Reviews Categories | Receivers: General Coverage | Airspy HF+ SDR HF and VHF Receiver Help

Reviews Summary for Airspy HF+ SDR HF and VHF Receiver
Airspy HF+ SDR HF and VHF Receiver Reviews: 9 Average rating: 4.7/5 MSRP: $199.00
Description: Airspy HF+ is a state of the art SDR for HF and VHF
bands.

The HF+ uses very high dynamic range ADCís and front-
ends. It also provides great frequency agility by using
high performance passive mixers with an excellent
polyphase harmonic rejection structure. It is the ideal
companion for light portable high performance operation.
The architecture and level of integration achieved in its
design makes for top performance reception at a very
affordable price.

HF Coverage: 9 kHz to 31 MHz
VHF Coverage: 60 MHz to 260 MHz
More info: http://https://airspy.com/airspy-hf-plus/

You can write your own review of the Airspy HF+ SDR HF and VHF Receiver.

WC2L Rating: 3/5 Dec 8, 2018 16:29 Send this review to a friend
decent product - sub par support  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Purchased an Airspy HF+ in Dec. 2017. The unit works well with N1MM+. The detection is more than likley above average. Setup is simple and reqires litte or no suport. Wish more software companies would support it.

If there is any damage or real support needed, it will not be what you want. You may want to read my company review. Mine died in less than a year.

KB9ERU Rating: 5/5 Nov 9, 2018 00:33 Send this review to a friend
WAY better than RTL-SDR's  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
My setup consisted of 4 Nooelec NESDR Mini 2+ RTL-SDR dongles and a Spyverter. I thought I was doing pretty good in the FT8 multiple receiver department...

After reading a few articles saying the Airspy HF+ was WAY better than the RTL-SDR dongles, I had to try one for myself.

So, I purchased an Airspy HF+, hooked it up and revved up the firmware. It was time to compare it against my existing SDR setup, and the FT-450D.

The Airspy HF+ was easily decoding the weak ones, right alongside the FT-450.

The existing SDR setup? Well... not so much.

Long story short - I'm placing an order for a second Airspy HF+!!

N0GV Rating: 5/5 Mar 5, 2018 21:06 Send this review to a friend
Good - but has it's Limitations  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
First the good:

This is the best currently available HF receiver for under $200.

But it costs about $700!

Don't be deceived; although a good product you are pairing it with a mid-to-upper level laptop and that adds about $500 to the total cost.

Now about that laptop: you probably don't want to run the charger on it while using the radio -- it adds loads of spikes at nearly every multiple of the switching supply's frequency. You also don't want to use any other USB ports unless you are a shielding masoichist. It will pick those up too. It also is quite capable of finding it's own USB port's signals -- a shielded and strangled (thoroughly choked) cable is a necessity. All seriousness aside the aforementioned is true for all of this ilk of receiver. A cheap, poorly shielded computer is a very efficient jammer for all of them. Do your homework and shield the computer and cable. I could even find the screen frequencies for the LED choppers......

The bad news: No UHF and no Low GHz band coverage.

How does it perform: HF is quite good, with a large hispanic shortwave station nearby I was able to find only IMD products below 50dB down from the primary station. Don't ask about the RTL dongle -- it was, politely said, a dog's breakfast on it.

Sensitivity is quite decent -- noise floor where I am is ~ -75dBm. This device easily bests that but then so does any N > 12 bit device (presuming ADC saturation at 0dBm). Biggest signal on my antenna was about +4 to 6 dBm from what I could see. Cuba Libre (or some similar drink I think) here in South Florida is apparently not too far from the QTH I tested at.... Actually as I was pretty oblivious as to the station ID it might have just been the neighbor's pirate station; since it was in spanish (Cubanish - a special subset of Spanish actually) I really do not know how far away it was but the signal was large. Much bigger than the AM Broadcasters were.....

Noise reduction in SDR# was the best I've used; but I am a dinosaur and haven't used much of that until now. This will definitely change!

SDR Console was interesting but I have not spent much time using that. Not a problem but SDR# worked and hence, as it was not broken, I didn't feel compelled to search for a program which was "better".

The Spectrum Spy application does NOT work on this device.

I'll look into Spektrum (3rd party and not fully baked but useful with an RTL dongle). It might work on this - I just do not know yet.

