Reviews Categories | Amplifiers: RF Power - HF & HF+6M | Elecraft KPA1500 HF+6M Amplifier Help

Reviews Summary for Elecraft KPA1500 HF+6M Amplifier
Elecraft KPA1500 HF+6M Amplifier Reviews: 17 Average rating: 4.8/5 MSRP: $5,995
Description: The Elecraft KPA1500 is a compact, full-legal-limit, solid-state amplifier designed
for reliability and operator convenience. It has the following features:

* 1500 watts
* 160-6 meters
* Space-saving RF deck and separate power supply unit
* Fast, silent PIN diode T/R switching
* Comprehensive, easy-to-read LCD status display
* Fast, bright bar graph displays for power and SWR
* Advanced thermal design using two PA devices and very large heat sink
* Unique fan control system to minimize noise
* Built-in, wide-range antenna tuner with VFO tracking and dual antenna jacks
* Extensive remote control capabilities
* Compatible with nearly any transceiver
More info: http://www.elecraft.com/KPA1500/KPA1500.htm

You can write your own review of the Elecraft KPA1500 HF+6M Amplifier.

W1PEF Rating: 3/5 Nov 30, 2018 02:33 Send this review to a friend
KPA1500 Usage/Issues  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I have a KPA1500 sitting at Elecraft after 6 months usage. I believe Elecraft makes great gear but I'm concerned about the new AMP. My serial number is #173 and the finals failed. I have heard reports that others are having the same issue... 400 series of serial numbers had many failures. The amp faulted on 160m and then would only put out about 500 watts. Sending just the Amp back cost over $200 under warranty. All my other Elecraft gear (K3S, P3, KPA500, KAT500) all work great without issues after 3 years of use. I guess I was expecting(hoping) for the same experience. I will update this review after I get the amp back from Elecraft.

K0JJR Rating: 5/5 Nov 12, 2018 16:32 Send this review to a friend
Noise Update  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Below, I rated this amp 5/5 "despite the noise" from the fans. Subsequently, I downloaded the new firmware version, the notes for which say that it includes "Changed temperatures for fan speeds." It worked. Operating in an RTTY contest, both search and pounce and some significant running at 800W, the real loud, bothersome fan speeds were not activated, so the fan noise was much more tolerable. I now give the amp an unqualified 5/5.

W2PP Rating: 5/5 Nov 2, 2018 16:43 Send this review to a friend
Reminds me of my Alpha 87a  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
If you've read any of my other reviews you will note I am not a guy who justifies his purchase with a glowing review. If the product is not any good believe me I tell you. Look at my most recent post on the Flex 6700, ugh now sold. Its not a review if you don't lay it all out there and help the next guy before he buys a dud. I was pretty aggressive with my use of this amp over the last month plus, contests, RTTY, SSB, and CW...( I count FT 8 as RTTY too )

I've had my amp for a month. Mine has the soon to be released firmware update which addresses several issues, most trivial, one not. The new firmware changes the behavior of the fans in a way that causes them to run fan one longer and thus reduce the need for fan two which is louder, but not terrible frankly. Currently, my fan 1 runs less than 1 percent of the time unless I am really banging on RTTY/FT8, but otherwise is not on at all. Beyond that, the amp is plug and play. I put my Alpha 87a on line in 1994, never tuned it, ignored it but used it a ton, and in 2004 sold it. This amp is the same, tuned the tuner ONCE and I've not touched the amp again. It just works, thus its like my Alpha 87a. I think Elecraft really hit it on this amp.

I'm seeing more than 1500 watts per band too

I can, unconditionally recommend it, and as noted above I am NOT that guy who spends a ton of money and writes a great review to justify to myself what a great decision I made.

N5WNG Rating: 5/5 Oct 1, 2018 12:22 Send this review to a friend
Fantastic but can be noisy  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I owned an ACOM 1000 for about a dozen years, and its fan noise was exceptionally quiet. As a result lets say I am a bit spoiled in that degree.
By contrast when the finals temp in the 1500 hit 60C the fans kick in and certainly are not very quiet. At the highest fan level it becomes very loud, but my experience has been hitting those high speeds is low as I typically keep the power to 6-700 watts.

I found a way to increase the fan turn on time and then shorten its time on by putting a 5 inch quiet PC fan (<50 db) behind the unit that turns on, and stays on, when the amp is one. I suspect two would work even better but have not yet tried that.

Aside from the noise, the amp is remarkable and highly recommended.

N3ETA Rating: 5/5 Aug 7, 2018 00:34 Send this review to a friend
No problem here.  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have to admit some of the posts here and on the Elecraft email reflector regarding the high noise level of the KPA1500 had me a bit concerned. Well...Ive had mine for a bit over a month now and I am not experiencing any of the noise problems described. I have the power supply on one side of my K3S system and the Amp on the other side. All of this is right at eye level (Which means it is also at ear level) and I am not experiencing any of the problems I've heard addressed. Granted I'm not running a digital or CW contesting station but I do fill-in for several net controllers , so were not talking just an occasional short transmission. I actually had to go into the menu and turn the fans on just to see what they sounded like. The db level on the amp power supply is almost non-exesistant (Much less than the fan on my AL-80B) and even with the amp fans turned up to the second level the db level; was about the same or maybe less than my AL-80B. Keep in mind it at bench top level not eye level. I felt I had to say something so anyone thinking of buying one for SSB and casual digital and CW work wouldn't be put off by what they're reading. I realize that a large portion of Elecraft users are big time contesters and a lot are digital users, but this is a fantastic Amp and you should not be put off by reports of high noise levels if your not involved in long the duration transmissions involved with some of todays popular modes. In the 5 weeks I've been using mine the Amp fans have only kicked on once and that was level one while winding up a particularly busy SSB net session. I' wouldn't have even noticed except for the fact that I had to reached over for a new pad of paper putting my ear 10" to 12" from the front of the Amp. I'll admit that I'm in my 60's and I'm a retired sound engineer, but my hearing isn't particularly bad. I don't use hearing aids and I don't have to crank up the volume of a TV to hear it. Maybe Elecraft addressed the noise issue before mine was released, but I haven't seen anything on the Elecraft sites alluding to that fact.
I'll dig out a db meter and report back with some hard figures and further thoughts as I've had more time with it but my first impression of this supposed problem is basically confusion. Maybe I'm missing something but I'm extremely satisfied with my KPA1500 and I would urge anyone thinking of buying one to go for it.
Ron
n3eta

