Reviews Categories | Ham radio kits | uBitx Help

Reviews Summary for uBitx
uBitx Reviews: 12 Average rating: 3.9/5 MSRP: $109
Description: Multi band multi mode HF transceiver kit
More info: http://www.hfsignals.com/

You can write your own review of the uBitx.

N8YG Rating: 5/5 Jun 26, 2019 16:27 Send this review to a friend
Great little "kit"  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Very easy to get working.. Great little transceiver. I did have a bit of a hard time calibrating the frequency on the rig, until I realized that the calibration was putting out a 10 mHz signal that I could measure with my freq counter and tweak. Once I got beyond that.. I reflashed the firmware with CEC FW and now have ordered an AGC board.. and will probably get the nextion display. How much more fun can you get out of $139.00 DHL sipped?

W4BRX Rating: 1/5 Jun 17, 2019 18:42 Send this review to a friend
Not at all as advertised....Dud  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Recently, I purchased a V5 of this QRP rig. The Website says board ships factory aligned and ready to play. NOT! My board arrived with no parameters calibrated. After frustrating 4 hrs of trying to calibrate, I made fatal error of changing operating system to another software. This software is defective, not allowing access to calibration menu. The original V5.1 software is not available from vendor. My rig now totally unusable. Terrible buyers remorse here.

KA9KOJ Rating: 3/5 Apr 16, 2019 05:09 Send this review to a friend
Ok  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Bought my ubitx kit last year.easy build and installed all new relays axiom.installed new filter and coil mods for harmonics and spurs.installed nextion 3.2 touch screen display.radio works as described but transmitting into a dummy load I used another transceiver and did the harmonics check.horrible on all bands 2,3,4,5,6, harmonics would peg my s meter on my icon.if you have any regards for rules and regulations,don't transmit until its clean.I'm still working to clean mine up but use it for listening for band openings.I do give credit for the price.All bands for less than a single bander.after cleaning up,I will rate this rig a 5.

KD7RDZI2 Rating: 5/5 Feb 3, 2019 10:09 Send this review to a friend
Smells like HAM spirit - updated review  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
This is currently the only HF multiband SSB/CW QRP (QRP? ... mine shows 14w on 40m) on the market at the price of a monoband QRP transceiver. I made two important mods. 1) I replaced original relays (I have uBitx ver.3) with Axicom relays to improve odds harmonics rejection. 2) To increase SSB average output power preventing unwanted splattering I added a Plessey SL6270C Vogad compressor. Modulation sounds good, effective, punchy even when speaking very low.
The really nice thing of this rig is you can tailor and customize the rig in many ways. The BITX20@groups.io is just the best Customer Service a ham could desire: ask, get the right answer, do your own homework, learn, give the right answer to others. Do yourself a favor, get one if you don't have it already!

-----------Original review----------
This is a BESTSELLER. I had been waiting more than 3 months to have it because of the high demand. Modulation is outstanding. I found my unit perfectly aligned. The carrier is well suppressed as the opposite sideband. Its stock several poles filter is a marvel. The circuit was designed to keep it simple and effective.
Is it perfect? I would say it might become perfect if CW worked out of the box with whatever paddle, stright key or PC. It needs to be improved here. AGC is missing, so you cannot use headphones. SSB average output power might be increased a little bit. Of course there is a trade-off with linearity. A switchable compressor would be nice.
Congratulations to the designer who has shown to be innovative both in the product and in the business model.

N5KBP Rating: 5/5 Feb 2, 2019 19:09 Send this review to a friend
Great little QRP kit  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
If you are a tinkerer this kit is right in your wheelhouse. If you are an appliance operator the uBitx is not for you. This little all HF band SSB/CW rig comes as a populated pc board and a bag of parts. That's it. You have to supply a case and put it all together. As soon as you put it together you will want to modify it and there are a wealth of modifications out there. You will definitely want to add a TFT touch display using the nextion display and KD8CEC's firmware as a start. As far as the low audio problem. Get a lm386 module off of Amazon for less than $5 and solve it don't whine about it. That's what tinkering is about. This is a < $150 incomplete kit not a >$500 IcomKenwoodYaesu ready to go rig. It is a toy to play with. The firmware is open source and based on the Arduino platform so you can hack to your hearts content. So if you like the smell of solder and the exhilaration of something you built working when you throw the power switch this is the for you.

WA2AC Rating: 2/5 Jan 29, 2019 13:35 Send this review to a friend
poor  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Not ready for prime time.Bad audio amp that is sold defective and not addressed .Menus dont work correctly.If you like being frustrated, buy this kit.

VA3WL Rating: 5/5 Aug 24, 2018 17:11 Send this review to a friend
V2 and V3 Outstanding  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Started with the Bitx40 which worked well and a great bargain at the price
Did a uBitx version 2 and 3 which both worked fine after using alignment setting from KD8CEC. BTW KD8CEC has "blow you socks off" software mods and a touchscreen displace that vivals many full feature transceivers.
This is a kit that works well as in and has great potential for mods - even if you just want to copy mods from others.
Have make multi hundred mile contacts on 80, 40 and 20.
For Canadians use the Indian Postal option; DHL is fast but they collect Customs and Brokerage charges.

PA0RCL Rating: 1/5 Aug 11, 2018 16:36 Send this review to a friend
Not a fun kit  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
The latest version of the kit (version 4) has a design problem, in my view. Audio is low and distorted. The manufacturer so far has not offered a fix to the problem. The culprit seems to be the audio amplifier.

How difficult can it be for a renowned designer of HF radio kits like HF signals to come up with an acceptable design for an audio amplifier?

The slogan for the uBitx is; "just waiting te be modified". I think it should read: "just waiting to be improved". Give it a go, folks at HF signals!

Because of he design problem the uBitx version 4 I can only give it 1 point out of 5: the kit is practically useless, I am sorry......

N1IG Rating: 5/5 Jul 9, 2018 20:42 Send this review to a friend
Great HF Kit  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have read about various Bits kits over the last few years, and just happened ago wander across an article on the uBitx HF QRP kit. It looked very interesting, so I did a littler searching on google, and everything I read about this kit was extremely positive.

I ordered the kit on 28JUNE2018 and it arrived by DHL on 03JULY2018. I did a quick breadboard on the cardboard box it came in, and fired it up. The receive sensitivity is very good, and its is extremely easy to operate.

There are a few groups on FaceBook, where people are sharing all sorts of modifications, as well as really nice housings for the radio.

For $139 delivered, you can't beat the radio at the price. Or even at a higher price.

Want a fun kit?>. This is the one to get!

KG4DXJ Rating: 5/5 May 16, 2018 04:31 Send this review to a friend
Outstanding for the price  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Where else can you find a customizable yet already functional HF transceiver for a price even close to this? This is amateur radio fun at its best for newcomers as well as old timers. This radio gives you the opportunity to explore a variety of different disciplines such as software development, hardware design and just plain tinkering. I originally bought it to build and leave at a family members place for when I am visiting but already plan on buying a few more to play with. It wont perform like a Yaesu, Kenwood or ICOM but then it also doesn't cost you $$$.