the witching hours. The selectivity has to be experienced on a crowded band to realize how good it is along with the notch which has over a 70db nul.
All the extra's like a full second RX section with its own digi select and band pass filter network give you the idea that Icom tried to design as much as they could into this package. Little things like the APF and the pitch control brought out to the front panel make this radio a dream to use on CW. I have not even gone into how good the receiver sounds and to be honest I have never once use the pre amp on any band except six, the sensitivity W/O
it is just perfect as far as the signal to noise.
I have no idea what Icom has next up there sleeves but between this radio and there 7851 maybe a 200W built in AC supply SDR would be next IMHO but this radio set the sdr world up side down just like the 7300 did and the sdr with knobs worked as an extremely strong selling point cause you clearly DON'T NEED a computer in the shack to get the most from this puppy, its stand alone and complete.