In short - at $200 it is inexpensive and quite good. If you feel you need to go out and buy a laptop for it then it is less so. It is more fun than a barrel of monkeys fighting over a spoiled banana and a pretty decent receiver to boot. I highly recommend it.

K7SHL Rating: 5/5 Mar 4, 2018 12:05 Send this review to a friend
Ideal SDR  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I really enjoy using the Airspy HD+. I prefer to use it with SDRConsole V3, as opposed to the SDR# software. It is a sensitive receiver and works as well in most situations as my Flex6300. I've compared it against an Elad FDM S2 SDR receiver, with both using SDRConsole. There are differences of course, but I prefer the Airspy over the Elad for general DXing.

It is smaller than most cellphones, albeit thicker, and it is easy to take along with a laptop for field excursions.

This little unit is a winner, and it costs only about $200.00. Hard to beat.

W8RMV Rating: 5/5 Feb 17, 2018 10:05 Send this review to a friend
Best Value/Performance  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Works very well with Sharp & Console S/W. Both companies are continually upgrading the software. Plus AIRSPY is now providing simple firmware updates. These updates improve performance & add features. All at no cost. Just download the new firmware & click on the .BAT file & away she goes. Very simple.
Unit comes in a very nice metal enclosure with USB cable. There are 2 very small & bright LEDs. The yellow one tells you the USB cable is connected between the HF+ & computer and powered up. The blue tells you it is up & running with the software on the computer. I also own an SDRPlay RSP2, but I prefer the HF+ performance and the support they provide.

K2LAX Rating: 4/5 Feb 14, 2018 17:32 Send this review to a friend
Better than DX Patrol  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I would recommend using with SDR console V3 to get best reception and filters with seamless interface. Makes a great 2nd radio /pan adapter for monitoring. Reception is impressive but slightly less compared to IC7300 A/B same antennas. I have been using DX Patrol MK4 which is noticeably less receptive.

KC8HXO Rating: 5/5 Jan 31, 2018 15:44 Send this review to a friend
Stupendous value  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Love it.I use several flavors of software with it. Rig has different properties with each flavor of software. Have had 5 different SDR rigs, none of which were the "low dollar" variety. This is my favorite so far. Lots of bang for the buck.

G4OER Rating: 5/5 Jan 21, 2018 09:04 Send this review to a friend
Astounding!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
It's so good I'm wondering why I spent such a lot of money on my Yaesu FTDX5000! Highly recommended especially with Simon Brown's Console program.
If you are just starting out in our hobby, an FT450D and Airspy is pretty much all you're going to need.
Just make sure you don't accidently transmit whilst the airspy is connected to an aerial!!

K4KRW Rating: 5/5 Dec 31, 2017 10:45 Send this review to a friend
Amazing Value - Great Performance  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This SDR connects to a computer via a USB cable. I have used it with a Windows 10 PC (Note - no support for Windows XP). I have used SDR# and also SDR Console V3 for the controlling software.

I also connected it to a Raspberry PI running SpyServer. Spyserver allows you to use the Airspy HF+ over WiFi. Your PC runs SDR Software (SDR# in my case) and gets a data stream from Spyserver running on the Pi. There is a small amount of latency in this configuration. But, it is really nice to be able to browse the bands from anywhere in the house. There is also a Windows version of Spyserver. So, a PC could replace the Pi.

The device is tiny. It is about the size of a credit card. It has a very nice and solid aluminum case. There is an SMA port for HF and one for VHF.

On a windows PC it about as plug and play as anything I've ever seen. Just install your software of choice (SDR# or SDR Console V3 - for example). Then just plug the device into the USB port. Then choose Airspy HF+ in the software. I did not have to load any drivers.

Configuring the Raspberry Pi is a different story. I got it working pretty quickly. However, I'm familiar with Linux. This is one area where you really have to search the web for help.

The receiver's performance is spectacular. I have not had any problem with overloading. I have listened to hams on HF CW and SSB. I have listened to 2 meter FM. Also I have listened to shortwave stations, aircraft frequencies, AM and FM stereo broadcasts. All have sounded great. On HF The receiver seems to be at least as sensitive as the one in my KX3 (which is very good).

I really like this receiver.