K3PA Rating: 3/5 Jul 29, 2018 17:20 Send this review to a friend
Good amp with a fatal flaw  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Everything you read about the KPA1500 is true. It's a nice, well behaved, high power amp that is fully automatic and easy to deal with. What I cannot understand is the total lack of comment on the fatal flaw of the amplifier. Noise level.

I am accustomed to tube amplifiers. Both my ACOM 2000 and ACOM 1000 are very nearly silent and a pleasure to have in the shack.

The noise from the KPA1500 power supply is already annoying. It alone surpasses the noise I am used to from previous amplifiers.

With the RF deck at its default fan level 0, it is, of course, quiet. At level 1, it is already pretty annoying and well louder than my tube amps. At level 2, which does occur under normal use, it is just not acceptable. I don't know what it takes to get the fan to kick to level 3, 4, or 5, but the fan noise is so high there, you'll think there is a jet in the room. Why is no one noting this? I love Elecraft gear too, but c'mon guys, you need to do A LOT better here. Without my noise cancelling headphones, I could not use this amplifier.

Without reengineering of the fans, and air path sonics, this amp can never be the accepted classic the K3 is. Get back to work, Elecraft.

WC4X Rating: 5/5 Jun 30, 2018 18:53 Send this review to a friend
Fantasic product  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
The big brown truck showed up yesterday afternoon with my new KPA 1500 S/N 300. It looks like Elecraft is quickly working thru the backlog.

Took a few hours to unpack and do initial testing into dummy load and all went well. Perfect timing---worked the KH1 dxpedition for my first 3 contacts using this amp. (20, 17, and 160 all CW). This amp is a pleasure to use and achieves full legal limit effortlessly and quietly. What a joy!! Integration with the K3s makes operating a real pleasure. For an ultimate station, I do not see how one could beat the K3s/ KPA1500 combination. The K3s digs them out of the noise and the KPA 1500 reels them in. If I could give this amplifier a rating higher than a ď5Ē, I would do so. Expensive---yes. Well worth it---absolutely!!

K9YEQ Rating: 5/5 Jun 26, 2018 01:31 Send this review to a friend
WOW!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
THis amp is beyond my expectations. Just a few hours of operation... I am a simpleton. I ragchew on 75 and 160. Band condx suck. I have experience with other amps... this one is so far beyond expectations for what I do. I had a THP 2.5 KFX which I sold because it was too heavy for me to move (yes I am getting up their in years and the Co went out of business) so I gave a great deal to a very nice fellow HAM. I then acquired a KPA500, which was very nice. When the KPA1500 came out, I decided to get the extra gain and bought this one. My K3S picks signals out of poor condx, so needed to match my receiver to an amp that would match the situation. Tried it tonight for several hours and whatever I could hear, I could work. On the other end, stations not using K3S's could not hear me on low power, but I could hear them Q5, with the amp we connected. Simple. No issues. No faults. But a very simple setup. Fan noise in my operation... could not hear it. I noted the Power supply was running only by putting my hand above the fan. My shack does have dehumidifier and the receiver has lot of atmospheric noise. This is by far the best in my experience. Hats off to Elecraft for another superb piece of equipment!

WB4OOA Rating: 5/5 Jun 22, 2018 21:47 Send this review to a friend
A GAME CHANGER  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I Just received my KPA-1500 serial number 00259. It is on the air now and is working better than I expected with my Elecraft K3S. It is small; light weight; and has not too much fan noise. It is like having a K3S 1500w transceiver. It really is changing the amplifier industry. Most amplifier companies are now scrambling to build new solid state amplifiers. I like the KPA-1500 a lot and I can highly recommend it. The quality of components and construction is second to none. Elecraft is a fantastic company and stands behind their equipment better than anyone else I know of.

K6RIM Rating: 5/5 May 16, 2018 06:33 Send this review to a friend
KPA1500 Hits a Home Run!   Time owned: 0 to 3 months
The KPA1500, Elecraftís new solid state legal limit amp, is exactly the amplifier for which I have been waiting a long time.

It is instant-on, plug and play, compact, lightweight, legal-limit, quiet, robust, perfect QSK - and it includes a lightning-fast built-in antenna tuner! The fit and finish of the KPA1500 is second to none.

In my six decades of hamming, Iíve owned and operated many amplifiers, and hands down, the KPA1500 is by far the best.

The KPA1500 is not my first Elecraft amplifier. Iíve owned a KPA500 for around five years. My positive experience with the KPA500 gave me the confidence to order the KPA1500 sight unseen. The KPA500 has been 100% dependable and trouble-free. Originally, it was purchased to serve as backup for my big-boy Alpha 9500, but very quickly the KPA500 was called upon 95% of the time. I wonít part with the KPA500; itís now in addition to the KPA1500.

In choosing any radio product, itís important to consider the support of the manufacturer. Elecraft has a well-deserved reputation for being responsive to its customers. To date, I have not required service from Elecraft, but my questions always received prompt and courteous attention. I have complete confidence in the company.

The new Elecraft KPA1500 was worth the wait!