Reviews Categories | Receivers: General Coverage | XHDATA D-808 Portable Help

Reviews Summary for XHDATA D-808 Portable
XHDATA D-808 Portable Reviews: 2 Average rating: 4.0/5 MSRP: $66.68
Description: XHDATA Portable Digital Radio FM stereo/ SW / MW / LW SSB Air Band Multi Band Radio Speaker with LCD Display, Alarm Clock
More info: http://www.radiwow.com

You can write your own review of the XHDATA D-808 Portable.

PJMM Rating: 4/5 Jan 20, 2018 09:14 Send this review to a friend
Good little receiver full of features   Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Excellent receiver and technically well designed. There is a similar receiver in the market (Digitech AR1780) but it have a issue with the battery consumption when the radio is off as it draws around 3mA and it depletes the batteries in a few weeks if the radio is powered off. XHDATA D-808 doesn't exhibits the same issue as it only draws 90uA , very similarly as other legendary receivers as the Grundig G6.
Sound is excellent and display is very well lighted. SSB is very sensitive. Very happy with it.

PHILNIC99 Rating: 4/5 Jan 16, 2018 08:54 Send this review to a friend
Value for money, handy size and decent performer  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I stumbled on this radio after reading some reviews on swling.com; originally I was intending to get a CCrane Skywave SSB, but after reading about the reported quality issues, I plumped for the lesser known XHDATA D-808. Im glad I did.
Lets start with a baseline reference; for me its the GP5-SSB for two reasons. Firstly, the price and secondly the size. Ive seen comparisons with the Tecsun PL660 but I dont think this is an apples-for-apples comparison.
Firstly price - the website advertise the quoted as being 96% off; not sure I get this but its still good value IMHO.
I use my radios mainly for SW SSB - utility monitoring primarily aviation HF; the radio feels sturdy , decent aerial with simple button layout, leather carry bag, and the website advertises further features:

1. FM stereo / MW / LW/ SW SSB and Air Band radio, with high sensitivity and good selectivity, and the user-operation friendly
2. Adopt DSP (Digital Signal Processing) technique,analog high and medium frequency circuit and many frequency conversion,highly improve the receiver sensitivity, selectivity and anti image interference capability
3. FM reception range of 64 ~ 108MHz, suitable for global FM radio reception
4. Shortwave Single Side Band (SSB) minimum step is 1kHz, Upper Side Band (USB) and Lower Side Band (LSB) reception independent
5. SW external antenna jack
6. Independent speed double tuner
7. Many ways of selecting station: Automatic Search (ATS); Manually search the radio frequency (VF); Direct input frequency figures; Directly enter the stored station address number etc.
8. Can store up to 500 radio frequencies, divided into 50 storage pages
9. Timing boot regularly and Sleep timer shutdown function
10. Power supply : DC IN 5V,with Mirco -USB jack,also can be used to charge the battery .
11. 18650 lithium battery, USB charge cable, stereo headphones, external antenna, leather bag included in this radio package.

Frequency range is as follows:
FM: 87.5 108(64-108)MHz
LW: 150 - 450kHz
MW: 522 - 1620kHz(9k Step)
520 - 1710 kHz(10k step)
SW: 1711 - 29999kHz
AIR:118 - 137kHz

The display is clear, frequency readout, page/memory number, and then there is a display button that allows toggle between time/alarm/meter/temperature (the meter has two elements which are quirky - see the manual).

I found the sound quality to be pretty decent, better when using earphones, and the fine tune thumbwheel worked well. The reception of SSB was pretty stable and clear, off the aerial in the UK I was able to receive New York Radio on 13 Mhz mid-afternoon as well as associated mid-Atlantic traffic. When the radio switches on in SSB mode, arrows scroll across the screen for about 3 seconds before reception commences - not a deal breaker, more a quirk.
Airband I tried out, and was surprised how reasonable the reception was; I was able to clearly pick up traffic in the air over 100 miles away.

Sockets - external earphone and mini-USB socket only, no line out socket.
Memories - 500 broken down into 100 for each band, so 100 for SW, 100 for AIRBAND and so on; took me a while to figure out as the instruction book is minimal but got there. Memory entry is straight forward as is page selection.

Ease of use - after figuring out the memories, I found the radio user-friendly and the buttons were responsive; I also got used to the volume and fine tune thumbwheels quickly and the radio sits nicely in the hand. Comfortable when walking the dog in a field.

Conclusion - I would recommend this as a budget entry-level SSB radio - its not a ATS-909X or a SONY, but it was never intended to be; I like it because its handy, goes in my pocket, pretty decent reception for my needs. From what I see on the website, the price goes back to normal (whatever that is) in 15 days , which is mid-February. I like it.